“The reviews are absolutely true!”

Omni Cancun Resort & Villas
Ranked #39 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Idaho
“The reviews are absolutely true!”
Reviewed November 3, 2010

We just got back from the Omni today and I couldn't wait to write a review. FANTASTIC was our vacation. 6 nights of heaven. The reviews about the service are all true. We loved everyone at the Omni. Conselo on the beach - the BEST server ever. Great personality and she is always on the move and seems to read your mind and is always there right when you are thinking about something. The Jacuzzi bar - excellent. Beach - fantastic. ALL food that we had was great. They had a theme each night in the La Palma buffet - italian, spanish, shis-kabob, mexican all really good. We had breakfast there every morning and it was killer good each day - and yes one day we got that secret bacon! I got into the habit of getting some tortillas - which they would warm up for me and then get whatever the special meat was - one day fajitas, another suckling pig and make little tacos with plenty of cilantro, onion and fresh salsa. Little tacos for breakfast? You Bet!

We had shrimp cocktail and fresh guacamole and salsa and chips in the Pina Colada beach restaurant - very very good. Then on Monday the Sushi bar opened up - sigh - more food - we had to have sushi on Monday and Tuesday with some margarittas and it was very very good.

We ate at Davinchi twice - it was just ok for us - nothing too special, but I would recommend the mushroom soup, the gulf shrimp, the salmon and the ceasar salad.

Our favorites - Conseulo on the beach, both the massage guys - very funny, Angelina at the pool - and Alfredo for dinner in the La Palma. All the gals in the lounge.

We wanted a small resort - as we aren't looking for nightlife, and the Omni was perfect for us. The room was great - we did get an Ocean view and enjoyed the balcony. We had no problem with sound, and I did take advantage of the free wi-fi - it was a little slow, but suited my purposes fine.

Now for just a tiny tiny negative. We are beer drinkers and were disappointed by the beer selection - mostly because it was not cold. And even when it was slightly cold it got warm so fast - and with the selections being Sol, Dos XX and Tecate, warm = not good. Of course there are plenty of other things to drink, but we just would have liked to have colder beer and maybe some more selection.

We are already planning our next trip - we will be going back for sure. We met a couple how have been going there for 20 years and that is what we plan to do -

1 Thank lovetotravelalot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,241)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Indianapolis
Reviewed November 2, 2010

I stayed at the Omni Cancun from August 22nd, to September 1st on my eighth trip to this particular property; the trip was flawless. It was nice to see the tourist zone plant life maturing to pre-hurricane Wilma times. Although the fingers of land that reach into the lagoon are making a slower comeback. However, Cancun as a whole is really looking good. At the resort, I enjoyed multiple spa treatments ranging from a therapeutic massage, a body wrap designed to cool my sunburn (I was completely relieved by next morning), and a facial with eye treatment to help my sorry-aging-game at 40. Two sessions were handled by one masseuse, and the facial by another. Both of these ladies were experts at their trade. I found the treatments to be well worth the price, averaging mid-hundred for 80 minutes or so. The gym is upgraded with new equipment that works just fine. Complementary lemon tinged water, regular water, and towels are a nice touch. My room #1846 was positioned nicely with a panoramic of the outdoor festivities and sea. I was pleased with the new style in room safe that is digital with your own custom combo. The previous safe was keyed like in many other hotels, which lends itself to safety hassles. The room was cleaned properly on a daily basis. Furthermore, the halls wafted with a pleasant freshness. I noticed maids with dust mops pushing endlessly over the marble floors in the foyer during business hours. I found the cuisine to be well prepared at each restaurant. Unfortunately, I did not make it to Da Vinci, so It would not be fair to you to comment on that this time around. It is normally upscale in cuisine and decor; reservations are a must during busy season. That means reserve a table with your travel agent at the time of booking your trip if you want an assured spot. There should be no problem during off season. I would recommend that you look up these veteran waiters and waitresses for the tops in service. Mario works dinner in the La Paloma, Enrique is at the beach front Pina Colada for lunch, Beatriz serves drinks on the beach, and Carlos is your guy for breakfast. Jorge works Da Vinci if you decide to dine there. I have known these people beyond the resort for 10 years, and there will be no problems. The beach is still spacious, but I am sorry to see that it has lost about 40 yards due to erosion. It has still not recovered from hurricane Wilma. There are nice cabanas on the beach next to the jacuzzi bar at $25 from 9-5. This offers a bit of privacy if your kicking it with someone. I would rate the ocean waters to be intermediate/advanced during red flag times. You are dealing with some unpredictably, tumultuous surf here that will roll you hard. I have seen that water yank the britches straight off many a traveller. I can't remember if I posted this on my last Omni review ("No Problems"), but a wave rolled me 100 yards diagonally to shore in seconds. I am 240 pounds of solid muscle, with a long back round in swimming... It can be nasty like that if you decide to play. I had water randomly draining out of my sinuses till late in the evening. That does not help when flirting with local beauties. If you can get past the first few rounds of crash, then you're much better able to enjoy hangout time; keep a watchful eye, or wait for green to yellow posted flags. I expect to be back to this property in January or February, and am giving this resort another solid thumbs up. P.S. Check with your travel agent about helicopter tours of the coast. They are really reasonable ranging from $80 per person on up. Moreover, you can charter your own pilot for $1200 (total for 2 people) to $1800 (total for 3 people) an hour.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
NewJersey
Reviewed November 2, 2010

We just returned from the Omni on Sunday spending 4 nights in this lovely hotel. My husband & I traveled with another couple (no kids this time) and it was the first time any of us had used an all-inclusive hotel. I have to say the most impressive thing to me was the cleanliness of the hotel and the staff. Everyone there is so nice and friendly. We ordered room service for coffee in the morning and then when everyone was ready we went down to the buffet breakfast. That was my favorite meal, everything from french toast to eggs made to order. Lunch was either in the dining room or the beach restaurant, both were very good. We had dinner in the buffet dining room where they had themed nights and one night at Da Vinci. I wasn't impressed with the dinners or Da Vinci but, many people have written that they loved it. That's okay, there was still plenty of food. The beach was gorgeous! The red flags were up the whole time we were there but the men loved the waves so that was fine too. We took the bus downtown to do some shopping and found a great mall for souveniors etc. Very easy to take the bus down and back. All said it was a great get away for us. Not much to do at night in the hotel itself but, if you leave the hotel you'll find plenty of nightlife.

1 Thank cerj2
NY NY
Reviewed October 29, 2010

We learned about a package deal at the Omni after receiving an e-mail about a TNT Vacations offering from TravelZoo.com. Before booking, we first checked out the Omni on TripAdvisor.com and saw one stellar review after another, with almost every review pointing out Omni’s excellent customer service. We were also impressed that the hotel manager responded to those few reviews containing complaints.

In short, our 7-day stay during the last week of October was incredible. We experienced the same superlative customer service mentioned in TripAdvisor.com reviews. From the moment we stepped into the lobby until we checked out, we were met with professional, helpful, and eager-to-please staff members (the concierge, waiters, waitresses, bartenders, and all others).

We tried every bar, every pool and every restaurant the hotel had to offer, and encountered consistent excellence in food, service, and drink. The swim-up and Jacuzzi bars are wonderful, as was ordering drinks without having to leave your beach chair. One of the bigger pools has built in lounge-chairs which are wonderful. If you don’t see what you like on the menu or buffet, ask your waiter and they’ll prepare it for you if they can (this is definitely the case with bacon at breakfast).

Although it’s not required, we found that tipping the staff was greatly appreciated. In general, we tipped $1 per drink, $5 at buffet meals, and $10 for table-service meals. You should bring lots of singles just for tipping (you can’t get small bills from the hotel, if you give them dollars all you can get back is the equivalent in pesos). We also made sure to order all our drinks ‘fuerte’ (strong). The entire staff speaks English, but a little bit of Spanish goes a long way.

The all-inclusive is a must-do option for a stay at the Omni. Other reviewers commented about the hassle of giving your room-number every time you ordered a drink, but it was a minimal bother at best. We do suggest upgrading to ocean view rooms to see a 180-degree view of the horizon, and have a view of the pools, the beach, and the activity areas. Lagoon views look-over the street, with views of downtown Cancun in the background.

Some reviewers commented about noise in the rooms. The only noise we heard was from the hallways and was probably related to the fact that all halls and room have marble floors. Although carpeting for sound-dampening would help, it’s a rarity in the Caribbean due to the humidity. With the balcony door closed we didn’t hear any noise from the pool areas.

Like many others have suggested, we signed-up for the Omni preferred guest program to get the free Wi-Fi. However, the Wi-Fi turned out to be one of the few complaints we had. The signal strength was weak in our room and unreliable, but down in the lobby bar it was very solid (although you can only connect one device at a time). But, that’s where we discovered our other disappointment – the music in the lobby bar. It seemed more like elevator music, melancholic and could certainly be a bit more energetic/upbeat.

During our stay we saw couples of all ages, families and singles. There’s not much in terms of evening entertainment, but twice there were simple shows, along with tables of local artisans selling their wares. Not a draw, but a welcome diversion at best.
We were approached several times about the Omni vacation club, but a polite ‘no, thank you’ was all it took to halt further inquiry. And the same was true for the beach vendors (jewelry, cigars, hats, etc.)

Beach and pool-side chairs were plentiful; all areas of the hotel were absolutely spotless. We noticed at least one waitress made a habit of collecting empty cups, and other garbage etc. from the beach after delivering her drinks, and another staffer ensured that the lounge chairs by the pool were lined up in a perfectly straight line. We also made use of the gym, which was clean, well equipped with lots of up-to-date machines, treadmills, and ellipticals, and free weights.

Since we noted that Scott Balesteri made a point of posting responses to disappointed TripAdvisor.com reviewers, we took the time to seek him out and tell him he much we enjoyed our stay. He was very appreciative of the direct in-person feedback.

During our 7-day stay, we left the hotel only once to visit Isla Mujeres, and we highly recommend this trip. Be sure to rent a golf-cart for the day, which you can use to tour the entire 7 mile long island in a few hours. We visied Garrafon (a park offering snorkeling, zip line and nature walks), and enjoyed dinner at Mocambo’s (on the water, very close to the ferry) to see the sunset.

5 Thank Brian11375
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Reviewed October 29, 2010

We stayed at the Omni Cancun for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. We spent 9 nights there and it was the most superb service I have ever had at any hotel. The staff went way beyond what a normal hotel staff would do. I have never felt so much like a princess when people would carry your plate before it was even filled. The activites every day at the pool were fun, exciting and we looked forward to them. The iguana's on the property were a riot when we fed them. They would inch closer and closer to ge the food before the birds. The concigere helped us before arrival and then went so far above and beyond while we were there. There was nothing they could/would no do for us. We only told our name to Alejandro upon arrival and from then on it was a great feeling to "go where everyone knows your name." I wll be be staying at the Omni next time we are in Mexico.

4 Thank iharris1959
Killeen, Texas, USA
Reviewed October 27, 2010

We got a great deal on a beautiful ocean view room that included a buffet breakfast every morning. The service was great except at the poolside grill. I think it might have been due to a language barrier. The location was very good. There was a travel agent in the hotel that you could book tours and other activities. One thing to avoid is that they have a "Vacation Club," that they try to sell you. They will offer you free tours etc. but this is just another name for a timeshare. Avoid this unless you a re truly interested in a time share. Food was good. Pool was nice and clean. Room was very big and bright. Towel service twice a day was an added bonus.

1 Thank Bridgeda01
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Dear Omni Family:
Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for making our special day even more special than we could ever imagine. From the moment we stepped into the hotel, we were treated as though we were the only guests at the resort. The hospitality and generosity of the entire staff of the Omni Cancun should be commended for all that they did to make our week in Cancun so pleasurable. If we had to do it 100 times over, we would get married the same exact way. Your personal attention to every last detail of our wedding ceremony and reception was perfect. Your hospitality and professionalism could not have been better. The experience of getting married in beautiful Cancun on the sandy beach at sunset was beyond what words could express. Thank you so very much for everything that you did to make our special day a day that we will never, ever forget.

1 Thank Erickson1008
sjbk, Director of Sales at Omni Cancun Resort & Villas, responded to this review, October 28, 2010
Dear Mr. & Mrs. Newlyweds,
"Gracias" for your truly wonderful comments regrading your reecent wedding celebrated at our Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas. We are humbled by your kind words and motivated by them as well. Our professional, certified wedding planner, Jesus Gomez, is one our many tenured Associates, who prides himself on delivering, warm, genuine, Mexican hospitality. Jesus manages over 30 weddings a year and will only have one per day at the hotel, as to focus on that special occasion and make it a lifetime of memories for everyone.
Looking forward to welcome you back home to "su casa" one day soon. Maybe for your first anniversary?
Congratulations and wish you the very best!
Scott Balesteri