“Fun family vacation”

Ranked #75 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Ohio
“Fun family vacation”
Reviewed July 7, 2009

We stayed at the Flamingo from 6/26 - 7/2 and had a great time! We traveled with our kids - ages 15, 20 & 23. We had 3 Jr Suites (103, 104, 105) which worked out well since they share a patio. Gorgeous views right on the ocean! The rooms weren't perfect - each had it's issue. One's toilet didn't work well, our shower and air conditioner weren't great, and 2 of the rooms sliding glass doors were hard to manage, but we were overall pleased with the rooms. People have commented about how hard the beds were, but none of us found that to be a problem. The patio had lounge chairs - 4 of the chairs had pads for them which made them very comfortable! We were among the few Americans at the hotel - there were mostly Hispanic guests, but that didn't bother us. The staff was great - all very pleasant and personable. The food was hit or miss, but we always managed to find something good and never went hungry. It was interesting to try some of the dishes that were foreign to us. Yes, the hotel is smaller and doesn't offer some of the amenities of the larger hotels, but it was perfect for what we wanted.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank krv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Schuylkill Haven, PA
Reviewed June 30, 2009

This was our 11 th trip to the Flamingo, it was really great. the got rid of the buffet upstairs. the staff was great and the hotel was almost empty, so customer service was at it's best. We meet some great people and had a great time. The food was really good and the beach was great. One complaint the pool bar was being remodeled during our trip which meant we could not stay in the pool and get drunk. LOL

2 Thank millie516
Roberto C, Gerente at Flamingo Cancun Resort, responded to this review, August 30, 2014
Dear Millie516:

Thank you so much for your review at Flamingo Cancun Resort. Is very important to know about your experience.

Everything is set for you. Hope you visit again us very soon.
Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed June 26, 2009

There are too many hotels in Cancun (zona hotelera) to ever return to this one. Verrry low budget. Three stars? I think a re-evaluation might be in order.
Hard bed, horrible night's sleep, need a chiropractor now. Door locks are sketchy and sometimes do not lock. You must know Spanish. I know it's Mexico but come on it is the Cancun tourist hotel zone.
The food is so awful. A club sandwich for example was of the lowest quality...bacon was a piece of fat, the cheese looked like ...I don't know...ugh, the food came out cold, (I am reliving the menu nightmare). Just eat elsewhere, like across the street at a very convenient plaza that gave us normal food.
The water is so clear, but that is the same with all hotels in this area.

2 Thank Amelia8844

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

st louis area
Reviewed June 24, 2009

We just returned from our 3 night stay at the Flamingo Resort and had a very nice time. The hotel is very basic but we had a very beautiful view. We arrived in Cancun at 10am and got to our room way before check in but were given a room with no problem. Our first room did not have air conditioning and we were told to wait for it to be fixed. We went to the restaurant, walked the beach, etc and waited 2 hours and although the air was being worked on, we finally asked for a different room and were accomodated. This room also had a great ocean view, king bed, again, nice but basic. No safes in every room but safe deposit boxes are available in the lobby free of charge so use those. There are no refrigerators in every room either but we used a small cooler to cool bottled water and made out fine. The beach and pools are nice and the 2 restaurants have a different variety of entres each night. The food and drinks were fine, i am not sure what the complaing is about but I believe it is easy to find something each meal that is good. The staff is very friendly, the waiters in the restaurants are great, fun, and friendly. Tipping goes a long way, as the employees in Mexico make very little $$$$. Raymundo Rodriguez and Jose, the Lomas Travel representatives, are to be commended for their helpful accomodating attitudes. They remembered our names and asked us how things were going everytime we walked in or out of the lobby. We booked a snorkeling trip to Puerto Morales and it was wonderful. Raymundo gave us every tour option available and recommeded only good tours. He is a very hard worker, as in Jose so be sure to ask them for any need you have. Ray told us how to get around town on the bus system, where shops and restaurants were located, etc. Everything he advised was true and he was most helpful and friendly. Funjet and Lomas travel have true gems in these 2 employees. The staff at the Flamingo is great also. We did have a huge thunderstorm our last night and water came in our room from the sliding glass door and the floor was soaked from about 2am till morning so keep things off the floor. Since it was our last night, we did not complain to the hotel because all in all, we had a great trip. There were some plastic kayaks but no snorkeling equipment available so at this hotel, all inclusive seems to mean meals and drinks. It is a very quiet hotel in a great location so it is worth a try for the great value.

4 Thank faith09
baltimore , md
Reviewed June 23, 2009

This hotel is mediocre at best in a city of mediocrity. I first walked in the door at about 1:30 pm on June16, 2009. I love Acapulco and have been there about a dozen times but I was swayed by the cheaper price of Kan-Koon. I had misgivings to begin with as I have traveled to all parts of Mexico with the exception of the Mayan Riviera. I am a school teacher from Maryland and wanted a break as the long school year and 160 students per day had ended.

Before I could go to my room I was approached by "Guest Services." I do not know that I had any other choice than to speak to them. This guy from Cuba is trying to sell me a gold card for discounts in Cancun. He asks me first if I like Cancun. I advise that I do not know as I just got here. He continues to try and fast talk and hornswoggle me with this "magical" gold card.

We are speaking in Spanish as I am a Spanish teacher. He wants to know what trips I will take while I am there. I advise that any trips that I take will be with my rental car and alone. He tells me that he can get me a car for $50 a day with all insurance included by attending a "luncheon" and paying a deposit. I advise that I do not want to go to a lunch and if he thinks that I am going to pay a deposit he is crazy. It turns out is a 3-4 hour pitch on a time share.

Let me cut to the chase. I got a rental car for $38 a day which included all insurance. In short evertthing that "guest services" advised was bogus. This hotel puts pressure on you from the moment you walk in the door to spend more money. I felt ill at ease the whole time I was in Cancun. I had a professor in college for Latin American History and will never forget that he asked the class who has been to Mexico. He stated that one could not count Cancun as Mexico and I firmly agree. The whole place (hotel zone area) is a giant ripoff for English speaking fools who think that are experiencing Mexico. The sad thing is that the ownership of Flamingo Resorts permits this sort of badgering by their employees and I will never return to Cancun and absolutely not the Flamingo.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank rickywarner49
Ohio
Reviewed June 20, 2009

We were on the second to last night of our weeklong trip in Cancun when the hotel we were staying at caught on fire and we were shifted to The Flamingo. The lobby is very nice and the bar area. The staff was very nice and stepped up to the challenge of suddenly having 100+ new guests at midnight on a thursday. So even though it took two hours to get our room key they did the best they could with the night skeleton crew that they had. The room was quite a disappointment. I am not a hotel snob.. I have stayed in some pretty low class hotels and this is one of the worst I stayed in. The room was dirty which was interesting b/c we waited two hours to get the keys b/c the housekeeping staff was cleaning the rooms. There were two very small full size beds and the linens smelled very moldy. We had no tiny fridge, no microwave, no coffeemaker, hairdryer, etc...none of the things you expect a hotel to have. We didn't even have an alarm clock or a t.v. remote. The bathroom marble was very pretty, but the faucets had black looking material and rust around them. The water in our room actually ran brown for about 30-45 minutes when we first turned it on. Our second day , the water wasn't working at all and the toliet wouldn't flush. We could have handled the dirt and water if A.C. would have worked properly. It was 90+ degrees and we had no air. We mentioned this several times to the manager and nothing was done to fix it. They were only at about 25% capacity so we could have been moved to another room. The pool was nice, but it desperately needed to be retiled and there was rusty type looking stains along some of the edges. The bar area buy the pool would have cups and garbage still sitting in the same spot as the night before. The ice machine was a deep freezer with bags of ice in it and rust all over the top of it. The ocean was beautiful of course, but the beach is very small. The beach is a little more full of broken shells and the water is a little rougher, but it's a beach..it's what you expect. It is in a nice location, right across from Margaritaville and Bubba Gumps. I would not stay here again, even if I was given a free week!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank iluvekats
Dallas
Reviewed June 8, 2009

I just got back from Cancun last night. It was my fourth trip there. From reading the reviews, I was just hoping for something decent. I was surprised that my room was clean, the food and service good. Cancun was not very crowded at this time. I would recommend the all inclusive, otherwise most meals anywhere will cost $12 and up. The pool was nice, overlooking the beach.

I have traveled to other places in the world. I would say to expect what you pay for. This hotel was better than when I stayed at the Hyatt Regency. It is above average. I saw some unhappy folks there. But this is why and an example. The drinks, like anywhere all inclusive, is limited to certain brands, probably the cheaper stuff. They charge extra for top shelf drinks and wine. Like many good Americans, we like to pay for junk and expect all the extras.

I would go back again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
5 Thank NOLA8217
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#51 of 175 in Cancun
Oasis Palm
Oasis Palm
#77 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Flamingo Cancun Resort? Share your experiences!