“Great time!”
Review of Grand Oasis Sens

Grand Oasis Sens
Ranked #85 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Don't trust all the negative reviews! This place was great. Great location, beach, and setting! Good food, nothing amazing, but solid! Could use a few more staff, but hey, it's vacation time to relax! Will definitely come back again. Stayed in the Sian KI suite.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank UC2010
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind and positive review. We are glad you had a pleasant vacation and happy you enjoyed our facilities and location.

We greatly appreciate all the suggestions you mentioned, they certainly help us improve in order to satisfy the expectations of our future guests the best way possible.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you again on your next visit to Cancun.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed at Oasis Sens the week of January 11th, with a friend, and we both had excellent time from the moment we got there until we left. Here's an overview:

Beautiful, well-kept grounds: A gorgeous infinity pool, beautiful evening lounge (sunset). Very clean rooms and facilities.

Beach: Perfect. See my photos.

Hard-working staff, great service: everyone is very polite and hard-working but for some unfortunate reason, many patrons don't think to tip them a dollar or two. What a shame. These people work for very little money and survive on tips. If you tip $4 a day, that'll cost you $28 for 7 days, nothing compared to how much you've already paid for the vacation or how much you tip in North America (20% of the bill).

Delicious food. I had some of the best meals in the little Mexican a la carte restaurant. If one of those tapas (thinking of a shrimp-filled avocado with cocktail sauce) was served to me in one of top Toronto’s restaurants, I would not bat an eyelash paying for it. One nice thing about this resort is that they have 2 a la carte restaurants that you do not need to make reservations for (the other one was Italian – also great food). The buffet has an excellent meal selection as well and I LOVED the sushi snack bar – surprisingly good.

Could be better: my main issue had nothing to do with the hotel but other patrons. There was one very loud and obnoxious group of Russian patrons (there were a lot of Russians at the resort, so this was just one of the groups), a few embarrassingly drunk people (in the middle of the day), and the pool was fairly crowded during the day. Because the hotel was at its capacity, if you wanted your pick of the lounge chair, you needed to go in early, something I didn’t mind but if you like to sleep until 10am, you may.

Overall, this was a great adults-only, all-inclusive hotel and I would recommend it in a heart beat.

Room Tip: We had a sunset room on the top floor. Didn't have the best view of the ocean but also didn'...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank Healthresearcher
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to greet you and at the same time thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit to Cancun. We are extremely glad you enjoyed our restaurants, facilities and service. We work hard to create positive experiences in our guests for you to remember our hotel with a huge smile.

Thank you for your observations and comments, we will definitely consider them as areas of opportunity to continue providing the best service possible to all our distinguished guests.

We appreciate you recommending us and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

When there are these many issues, the problem is clearly in management.

ROOM: Several things did not work
I was not given the room I booked. I am married, booked a room with 1 large bed. Got one with 2. After insisting 3 times I got a new room on my 3rd night.
Sheets on the king size bed, were twin, only spread across. Still didn’t fit of course. It was like a staged room where things looked like they should for about 5 min.
Slightly outdated, but still OK except for the LED light behind the bed rest, which fortunately can be tuned off. An update is due, to match the color scheme in the lobby. There is a clear disconnect in the design choices for rooms and lobby.
In the first room the AC was not working at all. In all rooms the TV has a small line going through it in the same place. Staff will explain it is the humidity, but it seems to me that they must have gotten a great price for slightly damaged TVs. Use the clock on the Cable, bedside clocks do not work.

HOUSEKEEPING
Housekeeping is dealt with in a wide timeframe, from 12 to 7 pm. This means, that when you get back from the beach at about 4.30 pm, your room is still a mess. Inspite various request to have my room cleaned as early as possible, I could not shower with fresh towels until after 5 or 6 pm. They will acknowledge your request and not do a thing about it.

Mini fridge is not properly replenished.

INTERNET: DOES NOT WORK!
Do not purchase until you test it out at the lobby with an employee. There is only wifi at the lobby. You may have internet in your room, if you are lucky enough to have the signal reach you.
I am still here, on day 6, and still not working. An overwhelmed night manager, on his own, put me on the line with the service provider who explained that too many people were using it. TRANSLATION: they do not hire enough broadband to cover their guests during high season.
Even if internet is with charge, they need to have the service available in order to purchase! Also, only available for PC, never MAC!

FOOD: OK if you stick to simple. Go to the Buffet and restaurants as early as possible. A lot of food is not replenished.
My stay is still in course during January 2014, technically high season. The most important restaurant was being renovated, so it affected availability at the 2 premium restaurants, which only seat about 4 tables of 2. Food quality is safe but not the food I would think to find in a 5 star hotel, or even a 4 star to for that matter.

COBA:
Breakfast is the freshest meal you will get. Best bet is freshly made eggs, fruits and waffles. The dinner buffet was not good. The sushi section did not seem like it had regular upkeep, and was visibly closed although the counter fridge had ingredients in it. Granted, I am a bit picky when it comes to food. Hotels should take into consideration the water and food related horror stories that tourist here before coming, and go the extra step in making them feel safe about their food.
A similar case with the meat station, one bloody plate to hold the uncooked meat waiting to be thrown on the grill. Again, sure it was fine, but does not look good. Again, more staff or better management needed.

MUERDEME MUCHO:
Staff at the Mexican restaurant is lovely. The ceviche is delicious, as is the starter of guacamole, salsa and totopos. Fish can go both ways.

ITALIAN TRATTORIA:
The pizza is very good. The salads are quite good as well. A good bet and a nice view of the pool for dinner. Had one off night with service. Also keep in mind that if you want your beverage with no ice, you might get a warm coke.

MR. CHICKEN
The wait for a table was lengthy. I was next up and had to wait for 10 min. People are not properly seated, taking up a 6 person table with 4. Again, just one waiter doing his best. The food was OK, avoid the nuggets. When I asked for a second order, I was told there was a 20 min. wait. Food rationing at an all-inclusive is never pretty.

THE BOX AND THE BLACK HOLE, RESERVATION ONLY
If you are lucky enough to score a reservation its an ok tasting menu. Very difficult to get in. Never was able to go to the Armenian AL SUR. Bear in mind, at the box you will pay for beverages only. The wine served throughout the restaurant is $160.

SERVICES & STAFF: On a whole, the hotel seems understaffed. Every single aspect is maintained at a min. staff. Pool bars have only 1 bar tender. Fast food stations have only 1 person supplying food. You can encounter long lines at fast food. Young ladies at the front desk, all alone on the night shift dealing with drunk men. I want to make sure to say, that the staff does not let any discomfort show. I can only imagine how I would feel in their shoes. Also, can be difficult to get a straight answer.

GUESTS: The population at the hotel is a fair mixed of couples from Latin America, USA, and Europe. It is very nice to see inclusivity of LGTB community. Also, note that there are lots of young people in party mode. This can be a bit tricky. Fun, but not necessarily quiet.
Room safe was not charged separately, although it still says so on their website. This was welcome. I could not believe they would charge me for this.

CAR RENTAL
As expected the included Smart Car requires an insurance fee which to date is USD 60 per day. Rates decrease by USD 5 each day, and the 5th day is free.
There are transfers to Playa del Carmen and other locations. You can get this from local agents. I have not used the hotel tours. It should be said that the company they offer is clearly the most predominant one in Cancun, Xcaret.

TIPPING:
Technically not necessary, particularly in restaurants, but I think it’s a nice touch to leave a little something, at least on your last day. These people work very hard for the most part. A few are beyond caring, and honestly, who could blame them.

CONCLUSION
If you can afford a couple of hundred USD more on your package, put it towards a better hotel. Chances are you are here due to a good deal online. You will spend a lot of time and meals at your hotel. Buy the best meal package you can, in the best hotel possible. As you run out of options, it will affect the enjoyment of your stay.

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view.
1  Thank Maria C
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry we did not met your expectations, we would like to sincerely apologize and inform you that all your comments and opinions are considered in order to improve our service.

We will be paying special attention to the maintenance of our facilities to make sure the issues are rectified.

One of our policies is to require reservation at some of our restaurants to ensure consumer satisfaction, specialized service and comfort. Despite this, we also offer several different restaurants you can enjoy without any reservation all throughout the hotel; each one with high quality food and a unique concept.

We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for any setbacks you experienced and hopefully you can give us another opportunity to welcome you again so we can enhance your perception of our hotel.

Oasis Sens Hotel:

Upon arrival at the Oasis Sens they stated they did not have our reservation. We told them we booked through Expedia and the representatives in the “VIP Area” stated they had nothing. After 45 minutes of telling them in English and Spanish that we had a room for that night, they picked up a stack of envelopes with at most 10 envelopes. They looked through it and found our name. It was an obvious ploy to try to get us to pay twice or take a lower end room.

The representative placed us in a room which supposedly was the upgraded room which we paid for. It had a view of a wall and trees, and no ocean whatsoever. When we told them it was unacceptable they said that was what people get when they book on Expedia. They refused to switch us to a room that night saying that there were non available. However, they said they would switch us when a room was available the next morning.

When we came the next morning, of course no room was available. We had to wait until 1:30 to get our room meaning we could not do anything we planned that day. Once we got our new room it had a partial ocean view, but was mostly a view of the sushi restaurant which allowed everyone to look in our room. The room also had blood stains on the headrest, floor, and bathroom area. It also had a drip of antifreeze from the a/c unit. Finally, there was construction in room 240 which was heard all day and all night forcing us to sleep with the fan on rather than the door open to hear the ocean.

Wi-Fi:

We paid extra for Wi-Fi since Expedia advertised we can have Wi-Fi if we purchased an upgraded package. I brought a separate bag with my laptop and telephone which hooks up to my laptop. I carried this the entire way in reliance on your statement that the hotel had Wi-Fi. However, the hotel stated that the internet was down and it did not work the entire stay there. Upon my return I had 75 voicemails and over 150 emails that went unreturned, which is unacceptable in my profession. This is false advertising and another ploy by the hotel to mislead prospective tourists to stay at the hotel.

Restaurants:

We were told by Expedia we would be allowed to have access to the nice restaurant which required a reservation. The hotel told us that Expedia tourists do not get access to that restaurant. When I told them Expedia told us we could, they said that I would have to take it up with Expedia. I asked to use their phone and they said they do not allow that and it would cost 38 pesos a minute to call Expedia. Knowing that it takes an hour each time we speak to Expedia we decided it was not worth the $180 it would cost to hope that someone competent at Expedia could help fix the situation.

The restaurants on site that we were allowed to use were terrible and only served you from set menus consisting of at most four choices. You could not order more than one, and most of it was self served buffet. The food was low quality, the service was slow, and it tasted terrible. On the final day, my guest and I both got sick from undercooked meals at the restaurant. Numerous other guests were sick from the same food as well. It is shocking that Expedia allows such a restaurant as part of their hotel list.

Further, on the Expedia website it shows that there is 24 hour room service. However, it does not show that you have to pay $15 for that room service just to order it, and the best thing you can get on that menu is a club sandwich.

Avoid at all costs. This place is terrible. I wouldn't stay there again if they paid me.

4  Thank Steven P

Dear Steven,

We are truly sorry you had an unpleasant experience during your vacations. We appreciate you for taking the time to share your comments; we will channelize your comments to the corresponding department to let them know the inconveniences you encountered to avoid them in the future.

We wanted to let you know that we do not take responsibility for the information provided by other agencies; we recommend you direct your concerns with their customer service so they can take action and avoid misleading our guests.

Despite being an all-inclusive resort, some amenities and services have an additional charge as stipulated on our website.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

The facility and grounds were beautiful and very clean. However, the service was poor to average. The staff was friendly but they were severely understaffed which set everyone up to fail. It seemed like the staff all had numerous jobs which made their one job of serving and taking care of the customers very difficult. The waiters were more concerned with clearing tables and sitting guests than serving water and beverages. In fact there was one meal that not a single person came over to ask me if I wanted a beverage. The bellboys were more concerned with greeting guests than getting the luggage up to the rooms. (we waited 45 minutes for our bags and then had to go get them ourselves). There was only one concierge to make reservations at the restaurant and he didn't even show up on time which made it near impossible to make reservations. The food was average at best, but there was good variety of restaurants and places to eat. However, the grounds were very well taken care of and the lay out of the pool and beach was very convenient.

1  Thank Jill B
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Jill,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience; this helps us recognize our areas of opportunity so we can provide a better service in the future.

We are very devoted to our guests, and the staff is committed to understand, help and satisfy all of your needs. Thank you for letting us know the inconveniences you encountered so we can enforce and improve the service, since your comfort and satisfaction is really important to us.

It is a pleasure to know you enjoyed our facilities and glad you had a pleasant vacation overall.
We hope to see you again soon, best regards.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

I have been to Mexico every year and for the holidays decided to go to the Oasis Sen...What a mistake...Arrived at 10:00 am and was informed that the room would be ready at 3:00. At 2:45 I went to the receptionist and was told the room was ready and given room keys. On arrival to the room, the room was dirty,sand covering the floor, bed unmade and the chair covers were stained. When I looked up I noticed a spider tarantula nesting in the curtains near the curtain rod. I went to the front desk and told them to change our room. The receptionist informed me that another room would be given to us and would be 1/2 hour later...2 hours later 6:30 in the evening we were finally given a room. When I arrived in the room there were no towels no refreshments and no refrigerator. I went back to the main desk and ask them for a refrigerator and I was informed that they ran out...Ran out how could this be when this hotel advertises great accommodations...We stayed there for 7 days and I was ready to come home...Cancun has grown so much that tourism should be the number one concern...I did sent a letter to the owners of the Oasis sen and have not heard from them...The hotel is run down and it appears that the money needed to update this facility is not being used to fix the problems and also to address the management of this hotel...

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank pamharr2014
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations, we would like to sincerely apologize and let you know that all your comments and opinions will be taken into account to offer a better service in the future and we be submitted to corresponding departments to correct and avoid any inconveniences with our future guests.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel to change your perception of us.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

September I already booked December sea view room, i flying Thirty hours go to mexico, hope enjoy my holiday, Completion of the registration formalities at the hotel, After, Waiter tell me no sea view room!!!

I asked why? The hotel does not answer, just give me a letter and asked to sign to accept

Contents of the letter are:

Excuses at this point are meaningless but are important for us to let you know that we are deeply concern in affording our guests with the best service and a complete satisfaction during your stay, reason why we would like to offer you:

* 1 internet card valid for 3day
* 1 Tour to Tulum for 2 people
* Credit of 120 usd for reservation 405671 valid on check out

This is not what I need most, because i already go to Tulum, Credit of $ 120 reservation 405671, only available in the hotel consumer, I do not understand why it is, I booked a sea view room, no sea view rooms refund the difference of prices is reasonable,The hotel's compensation was, did not consider customer need to. For hotel deal, I very dissatisfied!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank mthy_vov
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us. Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences that occurred during your stay. We will notify the corresponding department to let them know you were unsatisfied.

Furthermore, we wanted to let you know that we are currently on full occupancy and that is why the room was not available at that particular moment. In returned, we offered you some optional and special benefits for the inconvenience.