“Great place for our vacation!”

Omni Cancun Resort & Villas
Ranked #38 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
hartford, ct
“Great place for our vacation!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We just got back from a week at Omni, and can't imagine why people are writing bad reviews.

check in - was fine. we got in at 10:00pm and had no problems. I did write and call before we arrived to check on the type of room. I also asked for a high floor as suggested by other reviewers. we got room 1901. was perfect.

Rooms - were fine. beds were comfortable (or at least ours was). Nice TV, closet and safe. did have a minibar - but we never used it except for the water. View was perfect. very quiet at night. shower water pressure was the best i have used in a hotel for a while.

bars - were excellent. We didn't seems to find the drinks weak. In fact, they were pretty strong! the lobby bar is run by MARTIN. he was amamzing. Very friendly and made up some nice and colorful drinks. He always had a smile and suggestions. It did close at 1am. but we were tired by then. Met lots of nice people. the lounge singers were very corny and tiredsome. Mexican music would have been better. not interested in the barry manilow songs! the pool bar was nice and had afternoon trivia. all other bars were great. we sat on the beach everyday and the wait satff came aound often. we only tipped MARTIN once.

Pool and beach - we got to the beach early the first morning (7:00) and no one was there. I would say by 7:45-8:00 all the seats were taken. We put stuff on our chairs and then had breakfast and came back. the pool seats were plentiful. I had heard they all might be gone, but maybe it wasn't too crowded when we were there. some people did save seats and then didn't show up for a while. Shaded areas did exsist, but not too much. the pools were fun. not much for heavy laps, but fun areas to play and hang out.

food - we found the food good. Paloma had a great variety each morning. We found the wait staff overly friendly and always asking if we needed anything. Never saw anyone tip. We didn't tip. For lunch Paloma was good again! Pina colada had great fajitas. the sushi bar we found fresh and satisfying. we ate at Davinci two nights. best food I have had in years! delicious! we did tip the waiter at the end - he wasn't expecting it and was very thankful.

Activities were poor - didn't have the yoga or Zumba they advertsed during the day. did do the trivia. we were a couple, so hanging on the beach was what we did. at night, we missed all the shows, as that was our dinner time. then we just hung in the lobby bar. was fine for us.

Overall, it was a great vacation! I had paid $239 for a king ocean view from sniqueaway.com. great price.

We are not too picky. everything was up to our expectations.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor. the floors START at 14 and go to 23. We were on the 19th overloo...
3 Thank smschloss

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We just got back from the omni.. starting from when we got there.. I think that this hotel needs free shuttle service to and from the hotel to airport most hotels seem to anyways. When we checked in we didn't get the room we were wanting. We got two beds and we were suppose to get one king size bed with all the bells and whistles. I was a little dissappionted in the little effort made to meet our expectations. Service was good kinda noticed if you tipped you would BETTER service. Servers would serve those who had money out on the tables and would take their time with your food/drinks.. don't get me wrong I would tip just to the people who seemed to deserve it.. servers who made your stay enjoyable and entertaining. Conceirge staff were helpful in directing us which were the best restuarants very impressed with that! ....Drinks were all right.. I didn't like any of them. The taste was not great. Probably because they use cheap liquor but all resort s do this I realized on the last day that they had premiums which would of made my drinking more enjoyable. You only get 3 diff beers to chose from as well. Most of the outdoor bars and food places close early which is a bummer. And the lobby bar at 1 which is early for an all inclusive. You get 24hr bar food room service which is okay but takes too long! Food is okay didn't wow me. I loved the beach scene one thing I didn't was all the chairs would be taken by people who thought by leaving a personal item on the chairs they could "reserve" them allllll daayyyy... not fair. Lots of things to do around the beach lots of entertainment and activities. Lots of kids I agree as said below but if you don't want that go to all adults ! We paid a fair price and I am very happy had lots of fun!!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank illy329
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed here one night in April 2013 so that we would be close to the airport for a flight out the next day (had been in Cozumel for a week). Booked the room through Jetsetter.com and never received a confirmation from the Omni. When we got there, they didn't seem to have the reservation, but since we had the email from Jetsetter, they gave us a room. It was $220 for 2 people - all inclusive for the night.

Grabbed lunch on the beach at Pina Colada. Very good service and food. Fairly wide variety on the menu. We then went to the pool area and were able to find a couple of lounge chairs in the shade to grab a power nap. The pool was busy - lots of kids. If you aren't in the mood to hear a bunch of children yelling and splashing, this is not the resort for you.

After snoozing, grabbed a snack at the sushi bar. Was fresh and very good. Then went down to the giant hottub for a pre-dinner drink. This seems to be the place everyone goes to at the end of the day - it was packed. We were able to get a couple of swings on the non-wet side of the bar and took in the view of the beautiful beach.

Went back to the room to change and then headed to the lobby for drinks. Ate dinner at Trattoria and it was excellent. It's the small Italian place by the pool. Grabbed dessert at Paloma (the buffet restaurant) and then went back to the lobby for entertainment. Unfortunately, there was none. They had a sad lounge act in the bar, but that was all. No nightclub, nothing. When I asked 'why not?' I was told that it's because they are a "family resort". Now, I've been to Beaches and Dreams multiple times - both of which have clubs for something to do.

This was a great option for us for one night. However, I'm only marking it 3 stars because if we had stayed any longer, I think we would've quickly bored of the pool scene and lack of nightlife. The place is supposed to be "upper upscale" too and I noticed some rough looking parts of the resort relative to peeling paint, cracked tile, etc.

If this review was helpful, please click the 'helpful' button.

Have a great trip!

4 Thank djd11
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Had high expectations only to be disappointed.
Food - tasted good but in our party of 8 at least one person had a dodgy stomach after every meal ( not good in an all inclusive as there were not other options without paying to eat out)
Room was nice, clean, but noisy with people in the corridors making a lot of noise and entertainment outside way too loud.
Pools - too cold to use. The kids in our party were disappointed as they were too cold to get in but they were not allowed in the warmer jacuzzi - and the sea was way too rough for them to go in there.
Cocktails were nice - but maybe the ice in them were not helping the stomach problems.
Shade - if you were not up early enough you do not get seats in the shade. We found the only way to get shade was to sit on the balcony in the room, however as there were a few of us this was not ideal as we would have liked to have sat together.
Bar - in the evening there was no outside bar but the inside one was way too hot. We could only sit there for a few minutes before overheating and having to move. We found we all went back to our separate rooms as there was nowhere to all go together.
Service - I went back to the room one evening to find the maid and security going through our things - apparently she had called security because we had so much valuable stuff in the room... Not really and no apology from the hotel who tried to justify it as standard procedure if there are valuables left in the room - all I know is I was really scared seeing strangers in my room especially when I hadn't identified one of them as security originally.
Surrounding area- nice but we did not get out of the hotel much due to feeling ill so much.
Standing on the balcony watching a child being sick by the pool did nothing to make it appeal.
I would not consider going back to the hotel and to be honest it has totally put me off Mexico too.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AS185
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This Hotel is a 3 for sure. Yes it was very clean. Chairs at beach very uncomfortable(some even broken) and yes you have to get there at 5 in the am to get chair at pool or to get a space with shade. Food teriible, almost no variety at all, in fact worst food resort ever. Speakers for the music at pool need help. Staff was average, yes some nice ones, but then some kinda rude ones and then those that want to sell you stuff. If I am not coming to you...don't bother me, I'm on vacation! You can play tennis at night, great! but you have to pay for the lights! Internet available, great, at $15.00/day, or you can use their business center at no cost (not mentioned).
On a positive side the Da VInci restaurant was great. But I would never go back to Omni.

Room Tip: dont select one go somewhere else
1 Thank monica f
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed at the omni after booking through hotwire. Good value for the buck. I traveled with my husband and 2 children 6 and 1. The hotel overall was good. The pools were nice but they lacked shaded areas. There are only a few corners with shade. No umbrellas. The beach was really beautiful. The waves a bit strong, but fun. The palapas are a great place for shade, this area could have used a cleaning, lots of cigarette buds in the sand (what a shame, people are so inconsiderate). We booked a hotel room overlooking the lagoon, very nice view of the ave at night. The room itself was average, nothing extraordinary or out of the ordinary. There is cable tv with disney (a plus for us). The food was good. Lots of variety, loved the tacos al pastor with green salsa! Our biggest complaint was the service from wait staff ( not the front desk). We are mexican american and felt discriminated. Every time we sat down to eat, we observed the same waiter give great service to a neighbor who was obviously not mexican and we would be ignored. Every requested went half served. Though tip is included, the waiters served for the dollar. The sad thing is we did have dollars to tip. Untill the staff realized this we were ignored. I would like to mention the only waiter that did not discriminate Antonio at the buffet was great. We asked for his section from then on. In all my family and I had a good vacation, def would not return to this hotel. We been to the riu many times and thought we would change it up for once. Also did the palace for our honeymoon. Probably would try a new hotel next time.

• Stayed April 2013
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed July 2012
Everything was great
We loved the food and service was top notch
Joined omni before we left and received free internet which worked well in our room (ground floor near the pool)
Purchased this trip from Costco and price was great plus it included airport to hotel transfers
Monica was the best concierge she contacted us prior to the trip as we needed to discuss my special needs daughter. Wow wow they really made her feel welcome and comfortable
We are returning again this summer and renting the villa

Room Tip: Stayed bottom floor near the pool This location was central and perfect to access everything Big...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family