“A great hotel if all you want to do is party and don't mind paying high food prices.”

Omni Cancun Resort & Villas
Ranked #38 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Emmett, Idaho
Reviewed May 18, 2011

We stayed at the Omni for 8 days hoping for some R and R. Upon arrival to the hotel we were escorted to a table assuming they were gong to check us in, but instead were talked to about their Vacation Club ( fancy name for a timeshare). Being tired from the long day, we finally agreed to to go to their 1 1/2 hr timeshare presentation which ended up taking 4 to 5 hours instead. (Probably because we had said "no" several times) Total time spent listening to sales people about this cost us a full day of our vacation with the only reprieve being a $150 food coupon to use in the hotel. Average meal was $25 to $30 which is expensive considering you're in Mexico. Although the rooms were fairly nice, you could hear everything, even people walking down the hallway. No laundry to wash clothes, only a laundry service which charges $5 per item. To get 2 pair of shorts, 2 shirts, 2 pairs of socks, and 2 pairs of underwear washed was $40. They also charge a $5 a day gratuity for maid service which I found out the maids don't even get. Also, everythng advertised as part of the stay such as Wi-Fi, beds onthe beach, etc are only for the "Vacation Club" members, otherwise you have to pay for these like $15 per day for Wi-Fi. We get a great 90 minute massage here at home for $50. Theirs start at $100 for an hour. Fortunately we walked enough so we didn't feel like paying for the fitness center (also advertised as complimentary).

Room Tip: The ocean view is the most scenic, but the noisie.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FrankandTresa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,270)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Whiteland, Indiana
Reviewed May 17, 2011

I found a killer deal on Expedia back in Feb 2011 & decided to book it for May 6 - 10, 2011. I'm so glad I did! ALL INCLUSIVE is the only way to go!

Pros:
1.) Exceptionally clean rooms (maid service even come back & provide clean towels after you shower & go down for dinner, unexpected PLUS & nice touch!).
2.) Food was great (it was a slow weekend & I was able to book dinner reservations at Da Vinci’s w/o any problems at all. (EXCELLENT food – and service! Chocolate lovers try the Lukewarm Fondant of Dark Chocolate – Suggested to me by our waiter who was just outstanding & so was the dessert!!!!!). We ate at Pina Colada’s for lunch & it was also great. BEWARE of the iguanas & birds! Thanks Sergio for being on pest control!!! . La Paloma was great for breakfast. We did the buffet each morning. Short of offering to chew our food for us, the service was great. We didn’t have to ask for 1 thing.
3.) Swim up pool & Jacuzzi bars! The hotel staff had trivia & different activities going on at the main hotel pool (1 w/the bar). My husband & I had so much fun participating & meeting all sorts of people.
4.) Mon., Wed., & Fri. entertainment & vendors come in to sell their wares. Don’t go down town! Unless you want the freebie pendant from Lapis or the tequila tour, riding the bus is not worth you losing your breakfast or thinking you are going to die while Juan drives like his hair is on fire! And, you can buy the same things in the gift shops or with the vendors (on those nights) for the same price or maybe a buck more w/o the PUSHINESS!

Cons:
1.) Time Share peddling pests! After you check in, go straight to your room. Don’t get caught up in the schpeel! They will tell you that they are showing you the map of the hotel. And they’ll even offer you FREEBIES! RUN!!! I avoided having to listen to the song & dance. I just blew off the “scheduled appt.” 
2.) The wait staff at night for La Paloma was a little slow. The food was great. But, the service between the morning & the evenings was no comparison.
3.) The beds were a bit hard for my liking. I am picky though & have a hard time sleeping away from home.
4.) We attempted to utilize the Free Wi-Fi in our room.....to no avail! We could access it in the lobby...just not in the room. When my husband tried to get help from the front desk, not much help there. We gave up & just came down to the loby any time we needed to check in.

Tips:
1.) Just keep walking straight out the double doors at the airport until you see your means of transportation to your hotel. Unless you want to hear about all of the “tourist attractions”. Trust me, you’ll hear about it over & over & over again! If your transportation is through Best Way, they will hook you up with whatever you need at your hotel. They have an onsite person there at the Omni.
2.) Lapis is pretty cool. I think everything is over-priced. We only went to snag the freebie pendants. Be prepared on having to go back the next day unless, you want to wait 2 hrs.
3.) As I said before, the bus is an experience. They drive like maniacs! And the magical button to get off the bus is at the back. If you don’t hit that sucker, you’re riding until you can sprint off while the driving is picking up someone. For 8 pesos (about 70 cents US), not a bad deal. And you have to pay every time you ride…even though they give you those tickets…you get off & 10 mins later you get back on…you pay again. And beware, if you give them US currency you may or may not get any change (pesos) back!
4.) Sign up to be an Omni Club member. You may or may not get to use the free Wi-Fi in your room.

We can-not wait to go back!!!! Thanks for making our honeymoon/anniversary/vacation memorable & relaxing!!! And yes, I will be booking w/the Omni again!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Annette-n-Darren
Birmingham
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Great hotel, never struggled to get a sun lounger, beautiful beach! The rooms were a bit on the small side but having come direct from Las Vegas that would be understandable! bathrooms could do with being updated, a bit old fashioned and showing signs of wear! food is good, gets a bit repeatative after a while in the main restaurant. Staff are great and look after you.

If planning to go to the main bars in Cancun it is a 10 minute bus journey.

The hotels in the area are very luxurious but when you step outside it isn't very clean, pavements are all buckled and uneven however I do understand it is not a very affluent country etc One thing I was very confused about was the crossings. I stood at one to cross the road and did anyone stop? no. Kind of defeats the whole object of having a crossing really! I did have a good time in Mexico and was a great experience with the best beaches I have seen. It is very similar to spain in all honesty,If you spent the same amount on a great hotel but less travelling.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Our family of two adults and two young adult children just got back from five nights at this hotel. Our stay was excellent! The hotel staff was outstanding and really made you feel welcomed. The facilites were very nice. Rooms, pools, beach and grounds were extremely well cared for and clean as could be.

Dinner the first night was just okay but we found breakfast and lunches in the beach side restaraunt very good.

Every staff member we encountered went out of their way to be sure you were having a good stay and were quite accommodating to our inquiries and requests.

Was a great week!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Once again my stay at the Omni was lovely. I own a 10 yr 1 BR timeshare there & would recommend this place. All the staff were excellent, especially Member services staff Mara , Selene & Susy. And the poolside animators. Marco, Charly, Davilia, Alex & Uvaldo!! We always had fun by the pool, weather it was for a silly game, water aerobics or trivia games!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank markapollo
Reviewed May 13, 2011

I went to Cancun to celebrate my 23rd birthday and graduating from the University of Utah. I went with family and friends, 8 people total. We booked through Costco which really helped save money for a big group. Overall I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the Omni resort itself and the service, and all inclusive is the way to go. You are constantly being offered drinks, even when your just laying out at the beach. Room service came with the all inclusive deal so we ordered that a lot and it was always wonderful. Da Vinci if the one fine dining restaurant and it was excellent! I would recommend getting calamari and the veal shank. Girls make sure you wear a dress or a skirt, or they will send you back to your room to change. Guys wear a shirt with a collar. La Paloma was good, and they offer fun theme nights with shows every night. Sushi bar was delicious, I recommend the banana roll and the surf and turf. Pina Colada was the other restaurant down on the beach which was good too. Everyone is soooo nice and accommodating, they just make you feel like you are royalty the way they carter to you. Every single member on staff was nice, smiling, fun, and making sure you were happy. Charlie was one if my favorites for sure, he hosts lots of fun pool activities and games and is really great at making sure everyone is having fun. Charlie and Marco were so awesome for us younger girls in the group as well, they made sure we went out at night and had a great time. They always made sure we were happy, so look for these guys and they will take good care of you. There is something to offer everyone at this resort, you really can't go wrong. I'm already planning another trip back next May.

Reviewed May 12, 2011

...just got back from the omni! I had the most incredible time! The staff was awesome! Loved going out to dadyo and the beach party with marco and charlie! They were so much fun and made sure that my friends and I enjoyed our stay! I would definitely go back! And can't wait to do so!