“Probably would not return”
Review of Krystal Cancun

Krystal Cancun
Ranked #69 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Just returned from 4 nights at this resort. I have stayed at numerous all inclusive resorts, in Mexico, Dominican Republic, Jamaica etc. It is the way I like to travel, not have to worry about anything. I will first give you the good. The food was good, we visited the Mexicano and had filet, it was wonderful. The beach was beautiful, never had a problem getting a chair.....and the location of this resort is probably as close to perfect as you're going to get to be able to walk to most things. The rooms were your normal hotel room (we had oceanfront view), and we had no complaints at all.

Where this resort fails, and why I would not go back, is its service. It started at check in with Irvin who was, well, just plain rude. I'm not sure if they figure with all inclusive, they already have your money so they don't need to treat you well or what. I mean this is the first resort where I actually felt that having purchased the all inclusive package was a bad thing. The staff as a whole, couldn't have cared less about helping people. With the exception of one wonderful waiter in the main restaurant, we couldn't even get a hello. I'm what you would call extremely low maintenance (don't have to have my room cleaned daily, not picky with food or drinks) and I can't stand it when people write bad reviews for things like "the room smelled liked mildew, or the room was damp. But I'm not exaggerating when I tell you it would take 10-15 minutes to get a drink at the bar....and at the beginning, we were tipping and still getting this service. One meal we sat down and even with all inclusive, you had to order off the menu.....it was 20 minutes before anyone even brought us a menu.

Overall we didn't let this ruin our vacation, still had a great time. I just will not return to this resort. If I go to cancun again it will be back to Riu or Iberostar.

Room Tip: Make sure you get oceanvie, otherwise you are looking straight at another resort. Noise was never an...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Paris A, Manager at Krystal Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you for this constructive comments.

It is a shame that you did not like our servie. Probably this topic and the guests safety it what we are connstantly trying to do better.

I guess there is somethig that it's not working properly. I apologize for this big problem and i assure i will take immediate action into this.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were at the Krystal Feb. 9-16. Our room in the new tower was clean and comfortable. The beach is nice and the hotel location is great for the active vacationer. What makes this hotel really stand out are the people who work there. They are genuinely friendly and helpful. Porters, cleaners, bartenders, waiters, managers and others all worked to make our vacation enjoyable. The house band was great too. My only criticism would be that the buffet food was somewhat repetitive and wasn't as good as the rest of the experience. Not bad by any means, but at the same time not as good as the other features. The Mexican dishes like tacos al pastor and Yucatecan tamales were really tasty though.

Had the pleasure of meeting Sr. Paris Aguilar, who helped us make dinner reservations at La Habichuela. Sir, you can be proud of your hotel and staff.

1  Thank jamesswisconsin

Omg thank you for this awesome review.

I am very proud reading this feedbcaks and i will take a look with our executive chef about the buffet display.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

My co-worker and I just got back from Krystal Cancun yesterday. We stayed Feb. 11-15. I have mixed feelings about this place. The beach is huge, and beautiful. Resort is dated, showing it's age. We stayed in the old tower, we're told it would cost $45 a night to upgrade! We did however have an ocean view, just not as good os an Oceanside room, but was nice view anyway!! Rooms were clean, but showing their age. No problems with noise other than an occasional door slamming shut from the wind. Food was pretty good, Mexican restaraunt was awesome. The beach was not crowded, we had no problems finding a spot to sit in the shade. No loud thumping music either. Waiters on the beach were hit or miss. No nightly shows, just a band in the lobby bar. If you are all about sitting on a quiet beach, this is the place for you. If you want daily and nightly activities, not going to happen here. We are not big party people, but would have liked the option of having some kind of activity/ show on the grounds to participate in.

2  Thank cindyf123

Thank you for your feedback of Krystal Cancun.

I will check the issue you mentioned about the waiters in the beach area. I apologize for that lapse of service.

Gracias for your preference!

See you soon!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Overall the Krystal resort is nice but the pictures make it look much nicer then it really is. It's basic and for the price you pay don't expect anything extra.

Pros-
Big pool
Great location - Close to Coco Bongo and other fun areas
Beautiful beach and water
Quiet and Relaxing
BBQ night was amazingly good
Day beds beach side

Cons-
Customer service is not number one (some employees were fun but most weren't)
Average food
Not everything is included in the all inclusive – Bottle water wasn’t, unless you asked for it!
AC in the room didn't cool much, just blew air around.
Our room key didn’t work -We had to go down SIX times and demand a new room numerous times before finally getting one. I can understand issues happen but after the 4 time come on.
Ocean view is an additional $30.00 per night, it is not included in your deal on Bookit.

One other thing that seems odd was they would not allow friends to visit the hotel unless they were staying there. We had friends that came into town a few nights before we left and they would not let them in with us to see our hotel.

It also lists that they have a hot tub, but don't expect it to be heated. It is air heated.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mitch320
Paris A, Manager at Krystal Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Gracias for contributing with this review.

I am sorry for the incidents regarding the rooms keys this is a problem that can happen by different reasons during our guests stay.

By the other hand the oceans views are sell in the hotel directly or in any travel agency like in any hotel with ocean view in the world. book it sell it but you dind't buy it.

Regarding from the other people visiting the hotel. Let me tell you that you and the other guests pay for safety, privacy and exclusivity that is why.

We have a jacuzzi and i don't know where you saw listed the hot tub cause in our offical websites are not listed.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

The beach and location were great. As others stated it's too bad the bars don't open until 11 a.m. Some times you get an outstanding waiter and other times you're not so lucky. We witnessed a couple of guys who busted their butts all week long for customers and made sure to tip them well every day.

Only suggestion I have for the management is to invest in good pillows. The flat, foam ones provided made for a terrible night's sleep - consistently.

2  Thank C-T C

Thank you very much for your feedbacks...

I will follow up into these theme directly...

As well i will be monitoring the waiters in the pool area.

Feel free to contact me directly at: lvpaguilar@krystal-hotels.com

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We were first put into the old part of the resort and our bellhop asked up if we wanted to move to the new part when he saw how disappointed we were. Thank you, Jose!!!!.
The room was average, not an oceanfront. And like someone else said, our clothes always seemed damp but I attributed that to the humidity outside and not in the room. When we laid out wet clothes out, they always dried. We had to ask for towels and after the first time, we didn't have to ask again. I thought the rooms were clean but needed maintenance, it was an old resort, even the new part.
The 24 hour room service was very nice and I had no complaints about the food. The restaurant next door was very nice and it was included in the all inclusive. Food there was excellent. The diet coke at the resort was terrible however and if you asked for a can of diet coke it would cost you extra. Wierd, seeings how they would put cans of regular coke in the mini bar in the room which was free. Didnt get that part.
There was not any bottled beer available unless you paid for it, only draft beer for all inclusive.
The drinks were great, And they would make anything for you with top shelf.
The service was so so. Some of the servers were over the top and others were below average.
The bartender at the the pool was great (Christian). Also the servers at the beach bar, (Edgar and Leonardo). These 3 were good whether you tipped them or not. The girl that worked at the front desk during the day went out of her way to help us, thank you soooooooo much Gabriella!! The other front desk staff in my opinion were just average. Did what they had to. We were there for Superbowl sunday and the resort didn't do anything special for it like the other resorts did.
The TV didnt work very well, static on most stations for most of the trip. You could hear everything out in the hall also.
Location was excellent.

Room Tip: Newer rooms are nicer.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Gracias for posting a review in tripadvisor.

I find very confussing your feedbacks. I know we have an old building that we are continously renovating and new towers that you found old...

As well i was during the superbowl and we made trivias and activities and we even put a big screen projector in the lobby bar with the superbowl spoken in english with free snacks. I saw the waitress dressed up like quarterbacks... That's why i found confussing this post.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Olympus Tours provided pleasant transport to & from resort & tours. No complaints whatsoever about the resort. Gave no interest/energy to the timeshares, beach was swimmable/walkable, property is gorgeous. Loved the hammocks & beach beds and the fact that security was always around night & day. Pool tables were well kept although it wouldn’t hurt to have more than 2 pool sticks for both tables. Lobby bands were excellent! Room colors/patterns and balcony view were soothing. Bartender Francisco & water-hole crew were awesome ~ kept me in vacation mode. All food was tasty. Walking distance to clubs and variety of restaurants off-property. The open-air Mandala nightclub was my favorite. I liked supporting the market place over the outlet because I got to swap stories with more people. All I met were pleasant & friendly. Didn’t get to use the beautifully arranged spa facility. Water pooled on the floor of the Spa’s Jacuzzi room which extended to the hallway was a deterrent. Maybe I’ll try it another time when it’s fixed. Gym was clean & usable. We should get some kind of discount from the attached club since you will hear the music until it’s closed. It was music I liked so I didn’t mind at all. I look forward to returning. Yes, I recommend this place!

Room Tip: Rm 1149 was pretty nice. We got an extended balcony ~ good for sunning & exercising!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joey00

Thank you for these review on tripadvisor. I have already takenc are of the iisues you mentioned in your post.

I am very glad to see you liked the location from the hotel... This is really one of the plus any place or hotel can have. Our guests in the hotel can forget doing a budget in transportations due our location from the best spots in Cancun. everything its walking distance.

We hope to see you again in Krystal Cancun.