“Great place to stay but limited beach access”

Krystal Grand Punta Cancun
Ranked #53 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We booked an oceanfront room and ended up getting one that faced the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral BeachResort across the street. Luckily since we were on a high floor, we could see Isla Mujeres from our room and the aqua colored water at the Fiesta Americana. So the view was not bad. And since we paid about half what the other hotels were charging I didnt mind the limited view. This hotel is not a party hotel. In fact most of the time I felt as though we had the entire place to ourselves. There is limited beach access and a mostly rocky beach. This added to the peace and quiet since we didnt have people using the beach in front of our hotel. Most days we lounged in the outdoor cabanas that have a full size bed while the waiters carted margaritas and guacamole out to us. The hotel is wired with an exterior sound system and they tastefully played smooth jazz most of the time. I work in a very fast paced nerve racking job so this was just what the doctor ordered for me. The hotel staff was also very pleasant and helpful. The hotel is also located near some decent shopping and we also went across the street to use the wave runners. the food is not bad at this hotel but I really recommend that you walk down the street a little to experience more authentic mexican food. The hotel food is also very pricey. All in all this hotel is a great value for its location and price.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gene2459
Write a ReviewReviews (3,544)

Reviewed April 15, 2014

What can I say, the staff was great from check in to check out. The food was fantastic. The hotel overall was well kept with the exception of some wear which is to be expected. I had an ocean front room and enjoyed my entire stay. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed at the Hyatt for 4 nights in March. We chose this hotel knowing the beach was one of the best in Cancun and thinking of Hyatt standards it would be a great match. Unfortunately as others have stated this hotel is not your typical Hyatt standards. We did book a club regency room to ensure better service, larger room size, and the club enhancements. Thankfully I did a lot of reviewing prior to arrival as when I checked in we were given a room on the 11th floor. I inquired about the rooms from the entry level floors and the club floors and was informed all rooms are the same. Not exactly so, especially from the website advertising. The room on the 11th floor was a basic room not the larger square footage as advertised. Also I recalled from the reviews and from booking it was noted the top 2 floors were club rooms. After being lied to and going to my room I went back to check in and asked to view a room on the 14th floor and low and behold the room was larger and didn't smell moldy. I showed my reservation form and explained that my expectation was to be given a club ocean view room, which was finally given to me.

As I am a very light sleeper I didn't experience other reviewers comments about the noise and AC units. All older hotel walls in Cancun are pretty thin so I was prepared for some extra noise. The beds are doubles not queens so get cosy and not the most comfortable. The elevators are hot and slow. The water in the hotel is not purified and you will note this when you turn on the sink tap and the shower just by the smell. The hotel provides a couple water bottle and if you are in the club you have free water bottles so use this for drinking and brushing your teeth. WiFi is not included which is odd as free WiFi has become the standard in many North American hotels. Mexico is different and I have found that many hotels charge for WiFi so plan to pay.

The double down credit promo is a great deal. Drink prices are quite expensive and the food prices are upper end, please note the promo doesn't cover your taxes or gratuities so plan accordingly. Kids menu is good and better priced and if you feel like walking down a couple hotels to the Hard Rock on the beach they have a beach bar with drink prices about $3 -$4 dollars cheaper. Morning and evening appies are great and to include alcoholic drinks in the evening is well worth the upgrade.

Learning from reviews that the Hyatt has sold to another hotel will hopefully make a few improvements to the hotel as it is on an exceptional part of the beach in Cancun.

Room Tip: Best beach.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 10, 2014

If you plan the trip carefully, you won't experience most of the negative issues reviewed for this hotel, and I'm glad I read them carefully in detail beforehand! Here's how:

- To avoid outside noise, pay a little extra and get a Regency Club Room ocean-front. We never heard an AC generator or club music! You also get access to the Club lounge with private check-in, free bottled water, free breakfast, and free happy hour/snacks with good drinks!

- Purchase the food credits when you check-in. You can always buy more later if needed. I bought $100 for $200 worth of food. This is a great deal when the drinks cost $14 retail, but you're actually only paying $7 with the credits deal, and they are AMAZING drinks (especially the mango daiquiris and mudslides!). Tips are not included with the credits, so budget for that additionally.

Why We Loved It:

- Safe walking distance to all of the major bars and clubs in Cancun (3 single girls on our trip), so no expensive cab rides by strangers.

- As others mentioned, BEST beach in Cancun. It's clearly the largest and least crowded beach in Cancun. You can tell a major difference when looking at the other properties down the beach!

- Bali beds: They get taken early, but so comfy to relax on, especially if you get burned one day and want to lay out with a full beach view in the shade. The hotel next door had beds too, but they were plastic material and gross. The Hyatt's beds were cloth material and plush with pillows!

- Plentiful lay out chairs with tiki hut shade!

- Staff was SUPER friendly and accommodating.

Cons:

- The walls are thin, so it was hard to sleep in, but I travel a lot in the states and have yet to find a hotel with solid walls!

- The elevators were always HOT!

- No free wifi, but you can get it at restaurants down the street.

- Beds were too firm for our group, not the most comfortable.

Would We Stay Again?

YES! However, I'm sad the hotel ownership is changing to Krystal because that's the name of the hotel next door that isn't near as nice as the Hyatt, so I hope the quality stays the same or better. :( We will have to read reviews before our next trip to see if it's still the same or not!

Room Tip: Get a Regency Club oceanfront room for peace & quiet and free water, breakfast, and happy hour...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank MaYBaBeOSU13
Reviewed April 8, 2014

The Hyatt is a very nice hotel in the HEART of Cancun's famous party center... Not very well known to college students due to it's non All-Inclusive packaging, it is still a great hotel due to it's great service, location, cleanliness, beach and rooms.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Beautiful beach, cabanas and restaurants. Service was good. But as many others have already stated, simply not up to the brand standard I expect for Hyatt. We had two double beds, which were painfully uncomfortable and the room just lacked any ambiance or upgrades that I would expect. The AC did not work - was constantly on and too cold. Didn't bother trying to get it fixed, as we were out of the room most always. {TIP}: TAKE the DEAL they offer at CHECK-IN: $100 is = to $200 hotel credit and $200=$400. We dropped close to $100 on the breakfast bar alone for four of us. Also, know this property is at the VERY END of the hotel zone, which is a longer drive, but I think equals a better beach experience. I would suggest only using this as a short-stay option. We were there only two nights before heading south - can't imagine another night.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lagoon are going to be loud due to the neighboring hotel's AC.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank bussess
Reviewed April 2, 2014

The Good....Beautiful Beach, Endless hot water in the shower and strong water pressure, nice thick towels, Great Location, more adult clientele and not many spring breakers.
The Bad...Paper thin walls, We could hear everything and were not able to sleep through a single night without waking up from the noise. Pool looked good from far away, but up close need cleaning, re-tiling/grouting. Lobby seems to have no air conditioning....Elevators definitely do not have air conditioning. Safes in rooms do not work. Have to pay for internet wifi....business center consist of three computers in the deli which they charge for (and by the way do not have a standard keyboard...take note when entering your passwords) Shower curtain held up by rusty clips, tub was re glazed with brushed on finish. Overall I have stayed at worse hotels, however with the Hyatt name, I had an expected level of quality that was not there.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple