New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Very satisfied. Gorgeous hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Krystal Grand Punta Cancun

Krystal Grand Punta Cancun
Ranked #54 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
“Very satisfied. Gorgeous hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2014

We had booked our trip to Cancun 6 months in advance. We were set up to stay at a different hotel in the hotel zone. We asked the website that we booked through to change our dates, they said they would, but a few days before, the other hotel told me the dates were never changed and I can't re-book for free, I would need to pay for the different nights. Two days before our trip, we booked Krystal Grand. We were so happy with our decision. The staff is very nice and friendly, they all knew my name. The view was fantastic. the room was great for the price we payed. The pools are nice, the beach is nice. Was not too fond of the spa, no males work there, and the women who work there need to learn how to do their jobs better. At times you could hear the noise from the lobby in the room or the noise from a party on the beach in the room, but it didn't really bother us, because we were exhausted after a long day. It is the last hotel before the hotel zone curves, so the hotel seems like it's in a secluded area, yet is convenient to everything, which was great. We were very satisfied with the hotel. I would recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: Choose ocean view facing the hotel zone.
1 Thank Ariella G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014

I had a great time due to the Manager Karina's outstanding team! Neybi, Daniel and Braulio made this trip outstanding. Also Marcos who rents the jetski's was easy to deal with and fun to talk to. I will be back for sure next year.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Location
      Cleanliness
Dallas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

This place is brutal. No AC in the noisy, dirty, poorly organized noisy lobby. For the entire duration of my 6 day stay only 2 elevators worked for the entire property. The front desk had a consistent 30 minute wait with only 2 attendants present. The beach is a public beach so be prepared to share your vacation with 1/2 of Mexico. I would rather watch Michael Bay movies for a straight week than stay at this abomination ever again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank Evan B
Victor, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

Hotel met all my expectations. Good option for family vacation. Large and noise for couples on romantic trip. Very nice location, good service, clean accomodation. Excellent value/price ratio. Free wifi slight slow but has faster paid option available. Overall, it was a good choice for 2014 summer vacation.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

My husband and I visit Cancun every year and have now visited over 10 times. On most of our stays we have stayed at this property for all or part of the stay, however under its former management Hyatt. This was our first experience of the Krystal brand and will be our last. This is very sad as you will see from all my previous reveiews how much we have enjoyed our stays here and one thing you cannot change for this place is its perfect location in Cancun, where you are within walking distance of many things.

On arrival at the hotel we were not made to feel welcome and given no direction whatsoever. The lobby area was crowded and untidy. We made it to reception, where we were expecting a private check in as we had booked altitude, this did not happen. My card was swipped we were thrown two towel cards and told to come back two hours later. I appreciate that early check in is not always available, however no effort was made to see if our room could be prepared quickly, no water was offered or any information on the hotel. It was the least welcoming reception experience we have ever experienced, not even a smile. On returning to the desk 2 hours later, service was no better, no one seemed to know the procedures or anything about the hotel. We had to explain our booking to the receptionist who clearly didn't understand what a suite or an altitude booking were. We were then left to find our room alone. On getting to the room we realsied we had no wifi codes, so again had to return to reception, we were given two which were invalid before one which worked. At this point we mentioned to Benito the receptionist that we were unhappy on which we were told to "stop complaining and get on with it". This is the point I demanded to see a manager. In fairness the manager made himself available and listened to us and later sent a gift to our room. Wifi issues continued daily and we were constantly seeking a new code.

The next morning we were awoken by the construction works next door at 7am, at this point my husband and I were ready to check out and went to reception to do as such. Reception found a manager who offered a room change and made a promise that every aspect of our stay would be perfect from this point on. We were also introduced to the newly appointed club concierge, (I think this happened after my suggestion the day before) Manual Cuevas Sosa. Manuel helped us to move rooms and resettle and we were told that we were no longer to use the front desk and anything we needed Manuel would deal with.

UNfortunately problems continued through out the stay. Most bills we had from the bars had one or two mistakes on especially those from the lounge bar and we were charged for breakfast that we never had. The new room although better still had its issues; there was constant motor noise from somewhere, I presume related to the A/C on the roof. Despite setting the air con fairly low we could not get the room below 24 degrees C, which was never resolved in our 11 day stay. The toilet for some reason flushes itself through every 15 minutes and although they tell you this is daytime only, it happens all night as well. The construction noise was still audiable and we had barely any sleep throughout our stay, our longest night was 4 hours. On one morning we were awoken by noise at our window at 8.30am which turned out to be window cleaners for which a warning would be nice. There was also an evening we switched on a lamp which started sparking at us. The room is cleaned daily and fairly promptly however this property offers no turndown and I didn't realise Kystal hotel brand toiletries counted as luxary, I was happy to have taken my clarins with me as it was impossible to tell the difference between the shampoo and shower gel. On another evenign we were awoken at 3am by music from the room below, again reception was unhelpful and wanted to come into our room to verify the noise, something I was not keen on at this time - a more sensible approach might have been for them to visit the room downstairs where they clearly would have heard the music outside the door and then been able to knock and ask the other guests to be quiet. To top this off the clearly highly trained receptionist phoned us back 30mins later to see if it had gone - a move I can only describe as pure idiocy.

Outside the room problems continued. We tried to pay a bill one day at the pool bar, to which we were told we had no credit???? On spending an hour investigating this it was discovered that our card swipe at check in had not been applied to our account, I do not know how this took 7 days to notice, but certainly made me question the integrity of the security surrounding my personal details.

The pool also died most of our white based clothes green and my hair pink. The manager said there was no problem with the water, there clearly was as even the activity staffs hats are green. Either that or my Ralph Lauren swimwear is made of subquality materials.

On one evening of our stay, there was an influx of Krystal managers who came to stay at the property, they were given the best rooms and the service level changed, perhaps this is what is wrong with this property, the management view themselves with more importance than the guests. They blocked corridoors and lowered the tone with their noise. My husband and I also saw one pick up a lady outside which looked suspicious.

So.... there were a couple of good points hence the one star/circle! 1) the location of this property 2) The activity staff at the pool are very welcoming and offer a fantastic water aerobics session daily, our favourite was led by Daniel. 3)Jose 403 and Damian at the pool bar and 4) Jose in the altitude lounge 5) Manuel the club concierge tried his best to make our stay good, he just unfortunately was not provided with the tools for the job, he is very good and personable and I advise him to leave Krystal and work for a better establishment where his level of service would be more suited.

As you can imagine our bill was compensated and we also spent one evening in the infinity suite a far more comfortable room, however a room that I doubt the clients of this hotel will ever book as there is not the service level to meet the room. We were also given a free day trip. We do appreciate this but we still overpaid for this stay as we were time poor rather than anything else and return home unrelaxed. If I was offered money to stay at this hotel I would turn it down.

Perhaps with time the hotel may resolve some of these issues, however it seems to not know who it is marketing itself too. During our stay, childrens playgrounds and a kids club were being installed, however this alongside a sushi bar seems confused. I haven't met many children who fancy going for Sushi after a day at the playground. Krystal simply do not understand what service is and do not understand that you don't want issues resolved you plain and simple do not want them. Cancun as an area is great fun, offering good nightlife, good eats and an extensive range of tours, however don't stay at a Krystal hotel or one operated by this company.

Room Tip: Do not book. Construction site next door and very noisy hotel. AC is next to useless and toilet fl...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
8 Thank Nadia M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014

Nice hotel with great amenities. Got wifi, water in my room daily, nice gym, and great pool activities like volley ball and water polo. I'm still shocked their wasn't a resort fee for all this great stuff.

Southborough, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2014

This hotel is a bit dated but the restaurant, grounds and location on the beach is premium. It has a very nice global breakfast with everything you would like and a kitchen to order if you want something specific. The best, however, was getting up earlier than most (night clubs are not my thing so i am awake and refreshed in the am) for a spectacular serene swim.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for ocean side view. Its worth the 20 to 40 bucks extra if you can spare it.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business