“fabulous time at CPCC”

Crown Paradise Club Cancun
Ranked #58 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
“fabulous time at CPCC”
Reviewed August 23, 2003

We just came back from the Crown Palace. We were there August 14-19 2003. Great place for families and children. Our kids are 6 and 8 and loved the kids club. The hotel was beautiful and the view from our room terrace was breathtaking. we enjoyed eating at all the restaurants but the seafood place. We ate everything but the salads and the fruit and did not get sick.We were a little cautious after reading about what happened to other people that went there and got sick from the fruit.
We stayed in the new tower and the room was lovely. Only minor complaint was the walls are paper thin and you can hear everything. We really weren't in our room at all. Also because it is so hot and humid there was a little bit of a musty odor. Needless to say we had a spectacular time and highly recommend this place for people that want an all-inclusive . We are definitly going back!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,397)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Belize
Reviewed August 23, 2003

As I promised here is my trip report. A little background info. For those that don't know Cancun Baby, I planned a week vacation starting August 16, 2003 with my sister and her oldest son (9 yrs.) and my only daughter (7 yrs.). This was going to be our first vacation together as adult women and we decided we wanted this to be a bonding experience for not only us but also our two kids. I live in Central America and she lives in upstate NY. We see each other about every 2 years. With the kids in mind and after 'millions' of hours on this computer we chose Crown Paradise.All I can say is WOW!! We arrived by bus since we are only 5 ½ hours from Cancun. That was a great value. It cost us $17.50 each way for the Premiere Line. The bus was way too cold and we were prepared with sweatshirts. We left the Chetumal, Mexico border at 12:45 AM. Yes AM! And went traveled through the night. By the time the kids woke up we were in Cancun. We were so excited and anxious to find our hotel. Then we realized what would we do when we get there. We took our time getting our luggage and we got a taxi to the hotel. When we got to the hotel we were getting there with most of the staff. No one was up. The bellboy laughed and took us to check in, when we reached the counter the front desk clerk said, 'Mam, I need your keys to check out.' We said we just got here. She laughed. Then I thought oh hell, we can't get our room until 3 p.m. The front desk clerk looked at us and said we have your room ready we were advised of an early check in but not this early, but we will help you out. They got us a room in the new tower at 7 AM. I was too siked. Keep in mind, no tip yet. Now, while I was checking in my sister was reading the comment book and was giving me a look like 'I am going to kill you, these comments are awful and we are booked here for a week.' I just smiled and we checked in and got to our room. It was perfect for us. We had two double beds, which were quite comfortable, we had a balcony with a somewhat view of the ocean. We figured we had to weigh the good with the bad. We don't have a full view but how much time do we plan spending looking out at the ocean and then here we are at 7 a.m. with a room or we can wait for 8 hour with our two anxious kids. We took our room. My sister loved the bathroom with the movable makeup mirror. Use the safe, it is there for that. Everything was really nice. The new tower is excellent. All right now, Day 1: We went down and had breakfast. The buffets have everything imaginable and I ordered an omelet, tamales and went to town. I had a smoothie and fruit and then I had to say, SLOW DOWN it's not going anywhere. Everything was so yummy. The kids got their kicks ordering pancakes in the image of Mickey Mouse. We were already impressed. We decided to head to Walmart via the bus. Now I have to tell you I LOVE THE BUS SYSTEM in Cancun. We would hop on and hop off. No trouble. Never waited, you have to love it. We bought the kids boogie boards for the beach and beach toys; we got some other knick-knacks and headed home, you see I am calling our hotel home already. We spent the rest of the day at the beach. The water is so blue and clear and the waves are great, there is an undertow but nothing to fret about just be careful. Our kids loved the sea more than the pools. That night they checked into the kids club and had dinner there and they were going to a kids disco, Insomnia for a few hours. My sister and I had made reservations that same day for the Fisherman. It was just fun. We dressed up and had wine and ordered food we never ate before. It is really ritzy and we were still hungry after our 5-course meal, so we just headed to the buffet for fajitas and my favorite sushi. We decided to sneak in on the kids at the disco and they were having a ball. The kids club opens at 9 am and closes around 10 pm. We were able to sign a waiver that our kids could leave with out us getting them. They were big enough and we always had a meeting point. It worked out well. Day 2, we hung out by the main pool. Got seats around 8 am and played lazy. We did do water aerobics and lounged around. Now, there is a killer Japanese restaurant only opened from noon until 5 p.m. Check it out. We fell in love with this place. We tipped the entire staff before we left. They treated us like queens. This was by far our favorite place to eat. The kids did the burgers, wings, and nacho thing all on their own. I hung out at the outdoor bar; they spoiled me with their ' mas poison'. All the drinks were so good. I have no idea what people complain about. Relax, smile, speak your Spanglish and everything will be wonderful. That night we had dinner at Wayne Boots, a serious MUST DO! The kids loved it with the mechanical bull and clown. The food was great. We had ribs, steaks and the steak was cooked exactly how we like it. That day we turned in early because we were spending the next day at XEL-HA.Day 3 We did the all inclusive Xel-ha through Brant. Now, mind you I checked around for deals and we saved $45 dollars booking through Brant. That is the other must but will get into that later. Xel-ha was great but we were disappointed with the snorkeling. I have snorkeled in better sites and I guess we were spoiled living in Belize with the second largest barrier reef, but the coral is so alive with such a variety of fish. The kids enjoyed it and we snorkeled way too long. Before we realized it is was time to eat and that we did. I had drinks, we ate twice and the kids got to know the icecream vendors on a first name basis. It really is the easiest way to go with kids. That night we went to meet Brant Boston at OK Maguey. What a fun restaurant, they have live music and they come and sing at your table. We got our 2 x1 cards that night, it is important to note, that in order to use two cards you have to ask for two checks first. The food was good and so were the drinks. Brant is a great guy, you have to get the card and meet him. As we rolled our way to the bus stop we realized that we would have to walk around the hotel a bit because we couldn't go to sleep on a belly that full. We rolled into the Rumbero Club that had live music for kids and adults. They had a bar in there and everyone was jamming and having a good time. This is truly a family vacation getaway.The next couple days we did a lot of shopping and hanging out at the pool. We had all these trips planned but the kids just wanted to do the kids club and then hang out at the beach. We also has a lucky suprise there was a batch of sea turtles born outside the hotel and they allowed the guest to hold them and ask the enviornmental people questions. A major highlight for all of us. We never got bored with the food but we did get enough of the nightly entertainment. It is somewhat cheesy and the best shows are those that are not performed by the staff. Even our kids got enough. Also check out the gift shops, I found key chains priced cheaper than what I bargained for and a lot of little things are right there. We did go out to Lorito Joe's for the seafood buffet, which we enjoyed, and the nightly visit of the lagoon crocodile, which ate more lobster than I did. (Everyone was throwing his or her food out to him.) We found a coupon on the net for 20% so use it.We got our maid a little gift (a small change purse) and place $5 US in it the first day. That is all it took. We made a mess everyday and our room was spotless with flowers and the towels in forms of animals. The kids would leave her chocolate and a dollar or two. Little things can make the world of a difference. Remember to smile, try the different food, try to speak basic Spanish (hello, please, thank you). I watched how these people work and truly appreciated all the service they gave me. I will return, this is a family vacation. I am not sure if I would take my honeybun on a trip here but when we have our next family reunion it will be there. Look around for vacation packages and take your time when booking a trip. I booked my vacation package through the internet with Heidi at ********** . She was super efficient, answered all my questions, went out of her way in getting me my documents way in advance and best of all, she matches prices. So I found a package that was sold out and she not only matched it she under priced it and bamI had the vacation of my life so affordable. If anything, drop her a line or check out her site.My sister and I figured the people that wrote the crappy comments were people that would be hard to please anywhere. As you can tell we loved this place and highly recommend it.I lived on so many of these forums for months and want to thank everyone for their advice.

15 Thank BelizeQueen42
Reviewed August 22, 2003

We have traveled to Cancun around 8 times and have stayed at the Crown Paradise 3 times. Yes, it is showing its age. Yes, it is not pure luxury. But for families, it is an excellent choice and consistent. We have had few problems at the hotel and any problems were addressed by hotel management with great enthusiasm. We like the variety of facilities and the consistency of the food -- very, very good, but if you're looking for top of the line details, you might be disappointed.
Anyway, over a ten year span, we see many of the same people working there and they are extremely nice and helpful. We have tried an "upgrade" to a more luxurious hotel and were horribly disappointed. So, back to CPC with good food, good people, and, consequently, a good vacation.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 22, 2003

Just returned from a 2 week holiday at CP. We had a really good time.
The food is good, particularly in Waynes Boots and Fishermans. THe sports facilities are great and easily booked. There are always enough sunbeds, despite people moaning otherwise.The food court was spot on and the staff in there were really helpful. The pool bar was okay but the staff were a bit "glum" to say the least. The maid service was excellent. The hotel offers many facilities, however not many of us Brits used the Baby Club - supervision was not what we are used to!!
The Aqua park was great for our 3yr old but many parents left their kids unsupervised which I would not recommend as the "lifeguard" was a bit shy in controlling unruly 10/11yr old boys. The one problem we had was that Family entertainment was an hour long show each night. The Trafalgar bar was adult ony apart from Bingo, when they let the kids in for 2 hours. This is an ideal place for couples at night as kids are only allowed in Romberos which is were we spent every night - a bit tedious towards the end. I wouldn`t come back even though we had a really nice time. If you aren`t too bothered about night time as a family then this is great for you.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 22, 2003

This is the third trip I make to the Crown Paradise, and let me tell you it gets better and better. The beach, the bars, the friendly atmosphere make this a truly wonderful and memorable vacation destination. Even being my third trip there, It still leaves you wanting more. I must admit though, that the shows they put on are rather cheesy, but let me tell you. The Mexican show, is great, and the Fantasy show is Truly entertaining if you have kids. Afterwards, the characters pose for pictures with the crowd. The best advice I can give for making reservations at the restaurants is to do them a day before.
Especially Wayne's Boot's. That one fills up quick. El rumbero isn't what it used to be, in that there are alot more kids there at the pool tables, but its still a great way to spend a night in, if you have to go to bed early for a tour the next day. And speaking of tours, I HIGHLY recomend the Chichen Itza tour. The Mayan ruins are a sight, and I gaurantee, that unless you travel to Egypt, or Mexico city, you will not see any ruins that come close to these. The main pyramid has a view from the top that can match any view on earth. Do take alot of water though, and dress comfortabally. PLEASE do not forget walking shoes.
And as for the Staff at the hotel. Friendliest staff I have EVER encountered. And Alberto in the lobby bar is a crack up. Be careful with him.. He might surprise you with a plastic spider from time to time. please be kind and tip. Over all, I don't think I can say anything that hasn't been said already about this wonderful resort.
Other than if you want to see a lil history, and see some ruins within walking distance, you can cross the street, and walk about 50 yards, and come across some ruins called EL Rey, or the kings ruins. They only charge you about 3 american dollars to go in, and don't expect any Huge ruins. these are small compared to some that are in the Yucatan penninsula. Dolphin Beach is just up the road from the CPC, and around 5:30 in the morning, you can see dolphins playing in the water. If you're up at that hour. Highly recomend taking the bus when you go clubbing, shopping, or into downtown. It only runs you 6 pesos, or a lil under 60 cents. There is a bus stop right outside the hotel. I highly recomend the Crown Paradise. Any questions, please feel free to e-mail me...

Essex, England
Reviewed August 18, 2003

My wife and I had a superb 3 weeks at Crown Paradise in July. After reading mixed reviews on this site, decided to approach with a totally open mind. Yes, there were some minor things that could be improved, but nothing that could detract from an overall excellent place. We had a club room, with jaccuzzi, and mini-bar that are on the top floors of the new tower and are adults only. Also had own concierge and adult only bar on 8th floor. Would highly recommend upgrading to these rooms if possible. Superb view of swimming pools and the beach, rooms cleaned very thoroughly and cleaners also left towels in shape of hearts and swans - a nice touch. The food was excellent, the buffet breakfast offered excellent choice with freshly cooked options. The sushi/chinese restaurant for lunch became a firm favourite, with the burgers, ribs chicken etc an excellent alternative. We tried all of the restaurants in the evenings, except the buffet and all were very good. Our favourite was the 50's adult only restaurant - good food and a nice ambiance, excellent steaks in Waynes Boots, Italian and Seafood also very good. the Mexican was our least favourite - food not very hot on one occasion, but when we tried it again it was fine, so perhaps we just caught them on a bad night!! The entertainment staff work very hard with something going on for kids and adults around the main pool from 10-5.00 daily, although it can get a bit noisy. The adult only pool on 1st floor with swim up bar is a quieter alternative, and there were always sunbeds available there. The beach is very sandy although the current is strong, so need to be a reasonable swimmer. The evening shows were quite good if nothing special. Staff in all areas very friendly and service in restaurants and bars was excellent. Recommend Aqua world's 3 tours for $99 as good value, we done the Jungle Tour, Isla Mujeres and Skyrider all very good. Also went to Xelha, which was very good, although the number of pick-ups going there meant we didn't really have enough time there.The following are areas where there could be some improvement. It was very hot and there was no shade whatsoever on the beach. There was limited shade around the main pool area, and towels were being put on the prime sunbeds at 6.00am!! They advertise dress codes for the restaurants but apart from long trousers in the 50's, these weren't enforced. if they are going to have these codes then at least stick to them or don't bother!! Lobby area was very stuffy, could do with some fans. Breakfast buffet was disorganised, sometimes hard to find a table, then when you did so someone would take your chair or cups whilst you are getting your food!!! Biggest downer was that my camera was stolen from the lobby, not hotels fault, but one time when staff less than helpful and fairly disinterested.

3 Thank RayEssex_England
Reviewed August 17, 2003

I stayed at the CPC from August 9th to the 16th and I must say it was worth every penny. They didn't have the room that my boyfriend and I reserved, so we were upgraded at no extra charge. It was great. The food was good, espeially the steak house and the seafood place. Even the food court had good food. The staff is very friendly and helpful.
The bar drinks were not watered down, as said in previous reveiws. It was a very good vacation and if I go to cancun again, I will most likely stay there. Their was one minor complaint, and that is that the mattress was very hard, but I still slept fine. I highly recommend this resort to anyone who wants their moneys worth at an all inclusive resort.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
GR Caribe by Solaris
GR Caribe by Solaris
#25 of 175 in Cancun
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Crown Paradise Club Cancun? Share your experiences!