“Barcelo Costa, Great Vaca!”

Occidental Costa Cancun
Ranked #48 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was my first time to Cancun, so with that being said I dont have much to compare it to, but over all had a fantastic time! Very few complaints (which I will get to later) but mostly positive! The beach here was beautiful! Spent MOST of my time right there on it, in the water and on the beach chairs, which in September there are plenty!!! This Hotel was so clean, and the staff was very nice! They clean the beach all day everyday so its always nice, and the grounds themselves are impeccable! Everytime I looked someone was cleaning something which was very nice! Our room was on the top floor, the 7th, with an ocean view which did not disappoint! The balcony was very spacious, and had a hammock to use as well, although I didnt much because of the humidity in the Cancun air, I believe there was mildew or something in it due to the smell, but was a nice touch! The bathroom and shower were huge and the room was comfortable and spacious for us! The housekeeping here was also wonderful! We had a VERY efficient Housekeeper who spoiled us, and kept our room neat and tidy every single day! Loved her! and she always had a smile on her face, which made it all that more enjoyable! The bus stop is right outside the resort, across the street, and I highly recommend using it! its less than $1 USD, and you can get anywhere you need to go! For directions ask the desk people for the ones outside the lobby dont have the best direction! They had safes in the room, which are very different from ones I'm used to in the US, but worked great! JUST DONT LOSE THE KEY TO THE LOCK!!!! Also the towel/card system is a little inconvenient, I didnt like having to have a card to check out a towel, it made a little bit of a hassle, but still did it! The Lobby bar made the BEST drinks, the other beach bar, not as good...depending on the bartender, they really like to make drinks sweet out there, but cant complain for all inclusive! Drinks in the restaurants were delicious as well! The restaurants were not bad, not the best food I've had, but not bad at all, the buffet on the other hand was terrible! The food choices were poor, the flavors were bland, and most things looked as though they were premade hours before service. I was very very very disappointed in that buffet. I like a lot of flavor, and fresh food and found neither in that place during the entire week I stayed. Even breakfast, which is simple, was a huge disappointment. I recommend getting your reservations for the restaurants and making it into them whenever possible to avoid eating in the buffet. Being a Seattle resident one thing I was so pleased to find throughout the entire resort (even the buffet) was delicious coffee! Another thing that didnt set well with me was the complete and total lack of cold beverages. EVERYTHING is warm!! I had enough warm Carona to last me a lifetime, if you are drinking, anything, get it on ice, otherwise it will be warm! Even the in room mini-fridge only kept them luke warm...not refreshing on a hot humid day! One saving grace in that department was right next door is the Pirate Tavern where they are fully stocked with ice cold beer! Best beers I had my whole trip were right there! Barcelo Costa had nightly entertainment, and offered wifi (which I feel was over priced) but its nice to be able to use your phone here and there! I wish they had restrooms in the restaurants, and one closer to the beach area, for the bathrooms were VERY inconvenient, it was frustrating to be in dinner having a nice meal and having to walk outside and clear across the pool area to use the restroom. and my only other complaint, which isnt major is that within the resort gift shop, front desk (for wifi and things) they only accept pesos. Being from the US, and so many others from the same I feel it would be easier on the guests if they accepted either, USD, or Pesos. The front desk does do a complimentary currency exchange but it is quite a hassle. You MUST have your passport every single time, fill out paperwork, sign your life away then get the pesos, so be prepared for that! Over all my stay was relaxing, warm. and comfortable, and the people were very kind and accommodating! I would recommend Barcelo Costa to friends and family with the full disclosure of the inconveniences I found along the way. Beautiful and clean resort, with fun, beautiful beach and easy access to the rest of the city!

Room Tip: 7th floor, rooms with a view are worth the money! The balconies are bigger, and if you like fresh ai...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Debbie T
Write a ReviewReviews (6,007)

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at the hotel July 2012 with a group of 19 friends aged between 20-32. We had a great time, the hotel and other guests were great company. The rooms are very spacious with giant bathrooms and adequate balconies with hammocks :) there were 3 in our room and one of our party slept on a camp bed which she said was very comfy. With our party being as big as it was i was able to see a few different types of room in different sections of the buildings which i would have been happy to stay in all.
breakfast was best meal of the day with fresh omlettes and really nice sausage! we didnt eat as a big group but was always able to get seating together.lunch was nice but if you ate a big brekkie and lunch you didnt always feel like tea so i didnt eat there much on the evening.
there is a 24 hr snack bar where you can get pizza salad soda and hot dogs so we just used to have them later of a night.
the tickets for the clubs sold by the hotel was good value which included transport. we always booked through them
the pool side entertainment was fun, just get invovled once and they'll love you!
there was two things i found poor. being a big group it took them nearly an hour to check us in, which after a 10 hour flight you caught at 6am was not great! i would have thought they would have been more organised.
another was the a la carte. you have to pre order and being a big group they gave us a limited menu. which is pointless considering you have to pre order anyway!! so why we had a reduced menu when we paid the same as everyone else was frustrating, but the food we had was good. the spanish restaurant tried to serve our veggie a plate of stir fry noodles till we told them to do one and get her a proper meal though!
pool side service was good. if you are polite to the staff they are polite back - it makes sense.
the beach area is lovely and so is the hotel itslef - i would definatly go back.
location wise this hotel is great to get to pirate ship and catermaran day trip. you two min walk from the bus stop which is like 10p to get to the centre. taxis range from $10-$20 depending on time of day and amount of passengers.
you can also get Dominos delivered to your room!
however i wouldnt book with Thomsons! they were a waste of space, but his is about Barcelo not Thomson.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room and didnt get any hasstle with bugs and was close to the pool, but we was...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Brummie-Kim
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Customer,
Greetings, thanks for choosing Barceló Costa Cancún It was a pleasure to have you with us,
Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services,
We hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you happen to visit Cancun in the future.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

The hotel is in a good location, very close to main attractions. Very friendly staff with great service. Lots of things to do through the day. Anyone that travels to Mexico will not be disapointed. The bars and clubs have great music and entertainment to match. For me I would definitely come back. Only one thing I think should change and that would be the saxophone player on the evening

2  Thank Zumbagirl75

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Love the Barcelo hotel! Met some great new friends and had a blast! Will definitely be back next year!!! Entertainment staff made the holiday fun! Food also great! If you want a fun holiday with a great atmosphere,,,,, this is for you!

Dear Customer
Thank you for choosing the Barceló Costa Cancún during your trip to Cancun. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our service.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Came in a group of 4 young girls for 2 weeks and barcelo costa met all our expectations. The only downside was booking all our nights out with the Thomas cook rep instead of with the hotel as they didn't include travel and tables which the hotel did. The service was excellent and the rooms were cleaned everyday. Would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012
mpgiesemann, Marketing at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed here for 2 weeks with my fiancee in September 2010. On arrival I was instantly impressed with the room. This was immaculately clean, contained a large double bed which was great to sleep in. The bathroom was spacous and modern. There was a fully stocked minibar in the room which contained lager, soft drinks and even chocolate. This would be re stocked daily as well as the room cleaned to a high standard.
Generally speaking the hotel caters younger people and there were quite a few groups. Round the pool in the day there would be music and games with quite a lively atmosphere. This is not club hotel 18-30 but if you are looking for absolute peace all day this may not be for you. The beach adjoiing the hotel is much quiter. It is situauted in a bay where the water is much calmer and tranquil. It does not have the absolutely turqouise sea that you see on the postcards of cancun. I did visit some of the other beaches and the sea is actually so rough that you can hardly go in so this is a much better place to just relax in the sea I spent a great deal of my holiday just chilling here and reading a book. There is bar on the beach where you can order lager, cocktails, soft drinks etc and you can even order fast food which is all part of the inclusive deal. If you want to relax at somewhere alittle more picturesque you can always walk further up the beach. These are all completely public property regardless if these sit next to any particular hotel. The food at the hotel was better than average. I especially liked the buffet style restaurant where there was a really good selection of foods from around the world on offer everyday. The other restuarants you must book before visiting and I was less impressed with thw food in these. One night I ordered the venison in the mexicam restuarant which quite unpleasant. This may have just been a one off and I would suggest you try these out for yourselves. The service in these was at all times excellent. I would defeintely recommend this hotel but if you are an older person or more conservative in nature this may not be for you. Some incidents I recall were mexican locals who walk the length of the beach offering everything on the beach from cigars, jewellery and even drugs (i'm sure you will get this at all the hotels). There is of course the Cancun nighlife and I did bump into some of the returning clubbers one morning about 7am in the morning. This group of people where in the 24 hour bar and were absolutely paralectic. I actually found this quite funny but it really depends on your sense of humour. These incidents were generally few and far between. There is of course the US Spring break when thousands of US students head to Cancun and I imagine staying in Cancun during this period would be a quite different. Overall there is so much to do in the local area, with plenty of restaurants, ecological centres, beaches. If you visit Cancun make sure you take the toured guide of Chitchen Itza. It truly is one of the wonders of the world.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Myself and my boyfriend stayed at this hotel from 4-18 September 2012. Check-in process took quite a while and we weren't happy with the first room we were given as there was small flys in our bed, so asked to be moved and we were. Our second room was much nicer and we got a double bed each!! Minibar fridge was great, stocked everyday. Wasn't stocked one day and 5 mins after calling reception they arrived to restock. Room cleaned everyday!

Staff in reception could be a bit off a times! Wi-fi ISN'T free which I was surprised at! It's quite expensive too! Works out at around £4 for 1 hour and £7 for a day!

Food was lovely although after two weeks it didn't get slightly boring, but that's to be expected. Beach was clean but there were lots of wasps around and around the pool too! Beach bar isn't brill...the staff can sometimes see you waiting to get a drink and carry on chatting or walk away and leave you stood there.

Staff around the pool bringing you drinks are lovely, although one of the waitresses was nice one day, then off with you the next!

Only went in the swimming pool twice, with people going in with sun cream on and the chemicals in the pool it tended to make things go green! Didn't happen to me but a girl there with blonde hair ended up with blue hair!! In our second week they had put notices around asking people to use the pool showers before going swimming. You also get beach towels everyday too.

The Bazar is very expensive! Take a trip to Wallmart, much cheaper!

The snack bar was ok...seen a wasp on the food once which put me off! Entertainment at night was average and they stopped playing music around 10pm so not much atmosphere. Some obvious drug taking happening at night too, a group of Spanish lads. And it was so obvious what they were doing but didn't seem to get caught. Think the hotel may even be in on it as one night we ate at the restaurant they have a when I asked for a Coke his reply was "liquid??" which implied to me that if I was that kind of person and did want drugs the waiter could have probably given me some!, rather dodgy!!!

Oh and for girls going away...your GHDs won't work, the voltage isn't high enough in Mexico. Unfortunately I didn't know this until I got there! Our rep was brilliant and I'd advise you to buy a mozzy band, I didn't and never got bitten.

Overall a great holiday, would definitely return to Cancún but would stay at a different hotel!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple