“Decent hotel with great staff!!!”
Review of Grand Oasis Sens

Grand Oasis Sens
Ranked #84 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Blaine, Minnesota, United States
“Decent hotel with great staff!!!”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We just got back from our trip at the Oasis Sens. We had a great time. We got upgraded to a plunge pool room on the 7 th floor. Amazing view! The general manager Josue was fabulous! He took care of all our needs. The pools are great and so was the swim up bar and bartender Ernesto. The sun chairs are comfortable! The breakfast buffet was good and consistent. The staff at the breakfast buffet works hard and are very friendly. Martha the breakfast chef made a terrific egg white omelet. We ate at the dinner buffet once and it was very good. We ate twice at the Mexican restaurant for dinner. Very good food and Juan Carlos is the best server!!!!! We ate the Mexican restaurant once for lunch. They were very understaffed and it was a long wait. It was good food once we got it. We ate once at the new Arabian restaurant. It was very good! Our bartender David makes the best drinks! He was great. Our servers Dylan and Raul were hard workers and friendly. We ate several times at the sushi restaurant. Mauro our server here was great and so was the sushi!!! The Italian restaurant was great for dinner and lunch. The Italian restaurant was again under staffed which affected service and timing of food. The servers there were working so hard but just not enough of them. The hotel had great shows and was extremely clean. The hotel needs to fix their fitness equipment and another treadmill. I was disappointed that sun beds were available for an additional cost and I never saw them being used. Also they had a new wine bar for additional costs. That should be included in the all-inclusive price. The cabaret shows were good. They have added a coffee place but it should be available to all and open earlier in the morning. I think this place is great for the money. But you need to get a good deal.

Room Tip: Higher the better and ask for an ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,111)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Well, let me begin by saying I didn't take any of the negative reviews seriously because my husband and I aren't hard to please and assumed that all of them were posted by really picky people. We traveled with my co-worker and her husband. They had everything they needed and would never have known there was a problem if they hadn't witnessed all that we went through. I'm convinced it's a luck of the draw scenario here all the time. First, the guy didn't seem to be expecting us at check in and our friends got checked in immediately (we booked the exact same trip through the same travel agent, btw). We got to our room and there were no towels, no minibar (fridge with water bottles, cokes, beer), and no cable box so there was no TV. We waited in our room for 2 hours for these things to be brought up. They brought up towels and a cable box, but no beach towels or minibar. After we finally got changed and went downstairs, we passed our friends on their way back up. It was almost dinner time and they'd been in the sun and playing volleyball the whole time so we were pretty bummed that we missed out. Next morning we still had no mini bar, so nothing drinkable in our room and no beach towels. We got beach towels from the guy by Mr. Wimpys so that got checked off the list. We spent all day in the sun... the beach was great, but there is definitely a problem with people leaving their crap on chairs all week so there is no were decent to lay out unless you are bold and move their stuff. Anyway, we spend all day having a great time and getting sun and then go back to our room to get ready for dinner.... no mini bar. My friend and I had to get the guy from Delta Vacations (who we booked the trip through) to stand in line at reception and they finally told him the fridge (apparently the only extra one in the resort) was being fixed and they would send up an ice bucket and waters, etc, which they did. The next morning we had no plumbing... no shower, no toilet, nothing. I had to poor the melted ice water from the bucket into the tank of the toilet to get it to flush. We took hot beer cans down to the beach to drink while we waited for the beach bar to open (supposed to open at 9:00, but they don't seem happy to see customers until at least 10:00). Anyway, after another fun outdoor day we get back to our room and there is finally a minibar, yay! but we went to get some money out of our safe but it had reset itself and we couldn't get into it. Oh, and there was still no water and we couldn't take showers for dinner. The next day they sent a plumber and fixed that issue but we had to go back to our room in the middle of the day and wait around for the concierge to fix our safe b/c you have to be in the room with them for that, obviously, so we wasted precious sun time. Anyway, by the last day the issues were fixed and ultimately we had a good time, but it had nothing to do with the hotel... except maybe the restaurants. Italian and Mexican were good. And the hot dogs at Mr. Wimpys, I just wish they were open everyday. We met fun people and there was excellent people watching but we will not be back. We've stayed at two other placed in Cancun over the last 3 years and this was by far the biggest disappointment. The moral of the story is, you may get lucky like my friends did and have no issues, but you might be the one out of 10 or so that gets screwed. It just really seemed like they threw us in a room that no one had any business staying in and they also seemed understaffed. The servers in the restaurants were happy and helpful, but bartenders (other than Ricardo in the Lobby bar) and all of the people at the front desk need serious attitude adjustments... They really seemed like they would rather be anywhere else.

Room Tip: We stayed in 811... do NOT let them put you there.
2 Thank Blair S

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I read a ton of reviews before booking at the Oasis Sens and saw good and bad. I was nervous about the choice but thought that a vacation is what you make of it and that some of the negative comments had to be from very picky well travelled people. In the end some of the concerns were very true and others I have no idea where they came from.

The main issue my wife and I had with Oasis Sens was when we arrived we get to the hotel lobby and find a large group of French speaking people (some with Oasis bracelets and others without) yelling at the front desk people because the ones without bracelets were being transferred to another hotel and the others that had already checked in wanted everyone to be together. We got into a different line and then found out that the people in front of us were also being transferred to another hotel as well. They were VERY upset. I started to get nervous that the hotel was full (despite having made advance reservations) and that the negative reviews on this subject were coming true. After about 30 minutes waiting at the front desk for those in front of us to be helped we also find out that we are being 'upgraded' to a new hotel at the opposite end of the Cancun Hotel Zone...the Sens was full! When booking our Cancun vacation we specifically selected the Sens - not the Oasis hotel chain. Believe the reviews that talk about misleading website information. The hotel has changed names in the last few months and most of the website info on this place is out of date. There was no point getting upset at the front desk staff - this isn't their fault - they are just the ones who have to deal with upset people wanting the vacations they were paying for and that was advertised to them.

We were moved to the Grand Oasis Palm (there is nothing grand about it!) and stayed there one night and checked out and went back to the Sens the next morning to see if we could get in this time for the remainder of our 7 night stay. The front desk checked us in immediately and even upgraded us to VIP access for the inconvenience of having to go to the other hotel without us asking for it. Our room wasn't ready yet but it was 10am so we just left our bags with the bellman and came back to get our room assignment after 3pm - no big deal.

The rest of the stay was great. Yes, you have to get up super early (as in 5am) if you want and umbrella chair at the beach but getting a chair is still possible later in the mornings or even later in the day. We never found the staff to be standoffish or rude - in fact just the opposite. They were extremely nice and always attentive. I think if we had been upset or rude to them for things that happened they may have been the same back but why blame the staff for a problem that comes from the Oasis corporate policy of misleading advertising and hotel overbooking just to throw the overflow into other lower quality hotels in the same chain?

There were many things that we didn't know about and nobody explained to us but after 7 days you just kind of figure out (how to get beach towels exchanged, who is allowed in the VIP sections, what does VIP even mean/what does it get you) - the hotel site map is very poor and finding your way around is a bit of a challenge at first. I guess if you like to explore and figure things out as you go (trial and error) then no big deal.

Will I come back to Cancun again? Yes. Will I come back to an Oasis hotel again? Not as long as I continue to read reviews that show evidence that Oasis is outright lying about what they and their hotels are offering to clients.

Stayed April 2013
3 Thank skkays
United States
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Oasis Sens from March 30th through April 6th. We enjoyed the fact it was an adult only resort! The resort is beautiful! The lobby was appealing, our room was very nice and clean. The maid did a wonderful job each day! The only complaint with the room is that the ceiling began leaking on the last day (more like pouring). We called the front desk but no one ever came. We placed towels on the floor to soak up the water, but it eventually stopped leaking. Over all, we really enjoyed the hotel for most of our vacation. The food was not the best, but decent. The buffet was very good. The service is TERRIBLE, but most of the time it was not the fault of the waiters/waitresses because they are trying their best with the amount of tables they are assigned. They need to hire more staff.
My husband and I had a good time until the very LAST day of our stay. What occurred on the last day is NOT excusable. My husband and I were relaxing on the beach and having some drinks at the beach bar. I went up to the bar and ordered two drinks. I brought these drinks back to my husband for him to drink. These two drinks were DRUGGED!!!! After my husband drank these drinks, he was so out of it, he could not stand up straight. Somehow I got him back to the room. After, he passed out for about 7 hours. I could NOT wake him up. I knew he was okay and breathing well, but would hardly move. When he woke up, he could not remember ANYTHING that had happened from leaving the beach. This was SCARY! I know some of you are thinking he probably got drunk, but trust me, when you go to this place, you will realize it is impossible to even catch a buzz at this place, much less get drunk! All of the drinks are watered down. Not to mention my husband can handle drinking. He has NEVER blacked out from drinking and did not even have any bit of a buzz before drinking these two drinks.
I believe the intentions were to get my husband and myself drugged; possibly to rob us. What is SAD and SCARY is the fact you cannot even trust the bartenders at this place. I NEVER write reviews, but I felt this was necessary. This is a threat to someones life, and it is not acceptable! BE SAFE when traveling. I advise you to spend a dollar to take the bus to Walmart and purchase your own liquor/beer/wine. Besides, the bartenders want a tip EVERY time you go up to the bar, so buying your own drinks will not cost any extra than what you would spend in tips. Drinking your own drinks here is the ONLY safe way.

5 Thank UnitedStatesVisitor
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed April 10, 2013

While in Mexico on business I decided to fly to Cancun for four days and 5 nights, I picked the Oasis Sens and I got what I paid for. I went alone and at this resort if you are alone and in great athletic shape some presume I was gay. I am however a social butterfly so I had my butt grabbed a few times. All was cool with me as I take it as a compliment to my conditioning. The shows were #! rated but yet short. Sunset bar was relaxing with live music. Beach was #2 to me compared to Varadaro Cuba. The food was spectacular with a large variety in the buffets. Chicken by the pool was close to home with a back yard type of atmosphere. i had a week that was windy but not the resorts fault. Beach was cleaned each morning as for the lobby and everywhere else in the hotel their was cleaners all over doing a great job. Like all resorts I have been to tips mean better servive at the bar and food court areas. Bring american 1 dollars or use mexico pecos.

Room Tip: facing the lagoon is good, resort next door has a loud PA system so in the middle would be better. I...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Palmyra, Virginia
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is our honest and lengthy review of our vacation to Oasis Sens. April 1st to April 8th. I am going to write this as what happens on a typical day.

Plan on someone in your group getting up at 5:30AM in order to run down to the beach, pool, etc. and reserve a spot for the day. There are hardly any lounge chairs with umbrellas either around the pool or down by the ocean. We personally did not have a problem with this because I normally get up early, but we heard from various others that this lack of shelter from the sun was a problem for them. Some even said that others took the space they reserved early in the morning while they were at breakfast and sometimes their reserved umbrella was also taken! There is a wonderful spot to hang out if your want peace and quite. Down by the Moroccan side of the hotel there are comfortable day beds surrounding a quite pool. This space also has a bar that is open most of the day and evening. Evening entertainment occurs here every other night. More on that later.

The beach is just beautiful. The white sand goes on for miles in either direction and the water of the Caribbean has three shades of blue! The beach is clean and most people, whom walk the beach, walk down by the tidal mark because the sand is so soft! Depending upon the weather, if the wind is strong from the East, don’t plan on swimming in front of the hotel. The undertow will take you out. Two resorts to the north there was a sand bar that allowed people to swim in the ocean even on the rough days. If the winds are coming from the West the waves are small the swimming in the ocean is amazing. BUT do not plan on using rafts because there are to many waves. During the day there is a beach bar opened just for drinks. The liquors at the resort are bottom level. I continuously asked for dark rum, etc. and was told in all of the bars except two that they did not have the better liquors. And yes we booked at the most upgrade we could get, the “Si’an Kan Club”. Also NO CORONA, NO KAILUA, NO JOSE CREVEZ! And this was Mexico. It worked well if you brought your large drink container so you would not have to use the small plastic glasses that they had. More on evening drinks later.

The main pools are really nice, yet they were not designed with guests in mind. Since the resort is on the side of a steep sand dune, the main lobby area might be 80 feet above the ocean. Thus three pools are in steps. The top pool is quite and not many people used this pool. The reason why was because there was no bar, no bathroom, and hardy any shade or lounge chairs around this pool. The water from this pool cascaded in two waterfalls into another lower pool with a swim up bar. This sounds wonderful, right. NOT SO. The swim up bar is under a cement structure and no direct sunlight hits the built in cement chairs in front of the bar. We seldom saw anyone hanging out at this bar because it was too cold. Instead some quests just swam in to get a drink and left. The worst part about the smaller pool with the bar is that the water was way to deep to stand and the access was a pain. You had to maneuver yourselves around steps and benches. Thus if you really wanted a drink from this bar and you were lounging on the patio you literally had to climb up stairs, down stairs, over walls and finally get wet under those cascading waterfalls to reach the swim up bar. Needless to say we did not see many people in this area. Forget it if you are overweight, handicapped, or elderly. The bottom pool is a beautiful infinity pool. This was the best one of the three. It was about 2 feet below the swim up bar pool, yet separated by a poolside wall that you could not climb over. The infinity pool is well documented in pictures of the resort. Nice depth of 4 ½ feet. We used this pool a lot, but you have to get there early to reserve a spot. We saw many people just stay in this pool all day. A few had brought rafts. The hotel provides none. There was a person that came around and got you drinks.

There were daily activities down at the beach and up by the infinity pool. We took advantage of the water aerobics classes. There were three activity employees. Sabina was a blast and Jorge did a good job. I just got to tell you this funny story. At 10:00 in the morning they tried to get people to play horseshoes down at the beach. Jorge had NO IDEA how to play the game. He put the stakes about 10 feet apart and there were only THREE horseshoes. I had to tell him that the posts were supposed to be 44 feet and he needed four shoes. Needless to say horseshoes was somewhat limited. At 11:00 volleyball would occur followed by the water aerobics, darts, dance lessons, etc. YET there was NO ACTIVITY BOARD anywhere around the resort. Suggestion for the resort: put an activity board in the main lobby and down by the pools listing all the entertainment for the day. All other resorts that we have been to post for the guests. We constantly had to keep asking what is going on, what time, and where.

Breakfast: Only two choices for the entire resort. One was the Benazuza, which was great. We had the upgraded plan and took advantage of this twice. There is a set menu and they bring you one item after another. My wife and myself thoroughly enjoyed this. If you are on the standard plan, you have to pay! The other choice for breakfast was the Buffet. This place called the Cobo Restaurant is very difficult to get to. It is not by the beach, but on the opposite side of the resort and you have to go down 23 steps to get to this place. Because of the limited space, sometimes the lines were 20 minutes long to get an average buffet breakfast. They do not know how to make an omelet. Not handicapped accessible and once again if you have any problems walking, you will not be able to get to this place. The stairway going down to the restaurant is very wide and has beautiful marble stairs, yet if you fell, you would be dead! In the USA this would not be allowed.

Lunch at a resort should be easy, right? Just put a robe over your swimsuit and get some food by the beach, pool, etc. Forget it. DO NOT EAT at Mr. Wimpies. The worst hamburgers in the world. In fact Mexico is not the place to go for beef. Then there is a chicken (just chicken) place called Happy Chicken. Picnic tables on outdoor carpeting. Some shade, yet eating there once is enough. You can always change clothes, go across the resort and down those stairs to the buffet. This almost makes you want to skip lunch. BUT WAIT! One place was great. It was the Italian Restaurant. Nice choice on the menu, you get to sit down and be served. If you order the fish, (good choice) you must tell them NOT to overcook it. In fact in order for the salmon to be pink inside tell them “Medium Rare.” We had to wait sometime to get into the place because it literally was the best choice for lunch at the resort.

Now a few odds and ends before I get to dinner and the fabulous entertainment which is the BEST part of Oasis Sens.

1. The bathrooms by the pools are almost non-existent. In fact you have only two choices. One in the main lobby. So climb a few sets of steps with your wet bathing suit, go through the very beautiful marbled floor lobby and find the rest rooms by the Smart Car Rentals. Hopefully you can hold it that long. No, there are NO bathrooms by the restaurants. There is also one bathroom down by the showers when you leave the beach. That’s it! Why in the world would someone design a large resort with seven places to eat and not a single restroom near where you eat. They need to do something about this! If you are in the Buffet Cobo Restaurant you have to climb up 23 steps, walk across a large lobby to get to the bathrooms. Then walk back across the lobby and down 23 steps. HASSEL!

2. We took advantage of the fact that we could visit the other Oasis resorts. One day we went to Oasis Palm. Took the local bus ($1.00) and were there in fifteen minutes. Lots more trees and shade with plenty of lounge chairs. A beach without waves, but with kids all over the place. Definitely a family resort. Yet we found the food better for lunch. They were conveniently located, with several choices of where to eat. OH and the swim up bar is in the sun and they serve Higher end liquors.
Another day we wanted to visit the Oasis Grand but were told they were too busy. Hum, the original promotion said we could. So instead we rented the Smart Car. You actually just pay $45.00 for the insurance. They inspected the car for 5 minutes noting any scratches, etc. These were written down on our form. We were told that if the car had any other scratches when we returned the car, our $600 deposit would be charged. Holding our breaths we said OK and used the car to travel to Oasis Grand Tulum. What a wonderful resort. They could not have been nicer. Ingrid at the main desk gave us a map, told us the best places for lunch and about the bar and plunge pools on the third floor overlooking the quite Caribbean Sea. OMG, you have to go there and use these pools. Drinks were served to us while we were in the pools. We did not have to ask, they just came! Towels and comfortable lounges all over the place. We made it back to Oasis Sens without a scratch on the car and thoroughly enjoyed this side trip. Visiting other resorts FREE is certainly a bonus.

3. The view from our room 779 was fantastic. Probably the best view we have ever had in 40 years of traveling. The winds were strong and sometimes prevented us from enjoying out plunge pool on the patio, but when the winds calmed down, it was heaven up there. Very private. No outside music or plugs, so if you want music, bring an extension cord for the i-pod player. Our maid service was just OK. The resort does NOT have it down yet about getting the rooms done on time. Most resorts have a plastic card that you put on your door handle asking for either privacy or to have the room cleaned. Thus the maids know when your room if free to clean. Here there was ONLY ONE MAID for the entire 7th floor. She would begin on one end of the hallway and work towards the other end. Since we were on the end, three of the days our room was not cleaned until about 5:00. This was not convenient if you were taking a nap before dinner or getting dressed for dinner. Our room was clean and the fridge was stocked with GREAT stuff and snacks every day. Yes we were on the Si’an Kan Club and expected this. The Internet service was great and we used our computer to plug into the very large flat screen TV to watch shows we had previously recorded and saved on the computer. Bring you cables and attachments if you plan to take this route. Otherwise you are stuck with paying for movies. PS no adult channels.

4. Throughout the week we watched the staff hustle and hustle. If you are nice to them, they are nice to you. We were pleased with the condition of the resort. The marble floors and glass windows were being constantly cleaned. Garbage containers were emptied often, things were picked up, etc. Thumbs up to the staff. They were GREAT. We did not notice any lack of service if we did not tip or if we tipped. Being from the USA and from Charlottesville, VA., we bought along about $60.00 in $2.00 bills. Get it? Thomas Jefferson? Monticello? The people we tipped loved the $2.00 more then the $5.00. So even if it is an all-inclusive resort, we think it is the polite thing to do a little tipping.

Now for the evenings. In the past fifteen years we have visited over 13 different resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico. We read about the lack of entertainment at this resort from people on Trip Advisor. All we can say is that either they did not attend the shows, went to another place, or things changed in the past month. OMG. This was the best entertainment we ever witnessed. Typically there is a show either in the lobby or down by the upper pool every other evening around 8:00. Grab a drink and get to your seat about 15 minutes before the shows begin. You will be blown out of the water. Sexy, beautifully choreographed, top of the line dancers, and sounds systems that fill the space with magic. BUT WAIT! There is more. Every other night there is a show down by the Moroccan pool and restaurant. Also a nice place for dinner and a show. Plan on making reservations for dinner the night of a show and you will be 20 feet from the stage. Our best night was the belly dancing that had 6 beautiful girls with out of the world costumes. But the other three nights were just as good. There is also a piano bar in the Sunset Lounge. Actually a nice place to watch the sunset, watch the lobby shows and enjoy shows on a smaller scale. Every evening entertainment was provided from about 8 until ??

Now for the ultimate. The KINKY nightclub is really something. The color scheme is silver and purple. They must have just opened this up because everything was new and clean. The bartenders worked hard here, but do not expect top of the line drinks. I asked for a black Russian that is made with Kailua, right? No Kailua . The shows are on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights at 10:00. BUT if you want a table by the stage or some of the comfortable soft lounges, you have to get here about 9:45. The shows are the most sexy we have ever seen. Realize that this is a LGBT friendly resort. The show sure was. Dancing was outstanding on there was also top-notch singing. The lights, smoke, sound system, and over all appearance rates right up there with the best in NYC! The only thing that the resort needs to do is to get people to dress up sexy for this nightclub. Way to many people just in jeans. Where was the glitter?

The last aspect of an evening is of course dinner. With our plan we had the Benazuza included for one night. Way to much food was severed. You did not have a choice. All the food comes in small amounts, but there must have been 20 different courses. Everyone we talked to said by the end, they were so full that they could not enjoy the last five parts of the dinner. Glad we did not have to pay extra for this. Then there is the Buffet in the Cobo Restaurant. Climb down the 23 steps to just a so so buffet. Another choice is the Moroccan place, which was fun, but you have no choice. Food keeps coming, but not large quantities. Good to try once, maybe twice. Our least favorite was the Mexican place. They seemed to run out of everything and it was not that good. AND finally there is the Italian Place. We kept on coming back here. Three out of the seven nights. Food was OK and the wine was good. The waiters were friendly and helpful.

I cannot think of much more to say for you travelers. I have plenty of comments for the hotel owners about the construction of the resort, but for travelers this is about it. Overall here are my ratings.
Room 4 ****
Beach 4 ****
Pools 3 ***
Meals and Food Quality 2 **
Drink Quality 2 **
Staff 5 *****
Lounge chairs and sun block locations 1 *
Easy of getting around from beach to pool to rooms, etc. 2 ** If you have problems walking 0 star.
Bathroom locations and numbers 2 **
Ability to visit other Oasis Resorts 4 ****
Day Entertainment 3 ***
Evening Entertainment 5 *****

Hope this helps. Please feel free to contact us for specifics.

Room Tip: room 779 was GREAT! See pics
3 Thank JohnStenz
Montreal
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed in april 2013 and we enjoyed it.
Plus: Beautiful hotel, great location, clean,quiet and not to big . Rooms are spacious. Pools are fantastics with breathtaking view. The beach is super: white sand and a lot of big waves. No reservations needed for most of the restaurant a la carte. Food: not super but ok. Breakfast at the Benazuza (now free) is fantastic (molecular gastronomy). The staff is kind. Many bars and restaurants near the pool. Bus cost 1$ to go " dowtown Cancun". Feel no obligations to tip all the time.
Minus: Drinks with cheap alcohol. No free internet. Have to get up very early in the morning (6AM) to reserve a chair.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
GR Caribe by Solaris
GR Caribe by Solaris
#25 of 175 in Cancun
Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort

Been to Grand Oasis Sens? Share your experiences!