“Steer clear of Time Share!!!”

Crown Paradise Club Cancun
Ranked #59 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Montgomery, Alabama
“Steer clear of Time Share!!!”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I have been going to this resort since 1995, most every year. I am a club member......., but club membership is absolutely nothing like it used to be. Recently we were pretty much forced to transition from our old contract to a new one - as the resort has very much lessened it's food quality, service, & INCREASED the all-inclusive package, we started not to renew........but we did on the PROMISE that if we chose a particular package, our all-inclusive would never go over $50 per day. 2 or 3 reps worked with our group of 5 (we all are in the membership together) & wrote all of the prices & stuff on sheets of notebook paper as we negotiated. We ALL sat there & were convinced of the same things. We, however, failed to read all of the very fine print on the contract, which did not state that the all-inclusive would not suffer inflation, like they wrote SPECIFICALLY on the negotiating paper. Our bad for trusting the little foreigners. They falsely represented the club contract. So guess what? The very next year we called to make our reservation, the all-inclusive had gone from $50 to $60 per day. Via email, I argued with the same club reps that negotiated the contract with us, the fact that this is not what we had agreed on........I even scanned the papers with all the $#s on it & they said we were confused.......that's not what it had meant! So now we are stuck & this year the all-inclusive is $65 per day. DO NOT join Club Golden Shores. They also tricked a couple of our friends into listening to the club spill, said it would take 1-2 hrs, but they spent at least 4 listening to the lies & pressures. They told them the same exact thing: the all-inclusive would never go over $50 per day. DO NOT DO IT!!
As far as the hotel amenities go, the service has really gone down over the years. They no longer open all the available bars, thus creating long lines & inconvenience. Our group has plain & simple friends in it, not used to the high-life at all, but we have really been disappointed over the past 5-6 years.

Room Tip: Tower 1 is older than tower 2 - we now always choose tower 2
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Denise0732
Jaki J, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Denise0732,

On behalf of Crown Paradise Cancun I would like to offer my apology that your time with us wasn´t as enjoyable as your previous visits. I have forwarded your post to the Vacation Club mgr as we want all our guests to have a special vacation while with us. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me via p/m.

Best regards,

Social Media Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,381)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

this hotel and all staff made the renewal of our marriage vows truely amazing and cant thank them enough for everything they arranged from the beach location for our vows to to the reception.there were 11 adults in party and not one of us could complain about any of the facilities from the time we checked in on 30/12/12 to departure the whole 14 days were amazing food was amazing adult pool is a bonus when not traveling with children and pool bar staff could not do enough(roger) will keep drinks topped up d ont be afraid to book this hotel i read reviews after i booked and was worried about what i read but dont take any notice i would recommend to all family and friends many many thanks from the very happy hughes family and friends

Room Tip: recomend pool views
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank leigh h
Jaki J, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Leigh h,

Thank you so much for giving us priviledge of being part of such a special day!! We are delighted that you and your party enjoyed every minute of it. We are extremelly fortunate to have an amazing and experienced Wedding/Honeymoon team. Please return again soon. We would love to see you all again......and say hello to Roger on your behalf

Best wishes to you both and to many more wonderful years together

Billings,MT
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed here for a week in Feb. We booked a room for our family of four with two double beds. We upgraded to the king size bed with the bunk bed. This was a great option. Funny thing was he tried to sell us the upgrade by claiming it had a better view and we chose to go to our first room. The upgraded room was right next door to the original room. So, the view was the same and the room size itself was the same. It was nicer sleeping arrangements and we had a refridgerator, that was useful. Upgrade was worth it. The beds were comfy. We all slept well. We were in tower one. We had no issues with noise from the atrium like I read in previous reviews. We were on the 4th floor and it was fine. You can hear voices and noise but once the door was closed to our room we were fine. The view was beautiful! loved it! Our room was kept clean. We felt safe in this hotel, We felt safe the entire time we were in Cancun. No issues.

The beach is great. We spent most of the time at the beach. Why sit by the pool when you have an ocean? We often arrived around 11 at the beach. We did have to search for loungers. But had no issues eventually finding one. People are coming and going constantly. The main activity pool was always busy and it looked challenging to get loungers there.

The food.- I enjoyed all the restaurants. My favorite was the Mexican and my husband's favorite was the Fisherman's. Wayne's boot was not the greatest but the mechanical bull was fun. The protocol to make reservations at the restuarants needs to be improved. They were not real clear with instructions at check in. If I had not read the reviews on Trip Advisor I would not have been privy to the reservation protocol. You have to call starting at 8 am for the next night's reservation. It was a pain and we ended up with late night reservations like 8pm or later. In the end that was fine we were on "Mexico time" and often had breakfast at 10 , lunch at 3 so dinner at 8 worked out. The food is good at all places, not Great but Good. The service at the Fisherman's restaurant was excellent. I think the waitor's name was Fillipe. He was great, very attentive and kind. He brought us refills of the shrimp scampi and cared to make our dinning experience great. My stomach was bugging me and we asked about Pharmacy hours. He ran up to the Pharmacy to check the hours for us. ( I was able to treat my tummy bug with some Cipro from the local pharmacy). I have a sensitive stomach and easily get sick. My kids and husband were fine the whole time and did not share my issues.

At lunch we enjoyed the Japanese restaurant. Liked the egg rolls and sushi. The pool side grill was ok. they often set up additional food stations. One day they had fish and rice and veggies offered down on the beach. So, there are several choices.

The pools were cold. That didnt bother us. My kids favored the pool in the atrium. it was warmer and less people hung out there. Since we had our kids with us we never did go to the adult only pool.

Some of the Mexican people are sooo nice and friendly and fun to talk to and some are crabbie and just want to swindle you. I suppose that is true of Americans. So, one cannot complain. You do have to be on your toes for there is always someone wanting your money and trying to sell you something. It was annoying to pick up my towels and the lady tried to sell me an excursion. You have to just say no thanks and walk away. Other than that we were not really badgered for time shares. Which I was glad about.

All of our excursions we pre-booked on cancun discount excursions. I have used this website before and had no issues with it. We booked a trip to Dolphin Discovery on Island Mujeras. Loved the Island and Garaffon park. But thought swimming with the Dolphins was a little over-rated and over-priced.

We went to Salvatica. Love, Loved Salvatica. It is a zip line tour. Top notch and enjoyed every minute of it. My kids our 8 and 11 and they loved it too. We did Xplor last year and although the zip lines were more extreme at Xplor we loved the service at Selvatica.

During our trip we took the bus up and down the Hotel Zone. We felt safe and had no issues. We went to the local Myan ruins. That was fun to see the ruins and the iguanas.

All in all, I loved Cancun. Love to go to Mexico. I would recommend this hotel to friends. It is affordable and met all of our traveling needs. I would not hesitate to stay here again. However, next year we may venture to other destinations. I also would prefer a smaller resort.

Room Tip: The upgrade to the king size bed and bunk beds was worth it.
7 Thank GFfromMT
Dear GFfromMT,

On behalf of Crown Paradise Cancun I would like to thank you for recommending us to others who go on Tripadvisor for suggetions on where to stay while visiting Cancun. We are delighted that you had an amazing time. Please return soon. We would love to see you again!!

Best wishes
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Sorry for rambling but I appreciate these reviews and wanted to leave on myself. Went with the kids (8 and 15) Feb 15th -19th. Never had a great meal while we were there, some were much better than others and I'd have to say Los Gallos was the best of them all. Agree with the other reviewers about the taste of the hamburgers, both I ate also had bone chips in them and my wife experienced the same issue as well. Fries and nachos were good by the pool and my wife loved the sushi/Japanese place by there as well. Bartenders and waitstaff were generally very good, we tipped often and noticed that not many others did, and I got the honest feeling that it was not expected and was greatly appreciated and we went through about a hundred ones over the course of 4 days in tips. LONG lines for drinks all the time by the pool, I would go and get drinks from the beach bar which was usually quite a bit less busy. Bring a large insulated mug or buy one there, that's a MUST if you want to be able to relax by the pool with a drink as there is no beach/pool wait service. The surf there is very rough with a strong undertow that pulls you away from the yellow flag area and there were red flags over most of the beach the entire time we were there. As others have stated it’s VERY loud by the pool, they’re constantly trying to get people to play games and do activities, even if you sit next to the other pool it’s still pretty loud. Pool is freezing cold and only an option on the 80 degree+ days (of which we only had 2), ocean is much warmer but as I said it’s rough surf. Kids LOVED the zipline and rock wall but they were only available from 9-11am. Teen club was a nice option but since they don’t let younger kids in there after 6pm my daughter and son were separated which kind of sucked. The teen dance club didn’t open till 11:30 pm and my kids were wiped by that time so they never got to experience that, open it earlier people, hello! The pool table and foosball in the collage bar was always overrun with unmanaged kids who never let anyone else have a turn. There were literally kids standing on top of it and I almost felt the need to go over and tell them to stop it but my wife kept me from doing so. Our room was ok, (hard beds and a weird shower configuration), and without a fridge or drinkable tap water I woke up dehydrated. Room service took 1 hour for water and toast at 6:20 in the morning. Go see El Rey while you’re there, the ruins are a 5 minute walk to the north and well worth it. We tried to feed the iguanas bananas but they never seemed very interested in eating and would usually scatter when we got near them. We took the bus up to the marina aquatours at the top of the hotel zone and stopped at La Isla shopping center on the way back. It’s a buck a person or even cheaper at 8 pesos if you had local currency but we got through the week without ever having to trade in money and used US dollars the whole time which was very convenient. We felt fairly safe while out and about but did notice a very large police presence on the way back in the early afternoon on Sunday with checkpoints and barricades along the route. I’d have been freaked if I’d rented a car while and drove through that.

7 Thank Fernanz73
Sioux Falls, SD
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Our family just returned from another week at Crown Paradise. We have been there many times and continue to return each year because our children love it, and they always have plenty to do. The staff is all very hardworking, often working very long hours. That being said, I agree with the complaints that the hotel is in need of renovation (especially the floors & bathrooms). However, our biggest complaint is that all inclusive costs keep going up, but the access to and quality of food keeps going down. They make it difficult to get dinner reservations even though the restaurants are never full. Also, much of the food we used to love has been discontinued or substituted with a lower quality alternative. Most recently, the Heinz ketchup has been replaced by a thin tomato-soup like alternative, and the hamburgers have been replaced by something that tastes more like soy than beef. We also miss the made-to-order food at Fujiyama that has been replaced by a buffet style restaurant. You can grab food much quicker now, but the food is not as good. That seems to be the recurring theme.

5 Thank Todd_and_Pam
Dear Todd and Pam,

Let me first thank you for returning yet again to Crown Paradise Cancun. It is always a pleasure to have you visit. Our goal is to improve our services and amenities daily as to have the guests wanting to return again and again, like yourselves. Therefor we try to vary our menus occasionally as to not be the same year after year. Comments like yours gives us an idea from a guest point of view if we are moving in the right direction. Thank you for taking the time in posting.

Please contact me via p/m prior to your next visit as to help you make your visit extra special

Hope to see you in the near future

Hartford, CT
Reviewed February 21, 2013

There were some good elements and some bad. The worst was the smell of the room. Every time we went in we were hit with a musty smell. My clothes picked it up and I noticed it even when I was unpacking. The rooms are clean but in need of renovation (especially the chipped floor tiles). The housekeepers did a nice job on the room and even left us with some pretty towel and tissue arrangements. I was very surprised that the hotel would not exchange dollars to pesos and that you had to pay $12 for Wi-Fi or Internet access on their computers. The all-inclusive is expensive, but you have no choice because there is nowhere else to eat nearby. The main restaurant (Palapas) has a wide variety of food. My favorites were the fresh fruit, the crepes, and the licuados (smoothies). Breakfasts were good but the other meals were just so-so. We were only able to try 3 restaurants -- Waynes Boots, which was dark and unimpressive, the Seafood restaurant which was very good, and the French restaurant which was also good, but slow in service. I wanted to try the Mexican and Italian restaurants but if you don't get your reservations in advance you are out of luck. I enjoyed the beach a lot. It's great if you like the waves. The pools were nice but loud music and lots of noise. The adult pool is nice and has a view of the lagoon. It is generally full of partyers though. I was also disappointed that the resort didn't feel very Mexican, i.e. the food and the music. You could have been anywhere. The grounds are very nicely kept. The abandoned hotel next door is kind of creepy.

Room Tip: Be careful of musty smell. I don't know if all of the rooms have it or not.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank marquesa296
Dear marquesa296,

Thank you for choosing Crown Paradise Cancun while you stayed in Cancun. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our food choices and I apologize that you were not able to try all the restaurants while you were here and found making the reservations for the others a bit difficult. In regards to the entertainment. We try to have a little bit of everything as we have visitors from all parts of the world and also of all ages.

We hope to see you again in the future

Sincerely
Western Springs, Illinois
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed Feb 13-17 2013. The food at the buffet was typical for a buffet, but the hamburgers did not taste like beef. The fruit was excellent, very plentiful and flavorful. The hamburger at Wayne's Boot did not taste like beef and the ribeyes were very tough and did not have much flavor.
The food at the French restaurant was excellent with the food at the seafood restaurant a close second. Both restaurants exuded elegance and the service was great with Felipe, our waiter at the seafood place, a very welcome source of humor and genuine attentiveness to our needs. That was the good.
Outside of getting a welcome drink when you're checking in, you are left to fend for yourself as to what's available and where things are. When you do ask for help, you are steered to someone who tries to get you to agree to a "Time Share type" seminar where they try to sell you a membership. When we got wind of this, we said no and never even scheduled one. Shame on you!
The protocol for making reservations at the restaurants is a joke. You must either call or make arrangements with the concierge. If we just showed up for a dinner, we were sent away even though the restaurants were half empty. When we did make reservations, the restaurants were still always half-empty. My explanation: They're trying to save money on food since the food at these restaurants is of better quality. We never did get to try the Italian or Mexican restaurants. If you know how the game is played when you first get there, you have a chance to eat at all of them.
The beach is excellent and well cared for as is the adult pool.
We enjoyed the live shows which featured energetic dancers. The Michael Jackson show was the best one we saw.

Room Tip: We booked a Honeymoon Suite which included a hot tub, hammock, fruit basket, and champagne. It also...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
11 Thank pokeybones
Jaki J, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Pokeybones,

Thank you for taking the time in sharing with us here on Tripadvisor and for commenting on the quality of our staff and Felipe, I will make sure to inform him that he made your stay extra special :)

In regards to the meet. As all foods, the taste varies from country to country and the cattle is fed a differ diet and therefor will reflect on the taste of the meat but I can assure you that it is beef. I apologize if it was not to your liking.

If you consider returning in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of any assistance

jjamieson@crownparadise.com