“Not very accomadating”

Ranked #39 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Pennsylvania
“Not very accomadating”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2007

I traveled with my two toddlers and as they cant drink regular milk I called the hotel a couple of days before we traveled to see if they had the milk that my children drank available...they didn't. So with that in mind I traveled with 5 cartons of milk of which I was assured I would be able to store in the room refrigerator. Upon arriving that night I called room service for my refrigerator to be opened and as it was also a mini bar I told the manager I would be emptying the mini-bar (refrigerator) to store my milk..NO PROBLEM..however, a couple of days later I came into my room to see my refrigerator restocked with alcohol and my milk siting in the hot room. I called, complained as my milk had now spoiled. I was told of hotel policy, I was told of regulations....and finally my refrigerator was emptyied again and I had to go into town and buy more milk & $50. taxi ride. Next day, same thing milk got taken out and refrigerator restocked, my milk spoiled again! I called management, and management never responded. Had my needs been insulin....had my needs been medicine or any other things that needed to be refrigerated, i'm sure I would have received the same response...policy this, policy that. Other than that the only other bad thing was the beach...there wasn't one. All other hotels on the strip have had their beaches redone but not the Omni. I would not recommed this hotel for families with children.....On a lighter note, the service in regards to the restaurants and the rest of the staff was excellent....

• Liked — food and friendliness of restaurant and pool staff
  • Disliked — management
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank quericoyp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,241)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2007

Pros: The hotel, pool, and view are lovely. The balcony was one of my favorite places to sit in the evening (but read con below). The breakfast buffet at La Paloma was really good. Kids under 6 are free. The service everywhere was great. I didn't get one time share person bugging me in the lobby (as I had read).

Cons: The beach is too rocky and rough to swim. I was in the water for 5 minutes and cut my toe on a rock. While examining my toe, I was knocked over by a wave and cut my leg and arm. I tried to get up and got knocked down again and hit my side. I had a large bruise for days. I am 5'10" and a good swimmer and could barely stand up to get out. I saw others in the lobby with bloody arms and legs. If you go out at low tide, you will see that under the surf is nothing but rocks- it's really dangerous. (Upon arrival, our taxi driver told us to go to the other end of the hotel zone bc the surf wasn't as rough. We ended up doing just that. Go to the beach at Casa Maya/ Playa del Langosta. You can actually get in the water there. We paid cash for drinks from the beach waiter. Their drinks are a LOT cheaper than the Omni too.)

There was a pervasive smell in the hotel. I had read about this but couldn't believe how strong it really was. It smelled musty- it is NOT fresh sea air as someone else mentioned. When we arrived at our next destination, all of the clothes we had worn in Cancun smelled musty.

Pay the extra money for the ocean view. The lagoon view overlooks the sewage treatment plant. It doesn't smell good esp in the mornings.

I didn't like the odd check in practices. They had me go through 3 people before even getting to the front desk (one was for the vacation club in the hotel- but I just said no). One woman was so insistent that I couldn't check in until 3 (it was 2:50). Then someone else said I could check in. I went to get in line (at this point it was minutes before 3), and the first woman saw me in line and looked at her watch. What was the big deal?

The front desk tried to assign someone esle our room. We were asleep and heard someone trying to get in (we had bolted the door at least). Then we got a phone call from the front desk asking us to confirm when we checked in, etc. Just weird.

When the maids would clean the rooms, we would come back and our keys wouldn't work. We had to get new keys made twice.

Also, it''s quite a walk up the hill to the front door. There is a steep sidewalk or you can wind through a really pretty garden and waterfall area. It's a bit of a hike though. If you are in a wheelchair or have trouble walking, it will be tough.

Overall, I loved Cancun but not the Omni. I would not stay there again. I'd stay at the "cheaper end" with the better beach and cheaper prices.

• Liked — The view of the ocean.
  • Disliked — The smell, the rocky beach.
2 Thank xtine16
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2007

I have to say, no matter what some people said, this is a GREAT hotel
to stay. I go to Cancun a lot and stay at many diferent hotels, but the Omni is a great place to stay and have fun. Last time we didnt go anywhere else, no need to leave the hotel. I though the employees were very friendly and helpful. The food was good, and the bar at the lobby was fun. (They have a music show some times). They also have one of the best pools around, including the pool bar. We dont have kids, but they had lots of activities for kids. If you tip your bartenders good (rememer this is Mexico) they will give you that extra service, but they are still nice. My room was very clean and nice. beautiful view. The maid was sooo nice. great spa and the gym is super nice. It was expensive to go from the Airport to the Hotel, but that is the taxis, not the hotel problem. I wish the had a shuttle. If you want to go to Downtown Cancun or any other place the bus stop is right at front, and taxis are always waiting to take you anywere. (but we didnt go out that much). The beach is great and they bring whatever you need to the beach. Soooooo relaxing. We tried to go again in March but they were sold out. I will also really recomend the ALL INCLUSIVE deals, we did.

Great place to go single, married, or with family. You will meet lots of new people there. If you dont have fun there, maybe is not the hotel, its you. Have fun :-)

• Liked — The pool and the beach location. Rooms were also great.
  • Disliked — Front desk.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Fllblueguy
Paris
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2007

Omni Cancun has a awful beach with rocks everywhere and red flag everytime during our week end.
The pillows were dirty in our room.
And it is very very noisy

4 Thank Planche
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2007

Our family just visited Cancun (March 15-20). Initially we had made a reservation at the Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas. There, we had a very unpleasant time. It is not a Hotel for families with young children. The Holiday Inn is less than average. I just posted our experience at the Holiday Inn on this web site. If interested, you can find it under Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas.

Anyway, after attending a very relaxed, pressure free, hassle free timeshare presentation at The Omni (we ended up buying a unit !), Federico (salesperson) and his direct supervisor, Luis Felipe, were able to get a room for our family at The Omni. In addition, they provided the "all inclusive" option. WOW! What a change! We were traveling with our children ages 7 and 4. They had a blast at The Omni! There are organized activities for children and the pool area is great! The food at the buffet restaurant was delicious. The food at the DaVinci Restaurant was superb! The ambiance was very romantic and the quality of the food was great. Jose, our waiter, went above and beyond to accomodate us. It is fine dining, so don't forget to dress up (shorts or sandals are not allowed as part of their dress code). The view from our room was beautiful - view of the pools and ocean. On Monday night we all enjoyed "Fiesta Mexicana", a show representing regional dances from different parts of Mexico. The Omni made our vacation a very special one. We'll be back in the near future. We are already making plans! :-)

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — -
1 Thank Erleen
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2007

We are a family of 4 that included our 19yr old daughters traveling for Spring Break and our first visit to Cancun. We were concerned that there would not be enough to keep our girls occupied. They brought their own Lap tops in hopes of having some connection with friends. We were thrilled to find that the Hotel Lobby offeres free wireless access. The evenings had many young adults in the lobby sitting with Lap tops having a wonderful time. The many pools, hot tub, swim up bar, and especially the Jacuzzi bar down by the beach were fabulous. The Beach had free nice lounge chairs and tiki huts. Even canapy beds right on the beach that could be rented. The water was amazing. We were thrilled with all the food. Our favorite was the homemade fresh salsa, guac, and tortilla chips. We had wonderful mexican dishes and lots of fresh fruits daily. AI is the only way to go otherwise food is pricey. DaVinci Resturante was part of AI but limited visits. Food was very good and wine was excellent. Very happy with our regular room which faced the ocean. Very, Very Clean and very comfortable beds. We had great service but did do some lite tiping $1 or $2. occassionally that gave us even better service. Took the bus to shops and market which was very safe and cheap. We used a credit card to shop which converts but if in the market you can use US dollars but have lots of single bills and understand the difference and barter the price. Don't go much past Senor Frogs as it starts to get iffy. Omni was in a better part of Hotel Zone. Finally, girls loved it and got lots of sun and had fun shopping. We would return to Omni happily.

1 Thank ChardyCharlotte
Detroit
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2007

The Omni exceeded our expections. The watiers were hot and the lounge singer (Beatirce) can't be missed. Her interperative dances lit the stage on fire. All the action was at the swim up bar. I would suggest arriving there at 7am to secure a spot right in front of the bartender and tell them to make it strong...sometimes they like to hold back. Complaints:
not many, but the bellhop trying to pose as the concierge caused chaos. If you have the opportunity...go to the Omni. The resort was very well maintained, the food was good and the staff was very friendly...with the exception of one overworked gift shop employee.

Stayed March 2007