“It's very good service and friendly staff.”
Review of Grand Oasis Sens

Grand Oasis Sens
Ranked #85 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We arrived at the resort this past week and was excited to see our resort. It was mine and my friends first time trip in Cancun and we were looking forward to having a relaxing weekend stay there. Overall, the place is great. With it being an adult and lgbt friendly resort, it wasn't too loud and no kids running around the pool. One of my favorite moments is meeting two of their outstanding staff. Their names are Arael Ozuna and Sarai Rodriguez at the VIP and concierge desk. Arael was very pleasant from the very beginning when we first checked in at the resort. He explained all of the amenities, what's included and what's not and was very detailed on everything what the resort had to offer. We pretty much saw him every day at the concierge desk and he was kind enough to give us suggestions on where to to go as far as restaurants, clubs, flea market and which bus to take to get there. Sarai did the same things and she always has a bubbly personality and remembered our name from the start of our trip. Overall, I have no complaints except for the towel situation when the machine wasn't working and we had to reuse our towel for a day. It wasn't really a big deal. Anyways, our trip was a lot of fun and I'm so glad we met arael and Sarai. They made our vacation extra special.

Christian

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Cmcrag10
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Dear Christian,

It is a pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your vacations in our hotel and that you enjoyed our adults-only concept and our calm and relaxed environment.

We are glad that you received such excellent service. We are proud to say we have a team always ready to give their best at all times to make every single one of our guests feel at home and make sure they have a wonderful vacation. We will certainly congratulate them for their amazing job.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you again on your next visit to Cancun.
Kind regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,323)

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Rating – I will use a rating scale based on an average American consumer (someone who has to save up for a trip, someone who has a budget, someone who appreciates good quality for a fair price). I was not expecting the Ritz and actually I felt I got more than I paid for!
5 - High-quality – Fair price
4 - Quality – Fair Price
3 - Low Quality – Fair price
2 - Quality – High price
1 – Low Quality – High Price

Oasis Sens: Overall 4+ – Good/High Quality – Fair Price: I would visit again and recommend my friends (but remember, 18 or older only: not intended for family with young children)
Oasis Sens Registration/Checkout – 4
Depending on the time you arrive there can be many people checking in and checking out at the same time. The front desk is not as well staffed during peak times as it could be and there are no signs directing people to check-in vs check-out areas. We were not given full details of what was or was not included (i.e., minibar and such included, beach towel dispensary location, etc..). Overall a bit hectic but they were able to accommodate a room change request as we needed two rooms together.
Oasis Sens Food – 4+
Overall the all inclusive food stations/buffets were very nice, again we were not expecting the Ritz but we do believe they met our expectations. The sushi was a nice surprise while the Mexican restaurant fell a little short. The breakfast buffet is really well done, but with the number of folks coming and going, I recommend eating before 0830 as it gets backed up after 0900. For the general food, I rate a four but some of the places really stand out above the rest
Special note: The Benazuza, Gourmet a la Carte restaurant is a fee based ($50USD/person) but it is a wonderful taste experience. Spend the money as it is a once and a lifetime experience for some and well worth it. Rate - 5
Special note: The Black-hole is free at the all inclusive and another unique experience. Dinner is served n the dark and the mixture of flavors and textures is so well done it will entice anyone from 18 to 75. Rate - 5
Oasis Sens Pools - 4
The quality and cleanliness of the pool areas is in the top of those I have traveled. However, there is a habit of customers getting up very early in the morning and going out to the pool to place one or two personal belongings on the deck chairs to “reserve the spaces”. Unfortunately these folks don’t come back down until around lunch time or even later. The Sens needs to set a policy that chairs are monitored on the ½-hour or so and find some way to stop the “Chair hording”. On a few days they had issues getting towels out fast enough. My crew kept our towels at the end of the day so we had no problems. I would rate the pool area much higher, but the fact that so many empty deck chairs were “reserved” every day does impact the experience
Oasis Sens Bars - 5
Great job. Plenty of access, great drinks, they do not skimp on the alcohol as I would have expected. I even carried a bottle from the states in case I needed extra (and never opened it), but the bar-staff do a great job. If I had a complaint it would be they shut down a little early in the evenings, but other than that, they do a great job. While we were at the Oasis Sens we did not experience a lot of the loud/drunken party atmosphere you here about across Cancun. This was a great vacation spot.
Oasis Sens Beach - 5
A wonderful beach! Clean and neat. This is an 18/over resort so there will be a few ladies topless-optional. There was plenty of room and the beach bar kept the drinks flowing. The crews are out every morning cleaning up anything that washes up from the night before so the beaches look great. We even got to experience multiple sea-turtles coming on shore at night to lay eggs at night. As for the scenery, whether you are looking at the sunset or the Brazilian beauties (males and females) in the minimalist of bathing suits, the sites are wonderful.
Oasis Sens Events - 5
DO NOT be worried about the words Adult-only, Kinky, or LGBT-friendly. Although there may have been a few more LGBT at the Sens than other resorts I have been to in the pasts, I would say it is mostly due to the adult only aspect. And as for adult only, it basically boils down to no children. There was not an air of “adultness”, just a lot of folks enjoying the beach, the pool, and scantily clad visitors and performers. And “Kinky” is the name of the night club. I will have to admit the shows at the Kinky-Club do trend towards adult entertainment and are hosted by a staff member who is 100% comfortable with their sexuality, but there is nothing anymore kinky than a great burlesque show. The LGBT-friendly does not mean “directed”. Basically it just means accepted. If you have a problem with LGBT-lifestyle, then maybe this is not the place for you. If you are open-minded and accepting, then the Sens is perfect and you will meet some of the nicest singles and couples. The aerial entertainment in the lobby is amazing, the performers are true experts. The fire-dance by the pool is mesmerizing. I do actually think the Sens could do a better job advertising the events to the customers
SPECIAL NOTE: Do not miss the “Kinky Cruise”. It is actually a pirate cruise with a little bit of an adult theme. You will see nothing more on the cruise than you may see at the beach so again do not be overly concerned about “Kinky”. I still am not sure how the Oasis does it but everything from the bus ride to all the food and drink you can have is part of the all-inclusive (i.e., free). For those who missed the cruise, they surly missed the boat as this was a great night out.
SPECIAL NOTE: the pool event staff was great! They orchestrated everything from volleyball to pool aerobics. Take advantage of the events as it is the best way to meet new people
Oasis Sens Rooms - 4
The rooms barely missed a 5. These are not 5-star Ritz rooms, but for an all-inclusive resort they are really nice. We did not upgrade and stayed with the basic rooms, and they were very clean and neat. I have read a few reviews complaining about the rooms being hot. Well, it is Mexico. We had two rooms and one stayed perfectly chilled while my room was on the warm side. I cured this by closing the drapes during the day when I was not in the room. It was fine at night. But if your room is warm, it is not a problem across the entire resort so just ask if they can move you. From a value/price stand point, very nice rooms
Oasis Sens – Housekeeping - 3
I will have to say the Sens did have some troubles with keeping towels supplied and one day I left a tip for housekeeping and all they did was restock a single water bottle and took every towel I had hanging and did not replace any (and of course took the tip). The hotel itself is very clean and well maintained so this could be an isolated incidence, but it happened in the room and at the poolside with the towels.

NOTES:
1) Please take extra Sunscreen. You can end up paying over $30USD for a small tube
2) Please take something for sunburns. The sun is intense and you will likely burn a little (and if you are going to try the small bikini bottom for the first time, remember there may be areas that have never seen the sun and they will burn). You can end up paying over $30USD for a small tube
3) We took insulated cups from home to us for the beach bars. They will even mix for the size of the insulated cup
4) The busses are much easier and cheaper than taxis
5) Take advantage of the all-inclusive free food before you head out to explore the zone bars and shopping. No need to pay twice to eat
6) When you depart, they allow 23KG per bag at the airport so try to split things up the best you can (Aeromexico did not even charge a bag fee for the first bag!!!!)
7) Internet packages are costly and I found out I could only have one device per internet access code
8) Take advantage of the mornings! The sun is intense enough you can tan/burn even early in the day
9) Get a waterproof case for your phone. My phone stayed out of the water but just the amount of humidity caused my phone (android) to fail
10) Some of the more recognized bars in the “zone” have fees of over $80.00USD just to get in the door. Drinks are usually included but they are so crowded you may find it hard to get to the bar
11) If you have never visited Cancun, don’t fret. My oldest daughter and I were very comfortable staying in the Hotel Zone. Don’t worry too much about where your hotel is located in the zone as there are buses running every few minutes and a trip up the zone is only $1USD each way.
12) We even ventured out to Market 28 in Cancun city. Same bus lines as in the zone and again we felt comfortable. Just be smart and do smart things like keeping wallets in front pockets, don’t bring purses or bags, and simple things to stay secure
13) Tipping…..Hard to say. I am a typical American and used to tipping and you will get requests for tips at every turn in Cancun. However I noticed many of the visitors from other countries did not tip at all. I honestly tested it both ways and found absolutely zero difference in service. The drinks were made the same, the room was cleaned the same, and so on. It really boils down to who you are inside and how you feel about the service industries and whether you tip or not. If you are like me and tip for service, be prepared to budget a decent amount as there really is a ton of service going on all around you in Cancun
14) And remember……..NAPS are a great thing. Schedule your time well as there is much to do, much to see, and much happens late at night.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank doroughg
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2014

Dear Guest,

We are glad your stay with us has motivated you to share such a great review about our hotel. Thank you for highlighting the qualities that made your stay unforgettable.

It is a pleasure to know that you were able to experience our most outstanding restaurants. We will congratulate the entire team for their exceptional creations. Every dish that leaves the kitchen is a true delight and an authentic culinary experience created with a lot of love and passion.

We are honored that you enjoyed our facilities and entertainment. We aim to create unforgettable experiences and our entertainment department works hard to offer shows and activities to help achieve this.

We appreciate you recommending us and we hope to welcome you back soon, kind regards.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

The hotel is not a 5 stars in my opinion, The room was old but clean. The ocean view we had was marvelous. We upgraded to the Si'An Kann suite room but it was very small if we compsare the other places we went (Punta Cana - Barcelo, Riviera Maya Excellence and Riviera Maya Princess suites). It is a very friendly gay and lesbian hotel. So if you're unconfortable with this, well this is not the place for you. The ffod was good but the restaurant The Box, who was presented as a top restaurant was so bad and the service so unprofessionnal. We left in the middle of the service because we could'nt take to more of the attitude and the arrogance of the waiter Luis......

Room Tip: Please take the Si'an kaan upgrade it's worthed the price of the ocean view. The lagoon vie...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear Stephane,

We are truly sorry you had an unpleasant experience during your vacations. We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments; this helps us to provide better services in the future.

Furthermore, we would like to let you know we are very devoted to our guests, and the staff is committed to understand, help and satisfy all of your needs. Thank you for letting us know the inconveniences you had so we can enforce and improve the service, as your comfort and satisfaction is really important to us.

We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for any setbacks you experienced and hopefully you can give us another opportunity to welcome you again so we can enhance your perception of our hotel.
Kind regards.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

The hotel property is really nice. The staff is very friendly. The rooms are nice. Plenty of towels at the pool area. Bar tenders in Kinky are very good and lots of fun. The shows in Kinky were great too.
BUT....the massive lack of Air Conditioning in the rooms and in the restaurants and bars really made for an uncomfortable stay. My towels were never replaced in my room. I had to ask and then I only got bath towels, no hand towels or shower mat. And, for an all-inclusive you made it very difficult to get a drink or food. I like the idea of sitting and being waited on but the short staff made the wait times unbearable. Tables were empty and there were lines of people waiting to get in. Not good. The final blow was the breakfast buffet. Great space. Great set up. Lots of food selections. But having just 2 people cook eggs one order at a time is insane. There should have been big bins of scrambled eggs, which is what the majority of people want. We shouldn't have to stand in line waiting for eggs to be scrambled...one person at a time.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank DaveInHouston

Dear David,

Thank you for your observations and comments, we will definitely consider them as areas of opportunity to continue providing the best service possible to all our distinguished guests.

We are sorry for the inconvenience you had with the air conditioning, we have passed this information on to our maintenance department who have resolved the issue.

We hope you can give us the opportunity to welcome you once again in the future so you can enjoy everything we have to offer, best regards.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

Although rated as a 5 star hotel, Oasis Sens is merely a 4 star hotel in a good location. Staff very rude and slow, always too busy to help. Upon arrival we needed to wait almost 2 hours for our rooms to be ready, even though we showed up check-in after 7 PM. The rooms were dirty and the air in the rooms was humid and smelly. The all inclusive service and the beach were the only things that deserve mentioned.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank mikka2009
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us regarding your stay at our resort. We offer our sincere apologies that your time spent with us did not meet all your expectations. We would like to inform you that all your comments and opinions are considered in order to improve our service.

We hope you give us the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future to enhance your experience and perception of our hotel, best regards.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Overall, Oasis Sens was not what I expected and my partner and I left the experience disappointed.

Before providing details, let me tell you a little bit about us as travellers. We are an African-Canadian, Black, woman-woman couple. So, we were excited to travel to the Oasis Sens because it advertised itself as LGBT friendly. Above and beyond the usual expectations of a clean, beautiful resort with excellent food and services, we were looking forward to being in a space where there were many other LGBT couples from all over the world, and respectful staff.

It is safe to say that we did not have this experience. Here's the BAD STUFF, the GOOD STUFF, and a few TIPS.

The Bad Stuff

Disrespect and Overt Racism

We were constantly stared at by hotel employees and guests. For example, when we would walk into the lobby, sit at the bars or walk on the beach, we would catch staff members whispering and staring at us, and sometimes laughing. Guests would do this too. It got to a point where we had to assertively walk up to a table, tell them that their staring was rude and demand that they stop.

On a few occasions, we were served after Spanish-speaking (often White) clients. For example, we were at the VIP "Coffee & Me" counter at the end of the day and we wanted to get some tea. We approached the counter and looked at the options. Another customer walked up beside me and greeted the server in Spanish. He responded to her and served her a drink before preparing mine. My partner had to confront him on his behaviour. At first, he denied that he had done this, and then mumbled that we 'were getting the same service". This happened to us on and off of the resort and we met up with six other Black/African tourists who told us that they had similar experiences. One group had to wait for 45 minutes in a restaurant while watching other clients get served before them. Another Black woman told us that the Walmart would not accept her US currency. We found this shocking since we were at a cashier near her and the employee accepted our US currency.

We had people blatantly step directly in front of us in lines and in the club. It was very irritating and made it difficult to relax.

Did not meet our expectations of being LGBT-friendly

Yes, there were overtly gay staff. Yes, there were overtly gay guests. No, no one said anything mean to us and we did not feel like we were in physical danger at any point.

There were some pleasant surprises. For example, we were often asked if we were a couple and then we were treated as such. We were pleased to see that the overtly gay male staff seemed to be treated with respect by their co-workers. It was nice to see that the burlesque show and the acrobatic shows involved intimate scenes between various combinations of sexes and gender presentations. That was nice.

At the same time, there didn't seem to be anything beyond this. And frankly, we would expect this basic treatment from any resort or hotel.

The statue in the front of the hotel looks like a man and a woman. At the performance, the audience was engaged in very traditional gender/sex roles. For example, women were encouraged to scream for sexy men, and men encouraged to scream for sexy women.

It was not a welcoming environment for us as a Black queer couple. It was maybe a tolerant one, but not consistently so.

The Buffet

The buffet was nothing special. We heeded the warnings of other TripAdvisor reviews regarding the food. The cheese was sweaty, so we avoided it. Some of the meats did not look well cooked, so we avoided those too. For breakfast, I ate cheese quesedillas, beans, salsa and guacamole. we had fruits. The coffee wasn't great. We opted instead for the Mexican restaurant and the Italian Restaurant.

Our room.

Humid, mouldy-smelling. No pests (except for a tiny and cute lizard we saw on the two nights) the tub was icky and the toilet stopped working on day four. Our fridge was re-stocked once after calling the front dest for 24 hours to get it restocked. Our room was cleaned once (because that's all we wanted - we cleaned it ourselves). Our clothes did not dry and smelled like mildew after being worn.

The Good Stuff

Midnight - the Italian restaurant.

We tried almost everything on the menu. The food was good. I enjoyed the Spaghetti with shrimp, cherry tomatoes and cheese the most. We LOVED the asparagus with tomatoes and cheese as an appetizer and the chilled soups were enjoyable too. For dessert we ate the strawberries and light cheese. Very good. Try to go for lunch and eat the breaded chicken. We enjoyed that as well. The pizza toppings are limited, and the pizza is average.

The servers were absolutely wonderful. Respectful, funny, engaging, and quick to remedy errors. We were mostly served by Evany, who was awesome, but we have a list of other names that we'll add to later.

The Mexican Restaurant

It was our touchstone for the first evening. The guacamole and salsa there are very good. I liked the lime and chicken soup. But we didn't eat much there. The service was good. We were served by Moises. He was lovely.

Benazuzo

This is an experience. You don't ask for anything, you're simply served tiny samples of interesting treats. For the most part the food was good. Be prepared to eat a lot of chocolate items in the breakfast menu... and to drink lots of different things.. sparkling wine + 3kinds of juice + coffee mixed with orange juice.. not for delicate stomaches.

We slept in and arrived 30 minutes late for our breakfast. The server chided us a bit at first, but afterward it was fine.

The Box

Quite the experience as well. This is another tapas restaurant and wine tasting place. We had a Mexican wine. A sauv-blanc - it was average and went well with the food. We began with a cold cut platter (great prosciutto), select cheeses, then a delicious tuna salad, then shrimp, then clams in lemon foam, then a weird but oddly yummy dish with cotton candy (YES!) with duck pate. It was a fun culinary adventure.

Concierge - Sergio

OMG Sergio at the front desk is an angel. Ask him whatever you need and he'll help. The lineup will be long because he doesn't rush you and he goes the extra mile. But his service is worth the wait.

TIPS

VIP UPGRADE

We decided that the VIP upgrade is not worth it. Also, it was 50% cheaper to purchase at the hotel than through our travel agent. So take a few days before deciding whether to take the upgrade or not.

TIPS

We believe in tipping and so we tipped all the time unless service given was rude. We rarely saw other people tipping which was a surprise for us.

SCAMS - not at the Oasis Sens

Once you leave the resort be careful about scams. Lots of people selling 'tours' at a cheaper price, but then would not drop you off at your hotel or pick you up at all. When we travelled to downtown we were watched a lot and followed by people trying to sell us things, demanding to know where we were from, how much we spent on our excursions and trying to sell us trips, travel products etc...

EXCURSIONS

We went on 3

Xcaret - hot, be careful at the buffet restaurants, not clean, flies ants and cats all over the place. If you don't like seeing animals in captivity don't go. It is a zoo + acquarium + culture centre. Very over-priced $10 chocolate bars, etc.. but there was a beautiful underground river swim that was worth it. the butterfly sanctuary was awesome and the stained glass villa was eerily beautiful.

Mayan Ruins - Coba
Lovely tour. Very hot. We didn't climb the ruins because we felt it was disrespectful, given the history of the place. But we learned a lot. Bring bug repellent, sunscreen. You can rent bikes and tricycle taxis along the route if you get tired. Also, if you are an intuitive or an empath, be ready to pick up on strong feelings and sensations while walking through the temples. Our tour included a trip to a Mayan village, and a swim in an underground pool a cenote. It was a great excursion.

La Isla Mujeres - Catamaran tour
The best excursion. We sailed on the Gypse Breeze. We had a great trip. The staff was fun, entertaining, very kind. The water was lovely. Snorkelling was fun - simply to go out in the sea - but there weren't a lot of fish or things to observe. We skipped the shopping and had some alone time on the ocean drifting on the empty boat. Loved it!

SUNSCREEN

Bring biodegradable eco-friendly sunscreen. Some places will make you buy such sunscreen before your enter. Xcaret for example. At La Isla, the cost of the sunscreen was $20 - $40 for a small bottle of sunscreen. Much cheaper if you come prepared. That's a good practice anyway!

That's it for now. Look out for edits.

Room Tip: We were in #517. Broken toilet and icky tub. Very humid, nothing dried fully and well. We heard the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank wombknower
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your experiences with us, this helps us know our strengths and weaknesses so we can provide a better service day by day.

It is important for you to know that our staff is trained and committed to provide the same service to all of our guests regardless of their nationality, age, gender, ethnicity or preferences. Thank you for letting us know the inconveniences you had so we can enforce and improve the service, since your comfort and satisfaction is really important to us.

We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for any setbacks you experienced and hopefully you can give us another opportunity to welcome you again so we can enhance your perception of our hotel, best regards.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

We booked this week to arrive Friday night. We walk in and they tell us "sorry you have to leave - no kids". Really? We made the booking through tripadvisor and there is nothing mentioned about banning anyone. Anyway, it is midnight. You are seriously turning us out on the street?

The manager was seriously not nice. He says "we are a gay concept hotel for homosexuals and lesbians. So no children." Wow.

So why do you have my booking right there on the counter? I see my name right there in that folder. It's a confirmed reservation and prepaid.

Then he adds "we are overbooked and don't have any more rooms anyway. We can offer you another room at a different resort".

At this point I'm very keen to get in a room - it's midnight and have kids in tow.

So they put us in a cab. They pay it. I'm thinking hmm, maybe this will be OK.

Turns out we drive 45 minutes. Completely out of the Beachfront hotel zone. Into the "city" of Cancun! To a small three star business hotel that...happens to be owned by the same Oasis group. It's not even a beach hotel. Literally an airport stay over dump.

Wow!

And then we get to the room. Upstairs from thumping disco music. We are above the empty disco room. They put us in the single worst room.

So-- avoid Oasis! It's too risky to take your family there.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank extradrwn

Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry that we were not able to accommodate you and your family at our hotel but it has been an adult’s only resort for more than three years. Our official website and all the travel agencies have all the information about our concept and services we offer.

Despite this, we did everything we could to offer you several options and relocate you. Unfortunately, during the season you visit us there was no availability in the hotel zone; this is why we send you to a city hotel for one night and then compensated the inconvenience by changing your reservation to a family resort.

We offer our sincere apologies once again and we are at your disposal for any clarifications, best regards.