“Good Reviews lead to Big Increases in Price”

Omni Cancun Resort & Villas
Ranked #36 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Concord, New Hampshire
“Good Reviews lead to Big Increases in Price”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

No doubt the Omni is a beautiful hotel with top notch staff. I have stayed there five times and was never disappointed, not even for a nanosecond. I have written great reviews with the caveat that I hoped by doing so, I wasn't contributing to cost prohibitive visits. Well, now that I plan my respite back to Cancun, that is precisely what has happened. The rewards program is ridiculous and the hotel has increased daily off-season rate by $31, which adds up when staying for a couple of weeks. So my sad goodbyes to Omni and welcome to one of the other hundred beautiful Cancun properties.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Laurel, Montana
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This was a great place to be and I think about being there every day since we got home. I can not express how impeccably clean this hotel is kept. The staff is always working quietly in the back ground to assure your comfort. I am not kidding my husband and I often joke that even the stairs from the beach were sand free. I am not sure how they do it but this place was great. I only have one recommendation if you are a picky eater like I am be prepared to survive on cheesecake and French fries from room service. But Ill take that any day. Please don't get me wrong the food was probably great I just not one to try new foods.

Room Tip: We ended up with a ground floor room with a patio just steps from the pool bar. It was a great place...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas was the perfect "home away from home" during our vacation to Cancun in mid-May 2013. Our family of five stayed in one of the villas with a beautiful beach view. We visited during a slower season (apparently the Yucatan is very popular from January through April), although the resort was, by no means, empty. Read on for more details, but if you don't have time, please note that we'd highly recommend staying at this hotel. Service is world-class, food is great, and you'll have the time of your life. We promise.

The villa itself is a great size -- three floors with a living room, dining room, kitchen and half-bath on the first floor, a master bedroom/bath as well as a second bedroom/bath on the second floor, and a top floor bedroom/bath. Each floor has a patio of its own. As a forewarning, the stairs in the villas are a little steep, so may not be best for families with little ones. The villa itself is a little older, but we had no problems with hot water, amenities or issues with the beds. If ever you have any trouble, call the front desk and they are extremely helpful. We were grateful to be able to come "home" every evening after long days on the beach.

Food is also great at the resort with plenty of options! We highly recommend the all-inclusive plan.There's a buffet restaurant called La Paloma (our personal favorite), a taco bar, a sushi bar (try the banana mango sushi!), a beachside restaurant that converts from relaxed lunch spot to fine dining dinner, a poolside Italian restaurant and Da Vinci's in the heart of the hotel. Don't be alarmed by any of the reviews that say you need "fancy" clothes for Da Vinci's -- a casual sundress for ladies and jeans and a button down for guys will do. (They just don't want you walking in wearing your beach clothes.) You will need reservations for both fine dining options at the resort, but don't worry. Concierge will help you when you get there. For anyone interested in a piña colada, a Bob Marley or a "Three Wishes" drink, don't worry -- all restaurants serve alcohol, and there are plenty of poolside and beachside bars as well. Note that the hotel will arrange room service if you would like. We had an early pick-up for a sightseeing tour with "Chichen Itza With Jerry" (check out our reviews there!) and the front desk brought us a full breakfast at 6AM on the dot.

The beach at the Omni Hotel and Villas was pristine. It wasn't too crowded when we were there, so we didn't have to reserve any lounge chairs/umbrellas. It costs money to reserve one of the beachside beds, although we never actually used them. If you want to arrange parasailing or jetskiing, we'd recommend doing so via the hotel (right where you pick up your towels). The pools are great as well - definitely a fun change of pace from being down by the beach.

Gym facilities are available but pretty basic. We didn't visit the spa but it seems like plenty of people were enjoying their offerings. The service at the hotel is world-class. Absolutely floored at how hard-working, friendly and well-mannered everyone was, from waiters to housekeeping to concierge. Visit Francisco at the sushi bar, Ancelmo at the taco bar and Reuben/Pablo at La Paloma. They took great care of us!

The last thing to mention that we really appreciated about this hotel is that it's a bit further away (probably 5 miles or so) from the main tourist strip near Bubba Gump's, Señor Frogs, etc. We never had to leave the hotel, but if you're interested in going down to see that area, there are buses right outside the hotel that can bring you straight there.

All in all, this is by far one of the best family vacations we've ever taken. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Villas for any big groups!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank NicoleB_PDX
Minneapoli
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Myself and a group of friends just returned from a trip to Cancun in which we stayed at the Omni. I have absolutely no complaints about the resort. The entire resort was gorgeous, great views, amazing white sandy beaches, and beautiful scenery. The food was excellent and the drinks were delicious.

As for the food, they had so many options, and i never had a bad meal the entire trip. The sushi was the best i had ever had.

Finally, the absolute best part in my opinion of the Omni, was the staff. Every member was so friendly, always ready to help, outgoing and they really know how to entertain. They really are what made this resort stand out compared to the rest i have stayed at in Mexico. I have never had better service in my life.

Thanks Omni for making this my best trip i have ever had!

Room Tip: We stayed on the lagoon side, which was still a great view overlooking the lagoon and you can see th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tony H
Patten, Maine
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I know some ppl have givin this a bad review but I can't say that. We stayed for 7 days in May and found it very nice. The food in the main lounge is fine and a bit tiresome after a few days. The grill at the first pool is very good as well as the beach restaurant. The sushi bar seems to be good also (that's if you like it). And the Mexican grill is good. It's nice to have choices. The evening entertainment needs work, it seems like the same thing just different costumes. The day time entertainment needs different management. Same stuff different day. It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that teens, adults get sick of the same bingo, tv trivia (that goes on way too long) and music trivia is boring. If you want to stay with cancun reputation then I think you need to work on this part of your promotions! Other then that, it was great. Rooms were clean, quiet and comfortable. Ocean view is a plus so request that if you can. Also, Internet is an additional 15 a day however if you go online to omni cancun web page, you can sign up for their royalty club ( free of charge) and you will get Internet free with your royalty number!

Room Tip: Ocean view. Higher rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Pam04765
Harrisonburg, Virginia, United States
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I'm back from Cancun and I stay at this occasion at two different resorts one of them the Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas, the location of this beautiful resort is privileged because it is one side of the Museum of Anthropology.

This hotel is very simple but great tradition in Cancun is very clean and very welcoming, the reception is very small but the service is to great. Especially ARMANDO, ALEJANDRO AND SINDIA. They are very nice and kind since I got there, They smile all the time when I made ​​my check I felt so welcome. I was assigned a room overlooking the lake, but I was offered an upgrade to a room with ocean view for 45 dollars including taxes. My room very cozy, very clean and best view.

The beach is spectacular, clean pools and spectacular animation team, with them went to Cocobongo and thanks to Charly for his attention all the time.
The Restaurants of the best I've seen, I loved the food is varied and freshly prepared at the time. La Paloma Restaurant unique, and the service of the waiters ... the best especially Andres Vazquez Ham and Captain René offers a world class service. The other restaurants are worth but La Paloma my favorite.

Finally if you are looking for a clean hotel, good value and above all with a nice beach this is the place.
I
will going to be Back in July because this place is worth it and I appreciate the special attentions of SOL MORALES and shift manager JAVIER RUIEZ Thanks a lot for the excellent services.

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank John_Paul74
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This hotel was fabulous! I couldn't believe there were any bad reviews about the staff or the food. The staff bent over backwards to serve us and after they served you one night they always remembered you with a smile the next. We were really surprised how good the buffet food was, we had heard good things about Deva and Di Vinci's and they were also right on. The service at Di Vinci's was outstanding. The beach and water were beautiful and relaxing. A special shout out to Andres for great service and our flaming drinks on our last night at La Paloma! Can wait go back. After all of that I will say we didn't like the "vacation club" representatives in the lobby, but I still highly recommend the Omni!!

• Stayed May 2013