“Unforgettable”
Review of Casa Maya Cancun

Casa Maya Cancun
Ranked #63 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed July 15, 2009

My husband and I spent our honeymoon in this hotel and we really enjoy our stay there. The people in the hotel are super extra nice and it is my favorite beach in cancun since it is relaxing and there are no many wave so you can lay down in the beach and enjoy the weather and some margaritas!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kcottin

Reviewed July 1, 2009

Spent 10 days in Mexico - 2 nights at Casa Maya. I used cash everywhere I went (including the hotel we stayed at in Playa del Carmen, which was reserved with an American Express.

When we arrived at Casa Maya, I said I wanted to pay cash for the room, but they needed a credit card for incidentals. No problem there, but I watched them take my Mastercard (which hadn't been used or out of my sight throughout the trip) and slide it through an old school carbon copy machine.

When we got back home, I started seeing charges in pesos appearing on the card from online vendors. Again, I only used this card at Casa Maya - the ATM withdrawals were made with a different bank card. The card was immediately canceled and investigated; however, it was still a pain to have to change all my auto payments, etc. with the card. I am 100% confident that an employee of Casa Maya took the numbers off the carbon copy to make online purchases. In fact, you will find similar stories if you read through reviews on this site and others.

As far as the hotel accommodations, it was alright. We are young and didn't get targeted for time share deals. There are some extremely cheesy events here, which is great if you are into that.

Really, this is one of two or three decent places you can stay in Cancun without shelling out big bucks. I would not shy against staying here if I had to go to Cancun again. I don't - there are so many better places in Mexico and even in the Yucatan. If I did stay here again, I would take an expired credit card and pay for the room with cash. Either that or make sure you keep a close eye on your card for a few months.

I would not recommend this hotel to a friend unless they had to stay in Cancun and didn't want to spend 200-300/night. However, there aren't many choices in this price range..

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JK-RO
Reviewed June 20, 2009

Casa Maya was a very nice hotel. When you go back and read older reviews you are not sure what to expect. The hotel was very nice and very CLEAN!!! There was always someone cleaning something. You could probably have eaten off the floors. They even had a machine that "swept" the beach at night to clean it up and smooth the sand. Check in was very easy and the staff was very friendly. Communicatiing with the staff and waiters was not difficult.(remember you are in their country where Spanish is the language..and it's not their fault you can't speak their language) We were met by Marcella who was very nice and we ended up signing up to do the time share tour b/c we were given these bracelets which gave us great discounts on the stores and food and drinks if we did it. The tour was only about and hour and they give you a free breakfast, you look at a room, talk to a sales guy(we had Mark the Englishman, very nice) and then decline or not and go about your way. There was no pressure!!
Our room overlooked the harbor which was acutally quite beautiful, we got to see the sunset every night. The beach was absolutely amazing and the water was gorgeous. It really is probably the best stretch of beach in the hotel zone. In previous post people complain about the smell....it smells like a hotel!! We did catamaran boat ride which we booked through the hotel(down at the hut where you get your towels) It was well worth the $45 we payed for it. The only reason didn't give my review 5 stars was because our second to last night there the hotel generators caught on fire...no power, no water Everyone was okay and this was NOT the hotels fault, but it was a bit chaotic trying to get everything and everyone shifted to another hotel. The staff was great and worked themselves to death trying to make it right for everyone, but we didn't get to finish our vacation here. However, I would definitely stay here again. I had a great time while I was here!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank iluvekats
Reviewed June 18, 2009

The resort was old, smelled like mildew. It was not updated and they had to replace our refrigerator after two days. Our food spoiled and they didn't reinburse us. The staff could barely speak English and not friendly at all. The rooms were below average,,,,but not of normal standards traveling with Interval. They advertised ocean view...we got a view of the parking lot. And when we requested a change...they were rude and unwilling to assist us. I was traveling with a party of 7 people and I will never go there again..I was embrassed. And when I complained to Interval staff that were unable to help as well. So.....basically don't stay there...and be careful when booking with Interval....They were not completely honest when they told me we would have a ocean view.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank ladytabron48
Reviewed June 4, 2009

Ok, so this isn't a 5 star hotel....

but if you want some laid back relaxation - this is the place!

We had a suite - which was 1 bedroom with a full sized frig and microwave and a dining table and all the dishes. It was clean and had a large bath and a small changing area which I really liked. The bedroom was very large. Yes, the bed was firm, but for me with a bad back it was actually great!

Now - the view - the beautiful view.... that fabulous turqoise ocean and the pool... what more can you say?

We did the timeshare breakfast - it wasn't that bad - the minute we said no - we were out of there.

We did the two for one deal - which you should consider if you'll be eating and drinking there. We generally do an activity off site one day, then hang out the pool and relax the next day, so this was great for us. I loved the pool out front - and I really, really loved the bar! Nice snacks, great drinks, fabulous bartended - and the entertainment (bingo and a fashion show) was a hoot!

The beach is just great - the waves are very small, they clean up the seaweed every morning and literally comb the beach clean. The water is warm and you practically float in it with no effort.

We ate quite a few times at their restaurant outside as we were tired and didn't want to go off site. It was so-so - but the service was good and it was relaxing not to have to take a bus or cab somewhere.

One night they had a party on the beach which was free dinner and some local dancers and they gave us a table up front and we really enjoyed it.

If you want to just chill out and sit by the pool and read and have a cold one - this is the place.

We will absolutely return.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pamaround
Reviewed May 31, 2009

My fiance and I just returned from Cancun on May 29. I did an exchange through Interval International with the intent of us staying at Casa Maya for the entire week. I'm the planner, and take great pride in researching where we stay on vacations. Initially, we had reservations for Los Cabos, but due to demands at work, had to switch my weeks and the resort I booked in Cabo was no longer available, so in a short time span, chose Casa Maya. I read all of the reviews, and felt pretty ok with this place, until we got there. Some of the reviews spoke to the fact that it is an older hotel, but well maintained....which is true. Another said that if you are use to 5 star hotels, this is not the place for you....which is also true. I realize now that after staying there for one night (more on that later), I am a 5 star hotel type of gal.

Check-In - We got there around 3:00 and was told that our room was not ready. We found out later, that everyone who was checking in was told that same thing. I kept asking for an ocean view, and was told that they have to check to see if it's available. Now, if you know our room isn't ready, then you should know whether it's an ocean view. Plus, the hotel was not at full occupancy. They were sending everyone to the lobby (or bar), to wait for a pitch from the hotel timeshare staff. It was obvious they were struggling for business. We had to sit and listen to this woman (who also called my home in the US just to confirm that we were still coming), for over a hour. She kept going back and forth telling us that the room was still not ready. She even bought us a round of drinks. Finally, when we get to the room (which she goes with us), as soon as we got off of the elevator, we were hit with this moldy, musty smell. It was like when you leave clothes in the washer for days on end, she even noticed it. Once in the room, the smell did not go away. We did have a balcony with an ocean view (which was nice), but there were two full size beds (which we didn't like), plus they were very hard (which I didn't care for, but my fiance didn't mind), and the room was so outdated there was rust on the appliances. I requested another room, and was told that nothing could be done until the next day. In the meantime, we went to Walmart and was talked into going on a timeshare presentation the next day. When the person came to pick us up, she was not allowed to come on Casa Maya's property (she warned us of that the day before). As we were going through the lobby to meet her, we were literally harassed by the staff at Casa Maya telling us that it is illegal for them to show us another property, and we felt like we were being ganged up on. On top of that the staff was taking pictures of the person picking us up, and giving her the "finger". It was very annoying and an uncomfortable experience. We should be able to go where ever we want without scrutiny from the hotel staff.

We viewed Mayan Palace in Riviera Maya which was absolutely gorgeous. To make an already long story short, we didn't buy, but we worked it out where we could stay there, so we checked out of Casa Maya and was in a one bedroom suite at Mayan Palace for the next five nights. It has an 18 hole golf course, nine restaurants, and a pool that is unbelievable. They also have a spa and fantastic work-out room that overlooks the ocean. I'm not knocking Casa Maya, but it just wasn't the place for us.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DTTraveler
Reviewed May 12, 2009

This hotel was extremely clean and in a great location. The room was super spacious and it had a kitchen which allowed us to save by cooking meals at times. The staff was super friendly and very courteous.

You can take the bus anywhere! The bus drivers are extremely friendly and speak English. They will guide you and let you know when your stop is coming up. No need to take taxis which charge too much. The bus is less than a US $1 ($7.50 Mexican Pesos). Dollar value is $13.50 pesos per dollar. Extremely easy on the bus.....can't get lost.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends