“WARNING-BEACH UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!”

Flamingo Cancun Resort
Ranked #71 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed December 3, 2009

We are staying here this week (Dec 1-6) and I just wanted to let people know that this hotel's beach is under construction. We booked a juinor suite and were upgraded to a deluxe room which is on the top (6th) floor because the check in woman said it'd be quieter. Expect to hear the beep beep beep of catapillars/machinery sometimes as early as 6 am and sometimes as late as 9:30pm. NO ONE is on the beach at all - for the few people here they are generally in the pool areas.

Otherwise the hotel is okay for what the price was. Got a pretty good deal on Orbitz for this hotel and we now understand why. I know I checked the reviews here on TA before booking this hotel and nothing was said about work on the beach. So maybe it just started - don't know for sure but wanted to let people know before booking.

Another irritating thing for us is the number of timeshare people around - they are everywhere - even in the hotel lobby! They want you to visit the hotel next door which is owned by the same people that own the Flamingo-TIMESHARE!! But of course they don't call it that.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank WIBadgergirl
FlamingoMexico, Sales at Flamingo Cancun Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2009

We are very sorry you did not have a good experience with us. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered.
However please note our Local authorities have started a program to restore the main area of beaches in Cancun; in order to give our turism a better time here. Unfortunately, the hotel is not held liable for this since it is an external situation.
The offering of the vacation club is not supposed to be an inconvenience for any of our guests, it is just for those who become interested in this kind of service.We will definitely let the proper management know of it so the proper measures are taken to avoid a problem.
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We hope to welcome you again very soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,027)

Reviewed November 28, 2009

I was looking to visit Cancun on a budget and after checking the reviews, settled on the Flamingo. It was a great choice. It's maybe the best value hotel in Cancun. The staff was extremly helpful with anything and everything I asked or needed. I was upgraded to an ocean view and the view was breathtaking. It was a standard room so there was no mini-bar or safe in the room. But traveling alone I didn't really need a fridge and the front desk has a safe for guests to use if needed.

The Flamingo is in a wonderful location, with restaurants and a mall across the street. Frankly everything I needed was in walking distance and I never needed a taxi or bus.

Besides the beach erosion, the only downside was the hotel had a retro feel to it, both in design and furnishings. But I guess it depends on personal opinion; my girlfriend loved it. Also, if you plan on using the pool or going to the beach, make sure you have good pair of sandals or sneakers with you. There is no carpeting at the Flamingo, all floors are tile and when you're feet are wet it can be slippery.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank lionelhutz
Reviewed November 8, 2009

We have been going to Cancun for over 10 years now and stayed at a bunch of different hotels. This is the one we have settled into for the last 3 years after doing a little research on prices and service and I plan to return again next year as well, for the price it cannot be beat. I have found that the larger hotels do not have enough staff (bar tenders) to take care of the needs of the customers as well as the smaller ones..........I do not like standing in line 3 and 4 deep to get drinks in those temperatures and I don't think you will either, no problems here just tip the guys a little and they will have them ready by the time you get to the pool bar after they see you get up and head in that direction. The rooms are super clean the food is good and the people are friendly. It is a small property with a great staff that remembers your name after a few days and there is always a smile on their faces. Make sure to get a massage from the ladies located behind the pool bar, it will make all your worries drip right out of your finger tips. The musicians in the bar in the evenings are very good at what they do and if you get a chance check out the bass player at his other gig at Daddy Rocks down on the strip, it will blow your mind ! The food and beverage supervisor Gabriel, keeps a close eye on everything and if you need anything, as long as it is within reason, he can make it happen for you. If you want a deal and a great place to visit with good food, good people, great staff, awesome views and it's cheaper than going to Myrtle Beach for a week.........this is your place!

• Stayed: July 2009
6  Thank TheTater
Reviewed October 25, 2009

This is my second time staying at this hotel. For the price, the staff and it's location it can not be beat! I almost didn't want to write this review because I feel like it is my hidden gem! LOL It is such a fun atmosphere at the hotel. The staff are awesome, caring and so much fun. They truly care about you. They are willing to do anything to accommodate you. I will say this is not a "5 star hotel" but does get high stars because it is such a wonderful place. We had the junior suite which was beautiful and perfect for us. Our room was always clean and items restocked daily. We did get a mini fridge in the junior suite, not in the regular room the year before. Also, they have a couple computers you are able to use for free. A few bars, 2 big pools, a kiddie pool, and 2 restaurants. One is right on the beach and is just beautiful to eat at in the evening as the sun is setting. The hotel is positioned perfectly, you are right across the street from Jimmy Buffett`s Margaritaville, Outback Steakhouse, Pat O'Briens, and other restaurants. Also a shopping plaza is right acorss the street. It takes minutes on the bus to get to downtown where there are many shops, a mall, Walmart, restaurants, so many clubs and bars. I LOVE it there and for people looking to stay somewhere safe, clean and fun with beautiful beach views from your room at affordable prices-this truly is it! We will going back again in 2010! =D

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MissKissyFace
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Our room was an oceanfront suite on the 1st floor. The room itself felt luxurious with a "canopy" type bed and a roomy living area, very nice bathroom, refrigerator, TV, etc.
Sitting on our deck was my favorite thing to do, just relaxing with a good book or people-watching, with the boat hang-gliders and jet skis right there. The ocean was like a "mood ring," changing colors at different times of the day. (Plenty of sunscreen is a must.)
We didn't go on any excursions as we just needed relaxation time, but there were plenty of activities and games by the pool.
The FOOD WAS UNBELIEVABLE! Fresh fruits, fish, breakfast, lunch and dinner... We can't say enough about how delicious it was and how attentive the staff in the dining room were.
Right across the street, you have shopping for anything you might need, souveniers, etc. and nightlife at Margaritaville for music and dancing.
If you like a good cocktail, though, we learned toward the end of our trip to ask for a little "extra" shot of whatever added to our drinks.
The munchies by the pool were also very good. Burgers and dogs cooked on the grill, etc.
We would definitely stay here again. The entire experience was memorable and beautiful.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DarlaSue-Maine
Reviewed October 5, 2009

If you are watching your money and don't plan on spending a lot of time in your room then this hotel will work.

PRO's: Very clean, the maids actually scrub the tile floor everyday in your room. They work very hard and a few bucks everyday get's you extra special attention. Also the location is good ( kind of in the center of things.) Of course the price is good.

CON's the food wasn't very good, I would not recommend the food plan if it is an option. Breakfast was ok but lunch and supper were not. We ended up spending more money to get a decent meal. Also the waves were stronger in front of the Flamingo. Other hotels seem to have calmer waters. Beds seemed hard.

TIP's : We had a room with a sliding glass door right to the pool, We enjoyed that , most hotels you have to go through the hotel all wet.

I would probably stay at a different hotel next time if I had the extra money to splurge on a better hotel however it serves it's purpose if you are on a budget.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank daisy91
Reviewed September 24, 2009

Just got back from a long weekend at the Flamingo and loved every minute of it. The Flamingo is RIGHT on the beach and I had a wonderful view in my standard ocean view room. The two pools were fantastic, the staff was friendly, the rooms were clean, the food was great, and it was super cheap off of playaguy's hot deals. Will definitely be going again with a lady friend!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo