“Review by a princessy brat”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Oasis Sens

Grand Oasis Sens
Ranked #81 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Fresh Meadows, New York
“Review by a princessy brat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

THOROUGH REVIEW: and tips at the end
OKay, before I start this review I want you readers to be advised that I'm kind of picky and once you rub me the wrong way... it's pretty hard to redeem yourself. Keep this in mind while you read. I am fickle and hard to please. i went on this trip with 3 other friends of mine, all girls. We travel twice a year around all different places. We know what's good, and what's not. We have high standards.

Hotel room:
My friends and I stayed on the 8th floor, I don't know what the other reviewers are complaining about the stairs, we had elevators. Outside on the deck and towards the beach were some stairs but nothing crazy. Our rooms were cleaned ever day and nothing was stolen or damaged. I appreciated that we would control the temperature of the room ourselves. The view from our room was gorgeous. BUT... while I was getting ready for bed, I noticed that there were these dark brown spots on the sheets near the pillows, on the left hand side of the bed.... The sheets were not changed during my stay, (we stayed for 4 nights and 5 days)...There were also some white towels with red stains on them. Like someone smudged their red lipstick on the towel and it didn't wash off properly. TIP, bring a beach towel and use it if the ones you have in your room is dirty. As for the sheets, use that same towel of cover your sheets. OR just ask the maids to replace them and give extra tip for their service.

BELL BOYS/MEN/Greeters:
LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM. They were always so friendly and cheerful and our bell boy, forgot his name but he's like 5'5-5'6 has a bit of a belly (not in a bad way) and has a name that starts with "Al" or maybe it was Rafael..(Im so bad with names) but any ways he was so patient and kind with us. We went to our bags a couple of times before checkout and he it didn't bother him, or at least he didn't show it, and he was so helpful and careful with all of our luggage. He took really good care of our stuff. I really appreciated his attention to our luggage.

RESTAURANTS:
- The Coba, love this place! Unfortunately the Coba dinner buffet was closed during our stay there but the breakfast was open. Had the best breakfast buffet ever. Hands down. PHENOMENAL. I was kind of sad that we couldn't go to the dinner because when we went it was off peak season. Also, there this omelet making cook there, she's very good. I ate an omelet every morning.
-The BOX, a tapas restaurant, service and food portions change when it becomes busy. The first night my friends and I went, we were full after dinner, didn't even have space for the desert. Then we went again the same week but on a Wednesday when more people came to the hotel. We were served half the portions we got on Monday and the service dropped. Our waiter on the second night did not speak any English at all, so even asking for a spoon was a hassle (but that could be a fault of our own because us girls didn't know much Spanish but the little speck of Spanish we learned in high school). I know Tapas may not be a suitable dinner for most people and that it maybe considered "snack foods" but the first night it was so great and fulfilling that we expected the same the second time around. I guess we were wrong. We went to another restaurant "Muderme Mucho" for a second round of dinner. Don't get me wrong, we are not big girls, we range in weight from 98lbs-120lbs. And none of us were nearly close to being full on the second night.
-Muderme Mucho, a Mexican restaurant, their dinner menu is much better than their lunch. Go there for dinner and you will be happy. Love their waiters almost as much as I love their guacamole and salsa.
-Al sur, a Arabian themed restaurant, also has a set menu and the foods come out one at a time, not fulfilling, went to another restaurant for dessert afterwards.
- Moonlight Trattoria & Pizza, has a better lunch menu than dinner. Love the waiters at this place as well. Very friendly.
- Sushi Bar, please don't go here. Please eat somewhere else. My father is the head chef of a Japanese Sushi Restaurant. I know what good sushi taste like and I know what I'm talking about when I say, that is not good sushi, no where close. Waiters did not understand what we were saying, had trouble giving in our orders. There are other fabulous restaurants available in the hotel, go there.
-Happy Chicken, good friend chicken and fries, do not order the nuggets!
- Mr. Whimpy, the meat taste kind of funny, the person preparing our food was not sanitary at all. He was sweating, which I have no problem with, unless you sweat, then wipe it with your bare hands, and then continue to touch my tomatoes and buns to prepare my burger. He also lifted up his pants and then went straight back to opening a bag of potato chips and grabbing them with his unsanitary hands and placing them on my plate. GROSS.
- Benazuza, had breakfast there. THE BEST RESTAURANT in the hotel. My friends and I loved the attention to detail of the foods and their placement, as well as their "flow" with one another. Don't miss this restaurant! A MUST! The waiters are also very nice.

Pool/beach: it looked like a dream. It was so beautiful and the temperature was perfect! I fell in love with the setting. Ever picture we took of the scenery looked like it was a painting. I see it in my dreams.

workers:
People at the front desk were kind of snotty. I heard them talking to a few of the displeased guests and their responses, for most of the guests were "There's nothing we can do" and "I'm sorry but we can't." TIPS: Check out on time or else the charge is hefty.
Bell boys and waiters: FANTASTIC, expect for the waiters at THE BOX, whose service seems to change based on the amount of guests. Bartender, friendly and knows what I like, (forgot his name but he spiked his hair in the middle). There were also these other workers who kept you active, like the volleyball instructor, water aerobics instructor, yoga instructor, and more, its free to participate and it was so much fun!

TIPS TO REMEMBER:
1) Check out on time or else....$$$$$$. Also, once you checkout (12:30 pm), you can no longer use the services in the hotel (foods, drinks, etc.) without paying $25 per person fee.
2) DO NOT eat at the sushi restaurant, save your stomach for something else.
3) Go to THE BOX when it's a slow night.
4) Try to get the Bell boy that my friends and I had. Darn, I wish I remembered his name, but read the description above.
5) ENJOY THE VIEW! Relax! have fun :)

6 Thank Victorious975
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing such detailed comments with TripAdvisor’s readers, we feel completely honored that your stay was amazing.

We greatly appreciate all the suggestions you mentioned, they certainly help us improve in order to satisfy the expectations of our future guests the best way possible.

It is a pleasure to know you enjoyed our dining options, activities, facilities and especially our excellent service. We will surely congratulate our staff for always being attentive, smiling, and making you feel at home.

We would be pleased to welcome you again on your next vacation.
Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,054)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Me and my wife stayed here for a couple days. The staff was super friendly. The bartender Daniel and Joan, by the pool was really nice and helpful. Every day they have a show somewhere in the hotel. the food was really good. We are deff going back to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Luis R
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Luis,

Thank you very much for your kind and positive review. We are delighted you enjoyed our activities, shows and restaurants. We will surely congratulate the staff you mentioned for providing an excellent service.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope you can visit us again soon.

New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

My husband and I traveled on June 2nd - June 9th for our honeymoon. The weather put a damper on things due to the tropical storm. So the first 5 days was mostly rain. This is something nobody could control. However, the rooms starting flooding and there were leaks all throughout the hotel. The A/C was non existent in the hotel (after a few days you get used to it). The rooms were very comfortable though. Our A/C worked great in our room. The hotel was very pretty and for the most part, the staff was very friendly. We are open minded so the fact that this hotel "welcomes" the LGBT community didn't have any impact on our opinions of the stay. It was very mixed. Except the Kinky nightclub is not for everyone. It is the ONLY nightclub and does not appeal to all. Any time we went in, it was male strippers in high heels. Just wasn't our thing. They do have a few shows other than the night club shows (maybe 2 or 3 during the week) and it's not advertised. You only know it's going on if you happen to stumble upon it or you ask. The food was just average at best. Our main complaint is that most of the restaurants are outside poolside. If there are any signs of rain or bad weather they close down for whole day. For us, because there was a lot of rain, some of the restaurants NEVER opened. We never got to try the sushi bar. We were able to try Happy Chicken and Mr. Wimpy's once. There are no operation hours posted and they pretty much open and close whenever they want to even during sunshine. So we ate Italian and the buffet every day. The Italian restaurant is the best one but not much variety and the menu was substituted a lot due to being out of stuff. Our other big complaint is the pool bars (swim up) were never open and I saw a cocktail server once. If you wanted a drink you would have to dry off and go up to the lobby bar. If you get the VIP package make sure you ask for everything it offers. They do not automatically tell you at check in and we realized when we got home that we missed out on a lot of discounts including the smart car and the spa discounts (just because you are wearing a VIP bracelet they do not automatically give you a discount - ASK). If we would have paid for the VIP we would have been disappointed because the VIP area was never open. The Benazuza restaurant was a great experience and I recommend it. It's not something we would have done twice but so glad we did. You won't leave hungry. And if you do, go eat again at the buffet. Overall, this was a relaxing stay. This is NOT the hotel to stay at if you are looking for loads of fun and a popping night life, because that is pretty much non-existent. This is a great place to RELAX with no kids and to have alone time and romance. Being on our honeymoon, we were fine with it, and weren't bored. But wouldn't stay here again. I know it sounds mostly negative but it was a very pretty, very clean and very private hotel and the spa was AWESOME. We made the best of it.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor and our A/C worked great. Just ask for a room with lights. Ours didn...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nawlins_Girl_13
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry the weather was not optimal and that it caused some inconveniences during your stay, please accept our most sincere apologies. We want to let you know that all of your comments and opinions will be taken into account to offer a better service in the future and we will submit them to all departments in charged to correct these issues.

Regarding the entertainment, the concept of our hotel is an adult’s only with a relaxed and serene environment. Despite this, we still offer various moderate indoor and outdoor daily shows and activities to entertain our guests.

We are glad you received a great service from our staff and that you enjoyed your Spa Day.
We hope you can give us the opportunity to welcome you again.

Warm Regards.
Trinidad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I went to Oasis sens in February of this year for our honeymoon and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We were blown away by the ambiance of the place, the staff were friendly, the food was great, the view was amazing from our room, the lounge was awesome and the rooms had that romantic honeymoon feel. We have absolutely no regrets with our choice of Sens for our stay and would recommend it to anyone else who want to go, they really complemented the great company I had!TS

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Poetic_Empress
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

We were very pleased to greet you in our Hotel. Likewise, we would like to thank you for the flattering words and for sharing your experience with us on your recent visit to Cancun, celebrating your honeymoon.

We are delighted to have met your expectations and we thank you for your preference.
It has been a pleasure to serve you and we hope to see you again soon.

Groton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

We had a blast at Sens Oasis. The "lgbt friendly aspect of it makes it unique. Though there were only a few gay couples that I could tell, it was just a really comfortable vibe for everyone, truly "all inclusive" in the best sense. The swimming, dancing, and partying were great, of course, but I was particularly struck by how great the service was. Most notably, Jesus and Guadalupe at the Mexican restaurant were patient and enthusiastic. We had great laughs as I tried to practice my fledgling Spanish on them, and they always answered my myriad of questions with huge smiles. Not surprisingly, the Mexican restaurant has the best food of all the resort's restaurants. The whole staff at this resort was great, I thought. Another particular standout was Alejandra, who teaches dance and musters up the volleyball games. She's just really positive and fun to be around. One downside to Sens Oasis is that the gym is really small, but you can also visit the Oasis Grand as part of your deal, and they have a much better gym. You can do your cardio workout overlooking the breaking waves. "Foodies" might not be satisfied with this resort, but if you are just a fun-loving person who likes to meet like-minded folks, check it out.

Room Tip: Ocean view, of course. Also, if you have want to hang your clothes, don't put them in the close...
2 Thank annbanan_13
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive opinion about our hotel. We are delighted you spent your vacations in our hotel and glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We will make sure to congratulate the staff you mentioned for the great service they provided.
It was a pleasure to receive you and make of your vacations an unforgettable experience. Hope to see you again soon.
Fort Worth, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Just Returned - Stayed June 15th - 22nd, 2013

OMG Oasis Has really screwed up this Hotel!!!! - WILL NEVER RETURN
We stayed at this Hotel 2 different times when it was Oasis Playa (adults only) and it was Awesome. For some reason Oasis Sens Management changed to cater to LGBT.
The KINKY Night Club is 100% G & L.

Management at OASIS SENS - You need to get it together on the Employees you trust to manage the Hotel Check-in process. We were told for $150 US Cash we could upgrade our room to Ocean View with a balcony, but that did not happen. Went back to the
check-in area and the Guy said "no you only ask for Ocean View". The Guy told us he was the Manager, which turned out to be UNTRUE and he was just taking folks US$ money and putting it
into his pocket. We were a group of 8 (4 Rooms) and the manager (Louis) did finally help one of the couples.

VIP - don't believe you get any thing extra for the upgrade, Internet did not work, and the
extra bar and coffee shop never had anyone working.

SERVERS, Bartenders, etc. They are the BEST, Very AWESOME:
Ernesto Sanchez (bartender & server), Francisco (bartender & Server), Alfredo (Buffet waiter) and can't remember the Bartender in the SUNSET Bar, but he was Awesome.

ROOMS - We had 4 rooms (512, 715, 808, 810) - air-condition problems, rooms stayed HOT (hotel cut off the entire system one night to try to repair, but it didn't work). The lights did not work, TV and small refrigerator had to be replaced. Bath tub would not drain and
Water sprayed out all over the bathroom walls.

The BARS at this Resort Do not Open until 10am, our group likes to have Bloody Mary and
mimosa to start the day.

FOOD - Bland, but always found something worth eating.

For sure we never stay at any of the (5) Oasis Hotels in CANCUN.

Room Tip: There are NO good rooms, everyone we talked to complained about there ROOM.
4 Thank NANA_Sept_2010
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry for the inconveniences you had on your recent stay. We offer our sincere apologies. Please note that all of your comments and opinions are very important to us and will be submitted to the right department to take the necessary actions to correct them and provide new options for you in the in the future.

We are delighted you received an excellent service from our staff, we will congratulate them for making your stay more gratifying.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel to change your perception of us.
Best regards.

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

Hotel Review

Pros:

Very clean
Beautiful rooms & we were upgraded to an ocean view and oasis plus (VIP) status for our engagement
Happy Chicken was great for lunch - but I think we got food poisoning once
Coba buffet was great, tons of variety
Moonlight Italian Restaurant was our favourite place for lunch and dinner. Great service and outstanding food.
Rental smart cars available but there's a bus stop right outside that will take you into town for only $1.00 per person and it goes right to Walmart.

Cons:

Nightlife is nonexistent
Entertainment was disorganized (shows cancelled with no notice)
Nightclub wasn't open yet
Hardly any music by the pools during the day
Muerdeme mucho ( mexican restaurant) was terrible (service and food & smells like paint due to construction of The Kinky Nightclub)
Coffee & me lounge has a great setup but no one knows how to use the machines... Ask them to make you a coffee, they won't know how. Most of the time they aren't even there to make an attempt ....
Swim up bar is in a cave ... Freezing cold. What if they put a skylight in to get sun in it?
No wifi included
Kinky night club opened the day we left

Suggestions:

Popcorn machine and movie night in lobby on miserable days/nights
Hot tub
Music by the pool and on the beach would be nice to bring the energy up a bit. They did play Enya and Disney soundtracks once in a while though.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Bearjak
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Sens, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your opinion about your experience. We regret not having met your expectations and please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences during your stay. All your comments are fully considered in order to improve our range of services and facilities.

We must let you know that the Hotel has the ambience of tranquility and relaxation, as well as the "Adult only" experience, so we have various moderate indoor and outdoor shows and activities.

We look forward to welcome you again to show you all of the great shows and activities we have planned for you.