“Beautiful beachfront oasis”

Ranked #53 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
New York City, New York
“Beautiful beachfront oasis”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The Hyatt Regency Cancun made my 11 nights in Cancun memorable and enjoyable. My 11th-floor club room had a lagoon view and great balcony.

When I first arrived, the bellmen somehow knew who I was and immediately brought me to the Regency Club for check in, where we took advantage of the Hyatt double credit promotion, purchasing $500USD worth of restaurant credit for only $240USD. This, plus the food in the Regency Club more than covered meals, snacks, drinks, and room service for 2 for almost 2 weeks, and was an amazing value. Overall my room was perfect, except for a few pretty major plumbing problems, but those were fixed immediately. Customer service could use some work, but is fine, overall. Here's an overview of the pros and cons.

PROS
Location: The hotel is perfectly situated on Punta Cancun, so that it is within a 5-minute walk to bars, clubs, shops, and restaurants, but far enough away from the main drag that you don't get the noise or traffic.

Property: The hotel is beautiful. The rooms are nicely appointed with comfortable beds and furniture. Some wear and tear is visible, but it is manageable. Showers have good water pressure, the closets are ample, and the balcony is furnished and comfortable. The interior of the hotel is visually stunning with a huge internal courtyard and skylight. The gym is large, well equipped, and spotless. Staff host daily activities from yoga to crafts to Spanish lessons.

Grounds: The hotel is right on the ocean and has an expansive private beach with bali beds and lounge chairs reserved for the hotel. The pools are beautiful and the pool deck is kept very clean.

Food: Anthony Bourdain once said that Hyatt hotels are the only chain hotel where he would ever eat at the restaurants, and he is right. The food at all of the restaurants, room service, pool service, and the wonderful Christmas and New Year's eve dinners was delicious.

Regency Club: The comfortable Regency Club, on the 14th floor, was a huge treat and well worth the cost for the great food and drink available throughout the day. At peak times, however, it was really crowded.

CONS
Service: Hotel staff were always courteous and kind, but more often than not, they were dreadfully slow. This was especially noticeable at the pool and swim up bar. At the swim up bar, it was a 15-minute wait just to be served, and then another 10 minutes to actually get your drink. Ordering from the servers was no better. 1 order of nachos took about 45 minutes to receive. Even worse, food service on the beach took up to an hour for a simple order. To be fair, I do believe that the pool, beach, and swim-up bar were far understaffed. Additionally, the main restaurant, while really nice, was also a disappointment service-wise. We actually were forgotten about and not served for almost an hour during the Christmas eve dinner. Again, I feel like the restaurant was understaffed.

"Beach club": The hotel sells day passes to locals for access to the pool and private beach. This often resulted in the pool area being very crowded, and worse, the private cabanas (Bali beds) being occupied by day pass holders for the entire day. This was a big disappointment. I would recommend that at peak occupancy times, the hotel should cut down the number of day passes it sells.

Overall the Hyatt Regency Cancun was a great choice for my time in Cancun. It's not perfect, but it is pretty close.

Room Tip: Spring for a Regency Club room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank VictorBbb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Checked in here for the last night of a trip after an excellent stay at the all inclusive Hyatt Zilaria. Had a seven am flight and did not want to pay the high all inclusive rate when had to get a cab before 5 am. Used the new cash and points deal and got a great rate of 55$ US plus 4000 hyatt pts. Got out of cab and gave my name to bellman and had my reservation and directed me to the regency lounge to check in. The girl working there was not pleasant.
They have a great promotion where if you 100$ US upfront they give you credit for 200$ Can be used in all bars and restaurants except for filet and lobster.
I stayed her 2 yrs ago and remember excellent meals at The Grill. This time it was OK.
Overall this place was a great deal for the money but a bit of a letdown after a stay at the other Hyatt.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Looking for powder white beaches and turquoise waters? We like it so much!
Hyatt Regency gave my wife and our daughter 3,5 + son 1,5 years an unforgettable journey.
Mexican hospitality wrapped in U.S.A. service standards is our match.
Cancun is the perfect getaway to enjoy Mexico or to start your journey from their.
It has it all if you like the sun/sea/sand holiday style. Look forward to come back again soon.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a bath tub, please book the lower floors as the higher Club floors have a rai...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Stockholm
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Beware of this hotel. The bellboy and head of security stole my iPad and the hotel does not acknowledge it.
When checking out of the hotel at 4:00 AM in the morning, the bellboy helped us carry down our luggage. He took the elevator down by himself and stole my ipad which was inside one of my carry-on bags. The is no question that he did it. The hotel was completely empty at 4.00 AM and he was the only one having access to the bags - and only for a few minutes. When complaining to the hotel we found out that the bellboy was also the head of security and the one to investigating himself.

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and ended up on the top floor. We had to change room as the room with a balcony had much noise from the wind. We changed to a room without a balcony and there was no problem. Also the first room had a blind spot and we could not get internet to work.

This was the 4th hotel we stayed in during our 3 weeks stay in Cancun / Playa del Carmen.

Room Tip: We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and ended up on the top floor. We had to change room as the roo...
Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank Mr_Greve
Russell, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This was mine and my husbands first trip to Mexico and we were excited. Were staying at the Hyatt for a business trip. When we have arrived, we got into our room and realized that there was 2 double beds instead of one king. We went down to the hotel desk and they said we would have to wait till tomorrow to get the room we have booked. We were fine with that. The next day we moved our luggage and hung out at the pool bar. Check in time is at three but we had to wait till 4:30 for our new room. It would have been a lot smoother if the front staff have us an exact time we were told to come back at 3 then 4 then 4:30. I wish they communicated to tell us an exact time. The one thing I noticed in our rooms that under the beds as a little bit dusty but other than that our room was clean. When it came to the cleaning staff, they came by at 9:30 in the morning but we were there all week. They should be able to come at a later time for guest who are staying longer then 2 days.

The one thing that got to me at this hotel was the service at the restaurants. The food was delicious. Since we were there during the rainy season, they did have to move into the hotel for lunch and dinner. Breakfast service was fine. They gave you a menu and you can choose in between menu or buffet. They cleaned our plates quick when we were done. The thing that got me was the wait for dinner. They sat us and we had to wait 10 mins for the menu. We also waited at least 45 mins for our meal. I was a little frustrated and my husband could tell. I even noticed that other people around us were a little frustrated as well. The staff should be a little more prepared when it comes to the rainy days for dinner service. We also had a friend that we had lunch with and they were charged an extra beer on there bill she had told the waiter that she did not order a beer but he had argued back saying she did. That was our last day there but still. When ever in a customer service industry you DO NOT argue with a customer.

We were in a great location and the beach was fantastic.

My husband and I would debate on going back to the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Traveler4life21
sweden
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Worn out hotel.Rain came into our room through a sealed window!Had to change room due to terrible sound from the wind (due to hotels location) and paying internet didn't work. We ended up with no balcony since all balconies sound. After hours of trying with their website provider and complaining with the supervisor we got free internet.The worst came at the end, when we checked out at 4am in the morning.We asked for a bellboy who came to pick up our luggage and he took it while we checked out. We asked him to be careful with our “fragile” carry-on suitcases.Nobody came into contact with these bags from the time that man picked them up and put them in the taxi. My husband took them out of the taxi himself into a trolley at the airport. When we reached the counter and he opened his suitcase, his IPAD air was gone. I called the hotel directly to say what happened and they said they would contact security. What shocked me was to know that the bellboy that picked up our bags was also the CHIEF OF SECURITY of the hotel!! So he was going to investigate the robbery and look into the security camera videos HIMSELF which I stated was ridiculous because he was the only suspect. The bellboy obviously denied he took anything and end of the story. The hotel said there was nothing else to do. Obviously this is deliberately done to people leaving the hotel and the country so you don't have time or possibility to return to the hotel.BEWARE.We’ll never stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Do not ask for a balcony as all balconies sound terribly. Hotel is located at the "point"...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank 1000worldtraveller
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I red a lot on posts. We use our Hyatt points. Everything for us was excellent. I think you should ask for a regency club room with access to the regency club. Is very cool. We bought credits food and beverages. Hyatt double them! The lounge is very cool. Cocktails are excellent. The guacamole wahoo !!!!! Service is very good. All people are so kind. The grill restaurant is very good. Specially mixed grilled and shrimps with chile sauce. The ice creams at the deli....miam. Real gelato :-)
The beach is fantastic. The hotels near are looking old and having not good beach. You can eat to the Paloma Bonita just in front of the Hyatt. Very good, very funny and with very big glasses of margarita !!!! We had only 2 days with sun :-( but our travel was outstanding, we laugh a lot! It is true that air conditioning outside is noisy. I put hear plugs and it was perfect. There is a lot of humidity in the room but you are in a hot country. I took a home fragrance and it did the job very well. So I will come back very soon I hope :-). It is the hotel cleaner I had ever seen!!!!!

Room Tip: Regency club room in high floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple