“Birthday surprise”

Ranked #58 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Birthday surprise”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I dint really know what to think as the reviews Are so mixed but I couldn't of been happier,it was worth every penny. I have a 1 and 4 year old and wasn't sure if there would be enough to do but the water park was brill daytime entertainment and our hotel was overlooking the pool I was worried it would be to noisey in the day but it was fine . The staff were so happy and helpful and so hard working . There was lots of choice of food which is good for fussy eaters. The rep was great really helpful I would recommend the pirate ship evening it was fab kids loved it as did we. The only thing if any the restraints are almost impossible to book into but we were hay with the self serve one

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Kelly G
Jaki J, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Kelly G,

Happy belated birthday!!! We are so happy you chose Crown Paradise Cancun to celebrate your special day and delighted that all of you had such a wonderful time. We look forward to many future visits.

All the best,
Social Media Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,397)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Mablethorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Myself, husband & 2 kids aged 12 & 8 stayed here from the 29th January for 2 weeks. The first 3 days were windy & showery but still warm & sunny at times but after that it was hot & sunny everyday. Our room was a standard with 2 double beds, were offered an upgrade for $50 per night but we declined. We were very happy with our room 1548 on the 5th floor, beautiful view. The shower always had hot water, there is a hairdryer, towels, sockets, shampoo, body lotion & soap in the bathroom. Take your own shower gel if you dont want to use a bar of soap. Some people say the beds were too hard but ours were fine, slept like a log. Watched lots of premiership football on the tv although most of it was in spanish & we watched alot of Friends & Two & a Half Men before dinner. The maid Maribel was good, our room always clean & tidy, she was helpful & friendly.

Our kids had the best time, joined in most of the pool games, went in the kids club & on the adult slides.Also at 9 - 11am the entertainment staff ran the zipline & rock/wall climbing (next to adult slides) which mine done. The kids club (waterpark) was very good as we were allowed to give our kids permission to come & go as they please so we didnt have to keep signing them in & out every 2 hours or whatever like we had to in Egypt. They tie a coloured bit of string to the kids wristbands so they know who they can let out. It felt such a safe enviroment. The mini golf was fun open 9am - 10pm & the pools 8am - 7pm. There is also an adults pool on the first floor with swim up bar, never saw this full up. Plenty of sunbeds by the pool & beach. The beach is stunning, ocean warm but keep hold of your little ones, waves are strong, there was a red flag up nearly everyday. There is also a beach bar & showers which are good.

The food was good, we did try the sushi as never had it before, never ate at the restaurants as we are a family that like to help ourselves & get a bit at a time so nothing goes to waste & we saw plenty go to waste, people piling up their plates with fresh fruit & cakes then leaving it. The buffet was where we ate everyday & we never got bored of it as so much to choose from, the soups & rolls were my favourite.
Just like to mention as its not clear in the Buffet is an adults only section, please use this to free up space for families. There were usually plenty of tables left in that section as adults were sat in the family section.
Most lunchtimes we were sat by the pool & just helped ourselves at the japanese or snackbar. Kids loved the burgers!! Drinks were great, lovely cocktails also cocktails for kids aswell.
On my birthday the weather was abit cloudy & windy so we walked 5mins down the road to El Rey to see the smaller Mayan Ruins. Turn right out of the hotel & its across the road. It was £5 for all of us to get in as the kids were free but i think you have to pay for kids on a Sunday. We enjoyed this, kids were climbing all over the rocks, wouldnt be allowed to do this in the UK cause of health & safety, found & spotted some really large Iguanas. Stunning looking creatures, took loads of photos.
The buses outside of the hotel run every 3 minutes & cost 40p for any distance along the Cancun strip, we never used this service but when we left our hotel to go home we wish we had cause there was so much to see & do so we'd love to go back. The ocean on one side & the lagoon on the other, absolutely beautiful.
The entertainment in the evening was ok, we only watched the Michael Jackson Show & Grease, so much work went into these performances. My kids watched other shows while my husband & i sat & had a quiet drink. Sat in the bar near the Jetix club & cinema. My kids loved going to the Jetix club about 4pm to play on the xbox or wii. Kids were never bored & usually tired by 8.30pm.

What made our holiday perfect was the staff especially Victor in the morning buffet then Angel in the evenings. Nothing was too much trouble, always asked how we were. On my birthday one of the waiters carried my dinner back on his tray for me, no-one knew it was my birthday & a different waiter on our last morning carried my breakfast back for me, felt like royalty!!! So sad to leave.
A big thank you to our Thomas Cook rep Jason, full of life, friendly & very helpful, everything you could possibly want in a rep.
A reminder when leaving Mexico you have to pay a tax £45 per person (not babies sat on your lap) pay in pounds sterling not dollars.
Hope to be back one day, will only be the cost of the flights from the UK that would prevent us from returning.
Had a fabulous time, thank you very much.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Nixon2Rush
Jaki J, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Nixon2Rush,

We are so happy you chose to visit us for your 40th and that you enjoyed your time with us. I will be sure to let Victor, Angel and Maribel know they had a hand in making it special for you. We hope to see you again in the future for all for upcoming celebrations :)

Best wishes,
Montgomery, Alabama
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I have been going to this resort since 1995, most every year. I am a club member......., but club membership is absolutely nothing like it used to be. Recently we were pretty much forced to transition from our old contract to a new one - as the resort has very much lessened it's food quality, service, & INCREASED the all-inclusive package, we started not to renew........but we did on the PROMISE that if we chose a particular package, our all-inclusive would never go over $50 per day. 2 or 3 reps worked with our group of 5 (we all are in the membership together) & wrote all of the prices & stuff on sheets of notebook paper as we negotiated. We ALL sat there & were convinced of the same things. We, however, failed to read all of the very fine print on the contract, which did not state that the all-inclusive would not suffer inflation, like they wrote SPECIFICALLY on the negotiating paper. Our bad for trusting the little foreigners. They falsely represented the club contract. So guess what? The very next year we called to make our reservation, the all-inclusive had gone from $50 to $60 per day. Via email, I argued with the same club reps that negotiated the contract with us, the fact that this is not what we had agreed on........I even scanned the papers with all the $#s on it & they said we were confused.......that's not what it had meant! So now we are stuck & this year the all-inclusive is $65 per day. DO NOT join Club Golden Shores. They also tricked a couple of our friends into listening to the club spill, said it would take 1-2 hrs, but they spent at least 4 listening to the lies & pressures. They told them the same exact thing: the all-inclusive would never go over $50 per day. DO NOT DO IT!!
As far as the hotel amenities go, the service has really gone down over the years. They no longer open all the available bars, thus creating long lines & inconvenience. Our group has plain & simple friends in it, not used to the high-life at all, but we have really been disappointed over the past 5-6 years.

Room Tip: Tower 1 is older than tower 2 - we now always choose tower 2
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Denise0732
Jaki J, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Denise0732,

On behalf of Crown Paradise Cancun I would like to offer my apology that your time with us wasn´t as enjoyable as your previous visits. I have forwarded your post to the Vacation Club mgr as we want all our guests to have a special vacation while with us. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me via p/m.

Best regards,

Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

this hotel and all staff made the renewal of our marriage vows truely amazing and cant thank them enough for everything they arranged from the beach location for our vows to to the reception.there were 11 adults in party and not one of us could complain about any of the facilities from the time we checked in on 30/12/12 to departure the whole 14 days were amazing food was amazing adult pool is a bonus when not traveling with children and pool bar staff could not do enough(roger) will keep drinks topped up d ont be afraid to book this hotel i read reviews after i booked and was worried about what i read but dont take any notice i would recommend to all family and friends many many thanks from the very happy hughes family and friends

Room Tip: recomend pool views
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank leigh h
Dear Leigh h,

Thank you so much for giving us priviledge of being part of such a special day!! We are delighted that you and your party enjoyed every minute of it. We are extremelly fortunate to have an amazing and experienced Wedding/Honeymoon team. Please return again soon. We would love to see you all again......and say hello to Roger on your behalf

Best wishes to you both and to many more wonderful years together

Billings,MT
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed here for a week in Feb. We booked a room for our family of four with two double beds. We upgraded to the king size bed with the bunk bed. This was a great option. Funny thing was he tried to sell us the upgrade by claiming it had a better view and we chose to go to our first room. The upgraded room was right next door to the original room. So, the view was the same and the room size itself was the same. It was nicer sleeping arrangements and we had a refridgerator, that was useful. Upgrade was worth it. The beds were comfy. We all slept well. We were in tower one. We had no issues with noise from the atrium like I read in previous reviews. We were on the 4th floor and it was fine. You can hear voices and noise but once the door was closed to our room we were fine. The view was beautiful! loved it! Our room was kept clean. We felt safe in this hotel, We felt safe the entire time we were in Cancun. No issues.

The beach is great. We spent most of the time at the beach. Why sit by the pool when you have an ocean? We often arrived around 11 at the beach. We did have to search for loungers. But had no issues eventually finding one. People are coming and going constantly. The main activity pool was always busy and it looked challenging to get loungers there.

The food.- I enjoyed all the restaurants. My favorite was the Mexican and my husband's favorite was the Fisherman's. Wayne's boot was not the greatest but the mechanical bull was fun. The protocol to make reservations at the restuarants needs to be improved. They were not real clear with instructions at check in. If I had not read the reviews on Trip Advisor I would not have been privy to the reservation protocol. You have to call starting at 8 am for the next night's reservation. It was a pain and we ended up with late night reservations like 8pm or later. In the end that was fine we were on "Mexico time" and often had breakfast at 10 , lunch at 3 so dinner at 8 worked out. The food is good at all places, not Great but Good. The service at the Fisherman's restaurant was excellent. I think the waitor's name was Fillipe. He was great, very attentive and kind. He brought us refills of the shrimp scampi and cared to make our dinning experience great. My stomach was bugging me and we asked about Pharmacy hours. He ran up to the Pharmacy to check the hours for us. ( I was able to treat my tummy bug with some Cipro from the local pharmacy). I have a sensitive stomach and easily get sick. My kids and husband were fine the whole time and did not share my issues.

At lunch we enjoyed the Japanese restaurant. Liked the egg rolls and sushi. The pool side grill was ok. they often set up additional food stations. One day they had fish and rice and veggies offered down on the beach. So, there are several choices.

The pools were cold. That didnt bother us. My kids favored the pool in the atrium. it was warmer and less people hung out there. Since we had our kids with us we never did go to the adult only pool.

Some of the Mexican people are sooo nice and friendly and fun to talk to and some are crabbie and just want to swindle you. I suppose that is true of Americans. So, one cannot complain. You do have to be on your toes for there is always someone wanting your money and trying to sell you something. It was annoying to pick up my towels and the lady tried to sell me an excursion. You have to just say no thanks and walk away. Other than that we were not really badgered for time shares. Which I was glad about.

All of our excursions we pre-booked on cancun discount excursions. I have used this website before and had no issues with it. We booked a trip to Dolphin Discovery on Island Mujeras. Loved the Island and Garaffon park. But thought swimming with the Dolphins was a little over-rated and over-priced.

We went to Salvatica. Love, Loved Salvatica. It is a zip line tour. Top notch and enjoyed every minute of it. My kids our 8 and 11 and they loved it too. We did Xplor last year and although the zip lines were more extreme at Xplor we loved the service at Selvatica.

During our trip we took the bus up and down the Hotel Zone. We felt safe and had no issues. We went to the local Myan ruins. That was fun to see the ruins and the iguanas.

All in all, I loved Cancun. Love to go to Mexico. I would recommend this hotel to friends. It is affordable and met all of our traveling needs. I would not hesitate to stay here again. However, next year we may venture to other destinations. I also would prefer a smaller resort.

Room Tip: The upgrade to the king size bed and bunk beds was worth it.
7 Thank GFfromMT
Dear GFfromMT,

On behalf of Crown Paradise Cancun I would like to thank you for recommending us to others who go on Tripadvisor for suggetions on where to stay while visiting Cancun. We are delighted that you had an amazing time. Please return soon. We would love to see you again!!

Best wishes
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Sorry for rambling but I appreciate these reviews and wanted to leave on myself. Went with the kids (8 and 15) Feb 15th -19th. Never had a great meal while we were there, some were much better than others and I'd have to say Los Gallos was the best of them all. Agree with the other reviewers about the taste of the hamburgers, both I ate also had bone chips in them and my wife experienced the same issue as well. Fries and nachos were good by the pool and my wife loved the sushi/Japanese place by there as well. Bartenders and waitstaff were generally very good, we tipped often and noticed that not many others did, and I got the honest feeling that it was not expected and was greatly appreciated and we went through about a hundred ones over the course of 4 days in tips. LONG lines for drinks all the time by the pool, I would go and get drinks from the beach bar which was usually quite a bit less busy. Bring a large insulated mug or buy one there, that's a MUST if you want to be able to relax by the pool with a drink as there is no beach/pool wait service. The surf there is very rough with a strong undertow that pulls you away from the yellow flag area and there were red flags over most of the beach the entire time we were there. As others have stated it’s VERY loud by the pool, they’re constantly trying to get people to play games and do activities, even if you sit next to the other pool it’s still pretty loud. Pool is freezing cold and only an option on the 80 degree+ days (of which we only had 2), ocean is much warmer but as I said it’s rough surf. Kids LOVED the zipline and rock wall but they were only available from 9-11am. Teen club was a nice option but since they don’t let younger kids in there after 6pm my daughter and son were separated which kind of sucked. The teen dance club didn’t open till 11:30 pm and my kids were wiped by that time so they never got to experience that, open it earlier people, hello! The pool table and foosball in the collage bar was always overrun with unmanaged kids who never let anyone else have a turn. There were literally kids standing on top of it and I almost felt the need to go over and tell them to stop it but my wife kept me from doing so. Our room was ok, (hard beds and a weird shower configuration), and without a fridge or drinkable tap water I woke up dehydrated. Room service took 1 hour for water and toast at 6:20 in the morning. Go see El Rey while you’re there, the ruins are a 5 minute walk to the north and well worth it. We tried to feed the iguanas bananas but they never seemed very interested in eating and would usually scatter when we got near them. We took the bus up to the marina aquatours at the top of the hotel zone and stopped at La Isla shopping center on the way back. It’s a buck a person or even cheaper at 8 pesos if you had local currency but we got through the week without ever having to trade in money and used US dollars the whole time which was very convenient. We felt fairly safe while out and about but did notice a very large police presence on the way back in the early afternoon on Sunday with checkpoints and barricades along the route. I’d have been freaked if I’d rented a car while and drove through that.

7 Thank Fernanz73
Sioux Falls, SD
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Our family just returned from another week at Crown Paradise. We have been there many times and continue to return each year because our children love it, and they always have plenty to do. The staff is all very hardworking, often working very long hours. That being said, I agree with the complaints that the hotel is in need of renovation (especially the floors & bathrooms). However, our biggest complaint is that all inclusive costs keep going up, but the access to and quality of food keeps going down. They make it difficult to get dinner reservations even though the restaurants are never full. Also, much of the food we used to love has been discontinued or substituted with a lower quality alternative. Most recently, the Heinz ketchup has been replaced by a thin tomato-soup like alternative, and the hamburgers have been replaced by something that tastes more like soy than beef. We also miss the made-to-order food at Fujiyama that has been replaced by a buffet style restaurant. You can grab food much quicker now, but the food is not as good. That seems to be the recurring theme.

5 Thank Todd_and_Pam
Dear Todd and Pam,

Let me first thank you for returning yet again to Crown Paradise Cancun. It is always a pleasure to have you visit. Our goal is to improve our services and amenities daily as to have the guests wanting to return again and again, like yourselves. Therefor we try to vary our menus occasionally as to not be the same year after year. Comments like yours gives us an idea from a guest point of view if we are moving in the right direction. Thank you for taking the time in posting.

Please contact me via p/m prior to your next visit as to help you make your visit extra special

Hope to see you in the near future

Social Media Coordinator
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
GR Caribe by Solaris
GR Caribe by Solaris
#25 of 175 in Cancun
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Crown Paradise Club Cancun? Share your experiences!