“Absolutely amazing holiday”

Ranked #58 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely amazing holiday”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Me and my boyfriend aged 19 and 21 stayed at the Crown Paradise for two and a half weeks in the first half of July. We arrived at the hotel after the check in time of 3pm so did not have to wait and were shown to our rooms immediately. During our stay we did see long lines particularly on the weekend but the hotel did the best they could and provided champagne and cold towels. For those arriving before 3pm there is a large air conditioned waiting room next to the reception with toilets, showers and changing rooms to wait in and you are also allowed to check in your luggage with the bell boy and it is stored in the luggage room if you want to walk around the resort and have something to eat. Our room was a standard double room on the 7th floor and I was honestly rather worried before seeing our room because of numerous bad reviews that I had read. However, we entered the room and drew back the curtains to see the beautiful view and the room had absolutely nothing to complain about. The room was very spacious and very clean, it was cleaned every day by the maid unless we put out a do not disturb sign all day - if we took the sign off later in the day she would always return.

We had a very comfortable king size bed (not hard at all as some people had said) and if you still find it too hard they provide one of those soft foam layers that go on top of your mattress. The air con was very good in our room and had no problems whatsoever, at times it even got too cold so we had to turn the temperature up a bit. At night we always turned it up to 20 degrees, but one night forgot to do so and I woke up with a very bad cough so beware of this. There is sometimes a humid smell that comes from the air con but we opened the balcony door and it did not bother us. With how hot Cancun is, air con is absolutely essential as it is constantly humid so if your air con is not working well upon arrival I would definitely urge you to change rooms as soon as possible. The room also comes with a large flat screen TV which has lots of English channels, one channel in particular is always showing films which we found very handy for any nights we wanted to stay in. There is a coffee maker so if you are a coffee lover you can bring your own coffee although they do provide coffee free of charge but we did not try this so cannot comment on how good it is. There is a safe in each room of which you are given the key to at check in, it is rather large and we used it a lot. One day I forgot my phone on the bed and when we came back there was a note from the maid telling us we should use the safe. The bathroom was nice, had a bathtub and as usual soaps/shampoo/creams and many towels were provided. The balcony was of decent size, with a table and two chairs - if there is none in your balcony you can request for these to be brought up. I would say the main thing I would improve about the rooms is that there is no fridge in the standard rooms, there is an ice bucket in each room and ice machines on each floor which does keep your drink cold but the ice melts rather quickly and the bucket is rather small. Room service does deliver cold water but nearing the end of our stay the bottles were always warm so I would specifically request cold water. Other that that room service was very good and we used it many times. There was a selection of salads, soups and meals such as burgers, hot dogs, chicken nuggets and sandwiches all served with chips. There was also deserts such as cheesecake, chocolate cake and ice cream and drinks such as coke and sprite. It usually took around 40 mins to come up to your room but we called them when we got into our room and by the time we had taken our showers there wasn't much to wait. For breakfast you are provided with a menu which you tick off your order and hang on your door before 3am to have your breakfast delievered to you at your specified time the next morning. This is lovely as you can eat in your balcony while facing the ocean.

For food, there is a lot of choice in the resort. The main place to eat is the buffet which has a very large selection of food. For breakfast there are different stations that make food according to your order such as omelettes and smoothies. Pancakes and waffles are also made every morning and there are a selection of sauces such as caramel syrup, golden syrup, honey and peanut butter. Other than this there are other normal breakfast foods such as sausages, bacon, chips, hash browns, a variety of veg and much more. There is also a selection of yoghurt for breakfast and a very large bread selection where you can either choose whichever loaf you want and cut it for yourself or use the bread slices provided to toast. For lunch and dinner the buffet changes round and there are different stations such as meat, pasta, quesadillas and pancakes for desert. The pasta station lets you choose the type of pasta, sauce and ingredients you want added, or you can do the same for a pizza if you don't fancy any of the pre made pizza slices. I would definitely recommend the quesadillas which you can also add any ingredients to but we liked it best with just cheese. The pancake station was great as you could add any fruit and any sauce to your pancake - banana and peanut butter was amazing. Other than these stations there is always other foods that are not made to order such as meats, potato based foods, vegetables etc, and with every meal there is always a section of the buffet with salad and fruits. This section has literally every salad ingredient you can think of including sauces and I would definitely recommend trying the fruits as they were extremely tasty. For lunch and dinner there is always a selection of deserts with many different types of cake, jelly and biscuits. There are drinks machines in the buffet with coke, fanta, sprite, cold water, orange juice, milk, chocolate milk and there is hot chocolate and porridge in the mornings. There are many seats both indoors and out and there is also an adults only area.

Other than the buffet there are many restaurants in the resort. You can reserve your first 2 dinners via email before your arrival but after this you need to call up from 8am to 4pm to book the following days reservation. A lot of people complained online about this but we had no problem as the call was always answered quickly and we were always given a place even when we phoned as late as 3pm. On the day that you have reserved you need to pick up your reservation card from reception after 8am, but we were going on a trip one day and they were fine with giving them out before this time. We only went to three of the restaurants during our stay - the steakhouse, the Italian and the Mexican. I do wish that we had tried all of them while we were there but it was just due to our own laziness that we did not reserve places. I would highly recommend the Italian, we went there twice and both the pasta and steak were very nice as was the selection of breads you are given as a starter. The Mexican was also very nice but for some reason the restaurant was very cold. The steakhouse was our least favourite as the steak was not very flavoursome and was well done no matter how you asked for it to be cooked. Also, every hour people are allowed to ride the mechanical bull which is fun and all but it gets annoying when you are trying to have your meal and there is a man shouting down the microphone and the music is so loud you can't hear your partner. If you are planning to go to the French restaurant which is said to be the best it is adults only and men need to be wearing trousers and proper shoes so pack accordingly. All other restaurants say 'suitable footwear' but everyone wears flip flops.

The ocean in Cancun is lovely but it can be very rough. There are plenty of sunbeds throughout the day and if you want shade there are sunbeds with umbrellas. There are quite a few vendors but if you politely decline they are not pushy at all. We spent the first few days at the beach and then moved on to the adult pool. This has a bar and light music and is much much less crowded than the main pool. We actually did not use the main pool at all so I cannot comment much on it but it seemed good fun for families, always had music and activities going on with a lot of entertainment but it was just a bit too loud for us. Next to the main pool are two childrens pools which seem good as one is slightly deeper for older children while the other is rather shallow for younger children. There is a bar and two food stations next to the pool, one with food such as burgers, hot dogs and chips and the other is oriental with Chinese and Indian foods. The towel station where you get your towels is also located here - each person gets a towel card at check in and you exchange it for your towel. However we brought our own towels for convenience and only used the hotel towels if our ones were still wet.

There are activities to do on the resort such as mini golf, tennis and ping pong and there is a show every night. The kids club looks very good as they have activities running throughout every day. For excursions we used the guy in the lobby and went to Xel Ha and Xcaret. I would definitely recommend both of these places but especially Xel Ha which was simply breathtaking. It is a natural ecological park where you are given snorkelling gear and swim inches away from dozens of different fish. Bring a waterproof camera! For any excursions please please use insect repellent - we didn't reapply after getting out of the water and we each had more than 30 bites on us when we returned. If you book Xel Ha through the hotel guys be aware that you are not taken directly there - you are taken to a bus station where you do a transfer. This is not told to you when booking and isn't the best of things to find out at 7am on the day of the trip.

We also went to Isla Mujures which was one of if not the best day of our holiday. You take the ferry across to this island and can rent a golf cart to drive around which is extremely fun. However if you are not a confident driver it takes a little getting used to as you are driving among general traffic with cars and motorbikes. On this island we went to a turtle farm where we saw turtles and their eggs that were waiting to hatch - for $2 entry this was a great experience and it really helps as it all goes towards maintaining the turtles. Other than this we got some souvenirs and went to the beach which was very calm.

There are a range of clubs in Cancun, we went to Senor Frogs on a UV night and had a good time even though we aren't big clubbers. The clubs are really good as you only pay one entrance fee and then there is a free bar. This particular place did have a lot of young people who would have been at oldest 15, I don't know if this is the norm for Cancun but if we were big clubbers I know this would have been annoying.

Transport wise, Cancun has the easiest transport I have ever seen in my life. Outside the hotel you can catch the bus R1 or R2 (no need to walk to the stop as they stop anywhere) and it costs only a few peso or 1 dollar if you want to pay in dollars. La Isla is the main shopping mall and is only a 10 min ride and has lots of souvenir shops, restaurants such as Hooters and McDonalds and Starbucks and also free WiFi! The hotel doesn't have free WiFi but you don't go to Mexico to sit on Facebook so can't complain, any e-mails we needed to send or receive we just did so when we found free WiFi. There is also an aquarium where you can swim with dolphins. Even better is Market 28 which is the locals market where you can get beautiful handmade souvenirs and gifts for very low prices. You take the R2 and when you get off turn right, but keep walking for around 10 minuets to get to the real Market 28. Along the way many people tell you that this is Market 28 and there are even signs saying Market 28 but you will know when you see the real Market 28 - it is on the left side of the road through a car park. We found a shop called oxxo and there are many of these in mexico which are basically like Tesco express - if you are going to buy cigarettes definitely buy them from here as they are 40 peso which is £2 compared to 78 peso in the hotels shop.

Overall I would really recommend this hotel and Cancun in general, anyone going there is going to have an amazing time. I really don't understand why people complain so much about this hotel and it seems like they are just waiting to find something to complain about. If you go expecting a good time then you will have a good time, for those that go being picky about every little thing then they bring it upon themselves to not enjoy their holiday.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
23 Thank riveryucs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,397)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Food on the buffet was same every day, and not well cooked. Chicken was always dry where ever you ate. highlight of the buffet was the pancakes, and the deli sandwiches. Sushi house was ok, but very small pieces of fish in the rolls. They would cut some sashimi if asked. The staff was fairly pleasant. They have guides that are supposed to help you out and show you around. Very friendly (my new best friend for the week), on the first day, and tell you they can offer you big discounts on all extra activities. Beginning day 2, they offer you a 90 minute time share breakfast with all the coupons. When I politely declined, I never saw my new ex-best friend again who was going to help me get things through the week. I had booked a family ocean view suite as I had 2 adults and 3 kids. I was put into a room that had 2 double beds. Then they said they would bring a roll away at no extra charge. I kept trying to get my room upgraded as they told me when I booked that I could not book that standard room with 5 people. I was on the 5th floor and the first night the music and games in the lobby were so loud, it sounded like it was coming from my bathroom. Finally got put into a room further away, but it was still old, dated, and beds were horribly uncomfortable and all rooms smelled musty. There was a hotel just north of the Crown Paradise that looked destroyed by the hurricane. It looked like a condemned site and detracted from the view a bit. The seafood and Mexican restaurants were the best. Steakhouse was not so good, not the Italian one. The kids activities were virtually non existent. The rock climbing wall and zip line were only open from 9a-11a and they only had 2 people working the entire thing, so it took my 3 kids literally 1.5 hours to go up the wall and down the zip line 1 time. As soon as one goes up, they close the rock wall and send them down the zip and repeat the process. The first 2 days it was cloudy and windy and they closed all those activities as well as the shuttle to the non motorized watersports, and the kids play area. never saw anyone doing any structured kids activities and the adult pool activities lasted maybe 20 minutes. The Hotel contracted the non motorized water sports with Aqua World over in the lagoon as the hotel was on the east side of the island and the waves were too large for these things. They would bus you over, but the return trip was not included!!!?? It was a 3km walk back to the hotel if you did not want to ride the city bus or take a taxi. They only had 2 Hobbie Cat sailboats, kayaks, and paddle boats to use, and only for 30 minutes at a time. They wouldn't let you try the wind surfers unless you had experience. had to pay extra for a lesson. There was no beach at the lagoon. Had high hopes for this family vacation, but they were left at the check in desk.

Room Tip: corner rooms are quieter. first floor rooms if near a restaurant will smell of the food being cooked...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank aaron W
Elena A, Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Aaron,

Thank you very much for taking the time for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the hotel. We are sorry to hear that we didnt live up to your expectations. I will be sharing your comments with the corresponding departments, as our main interest is that all our clients have a very memorable experience.
In reference to Aquaworld Marina, we offer this as an added value so that our guests have activities on and off property.

Once again thank you, as guest comments are appreciated to improve areas of opportunity or continue our good work.

Elena A
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed 7 nights at this resort for the second time and I must say it was still as good as the first time. Staff are super friendly and very hard working. Kids club and teen club was great for the kids while we enjoyed our privacy.

Hola Sharad,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your second visit to Crown Paradise Cancun, especially your comments regarding our kids activities, I will share with the staff and I'm sure it will please them greatly.

We would love nothing more than to see you a third time... be sure to let us know if you do.

Elena
Watford
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic holiday had by party of 7 consisting of 5 adults 1 teen & a girl of 11. The people in Cancun are really friendly & not at all pushy trying to sell you trips etc. This hotel is brilliant and the food choice is great. The only thing that could have made it a bit better would be for it to have an evening bar outside. We will definitely visit again.

2 Thank Pauline H
Jaki J, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Pauline H,

Thank you for taking the time in posting. I am glad to hear that you were able to visit us and that you had a wonderful time with your family. Yes we do offer great packages of all types so that families are able ou to visit us year after year. We hope to see you again soon.

Best wishes

Sincerely
Jaki Jamieson
Social Media Coordinator
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I must say at check in I was mpressed with the lobby and the staff. I was greeted with cold towels to wash My face on arrival. Our room was not quite ready yet so we were invited to enjoy the amenities that included the poolside entertainment and the buffet. The atmosphere was promising with a lot of energy and a very clean pool area with plenty of seating.
The food on the buffet is very average. We were not
able to make reservations for dinner that evening because the reservations were closed at the time. You are allowed to make reservations from 8 AM to 1400 hrs. Also be warned if you are traveling in a large group you will not get to sit together. I will say the waitstaff did their best at trying to seat us In close proximity to each other But we're not allowed to move or push tables together. We had a group of six adults and six
children. I will say the food in the restaurant was better (not hard to do)
than the food on the buffet and the servers were great.

And then things pretty much got
worse. Checking into our room it had a heavy musty moldy smell
The other members of our party
Noted the same smell in their room as well. The rooms appeared clean smelled otherwise and very dated.

The drinks were extremely weak sometimes questioning whether or not there was any alcohol in
them at all. It was also very difficult to get served. Finding staff to bring you drinks was not an easy task.

I did find that they did do a great job at keeping the beach clean. There was constantly staff down
at the beach picking up glasses,papers, trash. etc. Every morning they raked the seaweed up And there was always plenty of seating.
I would like to note that the staff always appear to be working very very hard and were friendly
However the good did not outweigh the bad and I will
will not be staying again.

2 Thank JodyAnnn
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We recently stayed for two weeks. The hotel itself was decent always something to do especially for kids. The service was aweful though. We had money stolen out of our safety deposit box. Partly my fault I hid the key in my personal belongs thinking that the cleaning staff do not search trhough my stuff. Well I was wrong and they stole 670.00. I filed my report and all they could say was next time take your key... I definatley will not be putting my money into this place knowing they have thieves that work there. they checked us out 1 week early and locked us out of our room several times.. Also our first room was dangerous the balcony door was broken and we were afraid it would fall. Cleaning people refolded dirty towels and put on rack. Disgusting..... and dishonest people.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel or you will get stuff stolen and your personal belongings will be snooped...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Carla D
Covington, Louisiana
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The location is perfect, the resort is stunningly beautiful, the service can't be beat! Their chicken wings at the beach bar are scrumptious & the many restaurants serve great food with a lot of variety. Also their is so much else to see & do that you really need one week minimum.
I am really hoping to go back. Great place for kids of all ages too!

Room Tip: Center building if possible on the 6th or 7th floor. However most room have a beautiful view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank JeffnTerry
Dear JeffnTerry,

What a short but wonderful review!! Thank you very much for taking the time to tell others reading Tripadvisor of our amazing staff and amenities. I am delighted that you had a great time and will be returning if possible.

Hope to see you soon

Jaki Jamieson
Social Media Coordinator
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
GR Caribe by Solaris
GR Caribe by Solaris
#25 of 175 in Cancun
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Crown Paradise Club Cancun? Share your experiences!