“great resort”

Casa Maya Cancun
Ranked #60 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Wolverhampton , England
Reviewed September 29, 2004

Our trip was 9/10 - 24/10 and we sat through the edge of hurricane Ivan. even though the weather was bad the hotel staff took great care of us giving us information and advice, we never really left the hotel in these two bad days but we still had a good time in the bar and restaurant. When the weather was nice the pool area was great with lots of fun and activities to do or you could just relax and chill, plus the added bonus is the beach is just 10 yards away which is beautifull. The activities staff also arrange great nights out to most of the towns best bars and night clubs giving you VIP access and free transport. The rooms are immaculately cleaned every day and all the views are breathtaking. Overall this has been my best trip yet and i hope to return there in the future

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,416)

Reviewed September 23, 2004

We stayed at the Casa Maya in august of 1998. It was very nice. Loved the beach, sooo calm and transparent. The Coco Loco bar had some good drinks and good food. Breakfast was included and it was a great buffet. The front people were very polite and helpful.

The only thing I didn't like was the decor of the place.

1  Thank CancunES
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed September 12, 2004

I just got back September 11, 2004. I stayed in one of the older one bedroom full kitchen ocean view rooms for 1 week. It was incredible. The unit was very clean and the kitchen was was equipped with everything you would need (toaster, blender, coffee maker, pot and pans, full size fridge with freezer, plates, utensils) there was maid service everyday. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The staff cleans the pools two times or more a day and is always cleaning some part of the resort. They even clean the beach chairs... The beaches are cleaned every morning. I was totally impressed with the resort. The buffet food is great. I walked down the hotel zone and was not as impressed with the beach there as the beach at the Casa Maya. It is BEAUTIFUL. The staff uses hand trimmers to trim the shrubbs so as to not disturb the guests. I recommed going and staying at the Casa Maya --I did not want to leave. I highly recommed going to Xcaret on a tour. I can't wait to go back!!!!!! If you have any more questions send me an Email.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Michigan
Reviewed September 11, 2004

My sister, a couple of friends, and I stayed at the Casa Maya last May. As students, we got ahold of a promo deal and paid a significantly reduced rate. Regardless, we were treated excellently by all of the staff, especially the recreation people. We spent many afternoons on the beach playing volleyball with them. Warning: the sand court has a cement slab underlying so be careful. The pirate ships docked just West of the hotel beach are an awesome place to snorkle for free. We heard about some pricey places in the area, but were content to save our money. We saw some small dogfish-type sharks, starfish, and many others, very cool! On a student budget, we shopped at Sam's Club and were able to make most of our breakfasts and lunches in the room, so I cannot speak to the value of the restaurants. But, one night we bought some spare ribs at the grocery store and the staff at the outdoor restaurant barbequed them for a very minimal price...it was excellent! I would highly recommend this hotel. If you want to be in the thick of the hotel zone, it's not...however, the public transportation system is very user friendly and cheap. Besides, the location keeps masses of people from crowding the sidewalks in front of the hotel.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 6, 2004

I understand this hotel is under construction? We are using a timeshare week and am wondering if we should wait..if anyone has stayed here since the construction began in Aug would you please give me your personal experience. Thanks!!

1  Thank deleki
La Puente, CA
Reviewed August 19, 2004

We just got back from the Casa Maya. We were there the week of August 7 -14. We got the whole week for $499.00. I must admit that I was very pleased with the room. We got one of the remodeled rooms with garden view. It is like a 1 bedroom apartment/condo. It was my husband and my 3 children ages 12, 7 and 3. The hotel pools are nice and very clean. The people are very friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast is very delicious. They also have a buffet out by the pool every night which we ate twice and the food was to die for. Everyone says that Cancun is so expensive. Well I look at it this way, you go to Disneyland or any other theme park and the soda, bottled water, popcorn, etc is going to cost you what $4 - $5 bucks at least. The food about $10 for a burger and drink. Well it's the same in Cancun or Hawaii or Orlando. There are a lot of Malls and markets around. The bus is only 6 pesos 60 cents each way. The taxi is about $7.50 each way into the malls. We went to Xcaret but got there late because of the orientation, so we only went thru what I call the caves they call it the underground river. It was beautiful as I remember it years back before having kids. Be prepared because the water is very, very cold, but worth it. They have this 2 hour show at night and it is a "must see". Even my kids enjoyed it. DONT MISS THE SHOW! We also went to Xelha which is similar to Xcaret. We got the all inclusive which we got for $69 for adults including Xport and we ate 3 meals that were delicous and the towels/snorkeling equipment/alcoholic beverages/bottled water/everything was included. We got a lot of discounts because of the presentation we went to. We also went to Parque Nizuc (WetnWild) which is a very small version of a water park with only 4 big slides and a wave pool (very cool) and a pretty good size area for the little ones. My kids love the water so they really enjoyed it. The Casa Maya is about the 5th hotel coming in from the airport. It is an old hotel that has almost all rooms remodeled. I feel we got an excellent deal. On the other side (hotel zone) they have beautiful hotels and the beach is aqua blue (beautiful) but the waves are most of the times too strong for swimming. We have stayed at the Fiesta Americana Condesa which is beautiful. The Casa Maya is on the Bahia side with has no waves except for one of the days that it was a bit breezy. There are some rocks but if you carefully cross over them then you can feel and see the sand. The water is clear but the snorkeling is not that great as you swim maybe 40 - 50 feet into the beach the water is not clear because there is like some kind of seaweed or something. There is so many hotels to pick from, next time I think we will try a hotel on the hotel zone, but with the space and comfort of the Casa Maya. Please email me if you have any questions.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
anaheim,ca
Reviewed July 25, 2004

We were at casa maya 6/12-6/19 we had a great time. The property is older but well maintained.
I reccomend buying the amigo package you pay $75usd and get $100 in hotel credit and you can renew it too(they say you can't but you can use your credit to tip waiters also). If using VIP transport shuttle to the air port make sure you confirm a couple of days before you leave. Go to walmart the booze is so cheap, 6pk of coronas for a less than 2usd, carton of smokes 15usd. This property is perfect for families not a real party crowd. Also they have a massage special $150 for 4 people 1 hour hollistic full body (highly reccomended). The captain hook pirate ship was a very fun dinner cruise. You can rent jet skis at the property for $65 per hour. Be careful when shopping in the downtown area at night, we were shopping on Tulum around 9pm and there are a lot of shady characters. There are alot of good deals to be had at the flea market stores around the night club area, The shopkeepers will overcharge for everything assuming you are going to haggle the price, so I would always offer them half of there asking price as a general rule of thumb. They are all selling the same merchandise so bargaining power is great. Alot of vendors were selling illegal drugs....be careful.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member