“great place”
Review of Maya Caribe Hotel

Maya Caribe Hotel
Ranked #157 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed August 26, 2008

After reading reviews on this hotel I was really scared to book it, but at the deal me and my family got I decided that I'd see if for myself. Let me tell you I wasn't disappointed in this hotel at all. The food wasn't all that great, the drinks were tho. The service was wonderful everyone was really nice and helpful. One thing if possible get a room with an ocean view they are cleaner than the ones with the garden view. The 3 pools were nice and the 2 at Dos Playas were nice too. The beach was beautiful!! The front desk people were great and always looked to help us. We did the day trip to Chicten Itza, 1/2 the price, 1/2 the time. It was amazing, overall this hotel is what we paid for. No real complaints at all. We have pictures and everything else, if you could like to see them and no more please feel free to email me! Stay here it was a great time :) Hope this helps, tons more pics if you email me

Sheena

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Sheena2919

Reviewed August 12, 2008

We arrived at Maya Caribe with Um's and R's after reading the reviews
We Checked in No prob's,We were Asked if we wanted a sea /Pool/Garden Room. We choose Sea.
We arrived to our room it was spaicous clean* A1 *View over looking the pool/Ocean View. well worth the price we paid "£254-00 All inclusive through A1 travel
Great.... .
Rooms need a good paint , Sealent /groat needed in the bathroom area's (They paint on top of everthing...)
Warning Lots of teenage holiday travellers use the rooms(**We **had to warn them about they behaviour) It stopped..
BAR at the Top is the best ,tip them and they will look after you.BOTTOM BAR bar drinks are watered down...
Breakfast is good. Lunch is Open buffet/burgers(watch for food not used in the day is used at night)
Food is Basic , If your there for two weeks eat out/about
Yo must try ther chinese ,you have to book in advance, they dont advertise it !!!Diving book by the Pool (they are A1)
Synotes are wicked
Trips do your self- like Xcaret ,Tulum etc
Take the Ferry your self
Car is really cheap, Roads are really good..
The shows and bars are Great Bewarned ,Once your in the Club YOU WILL HAVE TO TIP EVERTIME YOU WANT A DRINK!!
TIP-tell them you will tip them at the end of the night...
Was a great Hol for 2 weeks £700-00 ,
The Bar staff and the entertanment guy was great
Book through A1 Travel/Chadwick not the Best But the price was wicked Would choose another Hotel next time..
Ruth

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank Ruth H
Reviewed July 21, 2008

The hotel has good potential, situated on a calm beach, it has a really great view over the Mexican gulf. The pool area is kept clean and reaches its highest potential late at night when you can relax under the stars. The garden is well kept and very beautiful. We would recommend that you make sure you get a room in the mainbuilding though, just as people have written before, we stayed on the second floor and had just a minor issue with insects. The aircondition must be taken care of, it is so loud I can´t imagine how I ever got used to it..and it also suffered technical problems. The standard in the bathrooms could easily be raised if they put a shower head, clean showercurtains and offers a toilet that doesnt break down all the time. The bed is as hard as it can possibly get, and could easily be made softer with a matress. The room was cleaned everyday, no complains. The hotelarea felt safe, even late at night on the beach. Dont pay all inclusive because you will be eating out anyway. The food is just as people have written before, awful, and with insects. The worst of all, the staff in the restaurant is so rude you shouldnt bother even speaking to them. Also here, the hotel could earn a lot of more respect if they take care of the restaurant part. The staff at the hotel is somewhat helpful but speaks very limited english. I would actually not stay here again...not if I wasnt sure they had fixed a lot of things...The hotel is also situated a bit off..Having a holiday in Cancun is all about wich hotel you chose..its nothing wrong with that , the city was build up as a touristarea. What kind of hotel you chose sets its mark on how your trip will be. If I were to go again, I would have saved more money and got myself into a more expensive hotel, just a little bit more...It would be worth it...actually Im not the kind of person that normaly would say a thing like that but in Cancun...thats the way it is...

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed June 23, 2008

This hotel was a nightmare! Outside our room lived two peacocks that made loud noises all night long. Inside our hotel room lived several other creatures including lizards and various insects. The air conditioner was extremely loud and woke me up every time it came on. The food was absolutely disgusting. We ate out most of the time even though we paid for the "all inclusive" meals. The food was served outside and mosquitos and other insects were always there for the meal as well. We were so glad to get home!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank isisdancer
Reviewed May 27, 2008

*Wow I remember this trip like yesterday! I went to Cancun last year in September. I signed up for the Maya Caribe and when I pulled up I knew the driver had made a mistake. It was like pulling up at an inn. Right to the door, and there was the lobby. ;)

*Service was great ,and I had no problem with the Hotel culture but the showers are horrible. Standing only, please update.

*Did I tell you one of the 2 restaurants were closed so we all had to walk to 1 restaurant on grounds.

*I finally went to my all inclusive lunch. Wow anymore amenities like this and I would have felt like I was a lottery winner. I met some people from cancun,london, canada,fiji,colorado, and I could not figure out why some people were saying dos playas.

*Oh we have a more contemporary hotel on grounds? Yes by then I now know why some people keep saying Dos Playas,lol...

*Yes we were misfits of not getting in another hotel but in the end we became the party animals and had soo much fun we started thinking its not soo bad after all.

**Dennise one our tour guides was wonderful and put up with our drunkedness. We still keep in touch and she will be hanging with us again.

**Some of our friends got harassed by security but we straightened that out and we are all planning on meeting this year again..

AS A GROUP we are known as DOS PLAYAS..... BABY!
PS. I went by MYSELF to Maya Caribe as it was my 1st time traveling alone. I am upscaling for sure.

I will say Cancun is beautiful, the sun is amazing and the people are wonderful,helpful and very very nice . I bought a Time Share so it does not allways depend on where u stay, its how you play and Cancun has all night clubs, the strip is party city but do not stray please!

Have fun and be safe.

1  Thank StephMcL
Reviewed May 18, 2008

This hotel is an old school style hotel, so if your a snobby traveler who believes that a trip is all about being papmered at your hotel, this place is not for you. It is all inclusive and the food was above average, while the drinks were made strong. Day to day the breakfast buffet was pretty much the same, but the lunch and dinner had variety. The view from our hotel room was AMAZING. The private beach was great because it was never crowded. Also there is a travel agent right at the hotel so everyday we were off doing something different. Parasailing, Mayan ruins, speed boats, swimming with dolphins, etc..

The Maya caribe shared property with Dos Playas. So you are able to use both hotel facilities, pools, restaurants etc..

Folks remember.. Hurricane Dean came through there a couple years ago so some of the other reviews you read are from when Mexico was tring to rebuild. We had no problems that some of the other reviews talked about. Being on a vaction is not about staying at your hotel the whole time.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank shades4290
Reviewed May 4, 2008

Myself, my partner and our 18month old son stayed at the Maya Caribe hotel in April this year.

After reading some of the reviews I was a little aprehensive but I found the hotel to be nothing like the negative reviews left.

We stayed in the main building with a view over the garden. Tthe rooms were clean and tidy with 2 double beds and a full door on the bathroom. The maids changed all of our bedding and towels everyday, swept the floor and sprayed nice smelling freshener in the room. You do need to leave the sign on your door requesting your room to be cleaned.

The area outside of the rooms around the pool is a little tired and could do with a lick of paint and some new decking but it was by no means dirty.

There are 5 pools, 2 restaurants and a snack bar on site. We mainly used the Dos Playas restaurant for food and found the meals to be excellent. There was always lots of choice and the fish in batter was delicious. I can understand how it may get a little repetative after2 weeks but we were happy. They even provided us with milk for the baby as and when we asked. The restaurant opened promptly at the times it was supposed too and we never waited more than 5 minutes for a table.

The beach is a little litered but as all the beaches in Cancun are public its not really the responsibility of the hotel.

The staff were polite and friendly with much better English than my Spanish. They offer a free safe behind reception and free airconditioning in the rooms.

Overall I was very pleased with our experience and have recommended the Maya Caribe to my family. You do get what you pay for and if you are able to look past the faded paint and dodgy decking then you will have a great holiday.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family