“Very nice. Good for vegetarians.”

Krystal Grand Punta Cancun
Ranked #57 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Hopkins, Minnesota
“Very nice. Good for vegetarians.”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband and I spent one week (2/1/14 to 2/8/14) at the Hyatt Regency in Cancun. We had a very nice time and have no complaints.

I brought earplugs and Ambien because of all the complaints I read about the noise from the air conditioning at the Fiesta Americana. I’m a light sleeper, and many noises that don't bother other people irritate me. We were in Room 906, right across from the AC noise. As it turned out, it didn't bother me at all. To me, it was just white noise in the background. I didn't need the earplugs or the Ambien. The noise didn’t even bother me when I was on the balcony. It was easy to tune out.

There were also no problems with noise within the Hyatt. It's true that if people let a door slam, it makes quite a racket, but we only heard that once or twice a day (never at night). I don't know if it was a slow week or if we had exceptionally polite neighbors, but we had no problem with noise. We didn't even hear the usual hotel noises (showers, toilets, hair dryers, talking).

My husband and I are vegetarian, and we were pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to find something to eat at the Hyatt. We did the two-for-one deal, and we ate all but two meals at the hotel. There were more vegetarian options for lunch than for dinner, so we wound up repeating a few meals at dinner. The food was good.

The room comes with an ironing board and an iron and a hair dryer. The towels were thick and soft (so were the beach towels they supply.) We got at least two bottles of water a day, even if we still had some left over from the previous day.

For transportation to and from the airport, we used Yellow Transfers. This is a shuttle (not a taxi). It cost $50 round-trip for two people (total, not each). At the airport, we had to wait until the van was full before we could take off. We were almost the last ones on, so we only had to wait about 10 minutes. On the way to the airport, the shuttle was at the hotel on time, and we got to the airport in about 20 minutes.

Everyone was very nice, and the service was very good. I especially liked being called “my lady” by the waiters. It’s so much nicer than “ma’am”!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bunyip2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I was attending a conference for a week and it was very close to the main conference centre, easy walking distance. It was marvellous to be able to get up early and go for a walk along the beach before breakfast. Good hotel but if you like English tea, take your own and be prepared to heat the water in the coffee percolator. Nice breakfasts and clean rooms with great sea views.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We've stayed six nights in the hotel. I read before the trip, that the hotel is very very noisy. It is true!! The atmosphere of the building is very noisy. We lived on the 7th floor, but we heard everything from the ground floor. Sleeping till late morning? Forget it!
Friday afternoon the workers was drilling from 12.00 till evening! Drilling&drilling&drilling! Sleeping afternoon??? Forget it!!!
There isn't free wifi! I had to call the reception on the first three days, that pls clean out our room.
I'm sure, that the general manager will apologize here, but I don't care!!! Because I payed many dollars for this vacation, and I didn't get anything from Hyatt!!! It would be correct if they pay back my money, but of course they won't!!!
One positive thing: the location, and the beach, the view is fantastic!
Avoid this place, if you are looking for the peaceful beach and relaxing vacation!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

I will go on Record that I normally stay at Starwood properties but decided to try the Hyatt Regency since I am a platinum member. First the location is in a rather unpleasant section of the hotel zone. It is busy and there is slit of noise from the surrounding club scene. Reception is draconian, slow and drawn out. The rooms are small and in my case in need of repair..exposed wires, malfunctioning safe to name a few. If you expect an upgrade...well take your chances...the staff is generally polite but not as effecicent ad other US owned properties. Food and beverage prices are extremely high. The atmosphere is very boring and lacking. For my money...there are much better hotels in Cancun..try the Westin or JW Marriott..you will be a happier traveler.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank traveledbefore
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights in the first week of feb.
Thought it was Hyatt so should be good but for the first time I have been disappointed with Hyatt.
Good:
- The open lounge that is open till 12 am is good. You can sit outside and order food and drinks.
- Pool was good. The swim up bar was decent
- The conversion rate of USD to pesos was fair (outside it was much less)
- Location

Bad:
- My room was not well maintained. Water was leaking.
- The lock did not work when we got there. But it was fixed promptly.
- Bed was horrible. They had the cheapest spring mattress and the bed frame was made out of metal that made sounds like it was about to break.
- I requested my trip guy to drop me to my next hotel and he agreed. While leaving the bell boy said they can't allow us to go with the tour guy and I need to take a taxi. We had to get off the bus. I don't think it was a big deal.
- The hotel itself was not built well. It looked like some 2.5 star hotel.

I think I won't recommend this hotel to anyone just because you can get better hotels in the same area for similar price.

Room Tip: pretty much all the rooms have ocean view as the building is circular in shape and ocean is almost v...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I intended to give this hotel 5 stars until tonight.
We arrived last week and the hotel is absolutely gorgeous. Modern, recently renovated and exactly what you would expect from a Hyatt. All staff is extremely friendly and professional. Everyone smiles and is always ready to help and answer questions. The entire facility is very clean and taken care off. The beach is cleaned every night, the sand feels like white powder and the ocean is turquoise and beautiful. The pool area is fun and comfortable as everying is looking clean and updated.
The area is convenient. Close to the nightlife with bars, shopping and a few restaurants. Also easy to catch the bus withing walking distance, a bus fare cost 2 dollars a person but the taxis are actually affordable too.
I have walked into many of the neighboring hotels and none is as pretty and new as this Hyatt Regency Cancun!
We did however have to complain after the first night. Oddly, there were many things broken or not working in the first room. A lamp, the coffee machine was leaking, the scale wasn't functioning, there was mold on the shower curtain (which is normal in this climate but it does need to get thouroughly cleaned) and the room was located facing the Fiesta Americana hotel over a huge air conditioning unit which is so loud, even with a closed balcony door it was unbearably loud. I talked to the front desk the next morning and promptly the friendly staff accommodated us with a much better room where now everything works and we have been enjoying our vacation:) Violeta from the front desk made this all happen for us and ensured we were 100% satisfied. She was extremely professional, helpful, and proactive. She is not a manager today but being an HR executive myself, she is someone I would take a good look at for a promotion to manager the way she handles the situation and how she was able to turn around our initial disappointment.
I do have to add though why I am giving 3 starts and not 5.
The room service department needs a lot of help!!!! All day long crew comes in and out of the room when all should be taken care of at once to minimize guest disruption. One lady comes in to clean, another comes in the evening to restock the coffee and water (you'd think it makes more sense to do this before the afternoon for guests to enjoy their coffee in the morning and/or afternoon). However, this service in inconsistent, sometimes they come, other times you have to hunt them down. It took a while to explain to everyone that we are 3 people thus we need 3 waters, coffees, shampoos, towels, etc. one time we didn't get any coffee so I needed to call. Yesterday we came back and the TV was on. Today we got delivered a bottle of champagne, I thought courtesy from the front desk and when I left for 30 minutes and returned right back to enjoy the courtesy beverage, it was gone!! The "night courtesy" was in my room, attempting to deliver water. I asked them what happened to the champagne and they called the front desk. Front desk wanted me to fill out a report to investigate through security. It was already 10 pm and I really didn't feel like dealing with daily issues anymore so I refused to do any more such reporting, explaining situations, talking to staff... After all I am trying to relax while on vacation. So, I am concerned with the high number of people coming in and out of the room daily and the lack of knowledge when something gets delivered and then it disappears within 30 minutes and no one knows why. Everyone is so nice, the last thing I want is get anyone in trouble however, I am not used to this much confusion mainly relevant to beverage/mini bar restock crew.
Food quality is below average but that is true for this entire area, not the hotels fault. All food here is far from healthy and offers little variety, an issue I have encountered in almost all Caribbean places. The beverage and food prices in the hotel are very overpriced and are the same as in a metropolitan U.S city hotel. However, all hotels here are similar and have overpriced everything, as if we were in the US I a main city.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get ocean view since the hotel across the street (Fiesta Americana) has the loudes...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed over New Year and had a very relaxing stay. The hotel is situated at the tip of the Cancun hotel area, a prime location to take in the views of the sea. The beach is perfect, white and pristine and so clean. The sea is gorgeous.

The hotel is well equipped, with a small gym, 2 good sized pools, a grill restaurant, bar, beauty rooms and an onsite shop.

The buffet breakfast is quite expensive at $30 per head, but it has a great variety and is worth doing at least once during the trip. The food is lovely, but it is expensive to do everyday.

The poolside and seaside food and drinks service is good. The cocktails are superb!

We took advantage of the credit deal where you buy $250 dollars worth of credit and receive $500 to spend in the hotel. This was a good deal and was worthwhile, so if you can afford it then this is something you can consider.

The only downside is the rooms could benefit from a upgrading. The decoration could do with refreshing and our shower was incredibly noisy and the toilet handle kept falling out of the cistern!

All in all, this is a good hotel with good standards of service, but it could benefit from upgrading particularly given the amount of money that we paid to stay there. I was slightly disappointed in the room decoration. Good location, good service.

Room Tip: Ask for a bedroom that has a sea view - it is worth the extra costs. Also, if you want a quieter...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple