“Amazing! Chef Francisco was the best!!!”
Review of Umami

Umami
Reserve a table
Tue, 12/7
8:00 PM
Ranked #2 of 1,467 Restaurants in Cancun
Description: For those looking for a fascinating gastronomic and sensory experience, this avant-garde design restaurant with incredible ocean view allows customers to watch the chefs prepare their dishes directly on their teppanyaki griddles.
Reviewed August 21, 2019 via mobile

Chef Francisco was so funny and he cooked us amazing food would 10/10 recommend him!!! The manager Susan was amazing she also took good care of us. The waiter chutima never made us wait and was always ready to serve us. Can’t forget Joshua the mixologist his drinks were amazing. They brought us a happy anniversary cake st the end and we didn’t even ask for it. Best service

Date of visit: August 2019
DireccionNYX, Gerente at Umami, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2019

We are very thankful you for your excellent comment and for sharing your experience with the Restaurant UMAMI. We are proud to know that you received an excellent service, especially from Susan, Joshua and Francisco. We hope you are coming back soon and be able to continue creating beautiful memories together with unforgettable and unique experiences.

Write a reviewReviews (956)

Reviewed August 20, 2019

Booked our dinner at Umami as we are staying at Nyx Hotel Cancun for our honeymoon. So far this holiday was the best except for the fact that I did had an awful experience dining at Umami. So here’s the story..

As it was a long hot day and jetlag has finally kicked in after being in the hotel for 2 days, expected a nice dinner at this most talked Japanese resto Umami.
The waiter Roman was amazing. Very polite and assisted us well with everything we need. On the other hand, this Chef Francisco came in and asked the guests who understood Spanish. There were 3 couples and only one of the couples do speak and understand Spanish so he was aware of who he’s dealing with which I think was good. So he then started showing off his teppanyaki skills - it was pretty good to be fair. Although he was making this horrible sounds - and made us do the same sound (who would want that on their dinner?!) I guess he thinks he is funny - trying so hard!

So as he was doing all this silly stuff, the appetisers were served and as I was enjoying my Miso soup (take note I am not feeling very well) - a plastic egg just hit my head and everybody started laughing- like what the hell did just happened there? This awful Chef just threw a plastic egg on my head as he was trying to entertain everyone! Well Francisco, you managed to entertain everyone as they laughed at what you did to me but IT WASN’T OK!!!!

I expected an apology but none! I found it awful and disgusting and disrespectful and you call yourself a CHEF? Chefs are professional people being a hotelier myself. And Chefs do not treat guests like that! I never expected this for a fancy Japanese Restaurant!!!

I will take this matter seriously and will make sure this reaches the top and get escalated!!

PS

The restaurant ambiance is lovely. Great interior and great service from the wait staff and hostess.

Food on the other hand that was served to us by this Chef is oily, salty and overall we do not recommend!! We didn’t finish our food because of that. Maybe asked to be entertained and served by another chef.

Also, big thanks to Roman for giving us a slice of cake with honeymoon greetings. Thank you for noticing as well what this bloody Chef did and for apologising on his behalf. That cheered me up before leaving the restaurant.

Negative stars to this Chef and 5 Stars to everyone else in Umami!

2  Thank shobedaily

First of all, receive our sincere apologies, for the inconveniences during your visit to the restaurant UMAMI. We truly regret for the perception that you have about it. We have taken the necessary actions to prevent such situations from recurring. We hope in the future to have the opportunity to serve you again and change the perception you have about the restaurant and our service.
Best regards.

Reviewed August 20, 2019 via mobile

Having dinner here was the highlight of my trip!!

The food was amazing and the service was excellent !! ❤️

Chef Candelario was awesome and kept us entertained . His food was amazing and he was very attentive to my friends dietary restrictions.

Our waiter Roman was so nice and provided great service through out our meal.

The manager Susana was so nice and friendly!

Our hostess Anayelli was so nice and polite and ensured that my friends and I were seated together.

The mixologist Joshua made bomb drinks and kept them coming all night lol.

I could not have asked for a better restaurant experience and staff! Thank you Umami for making my experience in Cancun so amazing ❤️

Date of visit: August 2019

We are very thankful you for your excellent comment and for sharing your experience with the Restaurant UMAMI. We are proud to know that you received an excellent service. We hope you are coming back soon and be able to continue creating beautiful memories together with unforgettable and unique experiences.

Reviewed July 24, 2019 via mobile

We went to Umami when we saw on tripadvisor the great reviews and did expect a lot. But they really lived up to the expectations. We had a really nice waitress named Alejandrina who was so nice and helpfull. We did not need to seek for any attention. She was there when we needed her. The food was great, big compliments to the chefs Angel and Edalberto. We eat sushi every week but this was by far the best we ever had. The manager came up to check on us and had no problems with showing us some stuff and making sure we had an amazing time. Definitely will come back in a few weeks when we come back from our traveling back to Cancun. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!

Date of visit: July 2019
DireccionNYX, Gerente at Umami, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2019

Reviewed July 21, 2019 via mobile

We were very pleased at Umami. The food was delicious but the staff made it even better. Chutima was always aware of our needs and cleaning the space with great disposition and chef Francisco was extremely amazing entertaining us in a unique way and a big smile.Thank you for making our visit the greatest!

Date of visit: July 2019
DireccionNYX, Gerente at Umami, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2019

We are very thankful you for your excellent comment and for sharing your experience with the Restaurant UMAMI. We are proud to know that you received an excellent service, especially from Chutima and Francisco . We hope you are coming back soon and be able to continue creating beautiful memories together with unforgettable and unique experiences.