“Paradise for parents”

Crown Paradise Club Cancun
Ranked #49 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed January 4, 2003

Some people must be very hard to please.
A lot of the negative comments seem to come from people who perhaps do not do the "all inclusive" type holiday.

Have been to several all inclusive resorts and this resort lived up to the good reviews on this site.

Room was excellent (new tower, ground floor, view of pool and view of ocean from patio)

There were a variety of places to eat, so if you didn't like one, then there were certainly others that you would like.

My lunch favourite was definately the Japanese, favourite dinner was the Italian, however, kid's liked Wayne's boots (watching dad fall off the bull)

Buffet was excellent, lots of cook to order food stations, if you didn't like food at a restaurant you could fill up on the buffet. (Never had too)

Kid's club is the best I've seen. Probably only suitable up to age 8 to 9, but after that they usually don't want to go to the kid's club anyway. They even look after them while you have dinner!!!!!!

Entertainment was fairly quiet, and yes the drinks were watered down so ask for a double! So probably more suitable for the family holiday, however, they do have trips into Cancun every evening for the young, which we never checked out.

Only one negative, watch for that undertow.
beach was wonderful but very scary.

1  Thank suses

Lone Tree colorado
Reviewed December 31, 2002

My family and I have just returned from the Crown Paradise Club in Cancun Mexico. Our trip was from Dec. 24 thru Dec. 31. We had read the reviews on this site about the Crown Paradise on Dec. 23, 2002. We became worried about the bad reviews. I notified my travel agent, but she was unable to move us to another hotel. We figured we were in for a bad time, but we would make due. We had no problems with the flight, we had no problems in immigration, or customs. We had our birth certificates and drivers license's ready. My children are 12, 11 and 8. We arrived at the hotel with no problems. The Apple representative's are great. The staff at the hotel were wonderful. The hotel is beautiful. It is kept very clean. Our room was large. I did need to ask for an extra bed, which they brought immediately. We had all five of us in one room. Very large room so we had no issues. The staff were extremely polite, and gracious. We enjoyed tipping. The food was excellent, especially the "Fisherman's" restaurant, meal: coconut shrimp. I am sure we all gained at least five pounds. Awesome because we ate anytime we wanted, and everyone had a choice of whatever they wanted to eat. Room service was included. The taxi and bus were great. A little scary as far as how they drive there, but the kids were loving the wild rides. We took the bus and the taxi's a number of times to the downtown area, and to our excursions. We had Apple assist us in signing us up for three excursions. We loved each one. I enjoyed the dolphin swim the most, this was at the Island of Mejueres. "Island of Women". Not so crowded there. We got the whole class to ourselves. They did a wonderful video and we bought it. Very memorable. We also went to Xcaret. The best there was the river swim, and the show. Very spectacular show. We did the Captain Hook pirate ship excursion and the kids loved it. My oldest came back raving, and she was the one who did not want to do this excursion. It was a bl
hol, but the hotel, staff, and whole experience were so wonderful. The beach is really great. We loved riding the waves. Again, I just wanted to express my pleasure in staying at the Crown Paradise club. WE LOVED IT! Thank you. Coleen Syrstad and family.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 31, 2002

We are leaving in 25 days for our 3rd trip to the Crown Paradise and as you can see we are literally counting the days! We love the resort and everything it offers, it's really the best of both worlds for families! Our kids (7 & 3 1/2) can come with us and spend time with us when they will allow it, lol! And my husband & I can lay around by the pool and do nothing but relax! We actually had to force the kids to eat breakfast & hang out by the pool with us for a bit before going to the kid's club and same thing for dinner! They wanted to spend all their time at the club! We have had no complaints whatsoever for our 2 previous trips in January and expect the same for this trip! I tell everyone about this resort if they have kids because quite frankly if your kids aren't happy & busy during your vacation then it's not a vacation for mom & dad!

1  Thank KellyB
Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Reviewed December 28, 2002

Our family had a GREAT vacation here at the Crown Paradise Resort. The Review board is a great information tool, however, readers should keep in mind it is based on personal opinions and lifestyles.

1. We were looking for a nice Family Resort at an affordable price for 2 adults and 2 children ages 8 and 9 and this resort was an A+ based on our lifestyle. We booked this vacation as a Last Minute Deal and we were pleased with the selection.

2. Hassle-free check-in process as we arrived at the resort. The clerks were very polite and helpful. The buffet restaurant was to close at 9pm but remained open until we were completely done with dinner since we had arrived and checked-in around 8pm.

3. We were given a room in the newest tower on the first floor and the view was absolutely gorgeous. The cleanliness of the rooms was amazing and the housekeeping staff always managed to leave a "Crown" design with the tissue on a daily basis. They even put our shoes away everytime they cleaned the room. Room Service was fantastic and prompt. We would order a carafe of coffee with sweet bread and the staff would knowck on your door 10 minutes later with your tray! Now that's service!!! We would then enjoy our coffee and juice on the balcony over-looking the Crown Paradise pool and watching the beautiful ocean waves, what a life!

4. The poolbar staff were very polite and always smiling. Give'em a few bucks tip, and voila NO watered-down drinks! As a canadian and a Ceasar lover, I decided to bring my own clamato juice, but to my surprise, Mexico has it! Where have you ever seen Clamato juice when going on vacation? Certainly not in Las Vegas or Jamaica... For the kids, all they had to do is ask for a Pina Colada or Strawberry Daiquiri and they were given a grown-up drink without the alcohol. One suggestion for this resort would be to put up a drink menu somewhere to give folks an idea of a great drink, however, the Crown Paradise drink was fantastic as well. It looked and tasted like a strawberry-banana milkshake.

5. The kids club was awesome! Although my children did not want to go everyday and I did NOT want them to be there everday, the club was great. The staff were very caring, fun and wonderful. My boys went there when we decided we would take a shopping tour, hahaha, I don't blame them, it was quite hot to walk around. They preferred to stay at the kids club for craft time and the water slides......wooohooo!

6. Aqua World is the place to go if you want to have a little workout with the paddle boats and wind surfing (included in the All Inclusive package). This is the place to go if you like motorized sports such as seadoos, snorkeling, scuba diving ect... This was not our favorite spot since we are not the type of people to take an All Inclusive vacation then pay $85 US for half an hour of seadooing, but for those of you who enjoy this type of thing, this is a great place!

7. The pool activities and entertainment staff were great. Everyday they have pool volleyball, water polo, aquaerobics and beware of the Tequila Volleyball.....it killed me by 5pm! My family preferred the beautiful beaches of Cancun. The strong winds made huge waves and the boys thought it was fantastic, although they did get initiated to the salt water in a real bad way the first time they went in! But that didn't stop them and we continued to sit on the beaches everyday during our vacation. Oh.....and those old wooden chairs....they replaced them with brand new white plastic chaise longues the 3rd day we were there!

8. The restaurants were great and especially an A+++ for Wayne's Boots, the steak house. The food was great and the kids really enjoyed the mechanical bull, although kids were not allowed to ride it but sit on it get pushed round and round. The Seafood restaurant was fantastic for those who enjoy Fine Dining. It was way too fancy for us and I'm not one who enjoys one bite on lobster wrapped in Leek and spinach, I want the whole lobster tail. The Pizazz Italian Restaurant was a nice place as well, the food was delicious and even if it touched the fancy side a little, the kids still enjoyed it and learned great table manners! The poolbar had a pub style menu from 11am til 5pm where you could order burgers and hotdogs and top it off with great french fries, chicken wings, spare ribs and nachos. Oh....and you can order a sub sandwich of your choice too! The Buffet Restaurant was fantastic, lots of variety such as Mexican, Oriental, Italian, Caribean and many other cuisines. For breakfast, you were always greeted by the servers in a nice way and all the tables has a carafe of coffee so you didn't have to burn yourself with a cup coming down the few stairs. Most of the food was made to order such as omelettes, tacos, quesadillas, oriental dishes etc...

9. Would I go back? You bet!!! I plan on going back in December 2003 and maybe staying for 2 weeks. The resort is only 15 minutes from the airport and you have no 2 hour bus ride after getting off of the 4 hour flight plus all the airport waiting time. If you want more information, please feel free to email me and I will gladly chat with you.

Seattle, WA
Reviewed December 24, 2002

I didn't realize when booking the trip to Cancun the flight would take over 8 hours. That was difficult with a 2year old and a 10 year old. Luckily, we brought our portable DVD so the kids were entertained for about 3 hours during the flight. Customs was not bad for us. We arrived on Dec. 12 about 10:30 p.m., so it wasn't busy.

Good points for the hotel:

My 10 year old met lots of friends and pretty much had the run of the hotel. She didn't enjoy the mini club because of her age. It is more suited for children under 8. My 2 year old wasn't fond of the baby club. The staff at the Baby club were great. We would take him at about noon, for lunch and they allowed me to come back at 12:45 so I could nurse him to sleep. When he woke up they would page us, as I requested. It beat having either my husband or myself stay in the room while the baby slept. The activity pool had some great games for both adults, teens and children. My daughter won a limbo contest and receivedd a beautiful painting. I was impressed that they allowed the older children to participate in Karoke, dancing, etc. until around 11, then the bars turned into adult only. The fifties restaurant had the best food. The other great restaurant was the asian one by the activity pool, can't remember the name. The stir fry and sushi was wonderful. As stated before the alcohol is watered down. However, if you get a drink(magarita, pina coloda,etc), ask for a shot on the side. The adult pool is topless, which I found to be fun, plus the alcohol has a little bit more punch to it. I enjoyed the mexican restaurant and the italian restaurant. We are not big meaat eaters, so Waynes Boots we only frequented once. However, the bartender Diego, make the strongest drinks in the place. Although this hotel is all inclusive, the staff make about 12 US dollars per day. If you like the service, please tip them. I tip about 20 dollars to the staff at the baby club for their willingness to let fudge the rules. They don't usually allow parents to stay with your child. However, since I am still nursing, they understood that they would not be able to get hime down for a nap.

A couple complaints:

The seafood restaurant sucked. It wasvery bad. Our balcony light would not work. It took them about 4 days until it was finally fixed. I refused to be in the old tower. I tipped a front desk clerk $5 and also had a tantrum to be placed in the new tower. The rooms are beautiful but when your next door neighbors or the people above wake up, you are also up for good. The floors are tile, so sound carries. I also did not appreciate the vendors that would set up shop in the evenings. They were pushy and the prices were exteremly high comparded to downtown. if you have a duaghter, DO NOT GET HER HAIR BRAIDED ON THE BEACH. The hotel salon does it and it costs 55 US. We went to the flea market Coral Negro, go on the bus route 2 or 1, and we paid 15.00. However, do not go to the first hair place once you get off the bus. Go around to the back of the market, the braids are much smaller and tighter there. As always barter, the hotel salon will not.

As for Cancun in general:

Do not be afraid to take the bus. It is a cultural experience in itself. Go to market 23 or 28 in downtown Cancun and you will find your best bargains. If they won't give you the price you want, walk away, they will run after you. They want your business. Be careful of time shares. If anyone tried to approach us about a tour, etc. we would say, sorry we are leaving tonight. It works wonders. The locals love babies and treat them as if they are gold. By all means take the kids and enjoy. I was disappointed that so many tourists chose to swim with the dolpins. In my opinion it is in humane and paying for such an experience is only perpetuating the cruelty. However, I am from Seattle and we are very known as liberals.

Overall:

I loved the experience, both cultuaral and the opportunity for the kids to see people from many different countries. The staff knew the kids by name and really took an interest in who they were. It was fun. We will return to the hotel if we ever travel that great a distance again. We usually opt for Hawaii, however, Cancun was less expensive.

Reviewed December 22, 2002

Stayed 12/14 - 12/21 and did not want to come back. I was overwhelmed at how amazing this resort was. Anything you could possibly want for breakfast was made to order, lunch included the full buffet, burgers or SUSHI by the pool. Dinner could be at any one of 7 restaurants. All were well above average. The staff was fun and helpful. The activities staff made it fun for adults as well as kids. For anybody that wrote a bad review I would have to say they are probably the boring, crybaby type, that never are happy with anything. But for anybody that wants to eat and drink and have fun 24/7 it is worth it!!!

1  Thank bradv731
Gunnison, CO
Reviewed December 21, 2002

I'll start by saying that I chose this hotel after many hours of research on the net through various travel agencies/sites. I was excited until I read the 3-4 horrendous reviews on this site the day before I left. It made me incredibly nervous and I basically went without expectations. I was incredibly shocked when I arrived. Beautiful, gorgeous, fabulous hotel. Especially for the money I paid. Everything exceeded what I would want in a vacation. The staff was incredible, no complaints. My room was fantastic, overlooking the ocean with a balcony. Didn't spend much time in it, but when I did I loved every minute. I don't really understand what those who hate this hotel so much actually had to complain about. I suppose others have far more money than I and are used to spending a disgusting amount of money on vacation and getting every little thing they desire their entire lives. I am a working class mother of one, this was my first time to Mexico, though I have traveled extensively around the US and in Europe and I will probably never waste my time vacationing anywhere but Mexico again. It was beyond words, just awesome. If you are going there to drink red wine, forget it, the red wine in the hotel is undrinkable. That's my ONLY complaint. Other than that, Corona was just fine for me and if I so desired extra rum in my pina colada, the staff was more than happy to add it or even leave it out altogether for my 6 year old son. Everyone I met there had stayed there before. If it sucked that bad, I doubt people would return. I would go back for sure. I'm a picky eater and I never had a hard time finding something to eat that was absolutely wonderful. I was incredibly sad to leave the Crown Paradise after 7 nights and actually had tears in my eyes as I stepped into the van that took us back to the airport. Feel free to email me for honest feedback, there are a few little knit picky negatives, but you'd find that anywhere. The beach was BEAUTIFUL!!!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member