“This worked!”

Grand Oasis Sens
Ranked #83 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
“This worked!”
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Good ambiance. Nice, but sparse, room. Food choices better at lunch than in evening. Little irritating that the "good" stuff cost extract at an "all-inclusive". No brandy/cognac at any of the bars unless you pay $10-12. Maid service a bit spotty. But, sitting out the last night on the deck in a gentle breeze seemed the way it should be.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,101)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We've been here for the past 24 hours. The property is beautiful but the service is awful. We've had maintenance up to our room three times to fix our toilet but no one seems too concerned with the fact we can't flush it. The staff, with the exception of the activity staff are rude and seem so unhappy. It's a shame because its paradise here.....oh we'll, you can't have everything can you?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cecile D

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I started this review on 4/4 after the most horrific start to our "fabulous all inclusive" vacation at Oasis Sens. However, because of the spotty internet, it never posted. I am re- posting today with more details from our new hotel - Live Aqua (thank you cheapcaribbean AND Live Aqua for being so accommodating and helping to rectify our nightmare of a vacation.

My friend and I decided to start a daily account of what we have experienced as oasis sens since we got here yesterday. If you are reading this and think it is a good deal - it is a scam. Stay away. We are actively looking to transfer to another hotel ( I recommend Live Aqua). We are going to write daily reviews on our experience here. To start (and more to come) - the VIP package is a scam. The premium liquor is not included, there is no room service menu in any rooms(so who knows If premium VIP is more exclusive. You have to pay for captain Morgan (in the VIP lounge). The Internet code will not allow 2 of you to use it at the same time. We were given a room that not only had no pool, it had no balcony. Deceitful - read on later for more. I called for more beer and water in mini fridge and they told me it was an extra 136 pesos. We have called our cheapcaribbean agent to move us to another hotel. By the way, our toilet in first room we had to stay in our first night here (last night, 4/3) the toilet wasn't working and we could not flush. More to come. Please do not book oasis sens. We are low maintenance girls who just wanted sun, beach, sand and cocktails. Our vacation has already been ruined given the amount of time we have been trying to deal with one disappointment(please read as "misled") after another.

Here is the actual email we sent to the head customer service rep, Jonathan, after he asked us to send him an email detailing the concerns we have encountered in 36 hours:

Hi Jonathan,

I am following up on our numerous discussions in person on our dissatisfied stay so far at your hotel- Oases Sens.
We were excited for our trip, booking an "all inclusive" and were bragging to all friends, family and colleagues. So needless to say- we have been very unhappy since our arrival on April 3rd. We read a lot of reviews and considered the good and the bad. Based on some bad reviews, we decided to upgrade to the Sian Ka'an club. Which states on the web page numerous things which are misleading. The list is as following:

It is impossible to contact any one at your front desk to confirm details that we had booked online. Therefore, when we got here and were sent to our room, we were appalled that we were put in a room with not only no plunge pool or hot tub, but not even a balcony. Upon going back to the VIP lounge, we were told we were put in a room with 2 double beds bc the VIP rooms only have king beds. One - that should be CLEARLY stated online(which it isn't, as we did a ton of research before coming). Secondly, instead of downgrading us without telling us, we were automatically put in that room. There should have been a call made to us since we are required to give copious amounts of contact information when booking. At the very least, we should have been able to make that decision when we arrived instead of being downgraded. The only person I was able to get in touch with was someone from a number listed online - some oasis answering service. When I told them about the double bed request in the VIP room - they told me that was not a problem. FALSE. However, thank you for the conmplimentary massage to rectify. (Amanda's interjection here which was not included in email to Jonathan: he told me we would get a massage to compensate our troubles. We said great, can we have it now? He said - of course. We dropped our bags off and went back to meet him and he took us to the spa. Jonathan and the manager spoke in Spanish and he finally said - this is the spa manager and she will take care of your 25 minute massage. I said - uh, no. Where is it standard anywhere to give a 25 minute massage? I didn't even think to question the duration of the massage, but lesson learned. When I spoke up, Jonathan and the spa manager started speaking in Spanish again and then at some point, the spa manager laughed (which made me more irate - since I felt she was laughing at us for being high maintenance, demanding and unappreciative. Ultimately, we got a 50 minute massage, but not that moment as stated. We had to come back later when they had availability (which I get, but don't tell me we can have it now if we can't)) the rest of the below is a continuation of the email sent to Jonathan Ramirez at oasis sens:

Your website clearly states the smart car insurance is $30. Upon arrival, we were told it was $45. If you make changes like that, it needs to be updated on all your sites. That is blatant deception and only makes the guest more irate. The issue is not that it is $45, the issue is that (yet again) we were led to believe something was not as advertised.

There are hidden additional charges everywhere here. The VIP club is "supposed" to have access to premium liquor and minibar AND a premium room service menu based on the VIP details online. When we called for more water and beer when finally arriving in a "VIP" room (which was better than the first room, but by no means is it a "private balcony"). Anyways, we were told it would cost more money for beverage delivery and if I wanted ice, I should go to a bar. Also, when I did change rooms, I was told a bellman would meet me at my room, which he never did. I took my bags myself to the lobby and asked an employee to help - in which he nodded his head in the direction of the bell man and said - you will need to go grab one of them. Was he serious? I had 2 huge suitcases and he couldn't go grab someone for me?

You should know by now that guests need 2 internet codes. This was not provided to us, and after speaking with you to rectify, the code was re-set and amanda was kicked off until 12 the next day when we were finally given a new one.

There are nowhere near enough chairs around your pool for the amount of guests you have here. We had to be up at 530 this morning to reserve one. Who wants to set their alarm for that hour on vacation?

There are no menus in the rooms, which would be fine for the resort restaurants, but how do we know what we can order from room service?

We requested an umbrella at the pool and it never came.

In our first room, we could not flush the toilet at all.

In our second room, one of the curtains is hanging off the rod so we were not able to block the light in the morning.

When we finally got to the new room, the minibar was empty and we had no glasses.

There is more, but it is minute at this point. We feel this hotel is run in a top down management way of making intentionally deceitful and unclear statements to lure guests here. The issue is not what you "offer" here per se - if we had known what we were getting, we would have been ok. The reason we are so pissed is that in the 48 hours we have been here, we feel everything has been a lie. It is one frustration after the next. Other than Jonathan, most of the other staff is pretty standoffish and almost even rude.

**end of email

Ultimately, we were able to transition to Live Aqua (which is unbelievably amazing and if you are coming to cancun, in my opinion, there is no other place to stay other than here.

When we went back to the VIP lounge once we had confirmed our hotel details at Live Aqua, we spoke with Laura who "checked us out". She spent a good 20 minutes at the front desk doing "something" and when we were finally able to leave, she told us she needed to cut off our bracelets. She cut them off with barely a word and we said - "Are we all set?" She said yes. There was no goodbye, and definitely no apology or attempt to salvage any ounce of respect we had left for the place.

I can keep going on and on, which I will once we receive notification regarding the 100% termination fee we may be charged for changing hotels. Cheapcaribbean agents (thank you Christina and Kelly) are working with oasis sens to waive the termination fee, but they need to work with Jonathan and he was off today 4/5/13). I hope he has the decency to rectify this situation by ensuring we are only charged for the 2 nights we were there. If not, we owe an additional $1800 to live aqua for our stay.

If you want an honest, stress free vacation where you don't feel misled and duped, please do not stay here. We thought - how bad could it be? Our first 3 days were ruined and no amount of money can change those memories or that awful start. Please use your hard earned money somewhere other than oasis sens.

I am more than happy to go into more details if you want to contact me personally. My name is Amanda Greene and I can be reached via email at Greene.amanda1@gmail.com or Debbie Hickey at dhickey41@gmail.com.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank Amanagreene
canada
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed here from March 9-16, and were very positively and pleasantly surprised.After having read all of the negative reviews posted over the last few months, we were not at all looking forward to staying there. Fortunately, those reviews turned out to be unfounded, and, as a result, we have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Given that some of the more recent reviews highlight a lot of the positive aspects of the hotel, and given that we share those positive comments, we can only add our approval of them.

Amongst other things,we would like to mention how friendly and accommodating all of the staff members were. In particular, we are very appreciative for the outstanding service that we received from front desk staff, Marisol and Judy.

The one negative comment that we would have is in regards to the hotel's design. While we did not mind having to frequently climb up and down stairs, we did find that the stairways were inherently dangerous and treacherous.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank acct-murray
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Just visited the resort between March 3rd and March 10th, and absolutely loved it! The location is perfect. It’s very close to the airport and pretty close to downtown Cancun (the bus is only $1 a person).

ROOM

We stayed on the 8th floor in room 827, which is technically a lagoon view, but it’s right on the edge so you see the lagoon on one side of the balcony and the ocean on the other side, which couldn’t have been nicer. Sunwing delayed our flight by 10 hours, so we were pretty grumpy when we arrived, but David at the front desk checked us in very quickly, and gave us a balcony room. That was very nice of him. The room itself was spacious, clean, and everything worked well. We didn’t have an iron so we called down, and it was brought up to us within about 15 minutes. Housekeeping did a great job every day and made us adorable little towel figurines – so cute! We left a note at the minibar asking for extra water and beer, and they accommodated our requests.

POOL/BEACH

The resort is fairly small, which we liked. You can get familiar with it quickly and get around easily. The pool area is lovely, although the water was a little cold for my taste – not my boyfriend, though. He was swimming every day. The lounge chairs are well kept, attractive, and very comfy, with thick padding. There were not too many umbrellas around the pool, so it’s true that if you want a prime spot, you might want to wake up around 7/8 and leave your towels on some choice chairs before you grab breakfast. If you’re not picky, though, it’s not a huge issue. Chairs become available throughout the day. There’s music playing, and we found it to be a nice mix. A variety of reggae, dance, pop, slow jams, etc. The entertainers at the pool are a fun couple of girls. They do aqua aerobics, darts, ping pong, horseshoes, beach volleyball. We participated some days and just chilled out on other days, but they really try to get people going. The beach was nice, too, with little hut-style umbrellas and four poster lounge beds with roofs. These were also prime spots that you had to wake up early for, but again, if you’re okay with direct sun, there were plenty of chairs lined up for you to grab and move around. The water does have a lot of waves, which can be a little too much for petite people or poor swimmers. That said, I’m (athletic, but) a very poor swimmer and I still had an amazing time jumping and playing around in the waves with my boyfriend.

FOOD

The beach bar opens the earliest and you can get drinks there right away. The pool has two bars, one which is a burger/hot dog/panini place and one at the Happy Chicken. By the Happy Chicken, waiters come around to bring you drinks, but you’ll need to walk up to the other bar. We didn’t try the burgers and hot dogs, but the paninis were yummy (ham, cheese, lettuce, tomato). The Happy Chicken was amazing, and we loved it! It’s rotisserie style or various types of fried, breaded chicken. You can also get salads and fries. Right by the pool/beach there’s also the sushi bar. I’ve always been weary of sushi in resorts, but this was some of the most amazing sushi I’ve ever had, and I’m a sushi fanatic. The salmon sashimi just melts in your mouth – to die for. And Mauro from the sushi bar is a really great guy. He took wonderful care of us. You can get the same sushi made for you on the spot at the Coba buffet during dinner time. The buffet was great, by the way. At breakfast, you can get eggs cooked up any style you want. Marta(Martha?) was at the egg station most days, and she was so sweet – always greeting us with smiles. We loved her! There’s also deli meats, cheeses, sausage, bacon, fresh veggies, fresh fruit, yogurt, granola, oatmeal, fresh bread, pastries, etc. No complaints. At dinner, Luis will greet you and show you to a table, and he is just adorable – always very happy and so nice. At Coba there’s fresh fish, pork, chicken, and beef that will be cooked for you on the spot, and there’s plenty of food that is already prepared as well. Again, lots of veggies, salad ingredients, potatoes, nachos, fresh pasta, lasagna, sushi (like I mentioned), meats, nachos, various quesadilla/tortilla items, and more. Dinner was always a feast. We did check out the Mexican and Italian restaurants. They were delicious. We had smoked salmon, salad and veal with potatoes at the Mexican place – gourmet style (i.e. small) portions but amazing! Plus we got a nice romantic serenade with a song. At the Italian place, we had the asparagus app and asparagus pasta – huge entrée portions and also quite tasty. About the drinks in general – we found the wine and beer to be totally fine. Not sure why people are complaining so much. The straight alcohol was not the best quality and hard to take in shots, but in a mixed drink there were no complaints at all. I was living off beer, mojitos and vodka-soda-limes most of the time. At any one of the bars/restaurants, you can get crazy delicious concoctions that the bartenders will create for you, and special mixed shots that will taste like candy and knock you out! Haha! Not sure what they had in them, but we just said to keep ‘em coming!

ENTERTAINMENT

The Kinky bar has a cool set up and nice look, but it was empty when we went. That said, we only showed up around midnight and it was apparently the first night it was open after some renovations. Anyway, that was a bit disappointing, but I completely believe that what makes a bar fun is the crowd and not the establishment. I tried to get people dancing but in the end there were only 4 of us on the dance floor. Everyone sat around at the tables instead. One night there was a burlesque show at the Kinky bar, and that night it was packed. The show was sexy, hilarious and SOOO much fun!! The other show we saw was the fire show on the beach. It was very cool, with dancers and drums, but it was chilly and windy that night so we left after about 10/15 minutes. There were a couple shows we missed – aquatic show in the pool, Oriental dancers, body-painted acrobatics. It would have been nice to see them, but to be honest, we had other priorities anyway. There’s a bar upstairs where there are live music performances every couple of nights. We had some nice times up there, and grabbed some drinks on a few occasions. That bar is open quite late. Like I mentioned at the beginning, this resort is quite close to downtown Cancun, so we ended up going out there one night. We went to Mandala which was a typical rowdy, Cancun, booze-fest and dance party. I had a great time!

Overall, the stay was fabulous. We absolutely loved this resort, and will definitely be coming back. It’s a nice mix of fun and rest/relaxation, everything is very modern, classy and well kept, and the staff were so nice, taking the time to make sure we were comfortable. I think it’s important to go into these trips with realistic expectations. I’ve stayed at some very nice resorts before, 4 and 5 star, and this one was my favourite by far. I had a wonderful time and a wonderful vacation. Thanks Oasis Sens!

And let me just say… I think it’s important to note that yes – tipping gets you better service. Duh! Isn’t that the case everywhere with everything? It’s only a buck or two each time, but it doesn’t add up to much, it will make your stay more pleasant, and the staff works very hard, completely warranting a tip for their service. We tipped everyone frequently (housekeeping, minibar, waiters, bartenders, front desk, bellboys, cooks) and only spent about $100 on tips in total over the whole week long trip. In the grand scheme of things, well worth it for us and the hotel staff certainly deserved their tips.

Room Tip: high floor rooms are nice. we were in 827, which was lovely because it was at the end of the hall, s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank MM M
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2013

So my review goes back from last february 2012. My best friend and I went for a full week and absolutely enjoyed everything about it. Some people love to complain but from travelling experience, I understand that I only could make my vacation enjoyable. So stop looking at the quality of the wall and chair and enjoy the beautiful view you have in front of you for only a week.
Overall the staff, food, pool, beach, rooms are amazing. Nothing to complain about. I did notice few people posting that the staff has bad service.. wrong and absolutely wrong.. if your going to complain about everything around you in a disrespectful way, do NOT expect people to treat you super nicely.. it's logical no ? just always put yourself in people's shoes and everything will be alright.
I will be revisiting this hotel on April 5th 2013 with my boyfriend and I am really exited and hoping he will enjoy it as much as I did. I really want to make it perfect for him, since it's his first trip down south.
The only downfall was while booking this hotel, there was no ocean view room available I am hoping that we could get that request with a balcony since it would make him beyond happy an it wont be too expensive.

Sooo just remember only you can make it fun !

Room Tip: I had a room with ocean view and a balcony.. it was perfect hopefully I get the same again !!!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank amber_vanilla
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Spent 7 days at the Oasis Sens and I don't know which hotel these happy customers were staying at, but it wasn't the same one that I was in.
First night we had a very intense domestic brawl adjacent to our room. Phoned security, an older maintenance man was sent up. Knocked on our door and told us the "girl was fine".
As soon as he left they started up again, even louder and scarier than before.
My son went down to the lobby and asked to be moved. The told him they had to get approval from the hotel supervisor. So at 11:30p.m. I had to get dressed and go to the front desk to TELL THEM WE WERE GETTING A NEW ROOM! This was going to be the 3rd room since the original room was not what we were promised. In fact there was no such room as what we were promised. So we moved to the other side of the resort ourselves.
We were told the next day that the couple was just playing. I sure wouldn’t have wanted to have been housekeeping , cleaning the broken glass and all.
Our new room had a fridge that did not work, it was an ongoing battle to get it fixed, never happened, so if you like warm water and beverages the Oasis is the resort to book.
From Wednesday to Friday night our room was never cleaned. It was only after I went down to the front desk ranting and raving that we had our room cleaned.
So if you like clean towels, a fridge that works, and yes even toilet paper, the Oasis is not for you!
I’m not even going to talk about poor service in the restaurants. If you want to see your server again, you better tip.
The one bright spot of the resort is the spa, the girls are wonderful and very professional.
Make sure you ask for your 20% discount , because they won’t offer it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family