“First time All-inclusive vacation”

Omni Cancun Resort & Villas
Ranked #39 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
San Diego, California
“First time All-inclusive vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed at Omni for 7 nights from end of June to early July. Overall, the hotel is good.

Pro:

The staffs were very friendly except Berna who worked at the Sushi Bar, Mexican Bar and the Main Pool Bar during our stay. I guessed he expected tips from me but got none so he remembered me then treated me badly. I did give tips to everyone else depending on the level of their services to my family even though the travel package stated tips were included. He expected tips from me when making me waiting for more than 5 minutes before taking my order at the Sushi Bar while he was chatting to his co-workers? This is hilarious to me.

The food was good overall. They were mostly not greasy nor salty at all. To me, the food was healthy considering we ate much more than we normal do. The Hotel Website indeed mis-leaded us on the number of reservations. Pina Colada turns into Indonasian restaurant for dinner. To me, it's indeed Asian because it has Singapore salad, Vietnamese taco, Pad Thai... on the menu. Together with Da Vinci, it needs reservations even though no dress code is required and kids are allowed. This is how it works: if you stay 3 to 4 nights, you can only make 1 reservation so you get to choose which restaurant to dine. If you stay 5 to 6 nights, you can have 2 reservations FOR BOTH RESTAURANTS. If you stay 7 nights or more, you can make 3 total reservations for both. The Italian Da Vinci restaurant was just OK to me but the atmosphere was every nice with live music. Since we traveled with 2 kids, we ate at Deva 2 nights. We all love the fried ice cream there. Only La Paloma (Buffet) and Pina Colada have coconut ice cream which is a must to try. Before we checked out, my daughter even asked for a to-go-cup of it!

Sushi Bar doesn't have sashimi. They put a lot of rice in the roll and add cream cheese in everything. You can ask them to leave cream chesse out, though. Quality was just OK.

Pool, bars and beach are all in close proximity.

Aquatic Aerobic was fun and good exercise to burn some calories after eating and drinking too much.

Micheal Jackson show was the best show that they had.

We did use the Gym several times. Even though it was not elaborated nor big, but good enough to burn some calories and to keep your exercise routine.

My kids loved kids club. The ladies there were very friendly.

Con:

Even though the room has a nice size and was kept clean, there was still smell from the bathroom. I guess it was from the drainage on the floor. Due to humid and hot temperature, the smell escaped from it. It did bothered me the first few days so I kept the ventilation fan on all the time except from 11 pm to 7 am.

The room is completely NO SOUND PROOF. We could hear every thing from our neighbors: dragging the chairs, closing the drawers, taking shower at 5 am or normal conversations between kids. This is the major draw-back for me in making decision whether I'll stay at this Omni again in the future.

They canceled circus show on Thursday night without notice and no reason was given. My kids were very disappointed. They instead made it Karaoke night. The problem was they didn't have a Karaoke program, but instead pulling the songs from YouTube. This was so boring!

No map of the hotel was given when we checked in nor in the room. It was given to us when we talked to Time Share People.

We did not know ice cream was available. After staying for 2 days, I started wondering why they didn't have ice cream while the weather was hot. I asked around and found out.

The maid didn't clean our room until very late, between 3 to 4 pm, the first few days. After learning that we'd come back to our room to rest during this time, she (Lida) actually managed to come earlier.

There was a turtle program, but the life guard told me they got only 2 turtles laying eggs since it was early in season. If we wanted to release little baby turtles back into the sea, come back in a month! My kids was completely disappointed upon learning this.

Overall, our experience with Omni in Cancun was good. Time Share people were around the lobby but they never bothered us again after being told we'd think about it. If you want a chaise lounge in the shade, then you need to wake up before 8:30 am. Otherwise, there are plenty of them around. The hotel never made me feel it was over crowded.

The staff at Pina Colada surprised my kids at our first breakfast at Omni with Princess Pancake. They were so happy and indeed asked to come back for it. Some people commended that Mexican food there was not as good as in California. I wonder if they ever traveled to other places. Except you dine in fine-dining restaurants in US, most of the food here is fusion, not authentic. If you travel to Thailand, you'll find local Thai food is completely different than what you taste here. They don't add coconut milk to virtually EVERYTHING in Thailand! When you travel abroad, please travel with open minded.

We had a room in 18th floor facing Lagoon. We found out it was OK because we were only in the room to rest a couple hours in the afternoon, then to take shower and to sleep. We spent almost all our time outside.

The Mayan Museum is next door. But be aware that they charge 59 pesos per adult IN MEXICAN PESO ONLY. There's English summary to read, but artifacts' presentation is only in Spanish. This annoyed me since the museum sits right in the heart of Hotel Zone where I believe most visitors are tourists.

If you just want to have a relax vacation with beach, pool and food/drink available at any time, staying 5 nights is good enough. If you stay longer, 7 nights like us, then you need a break from the hotel by taking a tour. Do bring A LOT of sun block, though.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Trisha N
Michel A, General Manager at Omni Cancun Resort & Villas, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Trisha N:

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a full detailed feed back regarding your recent stay at the OMNI Cancun Hotel & Villas. I understand this was your first All Inclusive experience here at our restart.

I am delighted to learn that you and your family had a great time here at the Resort.

I really thank you once again for the number of comments made and you can be sure that these comments will help us to improve our service and standards and also to motivate our team.

I will share all of them with our fellow collaborators, and actions will be taken to correct and improve where is needed.

I hope to welcome back soon here at SU CASA in Cancun, or at any of our fantastic OMNI Hotels & Resorts in the US & Caanda.

Thank you for SHARING!

Michel Albahari

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,241)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Harrisonburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

I just returned from a week vacation from 22 to 29 June and this beautiful hotel is clean with one of the best beaches and excellent service.
Since my arrival I was attended by Mr Javier Ruiz reception who always was attentive and able to answer our questions and even though our room is overlooking the lagoon offered us the best at the time, wake up and see the lagoon is priceless.
Dining well but more variety would be nice because the Rest La Vista was closed. And seven days for the few they have is not enough, but overall the food is very good and of good quality.
I recommend this hotel and hope to return soon, when arriving at the hotel Javier is the best employee that will help

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank John_Paul74
Michel A, General Manager at Omni Cancun Resort & Villas, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear John Paul:

Thank your very much for taking your time to let us know about your recent stay at OMNI Cancun Hotel & Villas.

I am very happy to learn that your experience at OMNI was a very pleasant one. I also thank you for your kind recommendations and suggestions expressed. You can be sure your comments will be shared among all our fellow collaborators, but specially with Javier at front office.

Unfortunately during your stay our newest restaurant La Vista was closed for unexpected maintenance, but finally we are back on open mood!

La Vista is becoming our hottest place to enjoy for breakfast and dinners overlooking the beautiful Cancun Lagoon, with astonishing sunsets!

I hope that you can come back to Cancun to visit us again, and enjoy all our facilities.

Once again,

Best regards,

Redditch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

Me and my partner stayed at the omni last August. Was a last min deal so hadnt had time to come on here and look at reviews. The hotel is lovely and the staff are very friendly. We was very please with our room and the mini bar. The hotel is in a perfect location and the beach is stunning. The food was amazing, and the service was always great. The evening entertaintment wasnt very good from a couples point of view, it finished early and on some nights was inside. The best part for me was putting the baby turtles into the ocean after finding them on the beach.
Over all it is a fantastic hotel and i cant wait to go back again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kerrie:

Thank your for your feed back, about your recent stay at the OMNI Cancun Resort & Villas.

We feel very happy knowing that we met all your expectations during your stay.

We really appreciate your comments and your kind words will be shared with all our fellow collaborators.

We hope to see you back soon here at OMNI Cancun or any of our fantastic OMNI Hotels & Resorts in the US and Canada.

Once again,

Coram, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

Beautiful Hotel,Very Clean, We were there this July 26th to the 6th of July,when you arrive go see Paola Cruz, ,she is at the Hotel Guest Service Desk ,make sure you ask for her she speaks , Beautiful English and was well informed in everything and was a big help in letting us know what to do..And you Can't miss Eating in the "Da Vinci" Italian Restaurant ,the food was the best and the Chef there was Amazing, what an Imagination when it came to the Desert's, and our favorite waiter there was Juan Carlos he was very attentive, and we asked for him every time we went..And when your sitting by the pool make sure your sitting in "Herlinda's" section or find out where it is,because she was the best, she brings you your drink's the second time without even asking and ask she you what you would like to eat and brings it to you. You don't even have to get up, I will truly miss her and wish I could have brought her home with me, LOL..All I have to say is the Hotel and Staff was the Best and would definetly go back again..

Room Tip: Pool and Ocean view is the best.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Vivian:

Thank you very much for taking part of your time to let us about your recent stay at the OMNi Cancun Hotel & Resort.

I am delighted to learn that your stay with us met all your expectations. I will definitely share your comments and feed back with our fellow collaborators specially with Paolla Cruz, Juan Carlos and the rest of team.

We hope to see you back soon in this SU CASA in Cancun.

Once again:

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

Make sure you check out the yoga and fitness class with Louis. He is a great yoga and zumba teacher. We had a great time and can not wait to come back. The service at Pina Colada restaurant is excellent. We also enjoy the "Michael Jackson" show. One complaint we have is the gym is extremely hot and the staff in the gym is not friendly. They very much want you to use the spa service. The sushi at the Sushi Bar is ok, not great. All the sushi rolls include cream cheese. The sushi bar can be improved, from the rice to include varieties and not include cream cheese. Over all the food can be improved not quantity but quality.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank TomAndElizabeth
Michel A, General Manager at Omni Cancun Resort & Villas, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Tom & Elizabeth:

Thank you for taking part of your time to leave your comment and feed back about your recent stay here at the OMNI Cancun Hotel & Resort.

I am delighted to learn that your stay with us was a memorable one!. I will be very happy to share all your comments and suggestions with all members of our Resort team.

I hope to welcome you soon here at the OMNI Cancun or at any our great OMNI Hotels & Resorts in the US and Canada.

Once again

Bethpage, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

My husband and I chose Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas as the location for our destination wedding and after it was all said and done, we couldn't have been any happier with our decision! I visited the Cancun hotel zone in January of 2013 visiting 4 different hotels. After all my meetings, the decision to choose the Omni was an easy one. That was the first time I met their wedding planner and coordinator Jesus Gomez and I knew right away this was the gentlemen I wanted to handle my wedding. Jesus was simply amazing. From our first meeting, I felt so comfortable and in good hands. He helped us budget wisely and did everything he could to make our dream wedding possible, and then some. There was no language barrier whatsoever. Jesus is as eloquent in the English language, as he is in Spanish. For the next 16 months I planned the wedding with Jesus via email. Jesus ALWAYS wrote me back within a day. Even if I was asking a crazy question and he didn't have an answer right away, he still let me know that he received the email and that he was in the process of investigating prices or answers. His quick and timely responses were always a friendly reminder that he was working hard for us on the other side on a daily basis. Upon arriving in Mexico, Jesus had arranged for us and our parents to sit down, discuss our welcome party, the wedding and do walk-through's of where all the events would take place, as well as go over a contingency plan in case of inclement weather. We now had 100 guests arriving in Cancun, traveling from all parts across the US. All our guests were greeted warmly and welcomed to our wedding. The Omni had no problems accommodating any of our many guests. Our welcome party took place on a terrace, over looking the beach. It was truly amazing. The pass around appetizers were great, the staff was friendly, the bartenders and waiters made sure nobody ever had an empty drink or needed anything. The staff went above and beyond and then some, truly amazing. The way the staff decorated was truly breathtaking. On our wedding day, the weather was beautiful until about 3 o'clock and then the heavens opened up and it started pouring. Our outdoor wedding on the beach was not going to happen. My husband met with Jesus, and they revised the contingency plan. The ceremony was moved indoors. How quickly they transformed this area to be the site of our ceremony was great. I realized that this was what was meant to be and loved how it came together. While the ceremony was going on, Jesus and his staff transformed the beach restaurant known as La Paloma into the venue for our reception. Our light up dance floor, lighting, and everything else was brought into La Paloma. To say it was breathtaking, would be an understatement. It was a miracle to see just how amazing our new reception area looked. Jesus' dedication to us and his attention to detail simply can not be put into words. I can not express the love and thanks I have for this man, this was truly the wedding we were meant to have and Jesus himself was the reason we were able to have it.

In regards to the hotel itself, it truly was the perfect venue for us. The hotel was spotless. The staff was extremely friendly and began to know us by name and everyone knew we were the couple that was getting married. Luis down at the Jacuzzi bar, Consuela, Oscar, Linda were all great, knew us by name, new our drinks of choice and were great people. All in all, this truly an experience of a lifetime and we would have not done anything different. We will be visiting the Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas again. Most importantly, we are looking forward to seeing Jesus Gomez again. This is the man who made our dream wedding possible, we truly cant thank him enough.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Michel A, General Manager at Omni Cancun Resort & Villas, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Scott & Erika:

Thank you very much for the time spent in leaving us your feed back. I honestly appreciate all your kind words and we are very happy to learn that such important event as your wedding day was an unforgettable.

I am really thrilled to receive such a complete description of the events that we had the honor to help planning and see that your and your husband expectations were all met.

I will definitely share this comment with Jesus our wedding planner and the rest of the team. Your words will definitely boost our energy and make us feel happy about what we try to do here at the OMNI Hotel & Resort.

We wish you both all the best in your new life, and we hope to see you celebrating your weeding anniversary or sooner here at the OMNI Cancun Hotel & Resort or at any of our fantastic OMNI Hotels and Resorts in the US or Canada.

Once again:

THANK YOU FOR SHARING!.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

it was a great hotel but it needs more variety in rester ants and the lobby could be a little bigger for socializing at night instead of the DaVinchi and buffet....other then that the villas r amazing and everything there ..... entertainment was awesome and the people there were friendly ....... perfect for a family getaway

Room Tip: get the villas its honestly the best if you have a big family because everyone has their own shower...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Regina G:

Thank you very much for taking your time to let us know about your recent stay with us at OMNI Cancun Hotel & Resort.

I am happy to learn that in general we met your service expectations and I certainly take also your suggestions to improve our facilities and experiences at the Resort.

I wish you could visit us soon!

once again: