“WARNING: Beware the staff is stealing !!!”

Krystal Grand Punta Cancun
Ranked #54 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Beware of this hotel. The bellboy and head of security stole my iPad and the hotel does not acknowledge it.
When checking out of the hotel at 4:00 AM in the morning, the bellboy helped us carry down our luggage. He took the elevator down by himself and stole my ipad which was inside one of my carry-on bags. The is no question that he did it. The hotel was completely empty at 4.00 AM and he was the only one having access to the bags - and only for a few minutes. When complaining to the hotel we found out that the bellboy was also the head of security and the one to investigating himself.

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and ended up on the top floor. We had to change room as the room with a balcony had much noise from the wind. We changed to a room without a balcony and there was no problem. Also the first room had a blind spot and we could not get internet to work.

This was the 4th hotel we stayed in during our 3 weeks stay in Cancun / Playa del Carmen.

Room Tip: We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and ended up on the top floor. We had to change room as the roo...
Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank Mr_Greve

Reviewed January 13, 2014

This was mine and my husbands first trip to Mexico and we were excited. Were staying at the Hyatt for a business trip. When we have arrived, we got into our room and realized that there was 2 double beds instead of one king. We went down to the hotel desk and they said we would have to wait till tomorrow to get the room we have booked. We were fine with that. The next day we moved our luggage and hung out at the pool bar. Check in time is at three but we had to wait till 4:30 for our new room. It would have been a lot smoother if the front staff have us an exact time we were told to come back at 3 then 4 then 4:30. I wish they communicated to tell us an exact time. The one thing I noticed in our rooms that under the beds as a little bit dusty but other than that our room was clean. When it came to the cleaning staff, they came by at 9:30 in the morning but we were there all week. They should be able to come at a later time for guest who are staying longer then 2 days.

The one thing that got to me at this hotel was the service at the restaurants. The food was delicious. Since we were there during the rainy season, they did have to move into the hotel for lunch and dinner. Breakfast service was fine. They gave you a menu and you can choose in between menu or buffet. They cleaned our plates quick when we were done. The thing that got me was the wait for dinner. They sat us and we had to wait 10 mins for the menu. We also waited at least 45 mins for our meal. I was a little frustrated and my husband could tell. I even noticed that other people around us were a little frustrated as well. The staff should be a little more prepared when it comes to the rainy days for dinner service. We also had a friend that we had lunch with and they were charged an extra beer on there bill she had told the waiter that she did not order a beer but he had argued back saying she did. That was our last day there but still. When ever in a customer service industry you DO NOT argue with a customer.

We were in a great location and the beach was fantastic.

My husband and I would debate on going back to the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Traveler4life21
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Worn out hotel.Rain came into our room through a sealed window!Had to change room due to terrible sound from the wind (due to hotels location) and paying internet didn't work. We ended up with no balcony since all balconies sound. After hours of trying with their website provider and complaining with the supervisor we got free internet.The worst came at the end, when we checked out at 4am in the morning.We asked for a bellboy who came to pick up our luggage and he took it while we checked out. We asked him to be careful with our “fragile” carry-on suitcases.Nobody came into contact with these bags from the time that man picked them up and put them in the taxi. My husband took them out of the taxi himself into a trolley at the airport. When we reached the counter and he opened his suitcase, his IPAD air was gone. I called the hotel directly to say what happened and they said they would contact security. What shocked me was to know that the bellboy that picked up our bags was also the CHIEF OF SECURITY of the hotel!! So he was going to investigate the robbery and look into the security camera videos HIMSELF which I stated was ridiculous because he was the only suspect. The bellboy obviously denied he took anything and end of the story. The hotel said there was nothing else to do. Obviously this is deliberately done to people leaving the hotel and the country so you don't have time or possibility to return to the hotel.BEWARE.We’ll never stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Do not ask for a balcony as all balconies sound terribly. Hotel is located at the "point"...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank 1000worldtraveller
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I red a lot on posts. We use our Hyatt points. Everything for us was excellent. I think you should ask for a regency club room with access to the regency club. Is very cool. We bought credits food and beverages. Hyatt double them! The lounge is very cool. Cocktails are excellent. The guacamole wahoo !!!!! Service is very good. All people are so kind. The grill restaurant is very good. Specially mixed grilled and shrimps with chile sauce. The ice creams at the deli....miam. Real gelato :-)
The beach is fantastic. The hotels near are looking old and having not good beach. You can eat to the Paloma Bonita just in front of the Hyatt. Very good, very funny and with very big glasses of margarita !!!! We had only 2 days with sun :-( but our travel was outstanding, we laugh a lot! It is true that air conditioning outside is noisy. I put hear plugs and it was perfect. There is a lot of humidity in the room but you are in a hot country. I took a home fragrance and it did the job very well. So I will come back very soon I hope :-). It is the hotel cleaner I had ever seen!!!!!

Room Tip: Regency club room in high floor
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We spent only one night here, our last night in the Yucatan, after we had a horrendous experience with a little family run hotel in the town of Vallidolid which we had hoped to experience rather than just staying in the resorts.

When I booked, they had club level and ocean view rooms available. After the disaster we had in the previous hotel, we opted for the club level rooms, figuring it was the best way to ensure we’d get the best rooms in the quietest location.

We requested a quiet room, and booked the “business plan” rate that included internet and breakfast for all in the room (including our kid).

So now we check in. Again I stress that we want a quiet room.

They take us to the room. I realize quickly there is a loud humming sound. I mean it was very loud. So I turn off the AC. That wasn’t it. I’m going crazy to trying to find where the sound is coming from. I give up and open the door to the balcony.

And that’s when I figure it out. Other reviewers have mentioned this, but folks, you cannot understate this. The hotel across the street has some kind of insane HVAC system that is ridiculously loud. Across the street, in our room, with the sliding doors to the balcony firmly shut, it sounded about as loud as an airplane flying overhead if you were standing along the approach path.

So I go back up to the Club level check in and ask Carlos, the guy at the desk, how on earth he can call this a quiet room. He says he will look for other rooms, because, as he says, he knows that there are widespread complaints about noise in the rooms on that side of the hotel.
What the heck?! He *KNEW* there are widespread complaints about noise in those rooms, and yet he put us in those rooms when we asked for a quiet room!?!

So I ask him to find other quiet rooms. He says he will, and will send a bellman to our room to show us the other rooms. The afternoon hors doeuvres and cocktail service in the club lounge is under way, and we will clearly miss it with all this about reassigning rooms. So I try to get a glass of wine for my wife and myself while we wait for the bellman. Not allowed to take our glass of wine into our room. Because those are the rules. And rules are rules.

Really?

After you’ve screwed up our room assignment and check in?

Yes, I am told. Because those are the rules.

Are you kidding?!

How come there isn't a rule that check-in cannot be an hour-long trail of tears?!!

So then the bellman comes to show us the room (BTW, Gustavo the bellman showed more professionalism and hospitality than the rest of the hotel staff put together, *including* their “managers”).

First piece of news – they have already given away the quiet room they had in mind to someone else.

HUH? How can that be? No explanation.

Now poor Gustavo leads me on a wild goose chase for a quiet room all through the hotel. First stop, a room on the 2nd floor. Faces the noisy hotel HVAC across the street, and faces this hotels own kitchen ventilators. So it is twice as noisy, smelly from the kitchen exhaust, and has a lovely view of the commercial flatroof entrance.

This is what they propose as our premium Club level quiet room.

Poor Gustavo is clearly embarrassed that they made him take me to this room. So now he is talking to the front desk, and they are coming up with various other rooms. All of them are on the noisy side of the hotel, on lower floors. We’re walking all over the hotel, checking various rooms, none of which work (no rollout beds available for our daughter).

Finally, I thank Gustavo and tell him that enough of his time and my time has been wasted by this ridiculous wild goose chase that the reception desk has sent us on, and it’s time to end the farce.

So I go back up to our room. The Club Lounge afternoon reception is just ending now. And all of a sudden all we hear in our room is the screeching of chairs and furniture being pulled across the tiled floor of the room above us. I mean it is hideous.

What the heck? We now figured it out. Not only was our room on the noisy side of the hotel where the hotel across the street has a crazy loud HVAC system, but our room was DIRECTLY UNDERNEATH the club lounge, which has a tile floor so that all we hear is a cacophony of furniture scraping across the floor.

Unbelievable.

The furniture in the room was beat up and tawdry. The table/desk is made of cheap fiberboard and the laminate veneer is bubbling and peeling (see picture). That’s your club level room????
The bathroom is small – not at all what you’d expect for $675 per night (see picture). And the shower drain is clogged, so that the water backs up and gets all over the floor of the rest of the bath.

The décor and service experience and physical plant were more like a $100 a night motel than a $675 a night full service resort hotel.

At 7 am, as the club lounge opened for breakfast, again we were treated to incredibly loud and annoying squeals and scratches of furniture being dragged over tile floors, as our room was directly beneath the club lounge.

So we wake up (impossible to sleep, and actually impossible to be in the room – it was like sitting underneath someone scratching their finger nails on a blackboard VERY loudly).

So we go down to the restaurant for our breakfast. The hostess refuses to seat us because she says our room rate does not include breakfast at the restaurant, club level guests only eat the continental breakfast in the club lounge. I am trying to show her we have the “business plan” rate with breakfast at the restaurant included. Nothing doing.

Off I go to the reception desk and talk to a manager. She apologizes and comes down and convinces the restaurant hostess to do things right. We get seated.

The restaurant is wildly understaffed, folks. I mean wildly understaffed. The staff were running around like chickens with their heads cut off. They are literally throwing silverware, plates and serving dishes around, so it is just a chaotic, loud mess in there. Great view of the ocean and beach, but a painful experience with the disastrous service. It was impossible to get an omlette – the omlette station had literally 8 people backed up, and the cook was taking something like 3-5 minutes to take care of each person.

The best?

As we leave, the waiter comes up to us and presents us with a check. What?! We already had this discussion, and it was resolved, right? He says it is just for our kid’s breakfast, which is not included. But this is simply wrong, the room rate includes breakfast in the restaurant for ALL residents of the room. He argues about it for a couple of minutes (seriously, argues about it!) and then says OK, just sign it and we won’t charge you.

HUH?

The final unpleasantness was at lunch. No restaurant is open for lunch at the hotel until 12 pm. What the heck? Really? They have multiple restaurants, but NOTHING is open to get even just a sandwich or a burger until 12 noon. Fine, we wait. We get seated and order. The food takes 20-25 minutes to come out – we only ordered burgers. 25 minutes to bring out a burger? When it finally comes out, the fries are stone cold. They’ve clearly been sitting on the counter for at least 15 minutes.

OK, so let’s close with the good part about the hotel. It is on a nice beach, and water is nice, there is a breakwater that protects this little cove from rough waves, and the ocean is clean, and the floor is soft sand that is mostly free of rocks and seaweed.

The rest of the place is way below average.

Stay away.

The hotel zone in Cancun is chock a block with gigantic properties with jillions of rooms.

You can surely do much better than this.

Room Tip: Insist on not facing the lagoon/city -- the loud noise from the HVAC of the hotel across the street...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank JolietJakeBlues
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I joined 3 others in a room (1 was a child) prior to Christmas 2013. The charge was $180 for 5 nights. No meals or anything was included in that price.

Breakfast Buffet daily with $23 (300 pesos) and it was nothing special. The typical eggs, omelet station, meat, breads, watered down juice, coffee or tea. Service from the waiters was pretty good.

Bottled Water - you were provided one free 1/2 liter bottle in the room per day. If you wanted to buy a 1 liter bottle of water from the cash bar in the room the charge was listed as $7.50 (98 pesos)! But if you walked across the street to the Oxxo - same 1 liter bottled water was 2 for 20 pesos. Bottle Water by the pool was near $4 (50 pesos) for a half liter bottle. Beer was a 100 pesos.

All means were equally as exorbitant - nothing on the menu was anything spectacular.

There were some activities by the pool - water aerobics, water polo, water volleyball as well as beach volleyball in the afternoon.

The view was beautiful, room was like the size of a standard double room with 2 beds. In general the common areas were clean. Elevators often didn't work or were out of service for repair.

Fitness area had several broken machines.

Handset to the phone in the room didn't work, despite being reported more than once, was not fixed during our stay. You needed to use speaker feature to answer the phone.

The wait staff was always pleasant and attentive - it's not their fault the hotel policy to set such high prices.

I arrived on December 17th. On December 18th We left the room for breakfast around 7:00 a.m., returned, changed into swimsuits, went for a walk, played on the beach, played in the pool, returned to our room around 5:00 p.m. to change to go out for dinner. Room had not been made up/cleaned.. Around 5:15 p.m. or later the housekeeping person knocked on the door to ask us to leave the room to clean it. We advised that we were gone all day, the room isn't clean and we're getting ready to go out for dinner, no we were not leaving the room. Housekeeping reported to management who then called to inquire if we had indeed turned away Housekeeping. Management advised the cleaning hours are until 5:00 p.m., where we advised that Housekeeping didn't appear until after 5:15. By the next morning we were completely out of toilet paper, were using the last sheets of facial tissue. Towels were all dirty and not enough as no towels were added when I arrived.

The following days housekeeping completed cleaning the room by noon.

Internet was $11.50 per day for a very slow (like snails pace) and unrelieable connection, that would cut out just as you were about to complete the desired task.

At the room rates for Hyatt Regency Cancun, there should be a much higher standard of performance. But even at a lower rate - there isn't enough value to get me to return.

Air conditioning must have had an energy saving mode at night that would automatically increase the temperature in the room. Housekeeping would turn off the air conditioning during the day - it would take until 11:00 p.m. to cool down to 72 degrees, woke up every morning sweating with light night wear.

Returned to Cancun from January 3-5, 2014, stayed at an all inclusive with so much more value for a less expensive room rate. They'll get my return business and high recommendations.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CCValmex2014
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Good hotel for using points - reasonable amount for good beach and pool. Double purchase buying power promotion helps with cost too.

Good wifi. Food service slow all three restaurants use same menu. Would love some variety.

Like location at end of beach so quieter location and surf wall keeps water calmer.

Stayed: January 2014