“Long review of a great hotel!”

Crown Paradise Club Cancun
Ranked #49 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was my first time to Mexico and it was fantastic! I was dreading getting past the timeshare reps at the airport but they were not a problem at all. We were the first drop off on the transfer and were greeted at reception with some bucks fizz and a cold towel. At check in we were given room cards, towel cards and the key for the free safety deposit box.

Our room was in tower one with a view of the abandoned hotel, but it's not as bad as people make out - its a collection of low rise buildings and doesn't look that bad. We had a fantastic ocean view and because we were at the end of the row we could see all the way down the beach on one side, and the lagoon on the other (room 1519). There were 2 very comfortable beds, quite firm pillows, excellent air con, blackout curtain, loads of storage, nice balcony and a flat screen tv. The bathroom had a good shower, powerful hair dryer (your own will be really slow because of the voltage) and plenty of towels which were changed on a daily basis.

There are 4 pools - the infinity pool has music and entertainment on, there's another very close to this which might have been a kids pool, a covered pool which was closed while we were there but we stayed in the adult pool most of the time. This was great - it has a swim up bar (with steps down to it if you aren't swimming), plenty of sunbeds, canopy shading and excellent bartenders. Tip - take thermal mugs with lids - the plastic hotel cups are quite small and the lids will keep wasps away!

We went to the beach a few times - the current is really strong and can make it difficult getting in and out of the water, as can the shelving of the sand! The water goes from being knee to chest deep in a few steps, but it's gorgeous!! There is a bit of shade on the beach from canopies - most times we went we managed to get one, and there is a bar at the entrance too so you don't have to go far to get a drink.

We ate at all the restaurants except the Italian - the french one was AMAZING - we had steak that was 2 inches thick and cooked perfectly. Fisherman's was great too - we turned up one night without making a reservation and were able to get a table. The buffet restaurant was closed for the 2nd week of our stay for maintainance but was transferred to the Mexican restaurant for breakfast - not sure where it was held for other meals. There was tons of choice - loads of different dishes as well as made to order stations for omelettes and smoothies etc. Have to say the breakfast staff are so helpful and hard working - they really deserve any tips you choose to leave.

We used room service quite a bit as unless you use the shop by the main pool there isn't any where else to get bottled water, so we stocked up most nights. The room service food is good, and the menu quite extensive for room service - things like steak/club/turkey and cheese sandwiches, chicken nuggets (all come with fries), soups, salads, desserts etc. Can be a bit slow but it's a big hotel!

The staff at the hotel are fantastic - they really can't do enough for you and are so hard working it's unreal. I lost my phone while I was on bar crawl and the consierge and reception staff did all they could to try and help me find it (thought I had left it in the taxi). They are also strict on bad behaviour and after a drunk guest at the adult pool started being aggressive they were thrown out. So be warned haha! We tipped alot of the time and it's really appreciated, though not expected. Our rep Laura was also brilliant - we booked a few trips with her and she is full of information and really looks after her guests. We went on the TC project (Thomas Cook bar crawl) - 75 dollars which gets you into Carlos and Charlies, Mandala, Sweet Club and finally Coco Bongo. You get a free bar at all these venues - it's really easy to go over the top (hence losing my phone) but it's worth doing to check them all out in one night, and then you can go to the best ones again another night.

The hotel is a short bus ride away from down town Cancun - any ride costs 8 pesos and if you tell the driver where you are going they will let you know when you arrive. Try the Surfin' Burrito (opposite Senor Frog's) for fantastic food and litre margerita's. They will also go to the Wal-Mart if you need to get anything from there - takes about 40 minutes. The buses run up and down the hotel zone 24 hours a day.

The hotel is also 2 minutes walk away from the El Ray ruins, which cost about 45 pesos to get in and are well worth a look - we went because we didn't want to make the trip to Chichen-Itza. Obviously they aren't as grand or big but they are still impressive and have informative plaques dotted around. Take bread and fruit for the Iguanas and watch them run up to you as soon as they see you throwing stuff! We had about 20 around us at one point!

The weather was brilliant - we had a few cloudy spots and one short storm but other than that it was baking hot and sunny all the trip! Take high factor sun cream as there isn't much breeze so you might be in and out of the pool alot!

All in all, this was a fantastic holiday for me - we have already decided to come back here next year and can't wait to book it! Any questions, feel free to drop me a message ;-)

11  Thank vadc01
Elena A, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear guest, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us here at Crown Paradise Cancun.

We are thrilled to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your first time in Mexico and that you had the chance to enjoy our staff´s exceptional service.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon in one of many future visits to Cancun and perhaps try our excellent food and service in the Italian restaurant that you did not have the opportunity to try. As well as take in some of the theatre shows we have in the hotel nightly, or a leasurely game of mini-golf..............

Best wishes,

Write a ReviewReviews (8,490)

Reviewed October 27, 2012

When reviews are written, they are mainly based on opinion. While these are important, I believe that when writing a review, one should include as many FACTS as possible to offset these opinions. And when reading reviews to decide where to go on your vacation, you should read & weigh as many reviews as possible, taking into consideration that each person/couple/family is different; with different views & different expectations. Therefore, I will base this review mainly on providing you with the facts, before interjecting my minimal (yet important) opinion. Fair? Let's go.

Background: I traveled as the solo 9th wheel of a group of 2 families of eight from Oct 20-27, 2012. All of us between the ages of 27 and 55 (me being 29). No children and no experience with the kid's club or children's activities. We booked the "adult" package of this hotel and recieved purple VIP wristbands to gain access to the adults-only activities and benefits of this hotel. More on this later.

Check-in: Quick and simple for us. We noted that there were times when larger busses of people arrived, the line to check-in was a bit long (5-7 families or so). But you need to expect this. There is not much you can do about it and it could happen at any hotel you choose. The staff greets you with a welcome mimosa to ease your pain.
When finished recieving your room keys and towel cards, the staff brings your luggage to your room. No muss, no fuss.

Rooms: We stayed in the Adult section (the south tower) on the 5th and 7th floors. All of our rooms overlooked the center of the grounds (above the infinity & main pool) and the ocean. Upon arrival, we had a fully stocked fridge with beer, water, and sodas; some fruit; and some champagne and a welcome-note. We also recieved robes that we could use through the week.
The rooms (five total in our group) each contained a king size bed, huge whirlpool tub, and spacious bathroom with granite-looking countertops and shower with a glass door. There were keycode safes in each room for your valuables, which we used daily to keep our passports, cell phones, credit cards, etc. There was plenty of room for your clothes - hangers/closets and drawers. And on the balcony, a table and two plastic chairs.
Each room had a thermostat that could be controlled - mine and three of the other rooms worked fine (although, it's in Celsius, so you'll have to guess on the conversion if you're a Farenheit-user). The fifth room, they couldn't turn it down below 21 Celsius. However, they did not ask for it to be fixed, so I cannot say whether this would have been remedied or not. All of our rooms were humid. Even with the air conditioners on, they were humid. And they do smell slightly old and of mildew or mold. Beachy. However, the pillows and beds were pretty comfortable (in my opinion). Only a sheet and blanket is provided, so if you need more, please ask the hotel.

Pool areas: There are many pools in this resort. First, the kids area (indoor water park, of sorts, and indoor pool). I have no experience with these so I cannot comment.
The four outdoor pools are as follows:
Water slide pool - this is on the north end of the hotel and is just a small splash pool where two waterslides converge.
Infinity & main pools - these face the oceanfront and are family-friendly. There are people of all ages here. Lots of lounge chairs, both in the sun and under canopies so you can avoid the sun if you need. At these pools, there are activities held - contests, games, etc. However, we did not spend any time at these pools and do not know for certain what types of games occurred. If you do want daily entertainment, though, this is the place to be.
These two pools are also near to the poolside snack bar buffett (serving hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, chicken nuggets, etc), the Asian buffett called Fujiyama (which served surprisingly great sushi and Asian dishes), and the bar to get your drinks. You also will turn in your towel cards each day at a kiosk between the two main pools - turn in your card, get a towel. Turn in the towel, get your card back.
Opinion Time: The bathroom by the main pool (next to the snack bar) is absolutely horrific. There are only 2 stalls and there was always a line. It's also down some stairs below ground. The smell is awful. I don't believe that it's because the bathroom is dirty, however. I think it is the combination of being old, very small, with wet people running in and out all day long, and the hotel being right across the street from a water sewage treatment plant.
Adult Pool - To access the adult pool, you have to go up the elevators in the lobby to floor #1 and walk outside. The adult pool faces the lagoon side and NOT the ocean (which was disappointing). It's pretty quiet and was only, at most, about half-full during our time there. The bathroom here is also below ground and smells terrible. Again, I don't believe it's dirty. It's just very small and close to the sewage plant, so I believe that may be a contributing factor. We often went to the lobby to use the restroom to avoid the smell of this bathroom.
Opinion Time: The pros of the adult pool is that it's the only pool with a swim-up bar and the bartenders who work here are INCREDIBLE. Sebastian & Luis were absolute gems and we adored them not because they brought us a continuous supply of beverages, but because they were genuinely nice, hospitable people. We truly enjoyed getting to know them. This pool is also great if you like quiet and there are no kids around.
The cons of this pool.....well, the bathroom of course. Also, you can't get your towels here. You must go to the main pool for them (and to return them). Kind of weird, and a pain. Seems they could maybe have a towel kiosk here, too. I would also have maybe liked an activity or two. They do play music, which is great - but maybe an adult-themed activity or something to get everyone up and moving. Aerobics? Drinking games? Lastly, there is no food near this pool. One must walk to the main pool for this. However, it is ok to bring plates of food back up, which we did several times.

The beach: Lovely. Best I've seen in Mexico. Nothing more to say. Please hang out here at least once.

Bars/clubs: The bars and clubs in this hotel are as follows:

8th floor - this is adults only and is pretty quiet. From 7-11am, it holds the adults only breakfast buffett, which is nice. Great view. It also has a single computer with internet access and a concierge to assist you with your restaurant reservations each day. Edgar, who works here, is a wonderful guy. In the evening, it's a bar - serving drinks and has a nice tv for watching sports.

Collage - big, open, and has a lot of families/kids. There's a little game room attached to this, called Jetix. I think it has pool tables, foosball, and video games, but I'm not 100% sure because I didn't enter. Collage has several tables and a bar, for socializing.

Lobby - the lobby bar is small, but has tables nearby and is always packed. Seemed this was the place to be.

Trafalgar - good bar with great music (plays a lot of British oldies, like Beatles). They have a pool table, darts, tvs, and is kept fairly dark.

Nitro - this is supposed to be the night-club/disco for dancing, but in the entire week, we never saw a single, solitary person inside this club. We checked. Perhaps because there is no bar inside for drinks? Can't be sure, but that is my guess.

The Restaurants (this will include some opinions):

La Palapa - this is the buffett restaurant in the big, giant hut in the center of the property. However, it was closed for renovations during my week stay. Therefore, they turned La Piazza (the Italian restaurant) into the buffett area, temporarily. This was a disappointment because we would have liked to had the Italian food.
The buffett food was only so-so. Decent variety, but nothing to rave about at all. You can find something edible, for sure. But it's worth noting that all of the all-inclusives I've stayed are the same, buffett-wise. Same medicore food at the buffett everywhere you may go.

La Piazza - Italian and must make reservations. However, it was the buffett while we were there, so we can't comment on the food.

Wayne's Boots - Steakhouse of sorts. Reminded me of Texas Roadhouse, minus the peanuts on the floor. They even have a mechanical bull operating each hour. The food here was the worst of all the restaurants. I ordered a steak, cooked medium and it was VERY well-done and thin. The potatoes and veggies were also pretty sad. However the caesar salad and corn soup was good. If you eat here, get the chicken or other dish. Avoid the steak. Also the service was slowest here than in any of the restaurants.

Fujiyama - this is just a lunch place, buffett style, near the infinity pool. Their food is excellent - I really enjoyed the lo mein, fried rice, and sushi.

Fisherman's - this is the seafood restaurant, obviously, and you must make reservations. The food was ok here, but not amazing. We liked it, but wouldn't rave about it. The server we had, however, actually made it a bit worse. He talked in a baby-voice to us the entire time and it was extremely irritating. Hopefully he has better luck with families with children; I'm guessing that's his forte.

Los Gallos - this is the Mexican food and must make reservations. The food is pretty good, we all enjoyed it very much. The atmosphere is also nice, with a mariachi band walking around. During the morning/daytime, it serves as the breakfast buffett for anyone not utilizing the 8th floor adult breakfast. There is more variety here for breakfast than at the adult buffett.

Sans Souci - this is the French, adults-only resaurant, and must make reservations. This was, hands-down, our favorite. The food was absolutely outstanding. We highly recommend the spinach crepes and the French onion soup.

To make reservations at any of the restaurants, you can use the concierge in the lobby, the concierge on the 8th floor adults-only area, or call a phone number that they will give you in your welcome brochure. We always made our reservations a day in advance and never had any problems.

Booze cruise: As part of our package for adults-only, there is a Tuesday booze-and-lunch cruise on the lagoon from 11-3 on the Cancun Queen. The hotel takes you to the marina and brings you back. This was a FANTASTIC time. The food (chicken and veggies) was delicious and the booze was great. One of our favorite bartenders was working the boat that day (Luis), so that made it even more fun for us. They all really get into it with the guests.
The best part of this was that our host, a guy named Axel, was incredible. He hosted the trivia and games for the group and we had a ball with him. Come to find out later, it was his very first time hosting on the Cancun Queen and is one of the newest hotel staff members on the "Animation" team. He was amazing and we truly owe it to him for our great time on the cruise! We also met a lot of other great people during this time, as well, so if you book the adults-only package, please make sure you take advantage of this, even if you're not a drinker. Go and observe and meet people.

Now for the other random information:

On the first day, you will meet with kind of a "greeter" guy who is supposed to give you the run-down of the hotel and everything you need to know. Ours basically sped through the information as quickly as possible and then tried to convince us to book extra Cancun tours through him. He also insisted we come to a "Welcome Breakfast" the next day to recieve more information and "free gifts". He then ended saying "don't forget you must bring a credit card". Uh huh. Of course, we didn't go the breakfast and he ignored us the rest of the week when seeing us in the lobby. We heard that it was to convince people to join their "members only" timeshare type thing. Don't fall for it.

My main complaint was that there wasn't a lot of great activities going on. The efforts are definitely more toward family-type things: activities by the main pool, kids club stuff, etc. I believe that the theater had shows and entertainment each night, but NONE of us recalled our "greeter" guy mentioning this to us. We found out about it at the end of our stay after meeting one of the "Animation" or "Entertainment' guys and hearing about it. I think our greeter was so focused on selling us extras that he didn't explain or highlight some things that might have enhanced our opinioins about the hotel. And that's a shame. I'd have liked to see a show or two.

I need to give a major, major shout-out to some of the staff members.

The bartenders at the adult pool, Sebastian and Luis - wow. They really went above and beyond the call of duty. Not only were they amazing with their services and cleanliness during the week at the bar.......We mentioned on our last night that we wanted to leave the resort to attempt some authentic Mexican food in downtown Cancun. They offered to accompany us, by city bus (which is only $1 for each ride) to downtown and show us a great place to eat. Not only did they accompany us, they sat with us, ordered tons of food for us, translated for us, and we had a GREAT time. The restaurant was truly a Mexican experience - we were the only Americans in the joint! They also ensured we were accompanied back to the correct bus and that we were safe the entire time. We gave them many hugs goodbye and wished them well. I truly believe they are two of the greatest assets of the staff.

Edgar - the 8th floor morning buffett server was excellent. Very friendly and deserves a big pat on the back and hug for his efforts and friendliness.

Additionally - Axel, who turned out to be one of the college interns on the staff, really made our Cancun Queen experience memorable. We enjoyed running into him on other occasions and learning about his experiences. He was a truly friendly, helpful, funny, and hospitable person and we owe a large part of our fun and friendships to him.

This is a family hotel. If you are a couple coming here to meet others and dance and drink and do fun things, I very much recommend an adults-only resort. You can easily avoid the families and kids here, if that's not your style. We managed to, most of the time. We also met a small handful of other adults that we enjoyed. But it's definitely not a hot, hip, happening place for singles or young couples. However, if you have children, it seems like it is probably a great resort. Low cost and has plenty of activities for the kids and other families with children.

The pros: Most of the staff, the beach, the booze-cruise, and the French restaurant (Sans Souci), the Japanese place (Fujiyama) the soft pillows on the beds, the drinks.
The cons: The pool bathrooms, the moldy smell in the rooms, the lack of nightly entertainment & the dance club (Nitro), the lack of information given by our "greeter" guy at the beginning.

Would I come back? Probably not. Should you avoid this hotel? No. Should you definitely run out and book it immediately? No. Do your research. Read my reviews and others and remember that everything is an opinion. Base your decisions on facts and what you hope & expect out of your vacation. Remember that this is not a five-star resort and if you come here, keep your expectations where they are warranted.

Room Tip: Adults only, ocean view
10  Thank lmpaddock
Elena A, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear guest, first and foremost I would like to thank you for visiting Crown Paradise Cancun and our sincere gratitude for taking the time to give us your valuable and detailed feedback. We are pleased to know you enjoyed our staffs`exceptional service. We are fortunate to have an experienced team of hospitality professionals who really understand how important a fun vacation is to our guests.

We readily welcome both positive and constructive comments as it gives us the opportunity to improve our services and facilities.
We hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and you can be a witness of our renovations and continued excellent service our staff provides.

Best wishes

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed at the Crown Paradise Club from October 16-22, 2012. Best time to go, since it was not crowed, the weather was a little cooler and humidity was bearable. Based on my experiences vacationing in Mexico numerous times, this Resort is my least favorite but the kids loved it. The Resort is old; you can see areas in dire need of repairs everywhere.

We booked this resort through Costco Travel and it included free transportation, which was great. Best Day Travel was on time picking and dropping us off at the airport. We booked the package for 6 nights for $900~ $150/night standard room with ocean view. We stayed on tower #2 second floor toward the end of the corridor, closest to the beach. I recommend staying at tower #2, much quieter than the main tower. We had a great view, the room was cleaned and everything worked efficiently. We didn’t have much complain about the resort since we only expected a 3-stars or less for the price we paid.

We didn’t like the buffet because they served the same stuffs day after day and not a lot of choices, but the foods was okay not too bad. While we were there, the La Palapa Buffet was closed for renovations on our last couple days there; we didn’t care much.

We ate at the special restaurants (Fisherman Wharf, Gallos (Mexican) and Wayne’s Boots) and I like the Gallos the best.

There were only two bars that were opened, one was by the pool and the other was in the resort lobby. The drinks were okay.

During our stay, we visited Isla Mujures by catching the local bus (R1) right in front of the resort to Cancun Centro and onto another local bus (red bus) to Puerto Juarez, ferry to the island. We walked down to the beach and stayed at one of the bar that provided cover for free. But you need to order of drinks or foods.

We visited Market 28 and got all our souvenirs there, it were cheaper than Wal-mart.

We visited the Ruinas Del Rey across the street, it’s no comparison to Chichen Itza but we got some good pictures while strolling along the ruins. We paid 42 pesos per person. Do not pay with US dollars.

We tried the Fish Spas at the Luxury Avenue Shopping Mall and it was fun. It was quite an experience; we paid $20 for two – 20 minutes each.

Overall, we had a great time in Cancun. We loved the beaches there, especial Play Del Norte on Isla Mujures. My recommendation for those who are not traveling with kids or looking for 4 or 5 stars resort, than this would not be a suitable resort.

Even those the resort is lack of 4 or 5 stars quality, but the staffs are all 5 stars and beyond. Cancun is safe and the people are friendly. Most likely, we would not return to this resort and the reason is; we like to try out different resort each visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank familyvacation041011
Elena A, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear guest, Thank you for your recent review of your stay at Crown Paradise Cancun. We are happy to hear that your overall stay with us was pleasurable and you had a chance to enjoy our staffs´ exceptional service. Comments as yours inspire us to continue striving to maintain the high level of service and quality that we are known for.

In regards to the food and choices. We do keep some of the same items daily as per popular request by the majority of the guests. We do change a lot of the items and offer a wide variety of other choices at the numerous stations that we have: Delicatessen, Italian, Oriental, Juice bar, Sushi, Salad bar, Soups…..as well as having Italian, French, Steakhouse, Mexican, Seafood restaurants.

Thanks again for taking the time in posting and best wishes on all future travels and hotel stays. If in the Puerta Vallarta area, we have a sister hotel that would welcome the opportunity to demonstrate the high service levels and quality our hotels are know for.

Sincerely

Reviewed October 26, 2012

A short bus trip from the big "western Area" of shops, malls, bars and restaurants. All Inclusive and meals were fabulous. Great variety of food. Drinks only so-so. Very friendly staff. Huge rooms, very clean, great balcony views. Good but not great restaurant selections on the grounds.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank stephen b

Dear guest, we were delighted to have you here with us at Crown Paradise Cancun and thank you for providing feedback on your stay.

We are pleased to know you appreciated our staff´s exceptional service. In regards to the restaurant selection. We do try to offer a variety of options: Italian, Seafood, Sushi, Steakhouse, Mexican, French.......

We look forward to the priviledge of welcoming you and your family again when visiting Cancun,

Best wishes

Reviewed October 25, 2012

2nd year in a row. this time sept 16-22 2012. great for families. my 18month old had a blast. nice kiddie area. 9 year old was in heaven. it was nice and quiet in september. price was great. weather was good. hot. they has shows every night. kids club. they do a really good job here for families. a movie theater for kids. pool tables. ping pong. plenty of pools. adult only sections. resturants were very good. the seafood and mexican resturants were great and the steakhouse (waynes boots) was the best. we ate there 3 times. cant wait to go back. thank you. buffet was ok too.

Room Tip: all rooms are ocean view. away from lobby is probably the quietest. great time again.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Brian021833
Elena A, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review and wonderful comments! We, at Crown Paradise are so glad you decided to give us another try and even more pleased that you had so much fun with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just back from 11 nights in Cancun (my first trip to Mexico) booked with Thomas Cook.

The hotel was your typical modern resort type - lots of bars, multiple pools and restaurants, sports facilities, etc. - and was showing the odd sign of end of season wear, but there were an army of maintenance staff constantly working on improving things in a very unobtrusive way.

Check in and out were probably the worst part of the service. Two or three people dealing with a coach load means that there will inevitably be delays, but after 10 plus hours on a plane a few more minutes (about 15) were a minor inconvenience. My own fault for being polite and letting off the other guests before me!

My room was on the first floor and, given that I was travelling on my own, was furnished with two queen sized beds. There was a large flat screen TV with a few channels showing sitcoms, films and news in English (including BBC World News). The room was simply furnished and spotlessly clean and there was a lot of drawer and hanging space for clothes.

Black out curtains and privacy curtains led out onto a small balcony with a couple of chairs and a table. The air-conditioning was excellent - if anything I found it too cold on occasion and turned it off overnight.

The bathroom was much better than others I have experienced on my travels and always had hot water available with one exception (when I returned late from a trip and, presumably, demand meant that there was no pressure what so ever).

The all-inclusive package is the most extensive I have ever experienced - 24 hour room service included. For those travelling with families the kids' club extends to 9.30pm and includes a "baby monitor" so that parents can be paged if their children are upset - this is included in the price.

On the first floor is an adult only pool with ample sunloungers and a large number of canopies for those wanting to avoid cooking in the fierce sun. There is a swim up bar, a pool of approx 20 metres width, two smaller pools with seating next to the bar and possibly the hardest working man in Mexico - a bartender called Sebas.

For the first 5 days of my holiday I was content to chill by the pool and Sebas was a whirlwind of activity, serving drinks at the bar and then making his rounds to ensure that everyone was kept hydrated.

My only slight gripe about the adult pool is that there was no food service (the hotel have no issue with you getting food from the buffet and bringing it up), but this usually meant that I could take a break from the midday sun in my room and enjoy a steak sandwich and a beer whilst watching re-runs of Seinfeld.

In terms of evening entertainment, there is a theatre (which I did not go to) and several bars. The Collage bar is a sports bar with numerous large screen TV's showing (usually) American sports. The staff in here, like the rest of the hotel, are incredibly courteous and pride themselves on quick service - Lucio and Edgar come in for particular credit. Collage shuts at 11, but those looking for a later drink can head to Trafalgar's - an attempt at an English pub - which has a couple of pool tables (all free) and card tables.

As far as the food is concerned there is the main buffet which is open from 7am until 10.30 in the evening. The food is fresh and plentiful, but not exactly gourmet. The breakfast buffet is enjoyable with a dedicated omelette station where a chef will prepare your choice of ingredients in front of you. Lunch and evening meals are a bit "works canteen" affair, but again the staff are very attentive and will serve wine, etc. which are not available from the self-service area.

There are also a number of a la carte restaurants which are included. In previous trips to all inclusive resorts there has usually been a limit on using these facilities, but here the only limitation was in being able to get a table booked. Reservations open from 8am the previous day and I made it part of my morning routine to book a table for the next night - wake, trip to the loo, brush teeth, book table, breakfast.

There is a steakhouse, a Mexican, an Italian, a seafood, an oriental (it was closed for refurbishment so I did not discover whether it was Chinese or Japanese) and a French restaurant. The latter restaurant is adults only and has more formal dress code.

I did not eat in the steakhouse and heard varying reports of the quality of the food (though the main complainant seemed to enjoy moaning about things). The Mexican was fine if a little bland - they cater for the American market who seem to be gastronomic wimps when it comes to spice. The Italian was very nice, whereas the seafood was a little disappointing (the portions were small and the dishes a bit uninspiring).

However, the French restaurant was absolutely superb. The menu would not have been out of place in a restaurant charging £40 to £50 per person. The wine list is reasonable (you can choose to buy bottles of "premium" wines for between US$25 and $45), but the house red is perfectly acceptable (an Argentinian tempranillo). For those with children you can book a table and leave the kids with the entertainment team and utilise your "baby monitor".

Away from the resort I went to the following:

- Xel Ha - advertised as the world's largest natural aquarium. It cost around £75 for the day with all food (the best buffet food I tasted in Mexico) and drink (including alcohol) included as well as the coach travel. A unique experience and well worth the money - I spent the morning snorkelling in a lagoon and the afternoon lazing down a river in a tyre innertube. Those interested in swimming with dolphins can do that here for an additional cost. Definitely worth Googling this.

- The TC project - a Thomas Cook organised pub crawl round Cancun's nightlife. The trip costs around £50 and includes all your drinks for the evening and entrance to a number of bars and the famous Coco Bongo nightclub. At 42, I was the oldest one of our group and to be honest it was a bit . . . boring. I like a beer as much as the next man, but the hangovers are lasting longer. I am glad I did it, but wouldn't bother if I went back.

- Chichen Itza and Ik Kil - you must do this. At around £100 it was the most expensive of the trips I went on, but worth absolutely every penny and a good deal more. A lot of people were put off by the length of the journey (3 hours each way) but Chichen Itza (the Mayan pyramids) are truly incredible and my only regret is leaving my proper digital SLR camera back in the UK. Awe inspiring.

On the way there we stopped at Ik Kil cenote - a large sinkhole created when the limestone floor of the jungle collapses and fills with water. From the surface of the jungle (Ik Kil and Chichen Itza are in the middle of miles of jungle) the cenote drops 85 feet to a beautiful turquoise blue well of water approximately 200 feet in diameter with vines trailing down from the jungle floor. The water itself is 150 feet deep and full of black catfish.

The best part? You can go swimming in it. Brave souls can jump from a platform approximately 20 feet up into this amazing place. Did I do it? 'Course I did - go on youtube and search for "A fat man jumps into some very deep water in Mexico"! My heart was beating like the clappers, but it was one of the best things I have ever done.

The trip includes a trip to a local arts and crafts shop (similar stuff is available cheaper from the vendors at Chichen Itza if you can haggle) and lunch in a hotel right next to Chichen Itza (drinks not included, but hardly a rip off - £2.25 for a bottle of ice cold beer).

Finally, a word about Thomas Cook's rep at the resort - Laura Savage. Absolutely brilliant. Worked hard to ensure that everyone had all the information they needed, gave help when it was asked for, walked the fine line between promoting trips and being too pushy and genuinely seemed to want to make my holiday a pleasure.

She actually rang me on my final night as I was getting ready for dinner to ask whether I had had a good time on my trip and to remind me of my coach pick up time. Fantastic service and a real credit to her company.

Room Tip: The Crown block (rooms beginning with a 2) are in the newer part of the building. The adult only po...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
14  Thank bobbyzelmut
Elena A, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so glad you found us to be above average and recommendation worthy. We look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

The staff was excellant, very friendly, efficient and go out of their way to please you. Remember to tip for good service, they will remember you. This is truely an all inclusive resort, food, booze, etc... The ocean view was amazing from my room, others complaining about the destroyed hotel next door obviously have never seen other parts of Mexico, just the windows and doors were missing, it WAS NOT an eyesore. The grounds looked fine. I would recommend this resort to other travelers, it's a great value. Yes, there is always room for improvement, Room service menu was very limited, some areas were not available, the indoor pool was closed, not sure why, and the show in the theatre was terrible, have fun, relax in the sun and eat during the day, get your nightly entertainment elsewhere. Overall I had a great experience and would return.

Room Tip: You do not have to upgrade to a "club room" I didn't see much extra value in this, the...
8  Thank spoodie123
Elena A, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Dear guest, thank you for sharing your experience here at Crown Paradise Cancun. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and will return to visit us

We are presently updating the hotel, rooms and a/c system. The reason for the indoor pool being closed is that the tiles around it were being replaced, the above metal structures removed, reinstalled and painted and the renovating the Kid´s club as well. We apologize if it caused a bit of inconvenience for you.

The Food and Beverage department is now under new management. We will inform them of your comment and possibly add more items to the room service menu.

Looking forward to seeing you very soon in the near future