“beautiful beach and pools”

Omni Cancun Resort & Villas
Ranked #38 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Dallas, Texas
“beautiful beach and pools”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I was a solo traveler staying at the Omni the last week of April. I did not choose to do the all inclusive as I prefer to try different restaurants and eat at more local places. However, the drinks and meals that I did have at the Omni were very good. I have stayed at the Omni several times and really like the beach la palapa's and variety of pools. However, I must agree with the other reviewers that the Omni really needs to have more umbrellas by the pool area's. I was able to find shade at the "kiddy" pool, but would like to have been able to find an umbrella by the other pools, but very, very limited! Most of the days I was able to get a beach lounge chair under the la palapa, but had to be there before 8 a.m. Omni states that if a lounge chair is unoccupied for more then 2 hours, it will no longer be reserved, but no one administers this. One fight broke out between 2 guests over a canopy covered bed and security had to get involved........entertaining for the rest of us, but shows there is definitely a problem with the shaded area's.

The Omni is centrally located and an easy bus ride to Centro Cancun and other restaurants along Kukulcan blvd. The maid are excellent and keep the rooms very clean and change the sheets every day. As other reviewer's have stated, the steep climb to the hotel entrance from the bus stop can be quite challenging after a long day of walking. However, the stairway is quite beautifully landscaped.

All and all, I will continue to return to the Omni as long as it is not an "AI" only.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank retiree88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The staff was absolutely great. Everyone there was so friendly and helpful. I have been to quite a few all-inclusive resorts, and the staff at this resort tops them all. The place was well-maintained and kept very clean. Even the poolside and beach restrooms were kept in tip-top shape throughout the day.
The food was okay. I really liked the beachside restaurant for breakfast and Viva Mexican for lunch. I never had a fish taco before, and I found myself going back there because they were so good. The DaVinci and Pina Colada Restaurants require reservations and as we were only there five days could only eat at each once. You need to make reservations a day or two in advance and even then may be put on a waiting list. The Pina Colada was really good, but I wasn’t impressed with Da Vinci. The presentation of the food was excellent but the taste left a lot to be desired.
Maid service was excellent and the rooms were kept very clean.
The beach was absolutely beautiful, white sands and blue waters. We all got sunburned the first day as we didn’t realized how early you had to get up to get shade. We learned that you had to get up by 6:30 or 7:00 if you wanted to get a hut on the beach.
I also really enjoyed the Jacuzzi bar on the beach. It was awesome.
We were a group of ladies just looking for relaxation, sun, and beach. That’s what we got. I will have to say that if we took our kids, I think they would have been bored. As far as activities, I only saw one ping pong table, and there seemed to be more young children and not so many teenagers.
All-in-all it was a nice vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I just came back and I had a wonderful time. I read all the reviews before I left and I really can't say anything bad about this hotel. I was in awe the whole time. We had a balcony with an ocean view. The views were absolutely breath taking. My favorite place to eat breakfast and lunch was at the Pina Colada Restaurant. It was on the beach and it was very romantic having our mimosas while watching the crystal blue waters splash against the snow white sand.

Bronx, New York
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Good Things : The room service gets a 4.5 out of 5 and thats only because the last night we stayed my GFs Sandwhich was cold but the first two days the food was amazing to say the least. our first and only dinner at one of the restaurants that require you to make a reservation was amazing to say the least. The name of it was " The Vin". The Servers, Towel personal, chefs, managers etc were very helpful and very friendly. The beach the hotel has is amazing as well water as blue as it gets. The Drinks inside the lobby were of medium shelf to top shelf liquor and all for the same price which i found amazing. The Pool was very nice as well and the Jacuzzi was very warm with nice bubble massage thingy. The Locality of the hotel was amazing 20 mins from the club zone and about 40 mins from walmart via bus which is only 8.50 pesos or about 80 cents USD. It is also very close to Isla De Mujeres which is a beautiful beach. Athough there isnt free wifi there is a CPU room that guest can use for free. The Snack bar by the pool isnt bad either.

Bad Things: The walk from the main entrance of the hotel to the hotel is self is horrible and can get rather annoying after a long day of Walking and swimming. The Food in the buffets were repetitive and the buffet area is rather small. There were no breakfast smooties which i found rather heart breaking. The Pool was beautiful but the water wasnt hot at all. NO FREE WIFI which was rather annoying. Breakfast was not as good as when i stayed in other resorts. The Shows were not good at all i would rate them 1 out of 5 which is horrible for what i paid. There are alot of better Options . I hated being bothered every day by hotel employees to join there VIP club which i found rather annoying seeing that there hotel wasnt good. I hate hotels that sell Villas and stuff because they tend to treat the regular tourist like crap unless we buy into there program. Who wants to pay 150 a day for a bed that is by the beach or 50 bucks for lawn chairs. STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL OR YOU WILL REGRET IT

Room Tip: Take the city bus and buy in the town not the Hotel including trips and exclusions or your bank acco...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jonathan b
lancashire
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My son got married in vegas so we decided to make a holiday out of the trip and visit Cancun and New York also. We spent a week at the Omni and had a brilliant time. We had an ocean and pool view room which was lovely. The choice of food was excellent, more so in the mexican and beach restaurant than in the main buffet. I loved the beach bar for a couple of drinks late afternoon, there is a good choice of drinks including smirnoff vodka and Jack Daniels on offer. In my opinion the only thing that let this hotel down was the evening bar, situated in the lobby with poor entertainment, this was the only bar open after 6pm. The hotel is a bus ride from downtown Cancun which isn`t a problem as the bus only costs 40p and runs past the hotel every couple of minutes. There are classy shopping malls close by and a wallmart and market a bus ride away. The beach is beautiful, clean white sand and turquoise sea.

3 Thank maureen g
Rossland, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We chose this resort specifically for the Tripadvisor beach rating after reading a lot of reviews of Cancun beachfront resorts. Having stayed there, I'd say the high beach rating is well deserved. The north south beach the Omni sits on is uniformly lovely and white for miles in each direction and there are dozens of resorts along that beach. What sets the Omni apart are the beachfront facilities available to guests. There is a beachfront restaurant, a beachfront bar with a swim up Jacuzzi, several showers, washrooms, a swim shop, beach volleyball and lots of umbrellas. We walked up and down the beach at night and most resorts chose to erect a wall along the beach and throw out a few token umbrellas. None had the same beachfront facilities as the Omni.

The beach itself is about 50 metres of perfect white sand between the resort and the ocean, with the usual amount of cigarette butts, straws and other resort detritus, although I've certainly seen worse. I'm guessing they rake the first few metres of sand by the resort overnight, or it would have been much worse. Further out by the water, the sand was much cleaner. Strangely, the most infrequent and polite beach vendors I've ever seen too, it was almost weird.

The wind blew hard for the entire week we were there (~35km/h), so the surf right off the shore was a bit wild. In fact, the lifeguard service (appeared to be municipal employees, not hired by the resort) had red flags along the entire beach, meaning 'no swimming at all' all week. Despite this, they were allowing swimming along a 100 metre stretch of beach directly in front of the lifeguard tower, I'm guessing so the lifeguards could watch everyone at once. Justifiably so, I'll add. I'm a pretty strong swimmer, but the surf during high tide was very, very powerful and spun me upside down on a few occasions. We swam in the first 25 metres or so of ocean, which the lifeguards didn't seem to mind, but they were whistling swimmers back in from any distance greater than that, which is probably prudent. Not sure you'd want to go out any further. You'd certainly want to keep a very close eye on your children in conditions like this, although most of the families seemed to be sticking to the pools anyway.

The resort itself was a secondary consideration for us, but I was pleasantly surprised. The buffet was more than adequate, maybe not spectacular, drinks were always generously free poured, nice stiff espresso shots from the main bar, a different freshly pressed green vegetable juice every day, rooms were very clean (yes, you could smell cleaning solution in the morning a little, but it was fine), free in room safe, bars everywhere with good hours, excellent sushi at the poolside sushi bar (didn't get sick at all, and we ate there a lot), nightly vendors set up by the pool whose prices seemed very reasonable compared to the vendors in town. Pools everywhere with lots of chairs, but not much shade.

Crisp service at every turn, especially after a leaving 20 pesos the first time. No free wifi which always annoys me, but free wired Internet in the business centre. Couldn't tell you much about the TV service, but they seemed to have hundreds of channels in the main bar, usually tuned to local football. Good Canadian exchange rate at the front desk, about on par with USD, so I would skip bringing USD next time to save on the bank exchange hit. It was a quick trip from the airport on the resort shuttle and a 20 minute public bus to the downtown markets for about $0.85.

All in all, I'd say the Tripadvisor ratings for the Omni are accurate. Excellent beach if that's your thing, everything else was just fine. I feel like we got very good value.

Room Tip: The lagoon side was certainly quieter, despite facing the main road into Cancun, but our first room...
1 Thank Dale G
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Went to the omni cancun hotel and villas for my birthday! This hotel is phenomenal! From the time you walk in the door every one is so welcoming! The entertainment staff makes sure you have a great time Alejandra, Antonio and Marco are so much fun. Even the servers at the restaurant are genuinely kind and gives exceptional service! The food is magnificent! One of the best all inclusives I've been to! Can't wait to go back next year! ~Lilah

• Stayed April 2013