“Nice place”

Omni Cancun Resort & Villas
Ranked #38 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 5, 2004

We just got back from the Omni a week ago and really enjoyed our stay. I have to say though that the best way to do the Omni is all-inclusive for no more than 3 or 4 days.

If you aren't all inclusive the prices are very inflated and you can't pay cash for anything so it's a hassel.

We loved DaVinci's ate there every night didn't even want to go to the theme buffets. I didn't love everything that I was served but in general the food was excellent and the service was great!

I didn't enjoy any of the restaurants besides DaVinci's so we ordered room service everyday for lunch. (it's included with all inclusive)

The swim up jacuzzi bar was fun! The lounge has very cheezy music.

My biggest complaint would be the shallow pools, there were never refreshing because they got so hot because they were so shallow.

The rooms were beautiful and we had an incredible view of the ocean.

Overall it was a nice stay but I would reccommend it if you get a good deal on an all inclusive package.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (6,277)

Brunswick, Ohio
Reviewed July 4, 2004

We stayed June 17 to June 24. This was not our first choice but was the best deal. After reading the reviews on this website, I have to admit I thought I made a mistake. The mention of the water treatment plant across the streert bothered me. The mention of the noise leavel was also a concern. However an occasional wiff of the plant was not at all a problem. Anyone that has ever been to Cancun knows that all the hotel rooms are done completely in marble. It doesn't matter where you stay, things aren't like they would be if you had carpeting.

The hotel was clean. In a weeks stay I only saw three flys. A year ago we stayed in the Riviera Maya and were tripping over large roaches. The staff was great and treated us like we were special. The food and drinks were average. They have a theam buffet every night that are a little pricey if you're one to eat and drink a lot, I would suggest that you go all inclusive. We however don't so elected to eat elsewhere.

The beach was well kept and we were lucky to have 50 people on it at any time. This gave you your choice of loungers in the sun or under a cabanna. The only real negative was the pool. It is only 3' deep. It did however have a a swim up bar and they did have a rather cozy jacuzi bar seperate from the crowd.

They have a tour company right in the lobby (Olympus) that worked well for us. We were also approached by their vacation club but after we told them we weren't interested, they left us alone.

All in all we will go back to Cancun We would not have a problem staying at the OMNI but will try another resort. Just to see what else is there.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 4, 2004

My friend and I had the best time at the Omni. The hotel was beautiful and the staff was very accomidating. Room service was very prompt and responded to all requests with urgency. Everyone was friendly and the staff was always quick to greet us as we walked through the hotel. The hotel is also very clean. Someone was always cleaning furniture and buffing the marble floors to ensure cleanliness. The spa was also very nice. I recommend everyone to get a pedicure (though the foot spa bath is similar to one that can be purchased for the house) the creams, lotions, and foot massage was out of this world. My friend and I were also able to get a massage in a cabana by the beach as the sun was setting... very relaxing. The food was expensive, so either get all inclusive or eat somewhere else. There is a 24 hour currency exchange office in the hotel. Get plenty of pesos for shopping and bus fare. DO NOT GO TO COCO BONGO if you are looking for a dance club. Everyone will suggest it, but they do not dance, just watch musical and movie impersonators. I do recommend the 1/2 day snorkeling adventure. You can purchase that excursion in the hotel. Incredible experience. Over all it was a great visit, and the Omni is a great place to stay.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 1, 2004

Omni, The Place To Stay in Cancun

My l8 year old niece and I stayed at the Omni From June 29 to July l, 2004. From the moment we arrived, the service was first class. We were offered a drink while waiting in the short check in line. As one reader suggested, I called Omni International and asked to be a Select member. This is a free program. As we were leaving for the trip in less than two weeks, I was assigned a number over the phone, and they sent me an upgrade certificate in time for the trip. We were upgraded to a partial ocean view, pool side room with a balcony. The waiters were attentive and the food was excellent. Order from the menu; the menu food is far superior to the buffets, that is with the exception of the breakfast buffet, which was excellent. I would strongly recommend getting the All Inclusive with your package. The food and drinks are very expensive and in this way you can relax, eat, drink, and enjoy your trip. We are not drinkers, but did enjoy the frozen margaritas and other drinks without ever getting tipsy which would suggest that not much alcohol was put in the drinks. Request more alcohol and I am certain that they would willingly oblige. The hotel is attractive with a pleasant lobby, lovely restaurants, and clean, attractive rooms. Problems are immediately dealt with such as a our toilet stopped up once, and was immediately taken care of. The guests are all ages from families with well manered children, singles, couples, and seniors. There was limited entertainment This is not a party hotel and if that is what you are looking for choose another hotel. If you are looking for a relaxed atmosphere with attentive service in a top notch hotel, in the quiet section of the zona rosa, this is the hotel for you. Not once were we stopped by a time share person in this hotel, nor did we notice couples being stopped anywhere in this hotel or on its beach. We were stopped once by a time share person in the rowdier part of the strip near the clubs. As other readers have mentioned, the first night our room had a slighly musky, unused smell that was not evident after the first night. It was more of a sea air smell rather than an odor and was not a problem. Also as other reviewers have noted, we did notice the sewer smell only one morning in the hall. Take the city buses. The bus stop is right outside of the hotel. It is only 6 pesos, comes about every minute or two, and you can also use dollars and get change in pesos. Bring a stack of one dollar bills for tips even though tips are included with the all inclusive. The wait staff and the maids work very hard to make your trip a pleasant one. I highly recommend this hotel and plan to return.

• Stayed: July 2004
1  Thank Mississippi
Reviewed June 30, 2004

This was my family's first time to Cancun and I have to say I wasn't that impressed with the Omni at all. After being assigned a room down a long hallway full of "spring-breakers" we had to wait over an hour for a new shower curtain. The one that was in the room smelled so bad like mildew that you couldn't even use the bathroom! After being coerced into taking the "welcome" drink from Susie the timeshare vulture, we refused to commit to the 1.5 hour presentation and free "breakfast". We used our five-year old twins as the excuse. Upon leaving the hotel the next day to get our laundry done, Susie literally chased us out the front door asking us where we were going. I really resented the fact that the timeshare people were right in the hall as you exited the elevators. You had to deal with them everytime you went to the pool or left the hotel!
When we checked in we asked for a room upgrade since we both registered online as a Omni Select Guest. Do this- it is free and you get lots of perks for joining! We were told that the hotel was at capacity and to come back two days later. My husband did just that, after being assured that a junior suite would be available. Of course, he was told nothing was available. He stood his ground and we ended up in a "Club" room at the far end of the hotel. It faced the pool and was very nice- although it had no iron and the refrigerator was locked- unless you wanted to buy from the mini-bar. I was extremely relieved to have moved, since I spent our first two nights staring at empty pizza boxes along the hallway and lying awake at 3 am listening to the teenagers in the hallway yelling, pounding and slamming doors. I was so mad the second night I called security, which did take care of the problem promptly.
We didn't opt for the all-inclusive since we had lots to do during the day and really didn't want to spend our time trying to get our "money's worth" by the pool. We are glad that we didn't take it- we found an awesome Japanese restaurant at the Marriott that we ate at two out of three nights. Look for the coupons in the restaurant and map booklets- and use them!!!
Stay away from Lorito Joe's- overpriced and not that good! Also don't do the buffet breakfast at LaPaloma- it was 16 dollars a person. We had a great room service breakfast for $10 less on our last day!
I don't think I would choose this hotel again- it was okay, but I expected more from the Omni name. It also was quite far from the main strip- since we had a rental car it wasn't a big deal- but if you like to take a taxi instead of the bus- the cabfare really adds up.
If you have kids go to Wet n Wild- our boys loved it and you can go back again anytime in two weeks as long as you have your bracelet on!
There are probably much nicer places to stay in Cancun- so check them out before you go!

1  Thank mamaj
Reviewed June 30, 2004

Omni Cancun is a really neat place to spend your vacation. The beach was beautiful and the grounds were very well manicured. Rooms were ok and a hard bed, but we did not spend much time in the room anyway. All inclusive is the only way to go! ALL you can eat, drink! Anything! Even bottled water and room service too! The buffet theme nights were ok for buffet food, but the Pina Colada beach bar was by far the best! Great service always! La Poloma was good for breakfast, but do not dare go there for lunch even if you are the slightest bit wet.....they won't let you in. (I guess that is understandable.....we gave our tips elsewhere!!!)
Da Vinccis was pretty good and quite romantic. We would definitely return to Omni again if given a good rate. I will tell you of all the all inclusives we have been to throughout Cancun, Riviera Maya and Jamaica, this hotel has the best food by far.
Lobby bar had a few stuck up waiters.....but that is ok. We were there 4 days and spent over $200 in tips alone. (trust me you will get better service!!!)
Anyway......have a great time in Cancun! :)
p.s. the night clubs are packed and WAY over priced!

Reviewed June 29, 2004

Fabulous Resort. We stayed there for a week in June and it was great. The all inclusive was a little tough because we got tired of eating the same stuff but the pool and ocean was great. There is a McDonalds and Dominoes across the street. The staff will bend over backwards to help you. It is very clean. We would go back every year if we could. You won't be sorry. And by the way, the water is purified and very safe to drink. There are no smells. I repeat, there are no bad smells. Book your activities through the Omni when you get there because you can get up to 50% off. You'll get ripped off on the internet. And just an added tip...don't fall for the "great deals" people try to give you at the airport. They are all scams!!!!!

1  Thank Oshari