“Beautiful ocean, major up-keep required to the property”
Review of Krystal Cancun

Krystal Cancun
Ranked #68 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I started traveling to Cancun since we were dating in the 90's. Our last trip to Cancun was in 2006 after the 2005 Hurricane (with our first baby). This was our first time back since then (2 kids later and our 9th trip to Cancun) To this date, it seems that they are still trying recuperate. This hotel has had many challenges especially since they had lost their beach to the Hurracane in 2005. Yes before this they did have a beautiful beach which only extended past the right of the pillars if you look at the hotel from the beach. We used to go swimming out there at night as well. IT WAS AN AMAZING PLACE!!! The bar below (going ou towards the beach) was always open during the day. Amazing drinks!!! You could order your drink and it would be served in a watermelon or a coconut depending on what drink your ordered. It was all so over the top tropical feel and location was amazing. This place was actually a 5 star resort at the time.

Anyway, the beach has now been fully restored and expanded along with now having an ocean barrier to keep the waves from coming in and protecting the resort from severe hurricane damage. This is a plus!! You can actually go into the ocean and keep walking in. The left side of the beach (newer side because this is the part that was never there before) is very child friendly. My two year old loved it. People go snorkling out there.

They have added a new jacuzzi overlooking the ocean and removed the white railing and put up glass railing. The restaurant by the pool is no longer La Rarotonga (yes very dissapointing to us as they had the most amazing seafood tacos ever) This has changed and it is now enclosed by glass (this was all open before.

The first night we were put in the old tower. NOT SO BUENO!!! At all. The room was facing the parking lot which really didn't matter. My ISSUE was the smell of the room. This room had not been remodeled at all. The mirrors were still the the same ones which would not be a big deal if they were in good condition. These had the black patches on. The window lock was broken. You could open the window which is okay if you don't have a two year old trying to open it. There was not safety anything in there. She could have actually climbed over and fallen. The bed was dirty and had hair on it like some had been on the bed with dirty feet and left hair after laying down. Was not a happy camper. The AC WAS STILL THE SAME UNIT FROM 30YRS AGO. The wall was stained from the AC.

They added a new building which only has ocean view rooms. We were moved to the new building the next day. This is great with the exception of the materials used. The doors are already breaking (cheap wood). We had a two bedroom suite the door in one room was splintered and a chunk of it about ready to fall off. This made it expand and hard to open. The other bedroom the wood was cracking from the top of the door all the way to where the key goes in. The shower design is not very well done. The water spills over onto the floor as the slope to the drain was not designed very well. (okay not taking out of my a**) just so happens you notice the Imperfections more when youi have architects and designers in the family. And working in a construction management firm teaches you a thing or two...needless to say I spent every day using up all the towels to dry the floor every time someone took a shower. There is only half a glass door to the shower on the side where the shower head comes down fromt he ceiling BUT unfortunately the water splashes to the bathroom door causing water to seep into the hall way as well and causing the door to be destroyed with so much water hitting it.

They are still working on restoring the resort and wish them the best of luck but for a visitor that has been there so many times it is very dissapointing. Okay before I forget the spa/gym have not been remodeled. The gym has the floor still lifting from the water seeping in. slimy water is bad. And when you hear a guest complain that the sauna is not hot enough that is a problem. It is also a health hazard to have it be cooler...

Room Tip: make sure you request to be put in the new building. If you are put in the old tower make sure your...
2  Thank Babybabbz
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thank you for choosing Krystal Cancun. It was a pleasure having you with us during your recent visit to Cancun.

I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the lapse of service you experienced during your visit.

I've already contacted you and i want to thank you again for your different inputs you mentioned and for your loyalty with us.

You have my personal contact information and it would be a pleasure assisting to you at anytime...

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Staff has some service issues. Some are friendly and helpful, some are not. Facilities are older and in some places quite tired. The staff that tries to sell a new version of timeshares as an investment are deceptive in many ways. There is quite a hard sell on the timeshare side and after laying out the concept some one else came in and picked up the descriptions as if they were embarrassed by the descriptions or did not want to be questioned about what they are really selling. As a crash pad its fine for doing outside activities for a few days. I wouldn't stay here for a whole week. For an all inclusive place the food is better than average.

Room Tip: rooms on the east side have a view of the gulf
3  Thank bcampbell65
Paris A, Manager at Krystal Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to detail your recent experience at The Krystal Cancun

We regret to learn this way regarding the issue you mentioned with the consistence of our staff.

Even though we continuously strive to offer exceptional levels of service, it appears we fell a little short on this occasion.

If I may be of the slightest assistance to you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me at lvpaguilar@krystal-hotels.com

Reviewed July 4, 2012

When we arrive, The room had no A/C..When we complained, we were told there were no rooms available for the night to try the next day. The night was so uncomfortable. We came here to enjoy a stress free night but instead this night was the worst and it turn our vacation to unenjoyable event.

Room Tip: do not recommend
7  Thank Anytha g
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

We are deeply sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations during your recent visit to our hotel, all of which attributed to you feedback.

a few days ago i contacted you inbox and i haven't received any reply. This is because i want to give a proper follow up on this incident you mentioned cause we've had rooms availables these last weeks.

We would also like to thank you for your comments. Those ones help us out to improve our services.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

I could say many things about the property, but this time I would like to use some words to talk about a quartet of very friendly guys that play at the lobby and the terrace every night. They try very hard to make your stay very pleasant, they also are very friendly and they play with the hearth. It is fun to sit down and hear them having fun. Thanks

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony heading towards the sea. They have a good view
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Miguel R
Management response:Responded July 7, 2012

Thank you for sharing your special experience with us. It was an honor to be a part of this wonderful occasion and I will share your kind comments with the managers involved.
As any member of the staff, strive daily to exceed the expectations of our guests.

Hurry back!

Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

This is a great hotel the location is just perfect,good price, everything is close from night clubs to places to eat...... Beach is awsome!! Dont know someone here said they jad no beach its perfect my wife and i had a blast even with the rain and all had a blast gonna stay here again for sure....ONLY BAD THING WAS THE BUFFET FOR DINNER ITS EXPENSIVE AND NOT MUCH TO EAT.... AND DONT GET SCAMMED BY THE TIME SHARE LADY LOL THEY OFFER YOU A FREE BUFFET AND STUFF DONT DO IT!!!

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Robtj
Management response:Responded July 7, 2012

On behalf of the Management team at The Krystal Cancun, we would like to thank you for completing your review on Tripadvisor

Our hotel prides itself on providing five star service. And like in any company mistakes can happen. I will check personally this theme you mentioned regarding the sales staff..

By the other hand... Our prices on the restaurants in the hotel are below the average in the Hotel Zone.

We would welcome an opportunity to discuss these issues further with you and can be contacted at lvpaguilar@krystal-hotels.com

Reviewed June 29, 2012

I go to cancun quite often and this place wasnt bad! When we first checked in we noticed how beautiful it is. it's well done and very clean. what they dont tell you is they have 2 towers, one of which is upgraded. the other, looks like an old motel. I asked if i could pay to have our room upgraded but they said they didnt have any available. we were brought to our room and as we entered, it was already occupied by 4 young men there for spring break. we walked right in on them. they immediately gave us an upgrade to the new tower with no charge. our new room was beautiful with an ocean view and nice balcony. we had all inclusive. the food wasnt the best, but it wasnt the worst. there was always something to fill you up. the bar closes rather early, but thats the only complaint i have. its within walking distance to nightlife and everything else you need. the bars and clubs are literally outside your door. you could hear the noise from the hotel but once it the room, it was fine. All in all, i enjoyed it and would go back. the beach was beautiful and the staff was helpful.

Room Tip: reserve one in the renovated tower!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Cassi L
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

Muchas gracias for writing a review in tripadvisor.

I saw you liked the hotel and had a good time in Krystal Cancun. However i will check this two issues you mentioned during your check i and the food.

I am glad to see the first one was handled promptly. These last months we had a very high ocuppancy. Our 4 towers were fully booked some weeks.

Feel free to contact me... I really want to know more about the food problem in order to speak with the executive chef directly.

Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

Regarding my stay and comment on last March, I want to write some more review. Previous stay, I wrote "half expectation" to share what I was facing at the time. I will not mention it again. My today objective is to give a sincere gratitude to manager ( Paris A.). After I informed and complained about service I got. I was immediately contact from manager. The thing I really appreciated that was " heart-concern". He called me 5pm. cause he thought I was sleeping ( it came from I couldn't sleep at night cause some people made loud noise all night long). Once I was contacted , I was moved to a new and upgrade room with drink complementary. Of course, I was very happy with a new room but above of all I love is " response with heart" . Calling me at 5 pm cause you knew I was sleeping ! Impress!! ... My husband needs me to make a review again to say all fact we got. This is a positive part I should mention it. I have to wait for 3 months after the first review about same hotel due to tripadvisor 's rule.

Thank you for giving my husband and I the good time in all 4 days left. Again really appreciate hotel's manger response.

Anyway, I still need to comment about front desk service. They are not friendly ( sometimes rude) in the rest of my 4 days. Housekeeper were perfect, they couldn't speak English but try to understand what I want. It's totally opposite by front desk who know English well but ignore to understand anything.

I had both bad time and good time. I can't compare them but I insist to go back to Krystal again cause I think most of people there want to keep and give all good thing.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Hitz_tani
Management response:Responded July 1, 2012

Thank you again for giving us another opportunity to rate us and giving us a good feedback on tripadvisor.

We aware of the issues you mentioned and i can assured we are continously working to fullfill any guests needs. Your inputs are kindly welcome.

It's a very nice gesture of you this review. We can see you are really such a nice person.

It would be a pleasure assisting you at anytime.

Paris Aguliar Ugarte