“Great experience on our honeymoon!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Oasis Sens

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Grand Oasis Sens
Ranked #78 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Branford, Connecticut
“Great experience on our honeymoon!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

Visited this resort on our honeymoon...love that it is adult only and the staff was kind and helpful when needed...great restaurants included our favorite was Muerdeme Mucho and Guadalupe was the sweetest waitress! the pools were beautiful and amazing as well as the beach. The kinky nightclub was ok for a one night entertainment but not my favorite place in the resort..it can get crazy! Great bars and Great views would definitely recommend this resort to a friend. only thing i can complain about is the slight smell in the rooms. besides that its definitely a great resort for any couple!

Room Tip: The higher the better!
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit to Cancun and for the flattering words we received from your stay with us.

We are delighted to have met your expectations and that you had a great honeymoon. We are glad you enjoyed our facilities, restaurants and service.

We appreciate you recommending us and we hope to see you soon again.
Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,023)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Puyallup, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

The first thing I would like to say is: If you are considering this resort, look elsewhere.

I wish I had read the critical reviews instead of the (oddly incorrect) positive ones. I will not use caps lock in my review, I won't call out anybody in specific, and I won't insult the hotel. I will simply recount my 4 days there and hope that this saves you all reading from the negative reviews in your room at the Oasis Sens thinking "I am so living this".

I worked in the hotel industry for over half a decade, and the latter portion as a Front Office Manager of a franchise. This means I am well aware of what is required of working both in the front and back end of a hotel, as well as what is easy to fix, and what is to be overlooked when reviewing a hotel. I am going to go over the various aspects of the hotel we experienced.

The front desk staff was unimpressive. Front desk staff never looked up from computers or willingly engaged customers. When you asked them for assistance, they often walked away and did something else. Finally, if you stood at the desk long enough they would finally ask you what you needed help with. The wait was long (roughly 30 minutes when there was a sparse crowd trying to get attention). Normally I would attempt to call the front desk from my room (as at other hotels it works). However, at the Oasis Sens, the front desk does not answer phones. I attempted to call them tens of times and nobody ever answered, which forces you to deal with them face to face. I felt that maybe I had problems with my phone, but them I was told by Expedia (when I would later attempt to get my pre-booked money back) they had called the front desk 5 times and nobody answered.

Simply put, in all my stays at any hotel, I've never seen such an inept and terrible front desk staff.

The room was fascinatingly odd, from the beginning. We wondered if we'd ended up in a swinger's club due to the weird sex vibe of the hotel. The bellhop showed us through the room, noticing that half the lights in the room did not work and pointing out things that were missing as well. He didn't know how to explain to us things did not work, so he left. When we took time to look at our room, we came to notice some gross things. There was blood and mold in the drapes. There was blood on one of the pillows, as well as a large blood stain on the floor. I have attached pictures of this. When I climbed into the bed, I found my feet touching the mattress. I got out to examine it and found out the sheet was too small for the bed, so we remade it to try and cover as much of the bed as we could. The bed also had a mattress cover that was far too small. (a king size bed with a twin size mattress cover). This meant making contact with the actual mattress most of the time while sleeping. The towel rack was broken and falling off the wall. The toilets in multiple places, strangely, did not work. The room was just generally filthy and poorly kept.

The food at the Oasis was a spectacle of itself. There was an odd mildewy smell outside our room. All the food at the resort tasted of it. Nothing from the actual restaurants was filling. The breakfast had a good selection, but none of the food was any good. Mostly stale and heat dried, everything had that odd taste to it. I'm not sure if everything was prepped with sea-water, or radiation, but everything had an odd flavor that stuck with you. Also, dear god, do not eat the pizza at the Italian restaurant. If you ignore everything else I write, save yourself from eating that pizza.

The beach was the only bright spot, but it's really something hard to mess up. I don't think the beach was ever any better than red flagged, but everyone went in anyway. Later, when we left for another resort, we found the seats at the Oasis Sens were actually fairly uncomfortable.

One other thing: nobody ever came to clean our room. I eventually had to call to get more water (especially after the front desk told me not to drink the water) and more towels. We also got tired of the beach towels and the old plates from ordering the room service the first night we were there, so we put them in the hall. A few hours later they got picked up.

Eventually, we decided we had all we could take and booked a room at the Westin. Nobody had ever cleaned our room, nobody had repaired our lights, and we had never had a good meal. I had one last unfortunate dealing with the front desk where they tried to tell me I couldn't leave. I talked them calmly through it, and they took our wrist bands and we left.

Room Tip: Go to the Westin down the street.
4 Thank Kory S
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Kory,

We are truly sorry you had an unpleasant experience during your vacations. We will channelize your comments to the corresponding department to let them know the inconveniences you encountered to avoid them in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments; this helps us know our areas of opportunity so we can provide better services in the future.

Furthermore, we would like to let you know we are very devoted to our guests, and the staff is committed to understand, help and satisfy all of your needs. Thank you for letting us know the inconveniences you had so we can enforce and improve the service, since your comfort and satisfaction is really important to us.

We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for any inconvenience we caused and hopefully you can give us another opportunity to welcome you again, best regards.

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Coralville, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

We booked our stay because of a Groupon for the resort and I got worried when I saw so many bad reviews. Now that I've stayed there I am honestly very annoyed with the people that wrote those reviews because I worried for nothing! This was a great resort and we really enjoyed ourselves. The staff is friendly, the rooms are clean (the bed is super comfy! minor complaint: the sink didn't drain very fast and I had to take the drain out of the shower for the same reason, but no big deal), the beach and pool facilities were beautiful, and the entertainment was great (I highly recommend the Cabaret Burlesque show at the Kinky Night Club on Fridays at 10 p.m., but get there early for a good seat). The location is ideal; about 15 minutes from the airport and a 5 to 10 minute bus ride for less than $1 each way to downtown.

The food is just ok. The Italian restaurant was pretty good but I was not impressed with their pizza. The Mexican restaurant was delicious (but remember that burritos and nachos are NOT real Mexican food and you will not find them there). They were pretty understaffed on servers, so service was a bit slow, but we weren't in a hurry so it didn't bother us that much. The burger/hotdog snack bar at the pool was very disappointing, but the chicken place was awesome (although it took FOREVER to get our food). The bars are reasonably well stocked, but you do need to tip the bartenders every so often, something we were not prepared for at an all inclusive. You can tip in USD and the rate is much lower there than here, so just keep about $30 in ones for a week and you're good. We also got a couples' massage at the spa and enjoyed that. The sauna wasn't turned on, but I couldn't use it being pregnant anyway.

A few tips:
-You have to ask for a room with a balcony; there aren't many that have them. Also ask for an ocean view room.
-A previous review was helpful to us because when you check in, they have someone sit down and give you info about the resorts and what is included, They then invite you to a breakfast where you can get entered to win free stays or discounted attractions, but thanks to that previous review we knew to turn that down because it is a three hour time share presentation and you only get the perks if you buy one.
-Get all the cash you need at the airport! If you're going shopping, exchange for pesos. The ATM at the resort charges a $25 currency exchange fee plus a $5 ATM fee. Our credit card didn't work at checkout so we had no choice but to pay those fees. (Side note: make SURE your card company knows you're traveling.)
-There is a guy on the beach who I don't think is affiliated with the resort renting out wave runners. It is $65 or 850 pesos, which I think is outrageous but my husband really wanted to do it so he gave them 1000 pesos and they went to get him change. After he got back from his ride, they still hadn't returned with change, but the guy there told us to make sure and remember a tip (for what I don't know, since he's not providing any service for you) since "his boss only pays him $20 for the day to rent this thing out." Bunch of crap, he's his own boss. And they of course make you wait forever for change so you'll say don't worry about it just keep it for a tip. My advice is to bring exactly enough so you can say you don't have enough for an additional tip.
-Because of previous reviews, I stood out on our balcony to watch the sunrise and watched for people reserving pool chairs. They do in fact do this, and while I agree that it is inconsiderate, you kind of have to play the game if you want a chair. I went down and got two and we wouldn't have gotten them otherwise.
-Previous reviewers mentioned a musty smell. This was my 4th trip to Mexico and that's just what it smells like everywhere. I don't think it is unpleasant, I think it is distinctive of where you are. It is extremely humid, so there is really no getting rid of it.
-They are very strict that check in time is at 3:00. You won't have access to your room until then, but you can use the other facilities. I recommend wearing a swimsuit under your clothes so you can go straight to the beach!
-If you go shopping off resort, bring pesos. The merchants are very aggressive so you have to completely ignore them if you're not interested. They charge much less if you speak decent Spanish. If you don't, a good basic phrase is "Cual es lo menos precio?" (What is the lowest price?) That will get them down a little. But a full on Spanish conversation is the best if you're able. My husband talked them down from $65 to $39 on a pair of silver earrings.
-You get a minifridge in your room that includes two cans of beer and some Cokes. Some reviewers complained about this, but you can easily go to the bar for something stronger.
-Room service does cost extra. A reviewer was surprised at this for an all inclusive, but I wasn't. Most of the food is free, you just have to pay a delivery fee.
-You have to turn in your wristband at checkout, even though no one tells you that. Don't throw it away or pack it!

My only legitimate complaint is that on our last night there, we were woken up around midnight by a loud banging noise. At first we thought it was someone in a neighboring room stomping around, but it went on for an hour so my husband went to investigate. He walked around the halls (6th floor) and you could hear it everywhere, so I called the front desk and he said they would send someone to check it out. They didn't and it went on for another hour, so my husband went out again and found that it was coming from a restaurant on the 3rd floor. Someone was hammering on a stove apparently repairing it, and it was echoing everywhere! I told the guy at the front desk that we figured out what it was, but he didn't really seem to care. I don't know if they stopped it or not since we had to check out at 3 a.m. but it was pretty unacceptable that they would allow that kind of disruption in the middle of the night. It was a shame to leave on such a negative note since we were so pleased with the rest of our stay.

Sadly this was a short stay for us, but we hope to return next year and plan on staying at another Oasis resort. Bottom line: go with a good attitude and you will have a good time.

Room Tip: Ask for oceanview, balcony, and 5th floor or higher.
2 Thank Jessica F
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Jessica,

Thank you very much for sharing such detailed comments with TripAdvisor readers, we feel completely honored that your stay was so pleasant and that we met your expectations.

We are glad you enjoyed the restaurants, facilities, entertainment and personalized service we offer. Thanks for highlighting those qualities that made your stay unforgettable.

It would be pleasure for us to welcome you again on your next vacation, best regards.
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

I'm writing this review in response to Rebecca F.'s inquiry about the resort. My husband and I (29 and 31 years old) just returned form oasis sens on Saturday night. We were there from 1/13/14-1/18/14 for our honeymoon. I was very nervous after reading some of the recent reviews. I was expecting long check in lines, no openings at restaurants, mold, rude staff and bad food. Non of those things occurred for us. We arrived at 1pm on Monday afternoon and the bell boy took our luggage and showed us to the VIP desk where we checked in and got wrist bands, a quick 15 minute process. There, they also went over the map of the restort and explained what was included with the VIP package. It was very clear to us that if we chose to dine at Benzuza we would need reservations and also have to pay for dinner (no problem, after reviewing the menu we decided it wasn't for us anyways). Only set back with check in was that the room wouldn't be ready till 3 pm. Again, not an issue we had our wrist bands so we went and grabbed some drinks at the bar and walked around the resort and learned where everything was. At 3pm we can back to the VIP desk and they gave us our room keys. Next, I was sure the room would be awful based on reviews...not the case we were in room 720 with a balcony, excellent view of ocean. Very clean room, no visible mold. Mini bar was stocked but not super cold, but good enough. It was damp in the room and a little musty smelling. I had purchased a carry on febreze from target and it came in handy. You are in Mexico at an ocean front resort it's going to get a little damp. We were supposed to meet someone in the lobby at 4 pm that day to arrange our transportation back to the airport for Saturday morning. We both fell asleep and woke up in a panic. The next day the concierge called the company for us and set everything up, he was so helpful and kind. I read in the reviews that you need to get to the beach early to save a chair, same with the pool. This is true, set your alarm for 645-7 and go lay some towels and magazines down and go back to bed. I did this every morning and although it was annoying, it was nice to have two beach chairs and an umbrella each day.

Now for the food, it's not the best but it is definitely fine. The Mexican and Italian restaurants are good for dinner For lunch the happy chicken was our favorite. We always at the buffet for breakfast, fresh fruit and tons of other things to choose from . We never had to wait for a table at dinner and this was during a busy week. At lunch you have to wait about 5 minutes to get a table at Happy Chicken, if that bothers you go to Mr. Wimpy....service at bars is speedy and friendly, drinks aren't very strong but you can ask for extra booze. We took a bunch of small bills which came in handy for tipping and went a long way, we never exchanged for pesos everywhere takes US dollars and everyone wants it. The biggest complaint I have would be is that some of the other guests are so rude. You'll be in line for a cocktail at the beach bar and they'll cut in front of you bc they're 23 and in a sexy string bikini. Annoying!! Also, get to Kinky night club about 20 minutes early to get a good seat it gets really crowded at 10 and people will just stand infront of you and block your view. Sit along the far wall with the built in couch to be able to see everything. If you tip the room service $3 the first day your room will get cleaned everyday with fresh sheets and towels. Same for the mini bar boy, throw him a few 1's and he'll always give you extra beer and water Any other questions please message me!! Hope this was helpful. Don't be scared, I was and by the end of the first day I realized none of my non stop worrying was worth it. Have fun and relax!!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NatalieERay
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Natalie,

It is a pleasure to know that we exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed our facilities, entertainment and especially our personalized service.

We are proud to say we have a staff always ready to give their best at all times and create positive experiences for our guests.

We hope to see you again soon and do not hesitate on contacting us if we can assist you with anything on your next stay.
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Don't trust all the negative reviews! This place was great. Great location, beach, and setting! Good food, nothing amazing, but solid! Could use a few more staff, but hey, it's vacation time to relax! Will definitely come back again. Stayed in the Sian KI suite.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank UC2010
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind and positive review. We are glad you had a pleasant vacation and happy you enjoyed our facilities and location.

We greatly appreciate all the suggestions you mentioned, they certainly help us improve in order to satisfy the expectations of our future guests the best way possible.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you again on your next visit to Cancun.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed at Oasis Sens the week of January 11th, with a friend, and we both had excellent time from the moment we got there until we left. Here's an overview:

Beautiful, well-kept grounds: A gorgeous infinity pool, beautiful evening lounge (sunset). Very clean rooms and facilities.

Beach: Perfect. See my photos.

Hard-working staff, great service: everyone is very polite and hard-working but for some unfortunate reason, many patrons don't think to tip them a dollar or two. What a shame. These people work for very little money and survive on tips. If you tip $4 a day, that'll cost you $28 for 7 days, nothing compared to how much you've already paid for the vacation or how much you tip in North America (20% of the bill).

Delicious food. I had some of the best meals in the little Mexican a la carte restaurant. If one of those tapas (thinking of a shrimp-filled avocado with cocktail sauce) was served to me in one of top Toronto’s restaurants, I would not bat an eyelash paying for it. One nice thing about this resort is that they have 2 a la carte restaurants that you do not need to make reservations for (the other one was Italian – also great food). The buffet has an excellent meal selection as well and I LOVED the sushi snack bar – surprisingly good.

Could be better: my main issue had nothing to do with the hotel but other patrons. There was one very loud and obnoxious group of Russian patrons (there were a lot of Russians at the resort, so this was just one of the groups), a few embarrassingly drunk people (in the middle of the day), and the pool was fairly crowded during the day. Because the hotel was at its capacity, if you wanted your pick of the lounge chair, you needed to go in early, something I didn’t mind but if you like to sleep until 10am, you may.

Overall, this was a great adults-only, all-inclusive hotel and I would recommend it in a heart beat.

Room Tip: We had a sunset room on the top floor. Didn't have the best view of the ocean but also didn'...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank Healthresearcher
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to greet you and at the same time thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit to Cancun. We are extremely glad you enjoyed our restaurants, facilities and service. We work hard to create positive experiences in our guests for you to remember our hotel with a huge smile.

Thank you for your observations and comments, we will definitely consider them as areas of opportunity to continue providing the best service possible to all our distinguished guests.

We appreciate you recommending us and we hope to see you again soon.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

When there are these many issues, the problem is clearly in management.

ROOM: Several things did not work
I was not given the room I booked. I am married, booked a room with 1 large bed. Got one with 2. After insisting 3 times I got a new room on my 3rd night.
Sheets on the king size bed, were twin, only spread across. Still didn’t fit of course. It was like a staged room where things looked like they should for about 5 min.
Slightly outdated, but still OK except for the LED light behind the bed rest, which fortunately can be tuned off. An update is due, to match the color scheme in the lobby. There is a clear disconnect in the design choices for rooms and lobby.
In the first room the AC was not working at all. In all rooms the TV has a small line going through it in the same place. Staff will explain it is the humidity, but it seems to me that they must have gotten a great price for slightly damaged TVs. Use the clock on the Cable, bedside clocks do not work.

HOUSEKEEPING
Housekeeping is dealt with in a wide timeframe, from 12 to 7 pm. This means, that when you get back from the beach at about 4.30 pm, your room is still a mess. Inspite various request to have my room cleaned as early as possible, I could not shower with fresh towels until after 5 or 6 pm. They will acknowledge your request and not do a thing about it.

Mini fridge is not properly replenished.

INTERNET: DOES NOT WORK!
Do not purchase until you test it out at the lobby with an employee. There is only wifi at the lobby. You may have internet in your room, if you are lucky enough to have the signal reach you.
I am still here, on day 6, and still not working. An overwhelmed night manager, on his own, put me on the line with the service provider who explained that too many people were using it. TRANSLATION: they do not hire enough broadband to cover their guests during high season.
Even if internet is with charge, they need to have the service available in order to purchase! Also, only available for PC, never MAC!

FOOD: OK if you stick to simple. Go to the Buffet and restaurants as early as possible. A lot of food is not replenished.
My stay is still in course during January 2014, technically high season. The most important restaurant was being renovated, so it affected availability at the 2 premium restaurants, which only seat about 4 tables of 2. Food quality is safe but not the food I would think to find in a 5 star hotel, or even a 4 star to for that matter.

COBA:
Breakfast is the freshest meal you will get. Best bet is freshly made eggs, fruits and waffles. The dinner buffet was not good. The sushi section did not seem like it had regular upkeep, and was visibly closed although the counter fridge had ingredients in it. Granted, I am a bit picky when it comes to food. Hotels should take into consideration the water and food related horror stories that tourist here before coming, and go the extra step in making them feel safe about their food.
A similar case with the meat station, one bloody plate to hold the uncooked meat waiting to be thrown on the grill. Again, sure it was fine, but does not look good. Again, more staff or better management needed.

MUERDEME MUCHO:
Staff at the Mexican restaurant is lovely. The ceviche is delicious, as is the starter of guacamole, salsa and totopos. Fish can go both ways.

ITALIAN TRATTORIA:
The pizza is very good. The salads are quite good as well. A good bet and a nice view of the pool for dinner. Had one off night with service. Also keep in mind that if you want your beverage with no ice, you might get a warm coke.

MR. CHICKEN
The wait for a table was lengthy. I was next up and had to wait for 10 min. People are not properly seated, taking up a 6 person table with 4. Again, just one waiter doing his best. The food was OK, avoid the nuggets. When I asked for a second order, I was told there was a 20 min. wait. Food rationing at an all-inclusive is never pretty.

THE BOX AND THE BLACK HOLE, RESERVATION ONLY
If you are lucky enough to score a reservation its an ok tasting menu. Very difficult to get in. Never was able to go to the Armenian AL SUR. Bear in mind, at the box you will pay for beverages only. The wine served throughout the restaurant is $160.

SERVICES & STAFF: On a whole, the hotel seems understaffed. Every single aspect is maintained at a min. staff. Pool bars have only 1 bar tender. Fast food stations have only 1 person supplying food. You can encounter long lines at fast food. Young ladies at the front desk, all alone on the night shift dealing with drunk men. I want to make sure to say, that the staff does not let any discomfort show. I can only imagine how I would feel in their shoes. Also, can be difficult to get a straight answer.

GUESTS: The population at the hotel is a fair mixed of couples from Latin America, USA, and Europe. It is very nice to see inclusivity of LGTB community. Also, note that there are lots of young people in party mode. This can be a bit tricky. Fun, but not necessarily quiet.
Room safe was not charged separately, although it still says so on their website. This was welcome. I could not believe they would charge me for this.

CAR RENTAL
As expected the included Smart Car requires an insurance fee which to date is USD 60 per day. Rates decrease by USD 5 each day, and the 5th day is free.
There are transfers to Playa del Carmen and other locations. You can get this from local agents. I have not used the hotel tours. It should be said that the company they offer is clearly the most predominant one in Cancun, Xcaret.

TIPPING:
Technically not necessary, particularly in restaurants, but I think it’s a nice touch to leave a little something, at least on your last day. These people work very hard for the most part. A few are beyond caring, and honestly, who could blame them.

CONCLUSION
If you can afford a couple of hundred USD more on your package, put it towards a better hotel. Chances are you are here due to a good deal online. You will spend a lot of time and meals at your hotel. Buy the best meal package you can, in the best hotel possible. As you run out of options, it will affect the enjoyment of your stay.

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view.
1 Thank Maria C
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry we did not met your expectations, we would like to sincerely apologize and inform you that all your comments and opinions are considered in order to improve our service.

We will be paying special attention to the maintenance of our facilities to make sure the issues are rectified.

One of our policies is to require reservation at some of our restaurants to ensure consumer satisfaction, specialized service and comfort. Despite this, we also offer several different restaurants you can enjoy without any reservation all throughout the hotel; each one with high quality food and a unique concept.

We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for any setbacks you experienced and hopefully you can give us another opportunity to welcome you again so we can enhance your perception of our hotel.