“Recent ownership change, still not 100%”

Krystal Grand Punta Cancun
Ranked #56 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

I come to Cancun often for work, I like to stay in different hotels just so I can have a change of scenery. The Krystal use to be the "Hyatt Regency," but a few months back changed ownership. The hotel is basically the same, the rooms are clean, the bathrooms are outdated. The showerheads are fixed and don't move, the water pressure is not great. I found the hotel to be short staffed especially and disorganized at the front desk.It took longer than normal to get checked in. Additionally, the safe did not work in my room, instead of fixing it, they offered to switch my room or have me put my valuables in the hotel's safe. I still can't figure out why they couldn't just replace the safe...makes no sense at all.

Despite being short staff staffed the staff was very nice.

• Stayed: June 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (3,674)

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Basic information:
Advantages:
Close to the club strip. (walkable distance if weather allows)
Beach access and free cabanas, both by the pool and on the beach front
Daily activities including beach volleyball, pool volleyball, water polo, bracelet making, horseshoes etc.
2 free bottles of water in the guest room per day
Water in the hotel is purified (I chose not to drink the tap water just in case)
24 hour room service
Mini bar available in the room *expect common hotel rates
Most if not all the employees I interacted with spoke English.

Disadvantages:
Booked online when it was a Hyatt property and prepaid for the reservation. When we checked out, our prepayment did not cover the room and taxes and we ended up paying extra out of pocket for the exchange rate difference. I still don't understand why I am responsible for the peso exchange rate if I prepaid in dollars. It's not my fault the exchange rate changed. I'll also mention that we did not book through a third party (i.e. hotwire.com), we paid directly through the former Hyatt hotel website.
Internet is a paid service.
It's not a Hyatt.
The misuse of the U.S. dollar sign $ was used everywhere to indicate peso so read carefully if it is a U.S.D.(U.S. Dollar) value or if it is actually the Mexican Peso.

taxi rates (posted by the hotel entrance) in pesos from the hotel to:
plaza la isla, kukulcan $120
Market 28, Downtown, Plaza Las Americas $170
Puerto Juarez $200
Wet and Wild $300
Aeropuerto/Airport $400
Playa del Carmen $800
Tulum $1400

Detailed information and experience:
I traveled with 1 other person from the airport and booked a private blue super shuttle taxi service from supershuttle.com. It was $30 for 2 passengers and then just tipped the driver. I would recommend doing this because it is not a communal van with multiple stops, and you get the opportunity to ask as many questions as you like. It was a trusted service and we felt safe riding with the driver. Our driver gave us lots of good recommendations for food and clubs. Be advised though, if you choose this transportation option for private shuttle, it will not necessarily be the blue super shuttle van you may be familiar with. The van we road in was white and only marked with a single taxi number.

we arrived at the hotel and was quite disappointed that it wasn't a Hyatt--defeated the purpose of having chosen Hyatt for Gold Passport Membership points. Even if the employees were formerly employed by a Hyatt, I just didn't get that same sense of service. The doorman and bell attendant were very nice, and had our bags up in a timely manner. The desk agents were very friendly, but I felt they couldn't explain everything well---maybe just a communication barrier.

The room was clean, tiled, and furniture was in good condition. The beds were comfortable and the balconies are wonderful. If you want an ocean view room prepare to be charged for the upgrade, I'm unsure of the upgrade cost. (if you ask nicely they may upgrade you complimentary) I think the ocean view rooms are from about XX13-XX20 where XX is the floor number. The rather annoying thing about the balcony is that there was a constant whistle sound from the wind coming through the door cracks. We ended up placing a towel on the door tracks to prevent the whistling noise. The rooms were very well sound proofed for my experience. We unfortunately had an extremely loud guest with us one night and I don't think there was a noise complaint made on us because we never got a call or agent at our door.... and he was really embarrassingly loud. There were only a few times that I heard other people in the hotel because of the atrium style construction.

Room service late at night has a minimum menu selection. Don't be mislead, the "margarita pizza" was simply cheese pizza. There was no basil nor tomatoes on it at all and for the crazy price of $175 was WAY OVER PRICED (roughly converted 14 U.S.D, for a 12" flat pizza with a precooked crust. The burger we ordered was also not tasty.

We had several meals ordered while we were at the pool. The Caribbean ceviche was pretty delicious and I would say maybe the best value on the menu. Fries were crazy expensive, and if you ordered a burger or sandwich, only a few fries are included. I think every meal we had at the hotel was about $20 USD per plate. Way more than I wanted to pay for quesadillaa etc. Gratuity was not included on the room service receipt, but showed up like a normal receipt with the tip line. Gratuity was not automatically added which is awesome. Last note about the food service. Ordered sandwiches at the deli, and one of the sandwich had a long hair in it. It was prepared to order and just disgusted me when there was a hair in it.

The bar staff was wonderful. Not sure if it is illegal or permitted, but I observed guest bringing their own adult drinks to the pool and enjoying them in the bar area.

The activities were really great. Check out the schedule by the pool entrance where you get pool towels. The schedule changes daily and is on an hour by hour basis. Activities instructors are really friendly and speak great english which made me feel really comfortable. They even kept the schedule despite all the rain we had this past weekend.

Just a last tip. If you take a tour/excursion type event, make sure you get off at the correct Krystal Grand. The original Krystal Grand is closer to the strip and your tour bus driver my not drop you off at the correct Krystal Grand property and you'll find yourself walking about 2 blocks to the correct hotel.

Room Tip: be nice to the desk agents, you might get a complimentary room upgrade.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
9  Thank UHcougarBdaygirl
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

The Hotel is nice. The location is OK and so is the staff. The issue with the room is the incredible bad rotting odor. I complained and it was masked with some fragrance spray, but a couple of hours later it was there again. The offer to change my room, but told me that it will smell the same. They mentioned something in the piping and the sea water that makes that smell. I have been in many hotels in the Caribbean and next to see water and never had that smell. I ended up leaving the sliding doors open all the time

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank RoadWarriorCaribbean
Reviewed May 30, 2014

First of all the name of this hotel was Hyatt Regency Cancun in Nov. 2013 where we visited Cancun. We stayed here for 8 days and this Hotel was in total a nice one. Breakfast was nice and good and the Lobby was also very clean and beautiful. I think it was a little bit complicated that you always need to sign the bill and wait for it, but that was not a big minus. Sometimes it was very hot inside on the upper Levels, but in your room it was really ok, so no Problem at all. The Restaurant we tried once and it was not the best, but still ok. The beach was not 100% well at the beginning of the Hotel but next to the water it was really nice and also the water was really great at this Point of Cancun. We booked that Hotel because of pricing against other Hotels and in total it was really ok to stay. Don't know whether I would like to stay again because I would like to see some other Hotels also :)
But I can confirm that you do no error to stay here. Sometimes the wind was very loud because the Window was not 100% dense.
The shower of our room could be cleaned a bit better, it had a Little bit more rust.
When I compare the price and performance, I come to 4 stars of our stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank xarix
Reviewed May 28, 2014

In my check-out, they have charged me with different exchange rates dolar X mexican pesos:
- For general expenses: USD 1,00 = $12,30 pesos (which is practiced in almost every place in the city)
- For my room: USD 1,00 = 13,25 pesos
And the only reason I found out it's because I though the final price for the room was much higher than I expected. So, I made the math and discovered it. It was not informed or explained to me in any time in advance.
When I asked the check-out recepcionist about it, she told me that this should had been informed to me when I checked-in, which didn't happened.
So, I asked her for a folder of the Hotel which could explain this rule, and she told "they didn't have for me at that moment".
I think this kind of practice must be clearly informed to the guest in advanced on the moment of reservation, to avoid this kind of very unpleasant surprise.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Olleanna
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The service was good however the safety deposit box did not work on arrival. It was fixed and broke down the next day again. The bedside lamp did not work. We were told we could get double credits and when I checked how many credits were left they doubled the points as they were not use to the new system. Hence I ran out of points and had to pay more money.
Nothing just worked. I would never stay at this hotel again even if they offered me comp air and room!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Wendy A
Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel back when it was still the hyatt regency... unfortunately for us the transistion to krystal grand hasnt gone perfectly smoothly. It looks like some other people had post experiences post hyatt but our rooms (three different rooms across 2 stays) were not very nice. While the lobby is really cool and got me excited, the room furniture is old, and in many cases broken. Our poor patio chairs were unusable and the phone in one room was broken. All three rooms tables looked like they were ready to fall apart.

At least some of the staff we talked to were not happy about the change to new management as they were losing benefits. Service was ok, but not great. I see a lot of reviews on location... If you want to party at Coco bongo I guess that's true, but I much preferred our stay at the Westin lagunamar, where we got married. The beach there is perfect, and doesn't have the ugly pile of cement blocks for a break water right next door. If youre into parties the strip is still just a brief ~$1 bus ride away

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple