“our true review of sens del mar”
Review of Grand Oasis Sens

Grand Oasis Sens
Ranked #79 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Toronto, Canada
“our true review of sens del mar”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

My husband and myself arrived on the 17 of Febuary to the Sens Del Mar.
we arrived late and the staff had our room ready.
We were impressed with the room because we loved the lighting above the bed that was very different .Also the beds in this hotel were the best we have ever had, they were large and pillow tops mattresses so it was an amazing sleep.I have a bad back and this bed was truly very comfortable and soft.To hear other people complain of the beds is simply not true the beds were fantastic.

The maid replenished our towels everyday we got extra face cloths and also new shampoo, conditioner and lotion every day.
there is also kleenex in the room, and we received a bottle of champagne and tequila on the house in the room when we arrived.

Room Service

we liked the room service the menu is limited but it is free service that usually other hotels charge for.
there is something for everyone, took a lil long to get it, but on the whole very nice .

the beach was awesome gorgeous blue beautiful sand and the pools were terrific.
Not dirty like others say but very clean.refreshing as well.

The large buffet was terrible The service there was almost non existant.We on almost every occassion got no attention at all .You would have to search for someone, and call them.Never did they give you water, offer drinks, coffee, or anything.I was growing very tired of this and spoke to a lady named Dulce near the end of our trip.
After that she personally would greet us, as we arrived at the buffet, and get us whatever we wanted,
She was amazing to us .
The other staff there in this buffet spent more time cleaning than paying attention to the clients.

I was not impressed nor my husband with the food selection here.

we would rate this hotel as a 3 and a half to four and thats pushing it, for the food selection.

not enough meat selections.
rarely beets or onions at the salad bar, no pasta at this restaurant on a regular basis we saw it one time,
the desserts here are low budget and not enough variety. Reminded us of the cuban desserts.
Very cheap and economical desserts.
not what we are used too.
There was no jello, ice cream is not mentioned and they do have it
chessecake ,souffles creme brule and kind of pie shaped dessets with whip cream are non existant. very cheap desserts and I am a dessert lover.
all the desserts tasted the same.I myself was very dissapointed in the dessert selection.

the fruit is good and plenty of it
apples, pears, bananas you name it they have nice fruit.

Not enough roast beef, no roast chicken at the buffet, no ham ,no turkey, .we saw roast beef one night.
not enough sea food. Also being canadian we love mashed potatoes.
there was hardly ever mashed potatoes we saw that once while we were there.
We found the food to be on the cold side most of the time and the rice was hard many times not cooked fully.sure there was always something to eat but not enough good selections and alot of carribean stuff.
never enough cooked vegetables mostly carrots and zuccini.and brocolli but very hard.

food is very important on a resort and I myself was not satisfied with the food I would rate the food a three star.

We heard later there were a few shows but we never saw any of them, and thought there was none because they were never advertised, We saw no board telling of the activities.
We did not see any animation team at any time.
Smoking was permitted on this resort, and i liked that, but it was hard to find an ashtray

The service at any of the bars was very slow and took long to get a drink.

we never saw vendors on the resort ever,
Usually the hotel hosts vendors in the resort at least one night so you can purchase souvenirs or shop a lil i really missed that because we could not purchase any souvenirs.

The italian restaurant

we were happy with the italian restaurant.
The captain there was very accomodating.
We had steak and it was very delicious.
One word of advice if you want a tender steak order med or else its cooked too much and hard.
med is perfect.
the portions of the accompaning veggies is a little small but if you asked you could get more im sure.
The deserts are a lil better occassionally but still not up to a five star rating.tira misu is favorable but not available that much.
the captain at the italian went out of his way to make our dinners there good.
total attention and brought everything we asked for .
this gentleman was very kind and attentive to us during our whole stay.
the salad bar at the italian was nice and even had ceasar salad.
still i missed the delicious desserts at other 5 star resorts.

The Mexican restaurant and lunch buffet

not enough can be said about the captain of this buffet restaurant
Juan Carlos the captain at this buffet, and his staff, did everything in there power to give us exceptional service and attention.
one evening we even had a special dinner made just for us, and served by the captain himself.
He was a wonderful host, and his staff were the best from all restaurants at this resort.
the buffet itself was ok not the best in my opinion, but the service made up for the lack of a variety of food.
alot of times it was the same choices and not enough selection of meat.

we did receive special desserts that were not at the buffet but were good.
we were treated with the best service in this buffet and i know it was the captain who made this possible.

the breakfast buffet was the best meal of the day at the other buffet.

to be truly honest we missed alot of things at this resort, when your an avid travellor and have experienced different resorts you can judge pretty well.

if they changed the lineup of food and desserts and added regular entertainment we would definetly come back.

all in all we did have a good time even tho we missed alot of things

please visit the italian and mexican the service there was impeccable

Castillo and Charlene Hernandez

also no machines for juice, coffee and pop had to wait to be served here and mostly never got the attention.

Room Tip: we had an ocean view and it was lovely.but they do have jaccuzi sweets
4 Thank vintagecastillo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,082)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Our group of 6 adults stayed for a week in Feb 2012 at Sens Del Mar. Overall this is a fantastic resort for the price we paid. We all booked the lowest level rooms and had no complaints. The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable enough.

Restaurants - They need a couple more a la carte restaurants. There are 4 options for dinner. 2 are buffet style, one Italian sit down restaurant and one "fine dining" which required reservations. We ate at the Italian restaurant 3 different nights because it was the best option and had good food. Reservations are difficult to get into their fine dining depending on their occupancy and how many nights you are staying at the resort. See the concierge (Mila and Diana) right after you check in. They will give you a run around and aren't very professional but any staff that don't that doesn't get tips at this resort don't seem to work to hard or treat their guests in a five star manner.

Staff - the bartenders, servers, room service employees are all wonderful (because they are in situations where tips can be accepted). The front desk and concierge(as stated above) are not very helpful. The other couple in our group had some issues with their room which didn't get resolved until the day we checked out. Every other request we had to the front desk staff and concierge, we received an answer, "check back in an hour". This is not how a "five star" hotel works. They should just say yes and handle the situation without having us come back in an hour.

Beach/Lobby - GORGEOUS. Fantastic beach with great bar service and the lobby had 3 different bars serving excellent drinks and bartenders - Including Espresso at the main bar. Great music from in the piano bar and plenty of seating throughout the resort

We would definitely stay there again but due to the lack of dinning options, we wouldn't stay longer than 4-5 nights. We had and issue that needed to be escalated to management and once we tracked down Pedro the manager of guest services, everything was taken care of. He was very helpful and very professional. I think with a little more training and experience the rest the negative employees will figure out how to handle situations and treat their guests in a 5 star manner.

Room Tip: If you are going to change your room, ASK TO SEE IT FIRST, then make your decision.
3 Thank knobtab98797
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We read previous reviews that this place had been "renovated" so gave it a try. After staying at a number of various properties in Mexico and here, this is a solid 3 star property. If you are looking for a properly rated 5 star, I suggest Moon Palace or the Grand Bahia Principe on the Mayan Riviera side.

Here is the breakdown:

Room: We had a VIP room facing the pool and beach area which includes the use of a soaker pool and a deck connected to our room. The soaker pool had a ring of dirt around it (similar to an unclean bathtub) with plant matter, sand and about a dozen dead bugs floating in it. As great as it was having that pool the debris in and around the tub did not make it worth going into. The door that accessed the deck was missing some kind of padding as the wind blowing up against it caused it to keep hitting the frame, thus giving us a constant banging noise through the evening when we were trying to sleep. The shower had constant water pressure issues going from a weak dribble to a medium blast with temperature ranging from what was initially set to an almost scalding temperature. The shower was not draining properly, so we called to have someone come and "fix" it. Well, the fix was done by removing the stopper and not cleaning the drain! Thank goodness we weren't into a bath! The view was great, as we were on the 8th floor and had a great view of the pool and the beach.

For those of you that are "wired" also take into the consideration that wifi is $20 a day.

The side that does not face the ocean, is something that you also should be aware of. The hotels are quite tightly located in Cancun and should you choose the side not facing the ocean, you could be facing a resort that plays music/dj from about 11AM to about 4PM.

Hotel Personnel: I have to break this into 2 categories. 1) The staff that work at cleaning the rooms and doing maintenance need some work. When we called about the drain we had to call 3X and were told that they were coming in "10 minutes". It never did come the night we called until we went downstairs the next day to get our tub "fixed". If you cannot fix it or have someone come immediately, that's fine, just tell us the truth rather than telling us someone is coming. The rooms were cleaned, but had the odd towel missing when it was done. We also asked staff for a cushions for the wooden chairs on the deck and were constantly told "yes", but got to the point where we just took them off the chairs from downstairs. Another thing was that our friend had the bellhop take their bag to the room. After an hour, it still had not arrived! When you get to these places you want to get to what you want to do right away! 2) The restaurant staff were always friendly in terms of helping you with drinks dinner or whatever it is that you may need. I found that Julio and his colleague Enrique to be very entertaining and pleasant. They made sure that your drinks were full and we had a laugh when they made guacamole for us.

Food/Restaurants: I am someone who enjoys a good meal and was baffled by the accolades that this place received for their "amazing and delicious" food once I got here. At other resorts, we have seen the buffet selection (breakfast lunch and dinner) to be about 3X-4X bigger than what we have seen here at Sens Del Mar. The breakfast is always in the Grand Coba lounge with very standard north american fare. If you were the 2nd+ group to be seated at a table (at all buffets at all times) it is quite common to find the food stains from the people that had previously sat at your table. Dessert was pretty much the same across all the buffets with oddly, no ice cream or churros available.

Sarape, the gourmet buffet is not gourmet, it was primarily Mexican food. This place was good and the best place to eat dinner on the resort.

The Grand Coba which serves as the international buffet was a disaster in my mind. It had all kinds of random dishes that didn't make sense. I didn't understand why they had salsa and guacamole but no chips to go with it. The service staff were very accommodating and offered to get some if you wanted them.

Dos Lunas: This is the Italian restaurant and was fair. The buffet inside offered a selection of some anti-pasta of grilled peppers mushrooms and some salads as well as some breads and pasta. My wife ordered the pizza and found that it had no sauce, the crust was similar to drywall and the ham very salty. My Osso Bucco was good with the meat falling off the bone quite easily, but the rice too mushy. I will have to agree with a past reviewer who noted that the house wine was terrible as it was on the verge of becoming vinegar.

Sushi bar: If you have previously eaten sushi and enjoy it, DO NOT GO HERE. God bless these guys for trying but it is just plain awful. The sushi was all warm with the sashimi being very thinly sliced.

Benazuza: This was a tapas-style restaurant (booking required) offering some very interesting dishes. The service here is great as well. The breakfast wasn't anything interesting as they offered some items from upstairs (including the bread posing as a croissant). The dinner was more interesting with a higher variety of different items numbering in about 12 or so small dishes all very interesting to eat. If you wanted a different wine an extra charge was to be included. Why am I being charged at an all-inclusive?

The bars/restaurants outside: The poolside and beach side food were fine. The rotisserie chicken was excellent and the burgers and fries good as well. Each restaurant had something different, so you will have to walk around if you wanted to get a burger, panini sandwich or the chicken. Apparently, chicken wings were also available, but you had to ask for those to be made.

Lobby bar: How does the lobby bar not have a blender to make blended drinks?

The beach: This is where most of the time was spent. V-Ball is played around 11AM or so until the people get tired. There were some big groups this week but it was good to see that people took their turn on the court. They do rake the sand but you could still find the odd cigarette butt sticking out. We even found some condoms on the outdoor beds in the morning. The layout includes about 8 tiki huts with about 8-10 beds with posts on it (with no shade). We went during a busy week with all the tiki hut taken by about 6:30 am.

The water was beautiful, with many a tide to keep many a swimmer (or those who just like to float) busy!

The Pool: The pool is fine, having a swim up bar in the middle portion of it. I found it strange that the wooden chairs surrounding the upper part of the pool did not have any cushions whatsoever. How can this be a 4-5 star resort when people are essentially lying on adjustable park benches?

NIghtlife: The bar areas seemed full, but this is one area that I cannot comment on as I was not into this part of the vacation. I am an early riser and wanted my spot on the beach!

As for the car rentals, this is something that I wholeheartedly stayed away from. There are buses come all the time and are really cheap to use (70 cents CDN). My friends who we met for dinner are use to getting a shakedown from the cops and pay out 200 pesos to get them off their back.

If you go in with the expectation that this is a 3 star resort you will be fine and enjoy yourself. Anything higher and you will be disappointed.

Room Tip: Get a poolside room, it is worth it.
8 Thank FromUpHere
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I've been in this hotel 4 times, I definitely recommend it! I'm having a wonderful time here with me best friends! The food it's amazing, you have like 5 restaurants in which you can choose, all of them are incredibly good and tasty! The beach, pools and also the people who works here are very nice and kind! I just love this place! You can rent a small car if you want to go out of the hotel, but I prefer staying here enjoying the awesome service that the hotel offers me! You should visit this hotel, it's an experience you'll never forget!

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank Cacao22
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We just returned from a 7 day stay at Sens and could not be happier with our stay. I was incredibly sad to return! We went during reading week and expected a younger crowd, but this was not the case. We felt the whole space to be classy and accomodating, with people going out of their way to make sure you are taken care of. Some advice that we would lend out includes: make reservation for the restaurant EARLY, it is a wonderful experience that really sets this place apart! The food left quite impression at this restaurant (Benazuza) ! It books up quite quickly, we would recommend doing this when you check in. Also, know that your rep makes a huge cut off of any excursions booked with them. We were able to secure a better deal with the tour company situated beside the beach towel booth. (Difference of $30 a person for some excursions!) This price can go even cheaper (for the same excursion) if you book outside of the hotel altogether, ie. the Isla Plaza (a short bus ride away)!. I think that your service depends on your outlook - although we did tip regularly, most people working in the hotel made a genuine effort to make sure that we were taken care of. We found the food to be awesome 9 times out of ten. Most of the buffets offer on the spot grilled goodies, ie the tacos at the mexican restaurant were to die for, the egg service at the breakfast buffet was really good, etc. We say 9 times out of ten because we had the BEST steak we have both ever had at their Italian spot. It was SO good we ran back the next day for more - but, the next time it was actually quite horrible! We talked to the manager who was incredibly apologetic, and told us that they would make it up to us (we went back for lunch and had some delicious salmon!) The club and the nightly performances are not promoted as much as they should be (we found them by exploring) and if they would be, it would be much more fun! We got a taste of Cancun night life on a trip to Coco Bongo's Sunday night. PLEASE do this (someone is usually standing at the lobby offering tickets for app $55-60, with a bus service there) - if you are looking for any kind of night life, this is how to do it. Go in with your guide - and he makes sure that you always have a drink in your hand (or two!) - it is really an out of this world experience!
As for the pools and the beach, both were great! there is plenty of space for everyone to lounge around, and although the hotel was at capacity it really did not feel like it! with so many options of where to go!
Other things that we did that we would recommend included a trip to Chichen Itza, a swim with the dolphins (Isla de las Mujeres) <- SO MUCH FUN!!!, Coco Bongos, Playa del Carmen (you have to find a way to get there yourself - we shared a cab with another couple, came out to 100 total for all of us, he waits for you and brings you back), El Mercado 28 (a market you should really hit for souvenirs!) and enjoyed the beaches and pools!

Know that we have never written a review before, but were both soooo satisfied that felt we needed to share with everyone! We would recommend it over and over again!

7 Thank AudrieRogue
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed 7 days starting 2/13/12 and we had a wonderful time!! We upgraded to the VIP...the only advantage was the room, all of the other things they describe do not exist. There is no VIP check-in or Concierge, no upgraded Mini Bar/Fridge. We did receive a bottle of Tequila as our "Welcome Gift" but only after I asked about it. When I inquired at the fron desk about the VIP things mentioned above they were clueless. We did get the WI-Fi included. All those things aside the room #730 was great!!! Plenty of room, everything worked!! Great view with the plunge pool...we spent a lot of time on our deck! We did not use the pools as we had our own but they looked great. The beach was wonderful, not crowded and you could always find chairs even at the pools. There was 1 gentleman that ran his butt off serving drinks to the beach goers...he was amazing remembering where everyone was and what they ordered!!! The food...Sorry I do not remember the names of each restaurant.
The Gourmet Buffet was not very gourmet and was not very good, we ate there once on our first day. The breakfast/dinner buffet was terrific, great variety, great taste, great service! The Itialian one open for lunch and dinner was also very good with great service. The ones that are open around the pool/beach area for lunch...
1 had hot dogs and nachos...good hot dog
1 had hamburgers, chicken wings, fish, nachos...no menu so if you didn't know about the wings and fish you didn;t know to ask.
1 by the beach served Rotisserie chicken...very good!!
We never did eat at the Reservations only restaurant as we were not able to get reservations which seemed strange as the resort was not anywhere near full.
The drinks...like every other all-inclusive they do not make a strong drink, but all you have to do is ask for extra alcohol and they will provide, good variety of alcohol types and brands. Again, if they would have had a drink menu it would have made ordering much easier. The bartenders all were very nice and provided great service. The 3 piece band in the Sunset bar was extremely loud, they really need to dial back the volume. The only real issue we had and saw that some other people had was all of the stairs...there are 3 flights going down to the breakfast/dinner buffet and lots of stairs getting down to the beach.

We never did see any type of entertainment staff like you do at other resorts in Cancun, not that it was an issue for us.

Some suggestions for the resort...
**If your going to advertise a VIP service then you must deliver and your staff must all know what it is and what is included.
**Menus at the bar and the smaller food locations.
**Instructions on how to use the phone in the room
**A daily newsletter letting your guests know what is happening that day.

Overall we had a great experience and we will return!!!

6 Thank Scott B
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Stayed here the week of Feb 18th The biggest issue that the Sens have is their non attention to detail. This begins with the fact they have not bothered to change the Main sign to the new name, it still reads "Oasis Sens" which was confusing for our airport driver and made for an annoying experience as he had to call other drivers to find out where the heck Sens Del Mar is. Our bad experience continued when we checked in the see our supposed ocean view room only to find out that it was a corner room and we needed the kind of necks that the exorcist girl had to actually see the ocean. We asked for a different room and was happy that they complied however our joy was short lived when we walked into the room only to find that it was the exact same kind of view from the other side of the building. Nevertheless, we decided to not make a fuss of it since we were planning on spending most of our time on the beach and pool anyway.

BEST PART: The service, the staff, the beaches, and the food are all great. Honestly speaking I would have really liked to give this place a 4 star but too many things are lacking in terms of detail.

WORST PART: The towel policy is horrible, they give you these cards that you trade in for towels and if you lose the cards they charge you $35 per card. Here lies the problem, if someone either a guest or a member of the staff take your towel while you are trying to enjoy your vacation then you have to pay $35 bucks. This happened to us, we wanted to leave our towels by the pool and take pictures at the beach. When we returned after 30 mins our towels where gone and someone told us that a hotel employee took them. When we told the front desk what happened they told us that they would investigate the issue. 3 hrs later same story, the investigation is in the process. It was on the next day when we realized how absurd all this was and spoke to a manager that after several minutes of denying us agreed to replace our cards after we write down a statement of what occurred. All this for a freaking towel. How cheap and petty.

They may be doing this deter people from reserving beach beds etc for long periods of time but a policy like this does more damage than good. Management really needs to fix this flawed policy. Nobody wants to spend their vacation worried and stressed about yellow towels that cost 3 pesos.

ROOMS: need a serious upgrade, the lighting over the bed is plane tacky. The mattresses are not very comfortable and the rooms are kinda small.

FOOD: Very good, the buffet was good every morning, and every night, for lunch we usually did the Italian restaurant and that too was very good except for the pizza

SERVICE: Excellent, everyone is extra nice and cheerful especially the concierge ladies, the bellman's and the waiters and waitress's

ENTERTAINMENT: Its a shame that more people don't watch their shows because the dancers are absolutely amazing, they are super fit and very entertaining.

BEACH: Really nice, they have nice beds and plenty of beach benches. The towel policy is horrendous and management needs to seriously consider this cheap policy.

ADDITIONAL: The smart cars are a great idea and the guys that rent them out are great and gave us good tips on where to go. They only cost $30 bucks per 24hrs but they will hold $1200 on your card until you return. Its a great deal and the cars are super fun.

Besides that the age range is really widespread, you see a lot of young couples but you also see folks in their 30s 40s even 60+

If the management seriously considers paying a little more attention to detail they would take this place really far.

Room Tip: Get out real early if you want a beach bed
5 Thank dgirma1980