“Great value for money, came home happy”

Occidental Costa Cancun
Ranked #44 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
London, England, United Kingdom
“Great value for money, came home happy”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We have stayed in some amazing hotels in our time and have to say the barcelo is one of the best!! The staff literally cannot do enough for you and work really hard!! Check in was slow, but understandably as there was a coachload of people. The room was huge, comfy bed, big tv with a good selection of english channels. The bathroom was lovely with a massive walk in shower! The minibar was alrght, just contained some cans of fizzy drinks, a few coronas, water and some peanuts. One day our minibar wasnt refilled and when we called down they said they couldn't do it as it was after 5pm [very annoying] Roomservice was generally good but once it took over an hour to arrive and was cold. Theese were the only negative experiences all holiday though. The beach was nice, the water was lovely, lots of loungers every day and the pool was also nice! As we were there over xmas we upgraded to the Jacuzzi room on xmas eve and it was AMAZING!! Literally double the size of the standard room, your own bar, a chez lounge and the balcony was hugeee, pool & sea view, two sun loungers and a hamock. Not to mention the jacuzzi was lush. Basically if you can go here DO! If you can afford to upgrade DO! The food was varied and tasty, always more than enough choice and always something we liked. We didnt go to the a la cartes as the buffet was that good. Also theres a 24hour place where u can get food and drinks yourself, its really handy when you cant be botherd to go to the resturant or bar, my partner went and made us baileys coffees in the morning to have in our room, lovely! Also were a bit cheeky and took a bottle to have in the hottub on xmas day.

Lovely little hotel and we would love to go back there, probably wont as there are so many others to choose from but adored the barcelo and cancun

Room Tip: We were 516 and this had a good view of the stage for entertainment in the eves, not much else, late...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Frances B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Room was not prepared upon arrival. The fridge was not stocked. When informed front desk...was told they would report it. Still no one came to stock it. They didn't stock it the next day either! The women at the front desk were rude, unhelpful, and had attitudes that they didn't like their jobs! Customer service needs to be addressed to them. The gentlemen were very helpful however. Still no fridge stocked though. Ordered room service and they forgot about me. I called hour later and was told oh they busy. Waited 20 more minutes then finally someone came and said no charge for it. I should hope so...I thought this was all incusive?

I have stayed at other Barcelo Hotels and they were by FAR 5 star class....this costa.....3!

The food was not up to classification either. Most looked as though sat in buffet for too long. Hambuger was red inside still.

The whole time there just felt uneasy and NOT comfortable. Only comfortable I felt was alone in my room and my bed. The bed was a plus comfortably.

Sorry Barcelo but you need to check into that particular resort. I still will stay at other locations.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank HeatherCat7
Manchester, United Kingdom

Young couple 25 & 29

Good points
:) very clean cosy room.
:) lovely clean small beach.
:) price very cheap.
:) great for young couples, brilliant for groups. alot of groups when we went.
:) good entertainment day & night.
:) staff very friendly.

Bad points
:( we were both quiet poorly after the 2nd day dont no if i can blame hotel or just mexico.
:( couldnt get drunk as after every drink need to go toilet (sorry but needed to say)so after a week of trying just drank water.
:( food really not good. if food and dinning is your main activity don't go here. buffet tastes better than it looks but need to be carful.
:( can book in restaurants which are better than buffet but get really boring same food.
:( too far from the centre ok if you dont mind getting the bus just not walking distance.
:( spent alot of time in the room watching tv, the activity staff called us lazy ( in a nice way) as we never joined in any activities but we couldn't join in as we had to run to the toilet if we did more than walking :(

Being poorly did spoil our holiday but spoke to other people on the hotel who were ok, so might not of been the food. i would of defiantly paid the extra to experience the best parts of cancun and stay in a 5* hotel if you are travelling all that way. a brilliant hotel for groups of young people who want to eat chips n burger and just get drunk.

I dont like to moan just wanted to be honest but this is only my opinion.

Dont miss
- coco bongos- ( we had to leave early cos of toilet problems) but brilliant.
-explor

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kimberly H
Reviewed January 3, 2012

well what can I say me and my girlfriend come to this hotel on the 20th November 2011. We both booked the holiday before looking at the reviews on trip advisor we wer both worried to what we had read. The staff wer all friendly the entertainment staff wer excellent. Same with the bar staff,cleaners,and pool side attendants. The rooms are big and very clean with large showers. The pool was good and was enough sun loungers for everyone. A 10 second walk from the pool you will be at the private beach again with loads of sun loungers there's also a beach bar which is great. I have to name out LORENZO. What a guy. He will give you his lorenzo cocktails and they are all great. There is a wide range of music played around the pool area till 8pm. The night time shows start at 10pm. The lobby where the main bar is alright on the night but when we wer here the younger and the younger at heart would go down the beach bar because it was more lively. They had a saxophone player in the lobby and that wasn't our cup of tea and would send us tired lol. That is the only bad thing. But the beach bar is great anyway, it's got everything that you need. The food is good too. The buffet resterant has a wide variety of food. The breakfast gets abit boring on the 2nd week. The Spanish,seafood,and Mexican resterants are all great resterants. They make you feel really special. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. If anyone has any questions on this hotel. Email me on njpodmore@hotmail.com

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Nathan511
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Very average hotel. Can't complain too much due to the price (£890 / week) However, if I was to go again, I would pay the extra couple of hundred pounds each and go back to one of the Riu's which have stayed in before and are fabulous, as the buffet food at the Barcelo was generally poor (and luke warm) and bar staff only helpful if tipped first ! We did eat there for 3 days and then went out every night after that.The balcony was only just big enough to stand on with just a view of other balconies. Dissapointing with such beautiful beach scenery available at other hotels. Rooms were clean, bathroom very small and beds quite comfy.

4 Thank Fluffy11051976
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We stayed at the Barcelo Costa for two weeks between Nov 12th and Nov 26th (four girls, aged 25-27). The hotel was great, it was very clean and spacious - the waiters even wore masks over their mouths when they cooked food. The weather in November was gorgeous and we all came home with a nice tan which was good as we really wanted to come back to rainy, cold Wales with a nice tan! The staff were all friendly and helpful and the food was gorgeous. I do love seafood anyway and there were lots of it to try. The a la carte restaurants were amazing especially the seafood restaurant. I preferred sunbathing by the beach as I did find that the pool area was a little too loud especially as I do like reading on holiday (the only time I actually have the patience to read a book!). The beach area was great - quiet, white sands, plenty of sun loungers - I always wanted to catch as many rays as possible and I was able to do this but there were also plenty of sunloungers in the shade. Every day you could pose with a different animal, the animals were very cute but I decided not to try this because you never know whether it's cruel or whether they are well looked after - hopefully they are. It was great to have a tv in the hotel as we got to watch English speaking channels. We felt very safe in the hotel, guards surrounded the hotel at night. We went on the pirate ship one night and it wasn't really my cup of tea - a bit cheesy to be honest and we were on a boat for 4 hours HOWEVER, the food was absolutely amazing! - the pirate ship meal was prob the best meal I had - lobster and steak were cooked beautifully but I don't think I would do the ship again because it wasn't my thing. We also did xhelha which you must do - it is a national park/beach where you can zip wire, snorkle, go round on rubber rings - really worth doing! Also spend a day at Dolphin beach (a public beach that is a short bus ride away) beautiful beach. I would also recommend you to go to the isla majures, we spent a day there and I would have liked to have spent another day there if we had had more time - beautiful beach and shops. Also try the spar at the hotel, I had a full body massage and pedicure - I loved the pedicure but my massage was too rough, but I wouldn't blame the masseuse for this - I should have told her that it was too rough when I was having my massage (everyone is different, and some people prob would have liked it like that). My two friends also had a massage there and said it was amazing. I do recommend the Barcelo, I can't really think of anything bad to say about it.

8 Thank Catherine K
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2011

The Barcelo Costa was very clean with bedding and towels changed daily and the mini bar also re filled daily. I wasn't sold on the food in the hotel, I never tried the restaurants that you have to book into as we chose to go into Cancun and go out for a meal. Don't get me wrong the food could have been much worse but it really wasn't my cup of tea..... The breakfast had a good selection, luch was ok but the main meals always seemed a bit poor. The plus side to thiswas that I never gained any holiday weight :)
The trips booked through First Choice were good alough I was a little dissapointed on the trip to Chichen Itza, the whole day we were badgered for tips and though the pyramids were amazing the whole place was like a market and you were CONSTANTLY harrassed to buy stuff, you couldn't just browse without people being really pushy. Also when we were on the tour with the guide locals kept approaching and trying to sell you stuff, It was just a bit off putting.
Back to the Hotel, the entertainment at night varied, some nights it was qute good to watch and other nights it was just horrific noise, this only lasted and hour however...... The saxophone man in the bar put us off sitting there, it was so loud that you had to shout to have a conversation and although he played it well it really was just a drone.
The staff in the hotel are all very friendly and hard working. I had a little bother with the front desk on departing but all in all my stay was pleasurable. The pool and beach were really clean. But would I reccommend this hotel to others, maybe not......

5 Thank hayley M