“2 weeks, most good days but...........”

Crown Paradise Club Cancun
Ranked #59 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“2 weeks, most good days but...........”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Just got back from the CPC me and the husband decided to enjoy 2 weeks away without the kids. When we arrived we were offered an upgrade for 70 dollars per night! We decided against this and checked into room 1529. The room was of a good size with 2 beds, tv, shower OVER the bath but NO fridge I found this really poor (I've read the replies from the hotel over this issue but you should have a fridge in your room especially in the heat of Cancum!!!,). The booking system for your restaurants was ridiculous the phone was engaged CONSTANTLY taking upto 35 minutes to arrange your meal for the next night!!!.

Our room was cleaned daily and the maid was pleasant. It was on our 6th night that we decided to upgrade and paid an extra 335.00 pounds to go into block 2 room 2821, this was SOOOO much better, the bed was massive separate shower and toilet, a concierge was available in the club lounge on the 8th floor who booked our tables for the evening meal for us (we just told her where we wanted to eat and a rough time and she done the rest).

Breakfast was served in the lounge also which was nice as the main restaurant was full of screaming unruly kids, going crazy with all the E numbers in the cereals and parents who basically didn't care what their "cherubs" do as they were on holiday/vacation. The main pool was full of young children who spent their time throwing food/snacks everywhere. The staff did work really hard to clean up but it must have felt like they were painting the San Francisco bridge!!, birds were flying about All over the pool area to get the food/snacks that were thrown away, this is despite a notice saying people cannot take food outside however this was ignored. The activities in the pool always felt like it was the Olympics with groups shouting USA,USA if an American was participating (it appeared really competitive at times).

We spent all our times around the adult only pool however this became quite slimy and very very warm. I did mention it to the concierge and it was cleaned however I think the pool man has his work cut out with the main pool that the adult one is given a quick once over and left to its own devices!!! As I've said the lounge on the 8th floor of block 2 was a god send as only people who had purple wrist bands on and no children were allowed.

At times I felt I was on a club 18-30 holiday as a very large wedding party arrived (approx 56 adults and children) and about 15-20 of the adults descended on the pool and caused what can only be described as chaos, they were sat ON the bar throwing cocktails into the pool when they didn't like the taste and throwing an American football quite violently around the pool hitting tables, sun beds, sunbathers etc..... Now don't get me wrong I'm not a boring old fart BUT we were in Mexico not Ibiza/Magaluff (which is usual behaviour there). The management did NOTHING to address this issue and the reply from the barman who was serving them the drinks was "they're on holiday enjoying themselves" which is fine BUT their enjoyment went beyond the line of common courtesy and disregard for fellow holiday makers.

The Trafalgar bar was like an oven it was so so so hot every night this was despite the "air conditioning". The main lobby bar was ok. We didn't go into the nightclub as it smelt really musty and damp. The food was good but repetitive (main restaurant) we visited all the speciality restaurants and my favourite was the French .......least was funnily enough the Mexican!! If I can give anyone a tip if you can afford it UPGRADE it was when we done this that we felt the holiday really started.

I know it sounds like I've really given a bad review and i really don't want to sound like I've moaned all the way through but it was spoiled a little by other peoples selfish drunken behaviour which could have been addressed by the management/barman even, however it is a good hotel it's just the management really need to get a grip of unruly/disrespectful guests and look after the majority of their guests as I'm sure people who holiday here want a relaxing break without the fear of a drunken lout wanting to take a pop at you just for the hell of it.

1 Thank janmac9971
Jaki J, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear janmac9971,

Thank you for taking the time in posting. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the majority of your stay with us. Please accept my apologies that some of the guests did not behave themselves properly and that the matter was not dealt with promptly as we are a family resort and would like guests to act accordingly. This will be mentioned to management for their review. Thank you for all the positive and constructive comments as this will give us the opportunity to improve daily.

We do hope you will return in the future.

Social Media Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,397)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Liverpool
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Where do i start?? first of all DONT book this hotel.
We moved to this hotel thinking this hotel would be better from the one we were ment to be staying in and how wrong were we. We had a lovely view from our room but the room was not the best. You could barely Open and close the balcony. Both me & My boyfriend had to Open and close the Balcony door together as it was that bad. The noise early hours in the morning is disgusting, I understand people are on holiday but why on earth would you let your kids run up and down corridors screaming and shouting and slamming doors at 3am in the morning please??? If your standing in just a standard room ya dont get a fridge, ya dont get bottles of water unless you order room service which takes hours. Food was ok, Wasnt the best. My boyfriend never ever gets poorly, weve travelled to quite a few places and for 3 full days he could not get out of bed, he was really sick, Couldnt even keep water down! The atmosphere in the hotel is horrible! The Bar staff would rather just serv the mexican's and Americans. Even though you have been standing there longer they will serv them first and blank you. The pools are ok, The Adults one was the best. The adults bar is nice, but they barely put the Air con on so quite a few people were taking ill because of the heat in there. Reserving tables at the restuarents is a joke. I tryed a couple of times to get in any of the restuarents and they kept telling me No! i went to conceige and she just looked at me blank and said phone. I eventually went the rep who took me to the phone by the conceige ( baring in mind the woman on the desk in conceige didnt tell me about this). The rep managed to get us a table for the same day and next day, Which was the mexican and waynes boots. There was spaces free as when we went to both restuarents there was only a few tables people were sitting on, yes the woman on the phone kept telling me No! Wouldnt really rate the food...Breakfast was the best as alls i ate was bagels.Av travelled to Turkey quite a few times and stayed in 2/3 stars and these are defiantly better than the Crown paradise. I would defiatnly not return to this hotel..Feel free to message for anymore infomation you need to know that i may of missed off!

Room Tip: If you have booked to go Try and upgrade to a Club Room as you will get a fridge, bottles of water a...
1 Thank LiverpoolHayley
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Just back from a great holiday in Crown Paradise Cancun with my fiancé.
Check-in - waited around 15-20 minutes as we were being overtaken by Spanish speaking people who the hotel staff seemed happier to assist than ourselves. However had a nice cocktail given to us while waiting. Not the most friendly of reception staff but most other staff were great throughout the stay. Asked if we could upgrade to the club rooms for one night only and told it would be $56 if cash, $70 by card but they changed their mind the next day we went to book it and said no, $70 so we had the standard room all week which was very plain but clean (requested tower 2 - the newest block). Worst thing about rooms was the noise from neighbours!! We had an adjoining door so heard every conversation and a baby crying all night so no privacy.
Room service was great! No qualms.
Food in Italian and steakhouse restaurants were delicious. Snack bar was ok but same food every day (burgers/hotdogs/fries) and Japanese buffet was average. Main buffet building was the best for variety for breakfast and lunch. Drinks at pool bar seemed a little watery and you need to tip if you want a better service apparently.
Entertainment was great in main pool in the afternoon for kids and adults. Lots of things to do for kids throughout the hotel. Didn't see much nightly shows but seemed pretty good too. Location of hotel is fine as there is a cheap 24 bus that goes up n down the hotel zone, 15mins to get you to coco bongos/shopping malls etc. Also cant complain about the gorgeous beach on the doorstep.
Therefore, a few small complaints about my experience but more good points than anything so I would recommend the hotel to couples and families but I will try somewhere else next time. Good for the star rating.

• Stayed June 2013
San Ramon, California
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We had book 2 ocean view rooms for 10 days. When we arrived the room they gave us very filthy! It had a very bad stench of mildew and had cockroaches in the room. We asked for bottled water in our room and it took 2 hours to deliver. The pool closes at 7:30pm and the beach was is recommended for swing due to very strong currents and rip tides. The alcoholic drinks were VERY watered down and the only way to get a decent drink was to tip the bartenders and also the food was horrible. Lastly the resort is located pretty far from any shopping malls or any activities. If you're thinking about staying at Crowne Paradise, do yourself a favor and research the hotels with the best beaches and Crowne will rank at the bottom. We left after only staying 1 night and ended up at the Presidente. What a difference! I highly recommend against this resort, especially if you have a family.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank A M
Jaki J, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear AM,

I would like to first thank you for sharing your experience with us. Your comments help us to find areas for opportunity of improvement so we can continue to offer improved service to our guests.

I would also like to apologize on behalf of the Crown Paradise Club, we are sorry you did not enjoy your experience at our hotel. Did you mention to our staff that you saw a cockroach in your room as this is not the norm as you can see with previous post here on Tripadvisor

I do feel I must add that Crown Paradise does has one of the best beaches and views in Cancun as we are located next to Playa Delfines. At times it may be windy but that is something that is not under our control and the situation will be similar at any hotel in Cancun.

I apologies that after only one night, you felt the need to leave. If given the opportunity, you may have seen that Crown Paradise has a lot to offer and is the reason our guests return year after year. We have an extensive food menu, with numerous restaurants, relaxing spa, gym, nightly theater shows, Amazing Kids club, Baby club, etc…. too many things to list and not to leave out our staff. We are very well known as you can see by comments left by previous guests for our top quality team.

Again thank you for posting and best wishes on all your future travels..wherever they may be

Reviewed June 29, 2013

The most outstanding thing about this resort is how hard working the staff are - I have never seen staff work so hard. They are up early keeping the beach and hotel clean and continue tending to guests every need until very late at night.
The buffet food has something for everyone:
Breakfast - Pancakes, full English, cereal, omelette station, smoothie station, Mexican breakfast station, fruit, all the bread you can imagine and lots of different pastries.
Lunch - Italian (we just grabbed a slice of pizza every time we walked through) salad bar, sandwhich/toastie station, Mexican, french fries, burgers, hot dogs, rice, pasta, chicken, pork, beef, fish.
Dinner - Same as lunch but different food and a crepe station for afters.Lots and lots to chose from and all delicious.

The speciality restaurants are all lovely - the Mexican is a lot of fun with huge and delicious margaritas of all different flavours and a Mexican band. The Italian was nice. The French was very romantic with outstanding presentation of food. We didn't go to Wayne's Boots steakhouse as there was steak in the buffet every night for the other half (and I do n't eat meat anyway) The Fisherman's restaurant was our favourite meal of the whole holiday - go there and try the shrimp sautéed in Cognac - Delicious!
The only thing about all the speciality restaurants is that they have nothing for vegetarians - eating fish I was all right as there was always a fish option. However if you are a vegetarian you may have to stick to the buffet. All the restaurants have their menu outside at night so you can always go and have a look if there is anything for you.
The only hassle we had was our reservations for the restaurants - You have to phone up the morning of the day before you wish to go. There is only one woman doing all the reservations so sometimes she gets it wrong. Sometimes she forgets to mention you must pick up your confirmation card before 4pm the day of your reservation so make sure you have your confirmation card. We had one incident where we had reserved the French restaurant for our second night via email and it was not written down when we got there. A second incident was when we turned up for the Italian only to find out our reservation was actually for the next day which the reservation lady didn't tell us. However the friendly man at the front desk arranged for us to eat at the Mexican that night which was a lovely dinner! Also, if you change rooms, the minute you check out of one room all the reservations for dinner under that room number are cancelled so make sure you transfer them over. This was our third incident, we had a reservation for Wayne's Boots on the night we changed rooms but it was cancelled because we had technically checked out.

There is always entertainment around the main pool - belly flop competitions, underwater swimming competitions, water football, volleyball, basketball, polo etc, kayak races in the pool, water zumba. BBQs at the poolside shack and sometimes paella or fajitas cooked by a chef beside the pool. However this pool is for families and kids - If you are a group of adults or a couple you must check out the adults only pool on the 1st floor. Peaceful and relaxed with a swim up bar and jacuzzi tubs. An additional bonus is that because it is behind the building you do not get any wind - only sun so on a particularly windy day this pool is wonderful.

Buying gifts for family - Hop on a bus outside the hotel (1$ USD each) and get off when you see a yellow Mexican Outlet store on your left. This little shopping centre is the cheapest for souveneirs. The Mexican outlet itself is more expensive but as you go through the mall things get much cheaper. Also - haggle! We bought our 4 year old Nephew a Mexican football kit for 12 $ original price was 60 $ !

We upgraded to a Crown Club room half way through the holiday and the benefits were 100% worth it. The Crown Club lounge for breakfast is amazing, sea view, relaxing music and the quality of food is so much better than the buffet breakfast. One day they even had eggs Benedict. Additionally extra benefits that come with the Crown Club room - you can book your dinner reservations with the concierge in the club lounge which saves you calling up in the morning. You get a free lunch cruise on the lagoon which is hosted by a party rep - lots of adult games, shots if you get the question wrong! Everybody had a good time on the party boat. Lastly with the upgrade you get a gourmet romantic meal with champagne on a night of your choice. We had this on our last night and it was lovely. The truffles for desert were beautiful. Additionally, the jacuzzi in your room you get with the upgrade is such a luxury. You can sit and watch TV whilst in a lovely, hot, deep jacuzzi bath and a beer from room service- amazing.

Tipping- although this is an all inclusive, tipping gets you a long way. We tipped about 10$ a day. Standard tip is 1$ for your waiter at breakfast and lunch. We tipped 2 or 3 $ at dinner and 1$ to the bar man at the adults pool and maybe another dollar for the room service. You find you can get through a lot in one day just from tipping as the staff are always doing everything they can to help you so be frugal with your tipping.

The only thing they don't tell you is about the beach. Green flag means you can swim in the sea, yellow means be careful and red means do not swim. The whole 10 days we were there, there was no green flag. Our rep said it was red flag most of the time. The sea is choppy, dangerous and very strong. Be very careful of letting your children go into the sea.

Night clubs - clubbing in Cancun is very very expensive. You cannot bar crawl. You pay about 60-70$ for entry to a club with an open bar. If you leave you cannot re-enter and if you go to another club you have to pay another 60$ to gain entry. On top of Taxi money - it can quickly turn into a very expensive night.

We had a really lovely holiday and absolutely loved the 24 hours access to food. Just walking through the buffet to get from one tower to the other, we found ourselves grabbing a slice of pizza or a hot dog! The speciality restaurants are lovely and the staff are amazing. We had a wonderful time and just once more- make sure you try the shrimp in Fisherman's restaurant! Also, taking a walk on the beach at night is beautiful, especially if there is a full moon. One evening when we were sitting under the moon, a huge sea turtle came up onto the shore. Apparently they come to shore to lay their eggs around this time of year so keep an eye out.

Room Tip: Tower 1 has music in the lobby at night which can be heard from your room. Tower 2 is quieter and n...
5 Thank AlissAndRodney
Jaki J, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear AlissAndRodney,

I would like to offer you heartfelt thanks of behalf of the Crown Paradise Cancun for taking the time to write such a detailed and wonderful review on TripAdvisor.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed stay! We are proud to help our guests have a memorable vacation experience and we sincerely hope that you return in the future!

Best wishes

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2013

we went there in dec for our family vacation, when we arrived no room!! told to go to buffet and come back for tour,,no tour ,,no room. finally got our room above the bar. Had booked ocean view and quiet location as we were with a child. Told to come back next day, did and no one at the front desk wanted to help us. Sent to another tower of the propery and the room was under construction, only a bed and wires out of the wall. Went back and was told if i wanted peace and quiet thats all they could do, told to come back after lunch.. went back and met another couple from regina with 2 small children, same story!! the ocean view we had faced the ruins from the hurricane in 2006. wasted 2 days getting a room.
the rooftop pool and hottub is adults only, not stated in the brochure. When we went for boogie boards and snorkel gear,,no surprize,,none,,waterslide area only open half the time..mini golf is very poor, no high tea as advertised. the ala carte restaurants only open sometimes, and the food is exactly the same in all 5, just different names,,buffet the same everyday, every meal. this resort is advertised as a 4or 4.5 stars..dont be fooled..the service is horrilbe. staff are not very helpful. rooms are outdated and dirty..do yourself a favor DONT USE THIS RESORT!!!

Room Tip: the 3 rooms we had were not great, the one facing the pool had a view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank kittykat1127
Dear kittykat1127

I would like to apologize on the behalf of Crown Paradise Club Cancun that our services and attention did not fulfill your expectations during your recent stay with us. I would have loved for you to experience the true spirit of our hotel while making fantastic vacation memories. If you would like to contact me directly, I would like to discuss the issues in regards to the room allocations.

I would like to comment on the food and staff as to not mislead readers. All restaurants are opened daily, except for one and the food items are French, Italian, Seafood, Mexican, Steak, etc…. and cannot be the same food for the same restaurant . Our Palapas buffet has an extensive menu that changes daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not to mention we also have sushi, Juice bar, Omelette made to order, burger and hot dog station, etc….

In regards to our staff. A recurring comment made here by previous guests, is on how great our staff is and the cleanliness of the hotel as the staff work 24/7 to ensure it is spotless
Again, if you would like to contact me directly to discuss any of the issues you had while staying with us, I would be happy to discuss it with you as this our way of constantly improve. I understand that the unfulfilled expectations may prevent you from visiting us in the future. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and change the poor perception you have of our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of assistance.

jjamieson@crownparadise.com
Sayre, Pa
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children ages 9 and 11) just returned from a week's stay. I will admit that check-in is a little bit of a nightmare. First of all, it took approximately 15 minutes to complete the check-in process which I feel is much too long. They had 2 people checking in guests so you can imagine how long it took everybody to get through. They did serve you a drink and a cold towel while waiting, which was nice. We upgraded to a suite with 2 levels. The first room they put us in was disgusting and had a horrible smell. We found out that was the room our friends checked in the day before and switched rooms because of the horrible smell. I went back to the front desk (and waited a long time because there is only 1 line and there were about 4 families waiting to check in) and he offered me to check out another room, which was much nicer so we moved. They did make us move our own luggage, which is whatever.. I thought it a little weird they didn't offer any help but that's okay we managed :)

Beds: The beds are extremely hard. If you require a softer bed, this is not the resort for you.

Housekeeping: Absolutely amazing! The people who cleaned our room did such a great job. Every day they made us a little surprise out of the towels. My kids loved it. We left a $3 tip on the bed everyday.

Food: Breakfast was amazing and by far the best meal of the day. Their omelet stations were wonderful and they also had egg whites (which is all I eat so I was thrilled!). Lunch was also pretty good around the pool. The Japanese for lunch was a great treat and we ate it almost every day. Dinner: The buffet was very bland at dinner time. If you can manage, make reservations every night. Wayne's Boots was BY FAR the best restaurant. The entire meal was delicious each night we ate there. We ate at the Italian one night and while the beauty of the restaurant and view is breathtaking, the food was truly bad. HOWEVER, they have great breads and a yummy salad bar. So if you don't like your meal (all 4 of us hated our main entree), you can fill up on the salad and bread.
**I will admit I was very unhappy about having to make dinner reservations the day before** This is what will make me not return to this resort. It's too much of a hassle to do this a day ahead of time.

Staff: They all work very hard for you. I feel you definitely get better service if you tip but that is true no matter where you go. Every employee we came into contact with was very nice and helpful.

Resort size: The size of the resort was just about perfect. It didn't take you an hour to walk from one size to the other, which I loved!

This was definitely a good resort for our family to visit. The security people make sure it stays "kid friendly". Remember, there is an adult's only pool if you are not traveling with your kids. There was a couple getting hot and heavy in the corner of the main pool and security told them to stop. I was thankful for that. Again...walk over to the adults only pool..
Overall this was a good resort, especially for the price. I would probably not travel here if it was just my husband and I but definitely a great place for kids. As I also mentioned, the dinner reservations a day ahead were enough to ensure I will not be returning. If that is not important to you, then this is truly a great resort. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a pm and I will help in any way that I can.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jenw1
Dear jenw1,

On behalf of Crown Paradise I would like to thank you for staying with us while visiting beautiful Cancun. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. This is our goal for each and every guest.

It is great that you enjoyed so many of our food menu items and amenities.

In regards to the bed. The firmness of a mattress is a subjective preference, for our guests that prefer a softer bed we do have mattress pads available, they are similar to a pillow top. They are available upon request at the front desk

Thank you for taking the time in posting. I do hope you will visit us again in the near future

Social Media Coordinator
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
GR Caribe by Solaris
GR Caribe by Solaris
#25 of 175 in Cancun
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Crown Paradise Club Cancun? Share your experiences!