“Disappointed”

and up
Private Sailing Tour to Isla Mujeres with Open Bar
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Albatros Catamarans, offers sailing tours from Cancun to Isla Mujeres. Also offers an exclusive Luxury Catamarans that it has all the facilities and amenities provided by a yatch.
Mt Zion
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed in Cancun and booked this trip through Apple Vacations, it was not good. We were put on a boat with 65 other people and not given anything to drink while we sat in the hot sun and waited for everyone to load and the other boats around us. Then we got a small cup of water. We snorkeled "fin to fin" for about 40 minutes, it was for the advanced swimmer. Then we went to the Isle. Dont waste your time, its dirty and cheap there were no bathrooms except the one that they sent us too and we were 30 deep for one stall. We waded out into the water thats how terrible it was. Even the 20 years old were not happy, I would never do another trip like this. We had breakfast at 9am at our resort and it was 3pm before we lined up for the buffet which was just ok. No sooner then we ate it time to line up again and get back on the boat. It just felt like we were cattle. At the very end of the trip the crew tried to make it fun but the drinks were very limited, I think I got 5 small cups all day.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Sheri H

Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wonderful Day Trip....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Staff were very attentive to everyone on board. We opted for the Platinum Package and would do so again. The boat is designed to hold about 30 people and we sailed with about 15. There was time to snorkle, shop, enjoy a beach buffet and relax.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Franahan54
Minneapolis, Minnesota
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great experience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I booked a trip through a discount site for $45 a person, and were a tad nervous about it LOL. Turned out to be fine. We showed up and were a bit surprised to see SOOOO many people at the marina. They had several boats all taking off at the same time. We got placed on the smallest catamaran called the "Brista" - at first we were bummed we got the smallest boat, but we quickly found out this was a blessing in disguise! Our boat had only 15 or so people on it, while every other boat we saw had TONS of people just PACKED in like sardines. We had plenty of room on our boat. Sailing across the water on the way over to Isla Mujeres was my favorite part....the water was absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. We were perched on the front of one of the bows and every time we hit a wave, we'd all get splashed - it was an absolute blast.

Snorkeling was a bit chaotic, as other reviewers noted. My husband and I had been snorkeling in Hawaii before, and we're both good swimmers, so we LOVED it. There were many small fish in the water around us. Not much for coral, but oh well. I could easily see how this would have been scary for someone who'd never snorkeled. The waves were pretty large and there were people in the water from all the other boats, which resulted in the guides screaming our boat names the entire time. That was kind of strange. I kept making sure my husband was next to me and not lost in the sea of people LOL.

The lunch was less than impressive - we bought a drink bracelet for $10 a person - DON'T DO IT. We couldn't get service while we were there and ended up only getting 1 drink each....1 bad drink each. Oh well. The "shopping" portion of the trip was also not very good. They tell you to go to this one particular shop, who tried mercilessly to get my husband to buy a $16 teeeeeeny cigar. Magnets there were $10!!! All the other shops we went to after were like 4 for $10....so they obviously had a deal going with the shop. shopping was a bit chaotic as well - the shop owners yelling at you every step....very annoying. We did not enjoy this part.

The guides on our boat were great. They offered us drinks or Corona's constantly - i turned it down many times and still had quite a few drinks LOL. As I read over my own review, it sounds kind of bad, but I think we just loved the sailing part and the water so much, that's what we remember.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Waste of time and money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

We just returned from this trip and just now decided to read the reviews to see if others experienced the same lame trip we had. I am in histerics reading some spot-on reviews as we are definitely not alone in our disappointment. At least we enjoyed the humorously accurate characteristcs of this adventure as mentioned by others! As PT Barnum once said, "there's a sucker born every minute". Be advised, that all the negative reviews here are an accurate reflection of what we ourselves experienced.

4 Thank Chiguy12
Boston, Massachusetts
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Torn on this one”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

A group of 14 of us booked a private catamaran to go snorkeling and take us to Isla Mujeres. The cost was $75 per person. What wasn't included was transportation to and from the dock. No biggy. We took a bus and it was fairly simple. When we arrived, the place was packed with everyone trying to get on the bigger charter boats. They were packed. It was not fun being on the dock with all of these people. They also don't tell you that it costs an additional $7 per person for a dock tax. So now we are up to $82 per person. We got our own catamaran which was great and off we went following the huge groups of people on the packed boats. We got to the snorkeling area, were given equipment, no instruction and told to jump in and hold onto a rope. 4 out of the 14 of us snorkeled. The other 10 freaked out because they could not get their equipment working properly, the water was rough and they were frightened. So off the 4 of us went with the guide. We swam around for over 30 minutes with masses of people around. I kept looking down and saw a sandy bottom. I kept asking the guide, where is the reef and he kept saying this way or asking others where the reef was. How do you lose a reef? He said someone moved their buoy and that is why we could not find the reef. I was mad. My daughter and I have snorkeled all over the world and this was a total bust. Now what do we do? They took us to their private section on Isla Mujeres for lunch. It was disgusting. The kids would not eat the food. If you know their are kids on these tours and I mean a lot of kids, put some kid friendly food on the menu. Don't put bread pudding, short ribs and fish. We finally spoke with our guide Oscar, who we actually thought was a good guy and told him to get us away from the crowds. We sailed to north beach because we did not want to be around the other big touristy boats. I have to say, it was awesome. They do keep the drinks coming. The kids had a blast, we had a wonderful time. Although we did not get what we expected, because we were a group of friends enjoying ourselves and the beautiful weather, it was a great day. The guys on the catamaran were all nice. I think they had their hands tied as to what they could do and not do. I would never use this outfit again. Too touristy. Not enough instruction, food disgusting. Then they have the nerve to charge $20 a photo from their photographer. Again, one of the best days on vacation, but not because of the itinerary, crowds or food.

1 Thank Elizabeth B