THOROUGH REVIEW: and tips at the end
OKay, before I start this review I want you readers to be advised that I'm kind of picky and once you rub me the wrong way... it's pretty hard to redeem yourself. Keep this in mind while you read. I am fickle and hard to please. i went on this trip with 3 other friends of mine, all girls. We travel twice a year around all different places. We know what's good, and what's not. We have high standards.
My friends and I stayed on the 8th floor, I don't know what the other reviewers are complaining about the stairs, we had elevators. Outside on the deck and towards the beach were some stairs but nothing crazy. Our rooms were cleaned ever day and nothing was stolen or damaged. I appreciated that we would control the temperature of the room ourselves. The view from our room was gorgeous. BUT... while I was getting ready for bed, I noticed that there were these dark brown spots on the sheets near the pillows, on the left hand side of the bed.... The sheets were not changed during my stay, (we stayed for 4 nights and 5 days)...There were also some white towels with red stains on them. Like someone smudged their red lipstick on the towel and it didn't wash off properly. TIP, bring a beach towel and use it if the ones you have in your room is dirty. As for the sheets, use that same towel of cover your sheets. OR just ask the maids to replace them and give extra tip for their service.
LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM. They were always so friendly and cheerful and our bell boy, forgot his name but he's like 5'5-5'6 has a bit of a belly (not in a bad way) and has a name that starts with "Al" or maybe it was Rafael..(Im so bad with names) but any ways he was so patient and kind with us. We went to our bags a couple of times before checkout and he it didn't bother him, or at least he didn't show it, and he was so helpful and careful with all of our luggage. He took really good care of our stuff. I really appreciated his attention to our luggage.
- The Coba, love this place! Unfortunately the Coba dinner buffet was closed during our stay there but the breakfast was open. Had the best breakfast buffet ever. Hands down. PHENOMENAL. I was kind of sad that we couldn't go to the dinner because when we went it was off peak season. Also, there this omelet making cook there, she's very good. I ate an omelet every morning.
-The BOX, a tapas restaurant, service and food portions change when it becomes busy. The first night my friends and I went, we were full after dinner, didn't even have space for the desert. Then we went again the same week but on a Wednesday when more people came to the hotel. We were served half the portions we got on Monday and the service dropped. Our waiter on the second night did not speak any English at all, so even asking for a spoon was a hassle (but that could be a fault of our own because us girls didn't know much Spanish but the little speck of Spanish we learned in high school). I know Tapas may not be a suitable dinner for most people and that it maybe considered "snack foods" but the first night it was so great and fulfilling that we expected the same the second time around. I guess we were wrong. We went to another restaurant "Muderme Mucho" for a second round of dinner. Don't get me wrong, we are not big girls, we range in weight from 98lbs-120lbs. And none of us were nearly close to being full on the second night.
-Muderme Mucho, a Mexican restaurant, their dinner menu is much better than their lunch. Go there for dinner and you will be happy. Love their waiters almost as much as I love their guacamole and salsa.
-Al sur, a Arabian themed restaurant, also has a set menu and the foods come out one at a time, not fulfilling, went to another restaurant for dessert afterwards.
- Moonlight Trattoria & Pizza, has a better lunch menu than dinner. Love the waiters at this place as well. Very friendly.
- Sushi Bar, please don't go here. Please eat somewhere else. My father is the head chef of a Japanese Sushi Restaurant. I know what good sushi taste like and I know what I'm talking about when I say, that is not good sushi, no where close. Waiters did not understand what we were saying, had trouble giving in our orders. There are other fabulous restaurants available in the hotel, go there.
-Happy Chicken, good friend chicken and fries, do not order the nuggets!
- Mr. Whimpy, the meat taste kind of funny, the person preparing our food was not sanitary at all. He was sweating, which I have no problem with, unless you sweat, then wipe it with your bare hands, and then continue to touch my tomatoes and buns to prepare my burger. He also lifted up his pants and then went straight back to opening a bag of potato chips and grabbing them with his unsanitary hands and placing them on my plate. GROSS.
- Benazuza, had breakfast there. THE BEST RESTAURANT in the hotel. My friends and I loved the attention to detail of the foods and their placement, as well as their "flow" with one another. Don't miss this restaurant! A MUST! The waiters are also very nice.
Pool/beach: it looked like a dream. It was so beautiful and the temperature was perfect! I fell in love with the setting. Ever picture we took of the scenery looked like it was a painting. I see it in my dreams.
People at the front desk were kind of snotty. I heard them talking to a few of the displeased guests and their responses, for most of the guests were "There's nothing we can do" and "I'm sorry but we can't." TIPS: Check out on time or else the charge is hefty.
Bell boys and waiters: FANTASTIC, expect for the waiters at THE BOX, whose service seems to change based on the amount of guests. Bartender, friendly and knows what I like, (forgot his name but he spiked his hair in the middle). There were also these other workers who kept you active, like the volleyball instructor, water aerobics instructor, yoga instructor, and more, its free to participate and it was so much fun!
TIPS TO REMEMBER:
1) Check out on time or else....$$$$$$. Also, once you checkout (12:30 pm), you can no longer use the services in the hotel (foods, drinks, etc.) without paying $25 per person fee.
2) DO NOT eat at the sushi restaurant, save your stomach for something else.
3) Go to THE BOX when it's a slow night.
4) Try to get the Bell boy that my friends and I had. Darn, I wish I remembered his name, but read the description above.
5) ENJOY THE VIEW! Relax! have fun :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "Oh yes - I'm sexy, sensuous... And adults-only resort that's romantic, relaxing and a little risque. Warm and inviting. Follow your bliss and learn my secrets -from my foodie-friendly gourmet dining experience to my exclusive Sian Ka'an preserve, a true Shangri-La, a lost paradise on earth". ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Oasis Sens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sens Del Mar Hotel Cancun
- Oasis Playa Cancun
- Cancun Oasis Playa
- Grand Oasis Playa Cancun Mexico
- Oasis Playa Hotel In Cancun
- Grand Oasis Playa Hotel Cancun