“Good value hotel, friendly staff, good service, fun experience”

Flamingo Cancun Resort
Ranked #75 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
st louis area
“Good value hotel, friendly staff, good service, fun experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2009

We just returned from our 3 night stay at the Flamingo Resort and had a very nice time. The hotel is very basic but we had a very beautiful view. We arrived in Cancun at 10am and got to our room way before check in but were given a room with no problem. Our first room did not have air conditioning and we were told to wait for it to be fixed. We went to the restaurant, walked the beach, etc and waited 2 hours and although the air was being worked on, we finally asked for a different room and were accomodated. This room also had a great ocean view, king bed, again, nice but basic. No safes in every room but safe deposit boxes are available in the lobby free of charge so use those. There are no refrigerators in every room either but we used a small cooler to cool bottled water and made out fine. The beach and pools are nice and the 2 restaurants have a different variety of entres each night. The food and drinks were fine, i am not sure what the complaing is about but I believe it is easy to find something each meal that is good. The staff is very friendly, the waiters in the restaurants are great, fun, and friendly. Tipping goes a long way, as the employees in Mexico make very little $$$$. Raymundo Rodriguez and Jose, the Lomas Travel representatives, are to be commended for their helpful accomodating attitudes. They remembered our names and asked us how things were going everytime we walked in or out of the lobby. We booked a snorkeling trip to Puerto Morales and it was wonderful. Raymundo gave us every tour option available and recommeded only good tours. He is a very hard worker, as in Jose so be sure to ask them for any need you have. Ray told us how to get around town on the bus system, where shops and restaurants were located, etc. Everything he advised was true and he was most helpful and friendly. Funjet and Lomas travel have true gems in these 2 employees. The staff at the Flamingo is great also. We did have a huge thunderstorm our last night and water came in our room from the sliding glass door and the floor was soaked from about 2am till morning so keep things off the floor. Since it was our last night, we did not complain to the hotel because all in all, we had a great trip. There were some plastic kayaks but no snorkeling equipment available so at this hotel, all inclusive seems to mean meals and drinks. It is a very quiet hotel in a great location so it is worth a try for the great value.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank faith09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
baltimore , md
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2009

This hotel is mediocre at best in a city of mediocrity. I first walked in the door at about 1:30 pm on June16, 2009. I love Acapulco and have been there about a dozen times but I was swayed by the cheaper price of Kan-Koon. I had misgivings to begin with as I have traveled to all parts of Mexico with the exception of the Mayan Riviera. I am a school teacher from Maryland and wanted a break as the long school year and 160 students per day had ended.

Before I could go to my room I was approached by "Guest Services." I do not know that I had any other choice than to speak to them. This guy from Cuba is trying to sell me a gold card for discounts in Cancun. He asks me first if I like Cancun. I advise that I do not know as I just got here. He continues to try and fast talk and hornswoggle me with this "magical" gold card.

We are speaking in Spanish as I am a Spanish teacher. He wants to know what trips I will take while I am there. I advise that any trips that I take will be with my rental car and alone. He tells me that he can get me a car for $50 a day with all insurance included by attending a "luncheon" and paying a deposit. I advise that I do not want to go to a lunch and if he thinks that I am going to pay a deposit he is crazy. It turns out is a 3-4 hour pitch on a time share.

Let me cut to the chase. I got a rental car for $38 a day which included all insurance. In short evertthing that "guest services" advised was bogus. This hotel puts pressure on you from the moment you walk in the door to spend more money. I felt ill at ease the whole time I was in Cancun. I had a professor in college for Latin American History and will never forget that he asked the class who has been to Mexico. He stated that one could not count Cancun as Mexico and I firmly agree. The whole place (hotel zone area) is a giant ripoff for English speaking fools who think that are experiencing Mexico. The sad thing is that the ownership of Flamingo Resorts permits this sort of badgering by their employees and I will never return to Cancun and absolutely not the Flamingo.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank rickywarner49

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2009

We were on the second to last night of our weeklong trip in Cancun when the hotel we were staying at caught on fire and we were shifted to The Flamingo. The lobby is very nice and the bar area. The staff was very nice and stepped up to the challenge of suddenly having 100+ new guests at midnight on a thursday. So even though it took two hours to get our room key they did the best they could with the night skeleton crew that they had. The room was quite a disappointment. I am not a hotel snob.. I have stayed in some pretty low class hotels and this is one of the worst I stayed in. The room was dirty which was interesting b/c we waited two hours to get the keys b/c the housekeeping staff was cleaning the rooms. There were two very small full size beds and the linens smelled very moldy. We had no tiny fridge, no microwave, no coffeemaker, hairdryer, etc...none of the things you expect a hotel to have. We didn't even have an alarm clock or a t.v. remote. The bathroom marble was very pretty, but the faucets had black looking material and rust around them. The water in our room actually ran brown for about 30-45 minutes when we first turned it on. Our second day , the water wasn't working at all and the toliet wouldn't flush. We could have handled the dirt and water if A.C. would have worked properly. It was 90+ degrees and we had no air. We mentioned this several times to the manager and nothing was done to fix it. They were only at about 25% capacity so we could have been moved to another room. The pool was nice, but it desperately needed to be retiled and there was rusty type looking stains along some of the edges. The bar area buy the pool would have cups and garbage still sitting in the same spot as the night before. The ice machine was a deep freezer with bags of ice in it and rust all over the top of it. The ocean was beautiful of course, but the beach is very small. The beach is a little more full of broken shells and the water is a little rougher, but it's a beach..it's what you expect. It is in a nice location, right across from Margaritaville and Bubba Gumps. I would not stay here again, even if I was given a free week!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank iluvekats
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2009

I just got back from Cancun last night. It was my fourth trip there. From reading the reviews, I was just hoping for something decent. I was surprised that my room was clean, the food and service good. Cancun was not very crowded at this time. I would recommend the all inclusive, otherwise most meals anywhere will cost $12 and up. The pool was nice, overlooking the beach.

I have traveled to other places in the world. I would say to expect what you pay for. This hotel was better than when I stayed at the Hyatt Regency. It is above average. I saw some unhappy folks there. But this is why and an example. The drinks, like anywhere all inclusive, is limited to certain brands, probably the cheaper stuff. They charge extra for top shelf drinks and wine. Like many good Americans, we like to pay for junk and expect all the extras.

I would go back again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
5 Thank NOLA8217
Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2009

I went with my family May 17th-22nd. We were a little hesistant reading the bad reviews and all, but this hotel is very nice. Its NOT A 5 STAR!! But its very very clean. Everyday the hotel staff cleaned everything top to bottom, Ive never seen people clean so much in my life. The beds are super hard but we didnt spend much time in our rooms. The food isn't the best but again we expected that. All the staff spoke pretty clear English and were always very nice. The beach is small, but still very nice. We walked down to the other resorts beaches and found out the Flamingos beach was one of the best. Sun screen doesn't work down there. All in all for our first time to Cancun we were very pleased and everything went well.

• Stayed May 2009
3 Thank Mandaav
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2009

I've been everywhere in the world and in Cancun at least three times prior to this trip, and I can safely say that this was by far one of the worst experiences I've ever had.

The hotel itself is nothing to speak of--plain, with no frills what so ever. Basically no beach access at all, just a tiny strip of land.
The food was disgusting. We never stayed in 5-6 star hotels, so this was supposed to have been comparable to other 3-4 star hotels, but it wasnt. Only breakfast was bearable. Lunch was only a la cart, and took so long to arrive, that we lost patience and left. At the other restaurant on the premises, we were treated like dirt. Although it was not busy by any means, the waiter refused to come to our table. We sat for twenty minutes waiting, and he was perfectly aware that we were there, yet he chatted with other waiters/busboys and ignored us. Again, we got up and left.
Considering that we paid for "all-inclusive" deal, we ended up eating every night in the city, in restaurants, which cost us a pretty penny.
Drinks-wise, there is only cheap local stuff, which they dilute with huge amounts of syrup and mixes. No one ever came to us with drink orders. We had to go and get everything ourselves.
Our room was huge, but with a laughable 80's decor, which suited us fine. We are not picky. However, not once in 4 days, was the room cleaned before 4pm.
The staff barely spoke English, and we tried to speak Spanish, they pretended like they didnt understand us. In general, all English-speaking guests were treated remarkably poorly. There was a marked difference between the attitude towards the "Anglos" and the Spanish-speaking guests.
The service was poor all over. The front desk person refused to call us a taxi, saying that we should go to our room and make the call ourselves.
There was no one pleasant, friendly or helpful. They basically snarled or ignored us.
There is no entertainment to speak of. Some kind of duo played in the lobby one night.

It was so bad, it was almost laughable. Problem was, we paid for this.

Please disregard "the deals", spend an extra 25 bucks a day and stay at a decent place.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank Nikkagin
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2009

For the price this hotel is awesome. I had received a standard room with a water view and it suited me quite nicely. The bed was not the most comfortable as I found it to be like sleeping on cement. The bathroom was immaculate and looked as if it was just recently updated. I appreciated the location since it was pretty much in the middle of the drive and this staff works hard at keeping the hotel spotless.

I was disappointed that when asked if I could use a safe deposit box for my passport I was told I would have to pay $125.00 american $ to hold it.

There are 2 pools and the hotel surrounds the main one which is big enough for volleyball,basketball and even has a swim up bar. Fun atmosphere! I didn't do the all inclusive and I think it was a good choice since the food was so-so.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends