“Elite rooms are great” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #67 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
London, United Kingdom
“Elite rooms are great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

Back for our eighth consecutive holiday at the Casa Maya.
Last year we upgraded our ownership to their new "Elite" class. The rooms are all refurnished and redecorated, and whilst the basic layout remains the same, the furnishings and kitchen equipment have all been brought up to date. Little touches like designer stainless steel cutlery, modern (for North America) design of liquidiser, coffee maker and cooker hob all help to make this a home from home. The Elite rooms include a well-appointed lounge serving a continental breakfast (fruit and pastries, coffee and juice), and snacks in the afternoon. The snacks were nothing to write home about, there was a fun atmosphere in the lounge.
The wifi in the room was a real boon.
This year we had family and friends with us, so rather than doing our usual excursions, we spent a lot of time on the beach, mainly in the area reserved for Elite guests. Great fun to watch the arguments between the security staff trying to keep "ordinary" people away, and the townsfolk asserting their rights to use the beach (no such thing as a private beach under Mexican law - it's all federal property... officially).

Economic problems and fears of insecurity meant that there were very few norteamericanos, so the pool and surroundings were nice and quiet, well occupied with Mexican families. Pity the poor waiting staff, though, who have seen their tip income plummet!

We look forward to heading back again next year.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ChrisBarnett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
Newark, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

Let me start by addressing the positives; the beach was clean and the wait staff was pleasant. THAT WAS ABOUT IT. When I tried to confirm my room over the phone three days before, I was told that I would have a "representative" give me all my information when I arrived. I read the reviews about this place and didn't want to believe all of the negative comments; about the hotel being one of the oldest and outdated, the smells, the lack of amenities, but every negative comment was true. This representative was nothing more than a full court press to buy a time share. When I saw what type of room we were getting, I was appalled. It reiched of mold and mildew and the furniture, carpet, beds, (more on those later) and curtains looked like they were still there from the early 80's. When I asked for an upgrade, I was first told that there were no rooms, and then this same guy, Alfredo, I think his name was, told me that I could get an upgraded room only if I sat for the time share presentation. Now being a time share owner for many years now, I knew what kind of scam this was, but even after I complained to the manager, (who was completely aloof to my dilemma) nothing changed so we reluctantly agreed to sit for the time share rap.

So now I'm thinking that at least we were going to get a better room. When we get there, it's the SAME TYPE of room! It was just facing the water instead of the street! And I do mean same type of room, and in addition to the other smells, a clear smell of sewage as well. At this point, I was fit to be tied. My other half, who is a paragon of patience and good will, convinced me to ride it out and wait until the following morning. When we asked AGAIN to have a more modern room and even offered to pay more, we were stalled and delayed until finally we were told that there were no more rooms available. This was the straw that broke my back because as we walked through the hotel, we clearly saw several rooms on the premium floors vacant.

So now I'm stuck in this hell hole; the beds were so hard we had to call for mattress covers which made it just bearable enough to sleep, the room still smells, and the family next door's screaming kids could be heard as if they were in the room with us. The beach and pool were COMPLETELY overrun by scores of Mexican families, (who appeared to have brought four generations worth of family each) so the option of just sitting by the pool or beach relaxing was completely moot. There were two restaurants (although the best was open only for breakfast) and the main restaurant was average at best. The bar was rarely open, and when it was, there was very little variety in terms of drinks. Their idea of nightly entertainment was a guy sitting in the bar, (with no drinks!) playing a keyboard. It was official; I was in vacation hell.

So we go to the timeshare presentation and this completely ostentatious woman had the audacity to tell us that we were buying a prime opportunity! When I told her that I wouldn't dream of buying there after the way we were treated, and the dated condition of the hotel, she had the nerve to say "Well that's Cancun; you are buying in a high demand area! Hawaii and the Dominican Republic are all open now because everyone wants to come here. It's like being at the Super Bowl; you don't care if it's the worst seat in the house, you are just happy to be there." At that point, my normally even-tempered and unfailingly kind fiancée just lost it. After a few choice words we were out of that 90 minute presentation in 20 minutes flat.

Had it not been for our excursions, (which we took so we could spend as much time away from Casa Maya as possible) the week would have been a total disaster. As a near 30 year travel veteran, this ranked in my top three WORST hotel stays of all time. There are plenty of more modern and exciting hotels in the area. Save yourself the headache and avoid this place at all cost. You'll be so glad you did!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dragonfire23
Whittier, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

My family just returned from our vacation. We have been timeshare owners for many years but had not used our place for four years. Now I know why. Our room smelled stale just as other reviews mention. Our bathroom tub had rust and broken counter tiles. the AC was just okay but felt muggy at times. We had to ask for extra towels because they didn't have all the towels when we started. We have the two bedroom timeshare and we had to move to another room since our first room was terrible. Our second room was okay. they got to us do the owners breakfast and when we didn't want to upgrade they became rude. the front desk was also rude. do not recommend.

Room Tip: rooms are old, request building 2 which is a little newer, when people move the chairs around up abo...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

Not worth the price at all! My husband and I arrived late in the afternoon and thought things would be okay...got to the room to find two twitching cockroaches on the floor. Found out they had sprayed the following day and hadn't cleaned the room. Not only that, we were told if we wanted a different room we had to pay more!

Also, toll free calls you have to pay the hotel for, not a ridiculous amount but still annoying. Internet is only available in the hot and humid lobby and good luck with your towels and the cards they use, one of our towels was stolen when we went to get drinks!

The beach was interesting. The hotel is situated between two public beaches and has a ton of seaweed on the beach whenever you go. Because of the public beaches you have vendors that walk on the private beach.

The hotel also offers no transportation to the downtown areas and good luck getting help if you are white and go to this hotel and don't expect a good night's sleep with kids running and knocking on the doors and sleeping on a bed that seems like it is completely made of wood.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank guest76584
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

We did a time share exchange for this hotel, staying a week for a family vacation. The facilities were fine - a bit dated but served our purposes for a base as we explored everything Cancun had to offer. The staff that greets you upon arrive was not. They held our keys to our room hostage until we would agree to listen to a sales pitch for a presentation of the property. We felt ambushed and bullied and not at all happy - this has never been our experience at any other locations using our time share and/or exchange. I will say the cleaning staff and activities staff were great.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank ksr2001
Simi Valley, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

The resort itself was ok. Rooms were comfortable and clean. However....they start selling you on their ownership from the moment you arrive. We took the redeye and arrived late morning. Our welcome person immediately sat us down to help plan our week. Talked and talked about you can do this and that, wouldnn't take no for an answer.
Stay away from their timeshare presentation. Unless you want to waste 3 hrs of the day.
When you tell the sales person no thy then get the supervisor. And they go on for another
20-30 minutes. After that the general manager tries again. And finally the girl you says goodbye tries to close.
The help at the front desk is terrible. i needed to make a collect call and had trouble using the pay phone. They offered me no assitance to make the call.
The food at the restaurant was terrible, very expensive...VERY POOR QUALITY.
The check out is worst. Overall this resort is one to avoid.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
8 Thank daveandlidia070585
rex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

I exchange my timeshare in Vegas for Casa Maya Cancun and was not impressed at all. For one the hotel/timeshare has very little to offer. Not a lot of activities or entertainment. So there is virtually nothing to do. So if you are rained in like we were then you are stuck in your room with no inside hotel activities. I would expect they would have a back up plan for rainy days like a game center (pool tables table tennis arcade something), dancing lessons, real live Mexican music since we are in Mexico and not horrible American renditions. So on to our rooms, first our room smelled like mildew, don't think they have ever shampooed the carpet in the bedrooms. We were given two smaller than full size beds, which doesn't quite work for a man who is 6'4" and a woman who is 5'9", quite cramped. On top of that the people above us seemed like they were literally moving furniture the entire day and night. So we were finally moved to another room on day 3 and that one still smelled like mildew but we were just happy to have a king sized bed. We were still able to hear noise on the level above but not quite as much and we just summarized that the hotel has very thin walls. We were taken on the timeshare tour and of course they show you the Elite rooms which make you disgusted that you have to go back to your regular room, but I wouldmt purchase here if it was dirt cheap because the hotel has nothing to offer to make it worth the purchase. The beach is like the Atlantic and not clear blue waters like your would expect. We were finally able to go over to isla mujeres on the one day it didn't rain and it was absolutely beautiful with gorgeous clear waters and many activities. Once we got back to our hotel at the end of the day there were still no activities going on now that the rain had ended. Absolutely boring and believe me my boyfriend and I are not hard to please. I would not recommend this hotel at all and because of this experience I don't believe we are interested in ever returning to Cancun. We heard so many good things but was just not impressed. We have been to better places and if you get the chance please visit Punta Cana DR and stay at the Ocean Blue (H10 Hotel) all inclusive very inexpensive and absolutely beautiful. More than you could ever expect. Hope this review helped!

Room Tip: Be specific in what you want.....king size bed.etc
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple