“Wonderful vacation....great hotel!”

Omni Cancun Resort & Villas
Ranked #39 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed March 31, 2007

My friend and I went to Cancun for the first time. We chose February because we didn't want the spring break crowd. Initially we were supposed to stay at Imperial Las Perlas but they were overbooked. So they bumped us over to the Holiday Inn. It wasn't bad but wasn't what we expected. After sitting through the vacation club presentation we decided that the Omni was the way to go! They were able to get us a gorgeous room with a view of the pools and ocean and gave us the all inclusive plan.

Our favorite place to eat was Pina Colada right on the beach! We ate breakfast there everyday and enjoyed the gorgeous scenery. The food was excellent and the service was amazing. Actually the food was great at all the restaurants. Divinci's had some of the best pasta I've ever tasted. The waiter at La Paloma even remembered us from the night before and said stepped out of the restaurant to say hi when he saw us walk past.

It was really windy while we were there so swimming in the ocean wasn't really an option. We waded up to our calves and the undertow was so bad it almost knocked us off our feet. We did lay out on the beach a little bit and then went to the pools to cool off. It was never too crowded at any of the pools. The activities pool was the best b/c they always had something going on.

They even take you out to a different club each night if you want. You can chose to buy just the cover or get an all you can drink wristband. You get to go straight into the club and they get you a table and drinks. We went to Senior Frogs and seeing as how neither of us are big drinkers only bought the cover and one huge drink. But we ended up getting free shots and drinks so if you are single girls I wouldn't recomend spending the money for the all you can drink pass. Even though we saw some things that shocked us we had a great time and would say one night of some nightlife is a must.

All of the staff was great and super friendly. I've never felt like a hotel cared about their guests as much as this one. This was the best hotel I've ever stayed at!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
6  Thank amber_r8382
Write a ReviewReviews (6,351)

Reviewed March 30, 2007

We have stayed at the Omni 3 times in the past years, so when we needed a little getaway it seemed like a no brainer. This was the first time we went all inclusive and found the service to be very slow. Every time you ordered a drink, water, whatever you had to wait to sign a slip so they could keep track of the consumption. That I can understand, but at most bars on the site there was only one person in charge of printing the slips which caused and unnecessary delay in the service. Although we were all inclusive with gratutity also included we found that giving a couple bucks each time did seem to make them more attentive.

My husband and I love to sit by the beach and go into the ocean to get refreshed. If you are the same, the beach has pretty much washed away. The beach area use to consist of 2 rows of cabanas, since hurriance Wilma, there is only one row of these (making them very hard to reserve unless you are on the beach by 7am). You cannot swim or even wade in the ocean in front of the hotel and what once was sand is now flat slippery rocks. We had to walk down to the next hotel to swim in the water. I was very disappointed that there beach pictures had not been updated to reflect them discouraging fact, for me, that's part of the vacation experience!

The rooms had been a bit modernized since recent trips and as always the entire hotel area was very clean.

I am uncertain if my next trip to Cancun will include the Omni, we may try somewhere new!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sunshine0955
Reviewed March 29, 2007

I traveled with my two toddlers and as they cant drink regular milk I called the hotel a couple of days before we traveled to see if they had the milk that my children drank available...they didn't. So with that in mind I traveled with 5 cartons of milk of which I was assured I would be able to store in the room refrigerator. Upon arriving that night I called room service for my refrigerator to be opened and as it was also a mini bar I told the manager I would be emptying the mini-bar (refrigerator) to store my milk..NO PROBLEM..however, a couple of days later I came into my room to see my refrigerator restocked with alcohol and my milk siting in the hot room. I called, complained as my milk had now spoiled. I was told of hotel policy, I was told of regulations....and finally my refrigerator was emptyied again and I had to go into town and buy more milk & $50. taxi ride. Next day, same thing milk got taken out and refrigerator restocked, my milk spoiled again! I called management, and management never responded. Had my needs been insulin....had my needs been medicine or any other things that needed to be refrigerated, i'm sure I would have received the same response...policy this, policy that. Other than that the only other bad thing was the beach...there wasn't one. All other hotels on the strip have had their beaches redone but not the Omni. I would not recommed this hotel for families with children.....On a lighter note, the service in regards to the restaurants and the rest of the staff was excellent....

1  Thank quericoyp
Reviewed March 28, 2007

Pros: The hotel, pool, and view are lovely. The balcony was one of my favorite places to sit in the evening (but read con below). The breakfast buffet at La Paloma was really good. Kids under 6 are free. The service everywhere was great. I didn't get one time share person bugging me in the lobby (as I had read).

Cons: The beach is too rocky and rough to swim. I was in the water for 5 minutes and cut my toe on a rock. While examining my toe, I was knocked over by a wave and cut my leg and arm. I tried to get up and got knocked down again and hit my side. I had a large bruise for days. I am 5'10" and a good swimmer and could barely stand up to get out. I saw others in the lobby with bloody arms and legs. If you go out at low tide, you will see that under the surf is nothing but rocks- it's really dangerous. (Upon arrival, our taxi driver told us to go to the other end of the hotel zone bc the surf wasn't as rough. We ended up doing just that. Go to the beach at Casa Maya/ Playa del Langosta. You can actually get in the water there. We paid cash for drinks from the beach waiter. Their drinks are a LOT cheaper than the Omni too.)

There was a pervasive smell in the hotel. I had read about this but couldn't believe how strong it really was. It smelled musty- it is NOT fresh sea air as someone else mentioned. When we arrived at our next destination, all of the clothes we had worn in Cancun smelled musty.

Pay the extra money for the ocean view. The lagoon view overlooks the sewage treatment plant. It doesn't smell good esp in the mornings.

I didn't like the odd check in practices. They had me go through 3 people before even getting to the front desk (one was for the vacation club in the hotel- but I just said no). One woman was so insistent that I couldn't check in until 3 (it was 2:50). Then someone else said I could check in. I went to get in line (at this point it was minutes before 3), and the first woman saw me in line and looked at her watch. What was the big deal?

The front desk tried to assign someone esle our room. We were asleep and heard someone trying to get in (we had bolted the door at least). Then we got a phone call from the front desk asking us to confirm when we checked in, etc. Just weird.

When the maids would clean the rooms, we would come back and our keys wouldn't work. We had to get new keys made twice.

Also, it''s quite a walk up the hill to the front door. There is a steep sidewalk or you can wind through a really pretty garden and waterfall area. It's a bit of a hike though. If you are in a wheelchair or have trouble walking, it will be tough.

Overall, I loved Cancun but not the Omni. I would not stay there again. I'd stay at the "cheaper end" with the better beach and cheaper prices.

2  Thank xtine16
Reviewed March 26, 2007

I have to say, no matter what some people said, this is a GREAT hotel
to stay. I go to Cancun a lot and stay at many diferent hotels, but the Omni is a great place to stay and have fun. Last time we didnt go anywhere else, no need to leave the hotel. I though the employees were very friendly and helpful. The food was good, and the bar at the lobby was fun. (They have a music show some times). They also have one of the best pools around, including the pool bar. We dont have kids, but they had lots of activities for kids. If you tip your bartenders good (rememer this is Mexico) they will give you that extra service, but they are still nice. My room was very clean and nice. beautiful view. The maid was sooo nice. great spa and the gym is super nice. It was expensive to go from the Airport to the Hotel, but that is the taxis, not the hotel problem. I wish the had a shuttle. If you want to go to Downtown Cancun or any other place the bus stop is right at front, and taxis are always waiting to take you anywere. (but we didnt go out that much). The beach is great and they bring whatever you need to the beach. Soooooo relaxing. We tried to go again in March but they were sold out. I will also really recomend the ALL INCLUSIVE deals, we did.

Great place to go single, married, or with family. You will meet lots of new people there. If you dont have fun there, maybe is not the hotel, its you. Have fun :-)

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fllblueguy
Reviewed March 26, 2007

Omni Cancun has a awful beach with rocks everywhere and red flag everytime during our week end.
The pillows were dirty in our room.
And it is very very noisy

4  Thank Planche
Reviewed March 22, 2007

Our family just visited Cancun (March 15-20). Initially we had made a reservation at the Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas. There, we had a very unpleasant time. It is not a Hotel for families with young children. The Holiday Inn is less than average. I just posted our experience at the Holiday Inn on this web site. If interested, you can find it under Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas.

Anyway, after attending a very relaxed, pressure free, hassle free timeshare presentation at The Omni (we ended up buying a unit !), Federico (salesperson) and his direct supervisor, Luis Felipe, were able to get a room for our family at The Omni. In addition, they provided the "all inclusive" option. WOW! What a change! We were traveling with our children ages 7 and 4. They had a blast at The Omni! There are organized activities for children and the pool area is great! The food at the buffet restaurant was delicious. The food at the DaVinci Restaurant was superb! The ambiance was very romantic and the quality of the food was great. Jose, our waiter, went above and beyond to accomodate us. It is fine dining, so don't forget to dress up (shorts or sandals are not allowed as part of their dress code). The view from our room was beautiful - view of the pools and ocean. On Monday night we all enjoyed "Fiesta Mexicana", a show representing regional dances from different parts of Mexico. The Omni made our vacation a very special one. We'll be back in the near future. We are already making plans! :-)

1  Thank Erleen