Paradisus Cancun(Cancun)
$542
$413
Hyatt.com
9,707 results
All reviewswayne's bootsadult poollos galloskids paradisela piazzamechanical bulltrafalgar barfrench restaurantmain poolnew towercovered poolsteakbunk bedszip linegames roomfamily resortchicken wings
Reviewed March 21, 2009

The Real REAL Cancun

Having recently spent some 14 days in beautiful Cancun I ventured on this site to acquaint myself with the naturally wonderful and positive reviews written about my fabulous resort as a sort of reminiscence from our stay. I was, however, dismayed as to the alarming amount of negative reviews almost to the point of feeling personally attacked.

Had the reviewers got it wrong? Perhaps they had somehow misplaced the guilty parties name with my beloved Crown Paradise? Review after review I became unnerved at the trite accusations and allegations. Such as one comment about the bathroom: “Only one person can use it at a time” (as opposed to what, the entire collection of clowns that step out of a Volkswagen beetle)? Or of the nightly entertainment at the in- house theatre: “The nightly shows were a joke, not worth even trying to go to because they were so bad”. Well we must have not seen the same shows for I enjoyed every note sung and every step danced, albeit lip-synced. On the way towards breakfast the next morning I happened to notice that the actors/actresses of the show also held roles of pool announcers, pool aerobics instructors and other miscellaneous positions. The message I’m trying to convey is that these people work all day long, rehearse in the evening and perform a very labour intensive show for well over an hour for our FREE viewing pleasure at night and it’s not the Opera, nor is it trying to be. It is however highly entertaining.

As you can tell we had a pleasant time. All of our issues were addressed promptly. For example: The day we checked in we were given a room we felt was a little loud due to it’s proximity to the perpetually running synthetic waterfall below. We made a call to the front desk and were assured that a remedy to the situation would be available, not THAT very moment (as some seem to think should automatically be the case) but at nine a.m. the next day. No problem, we’re in Mexico what could be worse, right? Try the room we exchanged for! In our new room on the fourth floor, the loudness had been removed but now we had ourselves two double beds versus the one queen and double we had previously. What were we to do? Was this long awaited trip turning to what would inevitably be the most longwinded, gritty, honest review of a hotel that had “only room for one” in the bathroom or of an over- worked staff unable to deliver opera quality performance? Well not quite, as I’ve learnt over the course of my life people get what they ask for. I promptly called back the front desk and voiced my concern over what I felt to be the bedding accommodations of a married couple circa 1950 right down to the night stand in-between beds. Again, my position was understood and to call at nine a.m. the next morning would be in our best interest. Well, let me tell you, persistence is a beautiful thing. On our third and final exchange we went right to the top (literally) and parked ourselves in our swank new seventh floor home with a sweet king sized bed and outstanding ocean view. The only problem we ran into there was the abundance of tenacious ants who had climbed all the way up to our floor and having made a party in our bathroom sink Again, with advancements in technology (i.e. phone) we were able to remedy the situation post haste within minutes.

Note: If you have concerns about the “outdated” décor in the lower-floor suites (which we actually felt were fitting to the overall theme of being in Mexico) simply request a seventh floor ocean-view room as these come equipped with modern furniture and flat screen TVs for all your “comfort away from home” needs.

The food was ample and superb. One large carousel buffet with every imaginable combination of food and beverage item was present. I think the only thing they didn’t offer was chicken covered in chocolate sauce, as they are not that kind of people. Whatever was absent from your wish list you again, just needed to ask the ever-present and most friendly staff (i.e. one morning I was making sandwiches for our day trip and wished for tomato, which was unavailable- I simply had to ask one of the chefs who promptly returned with tomato in hand). Five or six themed restaurants that went by reservation only were also available. I agree with one reviewer that wasn’t the most simple of tasks to book a table. I was surprised to learn this when I decided to call ten minutes to closing reservation time and was informed that we could only be slotted in to a spot close to eight p.m. that evening. Not wanting the same result the next day I took it upon myself to make a call at eight a.m. to assure a spot. This is when I realized what it must feel like for a teenager when they hear a radio DJ announce to their adoring public that the next caller will win Miley Cirus tickets. If anything it made the reservation a game. The worst case I had to choose my own food, put it on my own plate and decide from the fountain drink dispensers- pop or milk? Either way I could live with that and so could the girlfriend. We did make reservations for the Mexican restaurant and it was a BLAST! A mariachi band came in half way through our delightful meal and I thought the windows of the restaurant would BURST from the singer’s awesomely loud voice. The other specialty restaurants, although lacking in mariachi singers were equally stellar in upkeep and food service for the most part.

Our rooms were always spotless after being cleaned. I laughed at the one review about the linen not being cleaned everyday. I cannot imagine the amount of wasted water that would amount to and can only imagine the reviewer’s home where they must make sure that every four hours there is a changing of the sheets. Having spent time in three different rooms on three different floors we got to see the different décor going on. The first and fourth floor rooms were painted a yellow and orange where as the seventh floor had creamy white paint. As for the housekeeping service: On top of making us feel like we were stepping into a brand new room each and everyday with her diligent housekeeping, Petra (the loveliest of maids) also took it upon herself to towel art her way into our hearts. For the duration of our stay we were made a hand towel swan, two swans kissing (necks forming a heart) an elephant, a whale and a doll and if I’m forgetting any other form I apologize Petra, you are amazing. It was definitely “above and beyond” what would be expected.

The girlfriend and I have no kids and we are not exactly your “boozy” type of people. We are both in our twenties. We are a hard to classify lot. At first I felt that perhaps staying at a visibly “child friendly” resort would have a detrimental effect on the overall enjoyment of the stay. This is when I weighed the options: children laughing and playing throughout the day and/or teenagers drinking, drinking and drinking all through the day and night. A tough call indeed, but one needed to be made nonetheless.

The Crown Paradise is awesome. How could a hotel that plays its very own self-titled song during phone call on-holds be anything but?
The beach it houses is just as great. Yes, there is a section 20 feet wide that has scattered rock face jutting out ominously and parents of children or uncertain swimmers should heed any available warning. You should keep in mind that that there most be over a football field of sand lot to choose from. The sand is not hourglass material but not exactly coarse like my face at five p.m. How people manage to make even this an issue makes me throw my arms towards the sky and ask “why”? I mean, it’s CANCUN SAND; it’s like having a hundred dollar bill and saying “it’s not crisp enough”, but I digress.

If on the off chance you aren’t able to secure a beach chair I suggest waiting five minutes or just walk down either way and something will surely come up.

The water is like I’ve read: choppy. It’s like a wave pool. It keeps coming and if you’re into having fun and at least an average swimmer you can venture without any adverse effect on your health, lest you swallow a big ol’ mouthful of seawater.

If that’s not your fancy then there are four or five other pools for all levels of swimmers. The designated “adult” pool was usually occupied with the 40 + age group. I had the feeling of impending skin cancer of many of its overly bronzed patrons and felt more at home in the actual ocean/gulf. The other pools we just walked by as they were mostly an after thought for us.

The hotel was clean and alive each night with market style offerings i.e. bracelets, necklaces, shirts and the likes. They even brought in a donkey for picture purposes (not kidding). My biggest complaint would be I wasn’t pleased with how from the minute you check in you have timeshare people offering you timeshare under the guise of “an information package you mustn’t miss out on” which is completely a lark and easily enough dodged with a polite initial refusal.

I guess the moral of my story is if ever there was an issue needing attention it was promptly addressed like a letter to mom. All that was needed was the person with the problem (me or gf) to voice that exact point. The staff is not trained as mind readers and shouldn’t be condoned for not being able to know your every whim and fancy. If you’re looking for seven star services from a three/ four star resort, you’ll find yourself a few stars short, naturally, but mostly for aesthetic reasons. The service is well above its official rating.

Overall I found myself stretching to complain. The bang we got for our buck was entertainingly loud. We cannot wait to go back to what felt like home away from home and feel confident that others will share this belief provided they aren’t the type who apparently seem to travel for the sake of focusing on things to complain about (because, yes, there will always be things to complain about, even at the Ritz Carlton).

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank bigfernie
Reviewed March 21, 2009

This trip to Crown Paradise Club Resort, Cancun was brilliant! Our Family (2 adults, 2 children aged 7 and 12) went for Christmas 2007 and had a great time. We arrived at the hotel quite early in the day and were tired after a long journey from London, so wanted to go and have a nap in our rooms. But, we were sent to the wrong room by accident that was still being cleaned. We went back down to reception and they sent us to a new room, only to be met with screaming kids next door, so instead we upgraded our room to a family suite. Which was VERY nice. It had 2 floors, 2 bathrooms and 3 beds. Plus, the hotel gave us a big discount for all the hassle caused. After our nap, we went down to the buffet which had some really nice food. The pools were clean, and the kids waterpark was lovely, the kids spent hours in it. The restaraunts had good food, and the kids club was handy when we went to the French Restaraunt, which kids werent allowed in. Overall, this holiday was amazing. There was lots to do outside the hotel - we went to swin with dolphins, went on a sumbarine, went ona pirate ship (which I would reccomend) and went shopping. Buses come regularly outside the hotel and there are usually taxis waiting outside if you need one. There is also great entertainment and as we went for the New Year, we got a new years dinner and party which was great! Me and my family had a brilliant time here and would definetley go again!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank thinkpinkx
Reviewed March 20, 2009

First of all, I have to say this is the very first time my husband and I have been on a vacation without our children, 14 and 12. I knew it was going to be great, I have never been to Cancun before, nor have I stayed at an all inclusive. I did do alot of research before we decided on which and to be honest. I was getting stressed out about picking. What one resort had and one did not. bean. Our sole purpose was to just eat, drink and lay out at the beach. WE did just that. We relaxed every single day and did it at a great place. I know that while researching and after booking, I read some not so great reviews. Well, you will find that you will see some at any resort. I could not have been more satisfied. Our reception was very nice, hung out at the beach/pool and then realized it was time to check in but was having to much fun at the swim up bar. Our room was very nice, had an awesome view. As I am writing this, I wish I was still there. The food was amazing, The beach was just as. Honestly, it is rated as a 3 1/2, and I will never spend more money to stay at anything more then that. As far as I am concerned it was better. Now, there are some areas that need some remodling, but every weekday I was there, their were renovations being done. My husband and I were also celebrating an early 15 year Anniversary. The lady that cleaned our room, went beyond the call of duty. We had a very nice welcome letter waiting for us. Fruit basket and champagne. I know this was part of the room, but one day our maid made a swan out of towels, and layed flower petals on the bed. There was a Happy Anniversary banner over the bed. Yes, we made sure to leave her and everyone else a tip. We always tipped the bartender and beach servers at the beginning and a few times throughout. Not required but much appreciated and derserved. We had such a great time that we plan to do this every February ( great time to go ) and next time we will take our kids. I do not hesitate at all about making reservations here again. As a matter of fact, it is a fun place for kids of all ages...atleast from what I veiwed. I would recomment this resort and I have.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lovethebeach0322
Reviewed March 20, 2009

First of all, I'd like to say that those who write bad reviews may be right on some points, but please read this carefully.
Usually, as I noticed, people who bother to write a rewiew on that website are there to COMPLAIN.
In this review, you'll have the TRUTH. And you have to know I am a very picky and difficult person, and this was not my first time in Cancun.

I went to this resort with my boyfriend. I am 19, and he is 22. Yes, the hotel is perfect for kids, but for couples too, as I had witnessed. The animation is perfectly adapted for both, night and day that is. The staff is very friendly and makes you feel like kings and queens! Each of your desires they'd like to fulfill. The food was simply delicious. Some people say here that it was not quite impressive and very repetitive, BUT THERE IS ONE THING YOU HAVE TO KEEP IN MIND. You are in MEXICO. Don't expect to be eating what you are used to eat at home... For sure, if you limit yourself to the lasagna, pizza, hamburgers and salads in the buffet, you'll find it repetitive. BUT YOU HAVE TO DARE. The mexican food they offer is delicious! Looks strange at first, I agree but you have to
try it ! You're in another country, come on! Every day the buffet is quite different and you have to be clever: if there is oil and balsamic vinegar, make a dip for you bread! What I mean is: be inventive, you have so much food in the main buffet that you can manage to eat something delicious and different everyday.

The ocean is simply breath-taking. The beach is quite narrow, but this is typical to Cancun since the hurricanes of the past 15 years... and when you chose this destination, you have to be aware of this. The choice of the hotel won't affect it. Yes, there is a part of the C.P.C beach that is a bit rocky, but really it is small. The rest of the beach is clear and so beautiful that it was very easy to ignore the rocky part.

The pools are great, especially for the two facing the sea. There is animation there all day long, such as aerobics, yoga, water basketball and other contests of many types. Boredom is not a part of this all-inclusive resort. BUT, there's one little down about the pools and beach. You must be early-risers to be sure you will have chairs. In fact, at 7 A.M, the seats are all taken, especially if you want to avoid places in the sun. So, rise early, put your towels on chairs and go back to sleep for an hour or two if this is what you want!

The shows were great, very entertaining, and they always included the audience as a part of it.

The rooms are very wide and clean, and the furniture might not be of the latest fashion, but it is clean in looks almost new. For the beds, they are very comfy. My boyfriend is always complaning when he sleeps in other beds that his, but I heard nothing from him about the matress or the pillows (which were numerous and very comfortable). In fact, I slept like a baby all weeks long!

For the restaurants À la carte, there are four of them.
The Italian restaurant La Piazza was very good and the place itself is simply charming.
The Mexican restaurant La Palapa I didn't experiment since I wasn't able to have a reservation there (I'll explain later).
The Seafood restaurant Fisherman's was a little deceiving if you want my opinion. But still O.K.
The Steakhouse Wayne's Boots was great. Put a coat on lady's, it's a very cold place. But the ribs are quite good!
The French restaurant Sans Soucis was definitly the best one. We went twice. The Soupe à l'oignon gratinée is really good, such as the other plates on the menu (we went twice). The service is particullarly great.
So these are the restaurants you need a reservation for. ***TIP: call at least two or three days BEFORE the night you want to go there, because you might end up eating at the buffet (which is not too bad anyways).

For the entertainement, well, in a week you don't have time to experiment i all! Waterslides, 4 pools, jacuzzis, mini-golf, volley and tennis courts, golf court (free!), shows, contests, and I'm surely forgetting something. All the family will be happy at the C.P.C!

The bars are great places to be. The Lobby bar is quite crowdy at night, so if you want to relax, go to the Trafalgar, which is always calmer.
Don't forget there's free roomservice 24hrs, which was great!!!

To conclude this (long) review, I have to say that I had an incredible week at the C.P.C, and I would recommend this hotel to families, couples, and friends of any ages. Maybe it's a bit noisy for elderly people tho, and the night life is too calm for springbreakers, but trips to the bars in Cancun City are organised by the hotel everynight, so you wouldn't be bored.

This place is paradise, the temperature was perfect and ... girls... they're at least 4 or 5 shops in the hotel! I personnaly got a beautiful ring at 60% of the price... so I tell you: check them out!

One last thing: DON'T TAKE TAXIS! Take the bus. It's easy and cheap. About 50 cents a ride. There are two bus lines: One coming from the hotel zone towards the shopping malls, clubs, city etc. and one coming back from there to the hotels. So it's impossible to get lost! And there's a bus about every 2 or 3 minutes...!

I hope this will help you make your choice, and remember: people who give bad reviews are complainers who focus on the little details. I tell you, I am a quite fancy girl, and this was not my first trip in Cancun.
I know what I'm taling about, trust me!

Have nice vacations!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
8  Thank CanadaVanessa
Reviewed March 20, 2009

My family (wife and two kids 9, & 6) spend six days at the resort recently. We found a great deal online and decided to try it out. The other reviews here were very helpful. The staff was friendly and seemed to have a good time, especially those in charge of activities and entertainment.
We were on the fifth floor, facing North. Rooms were sufficient but nothing extraordinary.
At the Palapa buffet, sit in Raul and Pedro's section outside if you can. They were very nice, attentive and helpful. A small tip goes a long way.
I really enjoyed that all food and drinks were included which made it easy for the kids. The buffett had a tremendous variety and selection to please everyone. The little outdoor grill by the pool also has great wings, burgers and fries. The line starts early and gets long.
I was really disappointed with the food in the restaurants we tried (Los Gallos, The Fisherman and Wayne's boots). Honestly, i thought the buffett was better but it may have been what i ordered-although my wife was not impressed either.
The kids area is great, they were very safety/security conscious and made sure the kids did not leave the area without a parent.
Beach area was a great size and having a bar (beer only) down there was a nice treat. I know everyone says bring a big cup, but their small cups also help make sure you pace yourself. I would suggest water bottles for the kids more than cups.
We were disappointed with the 'kayak, paddling, sailbout' part that was included. YOu have to take a short bus ride to Aqua world and go around the bay a bit. It was ok, but a bit of a let dow. They also have motorized sports which i guess is what they hope you will do once you get there.
The evening shows for the kids were also pretty good and again, the staff was very into them.
All around i think it was a great bargain and would recommend going to this location. It's about 2 hours away from Tulum and Chichen Itza. We opted to rent a car there at the hotel (pretty good deal) and drive to Tulum ourselves. They now have steps that take you down to the beach, which was the highlight for the kids.
The wi-fi they offered was VERY expensive, in case you need that but the layout of the pools, hotel, lobby, bars, etc. was very good.
Don't forget, they have free room service 24x7 and you can order breakfast in your room in advance too.
Don't get too excited about the 'mini golf' or zip line. The mini golf is is one large area with holes separated by concrete waslls. No windmills or clown mouths here...and some greens had more than one hole..?
The zip line is that-one line from a to b. It was great for kids as a first time to try it. My son really enjoyed playing on the kids' soccer field a lot, along with the water slides in the same section it was nice to spend a few hours there.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family