“Great getaway!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #69 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great getaway!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

My sister and I just returned a couple of weeks ago from our one week stay at the Krystal Cancun and we had an amazing time! I can speak for us, when I say all the staff was so friendly. When we arrived (the lobby is just beautiful) we had originally booked a deluxe room with two queen beds with the all-inclusive plan of course, the gentlemen at the front desk upgraded us to a ocean view room at a very reasonable price which was the beginning to our great vacation. The room was spacious, we ended up staying in a Club Ocean View room with two queen beds which were very comfy, the safe came in really handy, and the bathrooms were clean, over the head shower which made it easy to get sand out your hair after the beach. Roberto took care of our bags and gave us a nice tour around the hotel on our way to our room, he was really nice made us feel so welcomed, thanks! Our favorite spot was the bar by the jacuzzi, bartenders Xavier and Christian were the best, made us yummy drinks, some we requested and some they made up for us to try, they were so nice, attentive and always had some of our favorite salsa songs playing, thanks again Christian and Xavier! The location of the hotel was perfect for our purpose, we wanted to get away and have fun but also relax. The view from the room was breath taking, the ocean is beautiful especially if you get up early enough to catch the sunrise and there is plenty of places to relax to the sound of the ocean around the beach, the pool or lounge areas inside the hotel. The clubs are literally walking distance away, the closest takes you less than a minute to walk to and the farthest less than 5. The pool was always clean and the water temp always comfortable. The food was good, room service is just as good. The Montero mexican restaurant was one of our favorite dining spots, the Mariachis were awesome. The beach was clean, white sand, blue water, beautiful sight. Overall I recommend Krystal Cancun, had a great experience, definitely will be returning on future vacations! Thanks to all the attentive staff, they were all great!

Room Tip: I recommend a ocean view room in the new building
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LeenetteC_24
Paris A, Manager at Krystal Cancun, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
thank you so much for your preference. it's very kind of you to give us part of your time to write don an awesome review from Krystal Cancun and sharing your holidays with million of pepple around the world.

i will let know the staff you mentioned and congrats about his good service and effort.

It would be a pleasure hosting you at anytime...

lvpaguilar@krystal-hotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (652)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

We are finishing up our stay at the Krystal. Overall it was a good experience but I wouldn't return here. There are many hotels to choose from that offer better quality, service and atmosphere.

We booked the Krystal Club all inclusive. It has a private check in and the rooms are ocean front in the new tower. However the club room and check in are in the old tower? Which doesn't make a lot of sense?

The Krystal Club really doesn't offer a lot for the money. The only benefits for us were easy check in and newer ocean front rooms. Although there were also rooms in the club tower that face the street? Not sure who gets those rooms?

The older tower has the main bar and restaurant. Service is slow at all the bars and many guests are just plain rude and walk up and yell an order to the bartender regardless if there are others waiting. There is only 1 bartender per bar as well. Must have something to do with limiting drinks served on the all inclusive plan.

The lobby is a little tired looking and the furniture looks dirty.

There is no pool service or table service for drinks on the all inclusive plan. Just fight for yourself at the bar. Sol is the only free beer at all the bars some charged $3 for corona.

Food is somewhat limited. One main restaurant. One outdoor restaurant. Buffet mostly. It was ok. U can reserve their signature restaurant El Mortero. We did and food and service were very good. But it books up quickly and u need to make reservations at the front desk.

There is also a dine out option where u get a coupon for $10 off per person on your bill at Outback and Bubba Gumps.
Getting the coupon is a little difficult. The. Staff at the front desk have conflicting accounts on when u could get it and what it was good for. I finally just said I Want it now and they gave me one. The restaurants were equally confused. So make sure u show it upon arrival to make sure they will accept it.

Our room was nice. Direct ocean view with balcony. The smoke alarm was missing from the ceiling. The alarm clocks time was off half an hour and couldn't be adjusted. The safe didn't work. The bathroom BADLY needed paint and the mirror was badly desilvered and needed replacement. We got one hand towel a day and had to ask for a box of Kleenex. Also there wasn't a pen or paper in the room. Some servi bar items are included in the all inclusive. U get two beers. Two pops and two liters of water each day.

Maid service was either very prompt or they didn't come at all and I had to call. Check in is at 3pm. Our room wasnt ready til almost 4pm.

The most inexcusable issue was the kids club. If u have children and u are thinking of using it be forewarned. As I was walking to my room I walked past it. A boy about 2-3 yrs old opened the door and walked out. All alone. He walked off toward the beach and I told him to wait for someone or go back to the club. I stuck my head inside and there was only another parent with a child. No one inside incharge. I yelled to the waiters at the restaurant and they went with me and found the boy on the beach! Alone. They took him back to the kids club as I was asking where the attendant is? They thought she probably stepped out for a minute!! Are u kidding me!!! Sure enough she came walking back and they turned the child over to her. They told her what happened and she chastised the boy for leaving the club!! I guess in Mexico it's ok if u lose a few kids. If it had been my daughter I would have been LIVID!!!!

It was a good vacation. If was an ok hotel. I would look else where next time. I would never let my child alone at the kids club.

• Stayed January 2013
5 Thank Scott D
Paris A, Manager at Krystal Cancun, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Gracias for submitting an opinion through this website.

it is a shame not to exceed our guests needs. I really apologize for the inconveniences you mentioned in oyur review.

There is one thing that i can tolerate and it is the point of the kids lcub. I followed up into this theme and let me tell you that the girl in charge of the kids club it is not working anymore in our hotel.

Feel free to contact me directly for any information.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We just returned from our stay at Krystal Cancun. Overall it was an amazing week. Most of the staff were very nice. The front desk staff could be a bit friendlier- they seem to rarely smile. However, Julio, the bellboy who handled our luggage was a genuine sweetheart. He took great care of our bags and we had some great conversations with him! Also Roberto, the day time bartender at the lobby bar was fantastic. He made GREAT drinks! Our room was very nice, only complaint was the noise in the hallway. We could hear everything! The location of the hotel was perfect for us. Walking distance to fun shops and restaurants, but also isolated enough to be able to relax. The beach was great, the break in the water made it calm enough to actually be able to swim. LOVED the food and service at the restaurants. El Mortero had a fun atmosphere as well. Chan helped us book two fun "excursions". We went on a catamaran trip (Samba) and also ziplining (Boca del Puma?) through the jungle and it was well worth it-we had SO much fun! I would say there was not enough night time things going on....we wished the outside bar was open so we could enjoy the wonderful weather. Overall we could recommend this resort to our friends, and would most likely go back again! Thank you for a great week!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank MrsBull
Paris A, Manager at Krystal Cancun, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you very much for your time.

It is a pleasure to receive such wonderful reviews from our hotel.

If there is anything i may do for you please let me know.

Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

If you plan to stay at the Krystal Cancún, beware of the cheating staff! It started out great, warm welcome at the entrance from a guy "Alex". Afterwards we had to go to 8th floor to the "VIP check in". After the check in we went to our room with an ocean view (really nice), and an OK nice room and bathroom and flat screen tv (didn't use it, so don't know if it really worked or not). Shortly after we recieved a bottle of champagne and a cake to share (apparantly they thought we were on honey moon - tell them the same when you book, then you'll probably get it as well). The view from the 8th floor where we had breakfast is really beautiful. The bali beds on the beach are also worth getting up early for. But from this it just went down hill:

- The hotel is located in the "cheap end" of the hotel zone, and our room with the beautiful ocean view was fine, but the hotel's nabours are really loud - partying all night and day. But if you're into loud music 24/7, this is perfect for you.

- We booked a table at the Italian restaurant, but when we came back we couldn't get a table outside as we asked for. Why? We couldn't book a table (why not just tell us this when we booked it?). We were seated inside instead, but shortly after we were told to find another table, because the table we sat at were taken/reserved (what!?). After a short discussion we kept our table. At the end of the service the staff put 50 Pesos on the cheque as a tip. We always tip when we think they deserve it, but we want to decide the amount for ourselves, this was SO rude and wrong (confirmed by the front desk manager later on). So be sure to double check your cheque before you pay!

- The beach bar (which is really expensive and has a really bad service) didn't give us our change when we ordered to Coronas. We had to yell at the staff to get his attention and ask for our change back. Took him about 5 minutes... And then he didn't even give us all our money back, so we had to ask him again for ALL our change money back. They had a seriously bad attitude!

- The other restaurant charged us for two large bottles of water for our lunch, we only had to very small bottles. After the two other incidences we were not sure wether this was a fortunate mistake, or another attempt to rip us off.

- The 2nd morning we were woken by some really loud knocking on our door at 6 in the morning (when we were sleeping), and some rude staff member (maybe a security guard) yelled something in mexican, something about "ropas" (clothes), so we went outside and took our 3 pieces of clothes inside (were hanging on the beach chairs outside to dry. After this they went away again. Great. Maybe the hotel should tell their guests not to hang clothes outside, or at the least wait untill we are awake, no need to wake us up about this!

- The last day we wanted to complain about the unfortunate events above (except for the music, this wasn't their fault) and spoke with the front desk manager (asked for the hotel manager, but he wasn't available). He was sorry about the incidents and called the restaurant and bar manager who didn't even looked at us. He told him about the incidents and he went to talk with the staff (so they said). The front desk manager then asked us to write the incidents down on a paper (we had just explained it to him for 15 minutes). But okay, we could write the things down and bring the letter back later. We went to our room to get our money for lunch (anywhere else but at the hotel), but couldn't get in - none of the key cards didn't work! The housekeeping were right next door, so we asked them if they could let us in, which they did (without any asking - bit scary of the lack of security). We went inside and got our money and went to The Hard Rock Café for lunch. When we came back we went to the reception to tell them about the key cards, and a lazy, not very happy, woman scanned the cards and gave them back: "Now they work". Ok, great. We went outside to relax by the pool for some hours. After the last dip in the pool it was really cold and the sun came down so we wanted to go to the room for a nice warm bath... But did the key cards work? NO. We went to the reception AGAIN (all wet and in shorts and bikini - the clothes were inside the room now that we couldn't leave it outside). The same grumpy lady in the front desk asked a colleague to go with us to our room to fix the door. Took him about 45 minutes to get us in. I wanted to get some fresh air inside, and then realized, that the sliding door was unlocked and we didn't do it, could only be the housekeeping that forgot to lock it. Not cool! After all this we wasted over 1 hour of our last day of our vacation and didn't want to waste another minute on the hotel writing the complaints. But here you go! And after all this, they still made us pay for the two really expensive bottles of water we drank in the room...

Other smaller things we didn't complain about: dead cockroaches on the floor and boring breakfast selection. The only true and friendly staff member was one of the guys who handles luggage - unfortunately I don't remember his name, but he seemed "real" and wasn't trying to steal our money.

Room Tip: Ocean view is recommended, also in the new part of the hotel (heard the old part is really bad).
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Louise B
Paris A, Manager at Krystal Cancun, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

I want to apologize for the bad service you experienced with us.

I have follow up all the issues you mentioned and some of them i just couldn`t find it or never existed... but others i have already taken the correct meassures. I assure you these problems won't happen again.

Please allow me to assist you directly,

lvpaguilar@krystal-hotels.com

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have been coming back to this hotel for over ten years. The beach is great since they reboot the beaches on Cancun. They have an excellent pool. The hotel is great for families and is walking distance to the Cancun nightlife. The breakfast buffet is reasonable and very good. I have stayed in 2 bedroom ocean front rooms which have the best views I have ever seen. Beats Hawaii. The turquoise water of the Carribean is incredible. The two towers have balconies o the rooms facing the ocean. Make sure t get an ocean view room. They have been upgrading this older hotel. They built a new tower a couple of years ago and added balconies onto the original tower.

Room Tip: Make sure to get an ocean front room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Wow!! Thank you very much

I really appreciate you preference and loyalty.

Yes have rebuilt different hotel areas and rooms. As well new changes are coming this year.

Feel free to contact me directly for any assistance.

Oswego, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I would rate this hotel "5 stars" if it wasn't for one of the restaurants we ate at. (More on that later:)) First of all, the beach/pool area is fantastic! We had been in Cancun for 7 days staying at a rented villa, and then 4 of our parties came to te Krystal Cancun for 3 additional nights. We booked 4 rooms and all were in great condition. We loved the sound of the waves coming through the patio doors in the morning and at night! The people at the "Best Day" tour desk were excellent! They set us up with some great tours and were super courteous. The rooms were cleaned on time and very well! Beds were great! Okay, now the restaurants. They need more, and we had a bad experience at one of them. (Can't remember the name but they cooked part of it out on the beach and it was a buffet.). My husband and I went and paid about $60, and all we had was some small dessert off the buffet. Nothing else. The food did not look good and the service of the people cooking was lackluster. We were very disappointed we had waisted our $$. We didn't eat in the hotel after that, so that was a little disappointing. We did go to VIPS which was right across the street and they had several good items to offer at good prices, more of a family restaurant option. So overall a great stay, but I wish we had our $$ back from that one dinner! LOL BUT we will be back to this hotel next year!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank thawkins2000
Paris A, Manager at Krystal Cancun, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you very much for your time.

I am sad about hering that we felt shortly in oyur expectations.

We have benn changing our menus based in out guest's feedbacks and we are about to opne 2 new restarants in the next months.

I have addressed this review to the Chef and the foods and beverages Manager.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Just come back from 7 nights at the Krystal Cancun, had a great time, all the staff there were great, especially a man named Mauricio he makes sure your well looked after when your heading out to party or just laying by the beach. Bravo Mauricio!
Tip him well ladies and gentleman

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank Bruno111284
Paris A, Manager at Krystal Cancun, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for writing down a review on this website.

I will tell Mauricio about this review. He is doing an excellent job.

We really appreciate you preference.

See you soon!