“Worth the price!”

Ranked #84 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Oswego, Illinois
“Worth the price!”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Beautiful resort! If you're looking for a place to just relax and enjoy the water and sun, this is the place. Only disappointment is that the AC in the rooms and restaurants were pretty poor, which after a hot day in the sun would have been pretty nice. We also struggled with the drinking water availability. All though we were all about the drinking, having drinking water more available would have been nice. Besides that, the staff was friendly and the views were amazing. The pools were my favorite part, absolutely beautiful. The restaurants were pretty good quality. I would recommend this hotel to a friend for the reasonable price that it is. Wide variety of fellow vacationers, made for a well rounded, relaxing trip.

• Stayed February 2014
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are delighted you enjoyed our calm and relax atmosphere, restaurants and personalized service.

Thank you for your observations and comments, we will definitely consider them as areas of opportunity to continue providing the best service possible to all our distinguished guests.

We appreciate you recommending us and we hope to see you soon again.
Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,111)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I would not recommend booking this hotel since you probably won't end up staying here. My bf and I purchased a Groupon for 4 nights with an oceanview room and scheduled with the Hotel to stay 2/6-2/10. After haggling with the front desk, having to sign into Groupon on the front desk computer to show the confirmed purchase of the Oceanview room to prove that we were telling the truth, they sent us to the Grand Oasis and gave us the VIP bracelet as an uprade. The compensation for the inconvenience was 3 free nights at Oasis Sens at another point in the next 2 years. Once we got to the Grand Oasis we had to show our Groupon again to get the oceanview room (and it was barely ocean view - you could see the water through some trees during the day). The Grand Oasis ended up being amazing so all in all we had a great trip, but it was a very stressful start and took us hours to finally get settled into a hotel room. We would definitely go to the Grand Oasis again, but I would avoid Oasis Sens since you don't know where they'll end up sending you to actually stay.

1 Thank jersey826
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you took to share your comments with us. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience we caused by accommodating you to one of our sister resorts.

It is our duty to inform you that the weather conditions presented in North America caused some changes and cancellations on flights bound to Cancun. Therefore, some of our guests’ reservations dates were changed.

Despite this, additional benefits were offered for the inconveniences, taking into account your comfort and satisfaction. These benefits were stipulated in the letter that you voluntarily agreed to sign.

We reiterate once again our sincere apologies and we are at your disposal for clarifications in the future.
Best regards.

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Pelican Rapids, Minnesota
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Is Oasis owned properties creating a new SCHEME? We were booked at Oasis Tulum and when we arrived they said they were overbooked and put us up at their best resort Oasis Sens....all the staff seem to be in on this. They really did not care if you were un happy. Stating there was nothing they could do...every day we had to ask for coffee and water to be filled in our refrigerator, no towels or shampoo the last two days. Don't bother telling the front desk they still won't do anything about it. Oasis wants to blame Orbitz, but we were not the only ones that this happened to. Others who booked through different companies were moved around...this is all OASIS. Over all I would never recommend any one stay with OASIS, they are overbooked and over rated. You can ask the front desk to help you with something until you are blue in the face it still won't matter.

Room Tip: Pay for VIP
4 Thank nancy h
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Nancy,

We appreciate the time you took to share your comments with us. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with our sister resort.

Furthermore, we thank you for letting us know the inconveniences you encountered so we can report them to our housekeeping department to take action and avoid it in the future.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I booked a vacation for my wife and me at the Oasis Sens through Cheap Caribbean for February 1 - 8, 2014 for a "Grand Oceanview" room. In February of 2012 and 2013 my wife and I had weeklong vacations at the Sens and we were looking forward to another week at the Sens, where we enjoyed the beach very much.

At check in at the Sens the staff told us that they were overbooked and that they had arranged for us to spend the week at another hotel. I told them that I had booked a "Grand Oceanview" room at the Sens and I wanted an ocean view room at the replacement hotel.

The view from our room on the first floor of the replacement hotel was awful and not what I had paid for. We could not see the ocean from our room. The replacement hotel beach was much smaller and more crowded than the Sens. We are very disappointed.

We will never stay at an Oasis hotel again. Their customer "service" was terrible.

7 Thank Paul C
Dear Paul,

Newark, Ohio
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Honeymooned there from Feb 18 to Feb 23 of this year. Overall I would give it an 8.5 out of 10 very affordable for the middle class citizen. There were a few things I didn't like though it didn't cause me to not like the place. Booked the trip through cheapcaribbean.com all inclusive package. After arriving at the airport was taken to resort by Amstar whose driver was a very professional and nice. Upon arrival the doorman, Fidel greeted us and took our bags up to our room very funny guy. If I could change one thing about the beginning of the trip it would be to get our room faster. Understandable they had a lot of checkouts so there were a lot of rooms to clean. We slept the first night there we were exhausted the layovers will take a toll on you well worth it saved money on the round trip flight. After resting up we explored the resort there are plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from. We went to the Coba for dinner it is an international buffet lots of food to choose from. One of the people who stand out from there was Luis the host very nice. There were a lot of other people who went out of their way to help or answer questions. The bartender at Mr Wimpy's Francisco awesome guy best Pina Colodas ever. The VIP and Sunset bars also have awesome bartenders as well as the bar on the beach. Food wise Mr Wimpy's, Cabo, and Moonlight the pizza place had good food. When you go to Cancun don't be a tourist become a traveler, the bus only runs 1 USD don't waste money on a taxi cab it could 14 USD or more. Also don't bother with trip planners find out where you want to go and go straight to the source. For instance, we paid 130 USD to go to an island through one of the trip planners they are called time share people in the hotel. We looked in the USA today paper on the front desk counter and it listed the same trip for 30 USD for two round trip!!! For smokers bring your own in with you the Mexico equivalents are no match. They also do not sell Newports or a lot of menthol's you can get in the states. Another small complaint is that wifi should come with the price of the room or make it lower priced.

Room Tip: @ Oasis you want a room with an ocean view and a balcony that way you can sleep with the doors open...
1 Thank michael6899
Dear Michael,

We greatly appreciate the special mention of those members of our team who helped make your stay more pleasant. We will surely congratulate them for their amazing job.

Commerce Township, Michigan
Reviewed February 23, 2014

So my wife, myself, and another couple spent 7 nights here 2/15 - 2/22. Both of our rooms were the standard room category in two different buildings. I own a travel agency so I take a lot of these comments with a grain of salt. I want to give a fair, but detailed review.

ROOMS:

The rooms were clean and the service staff did a good job or replenishing the towels and in-room refrigerator. Our rooms were 376 and 504. Again, in two different buildings. Many of the comments here complain about the air conditioning in the hotel. I can tell you they are 100% accurate. Both rooms had A/C units that constantly blew air. That's about it. The temperature was about 85 every day outside. Almost every night we woke in a sweat because the A/C units couldn't keep up.

Our room had everything to make coffee... except a coffee maker! We went to the front desk our first night and asked for a coffee maker to be put in the spot that was clearly made for one. That was on day 1. Day 7 we checked out with no coffee maker. The 2nd room had a coffee maker that was broken.

Our shower would take about 2 hours (no exaggeration) to drain. So, when you left the shower, you were standing in filthy water past your ankles.

Beds. This is always personal preference. For us and the other couple, they were uncomfortable.

Sleeping. Don't plan on it. Walls are paper thin and if someone above you moves one of the chairs in the room, it sounds like a thunderstorm. Tip to the hotel: felt pads on the bottoms of the chairs. Our room (376) must've been in some sort of service corridor, although I don't see how or why it would've been. First thing in the morning it sounded like a marching band every day.

POOLS:

Amazing. They were always clean and well maintained. There were a few past comments we wondered about referencing the location of the swim up pool bar. They were accurate. It is an odd layout. If you're in the main pool, that pool is lower than the swim up bar pool. It's an infinity pool type of layout. You have to exit the main pool, go up a flight of stairs, and then down another flight of stairs to access that pool. Again, it's odd, but there are other bars close by. It's not a complaint, just an observation.

Chairs: almost impossible to get during a busy week. The pool don't have enough chairs and umbrellas available. Mainly because you can't really fit anymore in that area. You'd get folks going down at 6am to put towels on chairs and then go to breakfast or on excursions. You could go most of the morning and never see someone sit in a 'reserved' chair.

BEACH:

Very well maintained. A few people would get upset when the lifeguards would blow the whistle at them and tell them they had to move over from one side to the other in the ocean. Those people had no idea what they were getting themselves into. There were strong rip currents out there that were marked with red flags. If you swam between the flags (which was a HUGE area) you were fine. When you were in the dangerous part, they were quick to move you. My complements to them. They were alert and observant the entire time. Same issue with the chairs though. Again, this was a busy week (mid-winter break in the U.S. for schools). So the hotel was very full.

FOOD:

Depends on where you went. The Italian and Mexican restaurants were nice. A good departure from "Wimpy's Burgers & Hot Dogs" and "Happy's Chicken". Both of those are on either side of the main pool. They worked well at serving their purpose (keeping food in people that were drinking all day). The Coba is the buffet. Not bad. I was disappointed that during breakfast there were no eggs out. If you wanted just scrambled eggs, you had to stand in the omelet line which, while was usually always long, moved at an ok pace.

TIPPING:

If you go to an all inclusive that tells you tipping is included, I find it EXTREMELY tacky and very 'low rent' when I see staff pushing for tips. Just be up front and tell people that tipping is encouraged so they know what they're walking into. The staff was ALWAYS friendly and accommodating. But you would see night and day difference between the people that tipped and those that didn't. TIP: Bring LOTS of singles for tips. The hotel will only give you change in Pesos.

HIGH PRESSURE SALES PITCH:

This really secured this hotel as one I wouldn't visit again because of this. These sales reps placed their table in the lobby in a strategic spot you couldn't avoid when you needed to get somewhere. There were anywhere from 4 to 8 of them milling about. Their job is to sign you up for "only a 90 minute presentation with lunch included". You're at an all-inclusive. Your lunch is always included. I did sit through it because I wanted to see what it was all about. It was 2 hrs 20 min. Bottom line... they open with a package to sell you that's $90,000. They know that's outrageous, so they 'impress' you with the next level down at $24,900. Of which you need to make a decision then. They tell you that because of Mexican laws, once you leave the country you can't contact them to purchase it. Sound fishy???

Even if you sit through the presentation, every time you walk through the lobby they HOUND you. Telling them no doesn't have much impact. I truly hope the hotel gets a huge cut of the sales, because everyone I talked with was pretty angry about the whole setup.

LGBT:

For those that don't know, that stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered. Oasis Sens is very welcoming of this group. Yes, you will see lesbian and gay couples at this resort. Just as you'll see male and female couples. There was nothing strange going on at the resort, and I was never offended by them no more than they were offended by me. If you are homophobic, then this isn't the resort for you. To each their own, but in my opinion, you waive your right to make any types of complaints regarding this if you book a vacation here.

For those couples and LGBT guests, I can tell you that this resort makes EVERYONE feel very welcomed.

TRANSPORTATION:

I wouldn't recommend taking taxis. The bus system is awesome! I kid you not, they drive by at least once every 60 seconds. If you don't know where you're going, just ask the hotel for a map and when you see you're getting close, press the call button on the bus and they'll stop at the next bus stop. It's $1 every time you get on.

TIPS TO RESORT:

1) I spoke with quite a few couples that did and did not participate in the sales presentation. Those that did were very put off by the sales approach. Those that didn't felt harassed. You even have people walking the pools that start talking to guests like they're there to help them, and then pressure them into these meetings. This was VERY off putting and really hurt the image of your resort.

2) COFFEE! Every resort that I've been to, and those around you, offer easy access to coffee. They don't make you pay the VIP fee for entry in the the one area that serves it. Most resorts have it available in the lobby 24/7. That little service goes a long way.

3) A/C. Fix them. When guests are uncomfortable, especially in high value rooms, that hurts your bottom line and eliminates repeat customers.

4) Pool food. Easy access to food is a huge benefit to customers. If you had burgers already made at Wimpy's for people to take, those lines wouldn't exist. Nacho, cheese sticks, chicken nuggets, and fries are all things you could make ahead of time and people wouldn't have to wait in those lines.

CONCLUSION:

As a travel agent, I would be apprehensive of sending people back to this resort because of 2 main reasons. 1) The irritating sales pressure. 2) Rooms (A/C, coffee, etc). I would have to be very up front with them making them fully aware of what they're getting themselves into. Since a travelers experience reflects back onto my business, I really can't send them into a place where I know that has these well document issues from other reviewers.

I believe the Oasis chain acquired this hotel from another chain not too long ago. I was impressed by the amount of people doing maintenance, enhancements, and up keep in this resort. All of this work was exterior and building related. I truly believe that when they get to where they want to be with that phase, they would begin working on the customer experience side of the house. Perhaps in a year or two I'll revisit this resort. Right now, I'd classify this resort as "open during renovations".

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
24 Thank jasong127
Dear Jason,

Thank you very much for sharing such detailed comments, we greatly appreciate all the suggestions you mentioned, they certainly help us improve in order to satisfy the expectations of our future guests the best way possible.

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience regarding the air conditioning, we had a minor problem with it but we informed our maintenance department right away to fix the issue.

We wanted to let you know that our staff is prohibited from demanding tips from our guests, thanks you for pointing out the incident so we can take action and avoid it in the future.

It is a pleasure to know you enjoyed of facilities and restaurant and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future, best regards.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here Feb 8th - Feb 15th 2014. Let me just say that we were both very happy and impressed with everything at this hotel. We had asked for a room on a high floor with a balcony and we received both of these. Check in was an absolute breeze and nothing was ever an issue. Our room was cleaned everyday and the mini bar stocked as well. All without having to tip of course.

We ate at all but 2 restaurants and they were all very good. If I can say one thing, make sure you visit Benazuza (reservation required). This restaurant was absolutely amazing and a very nice way to spend Valentines day.

The only tip I would like to give any travellers that plan on going here is to get up early, throw a towel on the chairs you would like and then go back to bed. Don't worry, nobody will take it off and you can have your chairs all day long.

Look, I read plenty of reviews about this hotel and was a little concerned about the quality we were going to receive when we got there. All I have to say is NONE of those bad reviews are true. This is a great hotel and we would be more than happy to return here.

If you're thinking about booking here, please do it! You'll absolutely love your stay and have an amazing time away.

Thank you so much for our amazing winter getaway Oasis Sens!

4 Thank 41Dan
Dear Dan,

We appreciate the time you have taken to share such nice comments about your experience, we feel completely honored that your stay was amazing.

We are glad you were able to experience our Molecular Cuisine; it certainly is a unique dining experience. We will congratulate our entire team of our Molecular Restaurant which certainly do outstanding job, every dish that leaves the kitchen is a true delight and an authentic culinary experience.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you once again in the future, best regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
GR Caribe by Solaris
GR Caribe by Solaris
#25 of 175 in Cancun
Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort

Been to Grand Oasis Sens? Share your experiences!