“Fun for family with kids”

Crown Paradise Club Cancun
Ranked #58 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
“Fun for family with kids”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I did not know what to expect traveling with my girls for the first time without my son and husband. My girls were 10 and 12 at the time. We all had so much fun. We opted for the king bed with pool and ocean view in lieu of two double beds. Great decision. Loved watching the sun rise and set over the ocean. Could see room from pool. Nice balcony to sit on in morning after getting coffee and fruit from dining hall and bringing it back to watch sun rise before my girsl woke up. We felt extremely safe at the resort. The activity pool is large and lots of chairs. Indeed, if you want a poolside chair or good view of the beach.....you need to be out at 5:30AM to set out your towels and pool stuff to reserve seats. Every night we ate at a different restaurant and went to a different show. Before dinner, or sometimes late at night, we'd hit the putt putt course for some friendly competition. During the day, the girls LOVED the beach and there was always a lifeguard on duty keeping all swimmers in the safe zone away from currents. The pool bar had great burgers, wings, chicken and fries for fast fun food. The main counter service restaurant kept changing it's menu so there was always variety. The servers bringing drinks etc. were extremely friendly and happy to teach us a few more spanish words every time we went to the restaurant. One day I asked a worker if they were ever gonna have guacomole. They said it's not on the menu. I asked if I would be able to get it at the Mexican Restaruant at night on the grounds and they said yes. A minute later a manager came up to me asking if I was the one looking for guacomole, when I said Yes he said, "wait here for two minutes" then came back with a HUGE bowl of freshly made quac from the kitchen! Amazing and absolutely delicious! There are water slides for the kids (and adults) and a rock climbing wall and zip line. The days and nights went by too fast. Tipping? Well, as any resort in Mexico....it's not expected, but a $2 tip goes a long way. We brought $40 with us to drop tips around for good service and to show gratitude and the staff acts very surprised and appreciative each time. Which is nice. There is not an aire of expecting tips at all. It's a beautiful resort. Gorgeous at night....our favorite time. Huge tropical winds blowing through the lobby especially at night just made the atmosphere magical. Would return in a hearbeat.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Jaki J, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Jenny G,

On behalf of all of us here at Crown Paradise Cancun, we want to thank you for taking the time in sharing your experience with us. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us. Yes we are very fortunate to have such excellent staff on our team who work hard every day to make each and every moment for our guests special. I am glad to your were able to experience that :)

If you do decide to return to Crown Paradise, please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist you in any way

Social Media Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,397)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We travelled with family and our daughter to spend a week here. I liked the fact that all the restaurants and all the drinks are covered with the all inclusive. The food in the main restaurant is varied and of a good standard. The mexican food 'station' was where I ate 3 times a day and it was great. We found plenty of choice for our daughter too. The restaurant is open from 7am - 11pm closing for an hour between breakfast and lunch, and then again between lunch and dinner so you can always get snacks or eat at your convenience. We found this particularly useful when feeding the little one. The mexican restaurant was ok - I expected more choice or authenticity but I found that in the main restaurant - highly recommend the flavoured tequilas and mescal they have. The Italian restaurant wasn't good.

There are many families with young children here and the resort is geared to this and makes it very easy -which was appreciated. I took my daughter to the kids play room for a little while which she enjoyed.

Overall we found it good value for food and drinks. On the downside however

Most of the time, the lifts didn't work properly or took ages to come or worse, creaked eerily. The pool water was freezing, including the baby pool, meaning I didn't want to go in but worse my daughter didn't want to swim and hated it. The rooms were below average and dated - not what you'd expect for a 4 or 5 star resort and the floor a bit dirty. Facilities in the room were also not great either - pretty basic. We were in the main tower and our room overlooked a derelict hotel next door - which was not ideal but also not the hotel's fault. At night, it was very noisy in the main building - which is not ideal if you have a small child. I'm not sure why we were not put in the other building if the hotel knew we had a child with us. If was to go back to Cancun I'd probably stay elsewhere. This is not a 5 star resort by any means.

Dear MrAndMrsFoodie,

Thank you for taking the time in commenting on Tripadvisor. We appreciate all feedback from our guests. I am happy to read that you and your family enjoyed your time with us.

If you do consider visiting us again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist you in any way.

Sincerely
London, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My wife and I just returned home from the CPC on Sunday morning. We stayed from Jan 26 - Feb 3rd in an upgraded club room.

We had a fantastic time and are looking forward to returning next year. As most have said and we agree the staff is great here, they do everything in their power to make sure you have a good stay. They cant however control the weather. We saw one couple soiling themselves because it had been cloudy for their first two days. We felt sorry for the girl behind the counter.

As far as the common complaints that we read before going..... pool temp seemed fine to us, very close to the temp of the ocean. The drinks seemed strong enough to us and it was premium alcohol, Corona on tap wasn't to hard to handle either. Booking the dinner reservations went smoothly for us. We emailed in advance to setup our first two, then just went to the 8th floor club room in the morning and made them two nights at a time. Yes the rooms may be a little dated, but they were comfortable and the fridge was stocked daily. As far as all the kids, we were never bothered by them, they have an adults only section in the main buffet if you find it necessary and of course in the adult pool area they are not allowed. We ordered room service every day, even if it was just for a pot of coffee and never waited longer than a half an hour. We spent too much time on the beach and in the pool enjoying ourselves to be monitoring the elevator “maintenance” schedule so cant really comment on the fact there is always elevators broken?? We never had to wait longer than a couple minutes for an elevator, pretty good considering the hotel was at capacity.

So, if you’re looking for an inexpensive Cancun resort with great food, drinks and staff the CPC should be on your short list. Don’t worry about the negative reviews, go down and enjoy yourself and don’t sweat the small stuff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mantorville, Minnesota
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This all-inclusive resort is high on value. We traveled in January 2013 for a 7-night trip with 2 adults and 2 children (ages 4 ½ and 6 ½). Upon arrival, we were greeted with beer in the lobby while we waited to check in. The hotel is divided into two towers. The bellmen quickly whisked our luggage to our room. We were in 3237. We had a beautiful view of the ocean, beach and resort.

Our children loved the Kids Paradise (included, complimentary daycare like services). Different than other all-inclusive resorts we have stayed at, my husband and I signed off that our kids were okay to check themselves in and out of Kids Paradise. The Kids Paradise ladies were friendly; there were always crafts, coloring, basketball and the water park when other structured kids activities (Simon Says, Balloon War, Painting, etc) were not offered. Kids Paradise also offered evening (generally 7-9pm) activities Sunday-Friday as well; Saturday evening was a family show in the on-site live theater. The only aspect in which we were disappointed is that adults were not allowed in the Kids Paradise water park area. For us, this was a real bummer because our entire family enjoys doing water slides together.

The zip line and rock wall on property are available for kids 5-17 only. For the rock wall, kids must have tennis shoes. We had Keen sandals and these were acceptable for the zip line, but not the rock wall. They are open from 9-11AM each morning; go about 10 minutes before 9 so you don’t have to spend a ½ hour + waiting in line.

Even though it rained two days while we were in Cancun, our family still was able to find things to do. The family club area just off the lobby also encompasses a theater for nightly movie showings, foosball, ping pong and plenty of tables for playing cards (we brought our own UNO). The Entertainment team from the main activity pool also comes into the club area to do salsa lessons, etc.

Outside of the family activities, the food at the resort was good. The buffet, located in the center of the resort, offers themed options every night and even picky eaters could navigate their way through. Los Gallos, the Mexican resort, was hands down our favorite. Food was great, Mariachi music added to ambiance and they offered balloon animals for the kids. The Italian restaurant was okay for me; my husband enjoyed it more. We both had high expectations for the on-site Seafood restaurant, which fell short. Wayne’s Boot, has a mechanical bull for adults (ladies don’t wear a dress this night). Overall, alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks were free flowing; service was good as well.

The hotel brings vendors into the lobby twice a week, between this and the on-site gift shops, there was ample shopping for what we wanted to bring home. Prices are much more reasonable at the resort than they are in the Cancun Airport.

So what are the drawbacks?
As every other posting lists, the beds in the guestrooms are hard.
The HVAC unit in our room never truly worked; we controlled the temperature by opening the patio door.
ALL the pools (including the Kids Paradise water park) are COLD. Even with 75-80 degree weather, the only time I stepped into the pool was for water aerobics and because my kids begged me.
The swim up bar is located in the adults only pool; I had hopes it would be in the main pool area for us to use as a family.
Bring your own hair conditioner; it is not provided as an in-room amenity.
This is not a five-star hotel; if you are expecting those types of amenities and services, select another resort.

Overall, we would return based on the value of this resort. However, since the water park area was not a place we could hang out as a family I will be researching other resorts for next year’s winter vacation.

Room Tip: Higher floors will have a better view of the ocean and beach. Lower floors are quicker and easier to...
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2013

On arrival the room we were given was awful, so I ended up paying money to upgrade to a Club room. We definitely enjoyed the facilities offered as part of this, but were annoyed that we had to pay additional money just to get a room that wasn't dark, dank, decorated in dirty wood chip paper, and with an ant or two scarpering about.
Food was ok, but as other reviewers have commented, getting a reservation at a restuarant was tricky. I was disappointed with the steak I had in the steak place - it was just all fat.
There are 2 aspects of the that made me really disappointed - smoking is allowed in the adult pool and jacuzzi. This disgusted my partner and I - it's unhygienic, rude, dangerous and gave a really poor impression. Add that to the excessive drinking people were doing whilst sitting in the jacuzzi and you had the impression of a Club 18-30 vacation, as opposed to a 5 star family resort.
My second main issue was the hotel's endoresment of using exotic animals for photo opportunities.
I saw a parrot being laid on its back in the arms of a child. Just where in the wild do parrots lie upside down? You could tell the parrot was distressed as it kept trying to bite its handlers hand.
Next was a capuchin monkey, tethered to its handlers wrist, being taken out to the pool in blistering heat. What's natural about that for a monkey?
And finally, a donkey was hauled out to have its photo taken, wearing a sombrero and draped with a poncho. The handler continually yanked on the rope holding it, which distressed the donkey even more.
Based on these concerns I wouldn't consider recommending this hotel to anyone, which is a shame, because it has a gorgeous location and beach.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the first or second floor, especially if you're in block 2.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jaki J, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your experience with us at Crown Paradise Cancun. I am happy to hear that you were satisfied after the room change. Wayne´s Boot is one of the guests favorite when visiting us and sorry to hear that you were not pleased with the experience.

The hotel is smoke free, as are the pool areas. Did you bring this matter up with any of the staff?

In regards to the animals for photos in the hotel. All countries have their own set of rules, enforced laws, customs, etc..... and Mexico is no different. The use of animals for profit for something simple as walking around on the owners shoulders and being handed to tourist for a snapshot, is not seen as a bad thing This is not a Crown Paradise Cancun practice but throughout Mexico and all hotels, malls, sidewalk vendors, etc... have them as a way to earn. and sadly, this is requested by tourists when travelling here. I do apologize if this affected you in a negative way.

Again, I do thank you for taking the time in posting.

Best wishes,
Campbell, Ca
Reviewed February 4, 2013

First let me just share that Crown paradise is our fith all inclusive hotel in Mexico and by far exceeded all of my expectations. Just like any other hotel there are some kinks that they still have to work out, and for the most part everyone in our party was vastly pleased with the hotel. First the positive: By far the hotel's biggest strength is the food. It offers a buffet that is available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This is a perfect choice for families and individuals who are not able to get a reservation in the hotel's five sit down restaurants. By the way getting a reservation can be a pain in the *** but I found the perfect loophole to get a reservation for the next day. Our favorites were the Mexican restaurant and Willy's boots. The Mexican restaurant offers great tasty food and mariachi music that provides the perfect ambiance. Willy's is a steak house that offers great steaks and the chance to see brave souls get on the mehanical bull. This was fun to watch. The Italian restaurant was ok but there was nothing especial about it. There were two other restaurants that we did not try..the French one and the seafood one, but I heard from others that they were a delight. The hotel also has an amazing beach that is ample, beautiful and relaxing. The hotel offers great facilities for families with children such as their own pool area, water slides, and small water park. It also offers an adults only area that includes its own private bar, two jacuzzis and a swimming pool. There is a nightly show that is sure to offer someone for everyone one. We laughed to much my abs hurt the next day. My 12 year-old son developed a crush on one of the dancers and it was fun to see him admire beautiful Mexican girls. The activities crew members are a lot of fun and they engage everyone in the process, so let your hair down and have some fun with them. My 12 year-old wants to apply for a job there..lol.

Now the negatives: The check in desk did not explain anything about the shows, the restaurants, or activities in the hotel. You are expected to read the pamphlet on your own and sort of figure things out. The grounds are a bit outdated but honestly the food, ambiance and excellent service (in the restaurants, room service, and the crew) more than made up for it. Our room did not have a safe in it, but they still gave us a key, which I thought was odd. Learn to read the flags on the beach as they provide useful information in regards to when and where it is safe to swim. As much as I liked the recreational crew, there were times that I wished they would be quiet so that I can relax without hearing their voices on the speakers encouraging people to do things. Other than that, prepare to have an amazing time. I met some guest who have been comming back for the last 20 years, and I think that we might be one of those people. To all the staff and crew at the Crown Paradise, thank you so much for your hospitality.God willing we are definately coming back. One more thing, if your sliding door is open be careful opening the door to your room as it gets windy and your door will SLAM really hard.

Lock Haven, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Let's start with the positives:
The hotel is clean. My son absolutely loved it! They have a good amount of activities for children. The entertainment staff is absolutely wonderful, and they work very hard. It is very safe there, and I was comfortable leaving my son with the staff for activities (this is rare for me). The maids are all sweet and helpful. Erik in room service is fabulous and so helpful. We enjoyed the mexican restaurant and they have a great singer. We loved the seafood restaurant, and one of the highlights of our trip was Miguel (our waiter). The hotel beach is nice, and the vendors on the beach do not hassle you and actually have some decent deals. The night shows were great. The spa had nice services. The staff in the gift shops were so nice and fun, and their prices are not off the charts.

Now for the negatives:
The elevators are always broken down. There seemed to be at least one down our entire trip.

The temperature on our room never got lover than 25 degrees celsius, this calculates to 77f which to me is down right hot. It fealt like luke warm air barely coming out. I was sweating the entire time I was there. I contacted the front desk several times and was informed that there was nothing wrong with our air. They have it set so you can't get it any cooler. This is not what I expect when I am paying for a room.

There were ants all over our balcony and little red bugs in the bathroom. They came and sprayed after a few calls, but the red bugs remained through our entire stay.

There are cards you can put on your door for morning room service. Not one single day of our entire stay did morning room service get our order right. When you would call, they were not very cooperative about correcting it.

Our first night there the power was off the entire evening. We were stuck in a crowded, hot, dark lobby for hours. It was terrible. No one ever apologized or offerred anything as compensation for this huge inconvenience. Our room was on the 7the floor, and there are 3 sets of steps between floors so walking up the steps was not an option as I was with a 7 year old and an 82 year old with a cane. I went to the front desk after a couple hours to inquire if there was any idea as to when we could get up to our room as my grandmother was tired and needed her meds. I was told they have no idea and there was nothing they could do. Why does this upset me so much? The entire time, there was a service elevator hooked up to a generator that was working and in use. I finally found out about it from another guest.

I had emailed in advance about having a room on a higher floor with a nice ocean view and was informed it would not be an issue. This was only a concern, I explained, because my grandmother would most likely spend the bulk of her trip on the balcony in the room. We had paid for an ocean view room. Upon check in, I went to the room to find it was on the first floor facing and abandoned hotel. This was a huge issue with me and the front desk. After a couple hours we did get a nice room on the 7th floor facing the pool and the ocean. The front desk was down right nasty. we ended up with a room with a king bed and they were supposed to send a rollaway as we had 3 people. We called many times until we finally got a rollaway.

The entire first day of our vacation was wasted arguing with the front desk, switching rooms, and making calls trying to get the rollaway. It was then capped of by the huge power outage that lasted hours. In my opinion, there sould have been a refund for this. At the very least, an apology. SOMETHING!

Some of the vendors in the lobby are ok. Most are so overpriced it's insulting. I mean insulting. With some of them though, I was able to finally negotiate a fair price.

My last night there I was waiting for a package from a vendor and went to the front desk. The package had not been delivered to the desk. I asked them to help me make a phone call to the vendor from their lobby to see what had happened. Once again, the front desk was downright nasty. They refused to make the call. Then said he would do it for a charge. I finally had absolutely had it and demanded the manager and stood there until he arrived. I have never encountered a front desk like this in my life.

On the morning of our departure we called for bell service and they never came. We ended up dragging all our luggage and carryons down ourselves with no cart for fear of missing our ride.

If you lose your armband there is a $50 charge. Wifi is not free. No fridges in room. They give you cards for beach towel,s and if you lose one there is a $35 charge.

Food is good except for the chicken nuggets which seem to be filled with some kind of oatmeal type mush, not chicken. This only was an issue because that is of course what most kids eat.

Final Thoughts:
If it weren't for the front desk I would go back to this hotel without hesitation. I would probably even buy into their vacation club because my son loved it so much. But, due to the constant poor treatment from the front desk...I will not be back.

Ways to enjoy yourself, prevent issues, and keep your sanity while staying here:
Know that the front desk is not helpful and just be prepared to keep your cool and not let it ruin your vacation.

Just go to the buffet for breakfast and skip starting your morning off by arguing with the morning room service.

Bring your own beach towel.

Bring large plastic cups for use when getting drinks. Their cups are super small.

If you want a chair at the pool you will have to put your towel on one at the crack of dawn. They are filled with towels, but no people by 7am.

Go downtown to buy your trinkets.

Don't be afraid of the bus service. It's cheap, fast, and awesome.

Email in advance and set up reservations for the first couple nights. We did three.

If you do these things, you will probably have an awesome vacation, and the price here is reasonable compared to other places.