“Budget hotel - you get what you pay for”

Flamingo Cancun Resort
Ranked #74 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

My friends and I stayed here last Summer. On arrival we were asked whether we wanted to upgrade to a room with an ocean view. Though we declined as it was quite expensive, we were upgraded for free anyway.

The room itself wasn't particularly fancy but it was clean. I would definitely recommend having an ocean view otherwise you'll have the view of the main road and the restaurants opposite.

We were a group of young girls and I found that there were a lot of Mexican families and older couples staying at the hotel who weren't particularly friendly and spent most of their holiday staring at us.

The hotel itself never seemed particularly busy so there was a rush to save sun beds with towels early in the morning. I preferred the pool next to the beach rather than the one near reception as it tended to be quieter.

The food at the hotel was horrible!!! Some days I wasn't even able to recognise what it was. We weren't told this by the staff but there was an a la carte restaurant next the beach which you could eat in every night instead of the buffet. Though the food there still wasn't great, it was better than the buffet.

We had friends staying at the hotel down the road and when they called the hotel and asked for us, the hotel said that there were no English people staying at the hotel and when they came to see us they were told they couldn't come in and the hotel didn't pass on any of their messages to us.

The hotel is a short bus/taxi ride away from the clubs and restaurants. The bus stop is right outside the hotel which made travelling easy. Taxis were quite expensive but the bus was really cheap and came frequently.

Overall, the hotel wasn't great but it was cheap and clean and I still had an amazing holiday.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Carmen K
Roberto C, Gerente at Flamingo Cancun Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2014

Dear Carmen K:

Wowooww¡¡¡ It is a relly nice review. For Flamingo Cancun Resort.

Our perfect location, service and accomodations gives you all added value

Hope you share with all your relatives and friends your experience

Look forward to have you back again soon

Best regards

Reviewed July 16, 2014

For 104$ per night and all-inclusive the stay was ok. The food is ok, but not if you you stay there more than 3-4 nights. It is always the same food. The rooms are a little bit run down, but clean. The pool should be cleaned more often. The all-inclusive does not include premium alcohol.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Vtm R

Estimated Vtm R:

Thank you so much for your visit in Flamingo Cancun Resort.

We are doing a lot of changes in service, accomodations and facilities.

Look forward to have you back again soon

Best regards

Reviewed July 10, 2014

My bf and I stayed at the Flamingo for 8 days. It was the worst hotel I've ever been to.
The only good thing about it was the beach. The white sand and clear aqua blue ocean is beautiful and nice.

We had a standard room and I requested it to be on the 3rd or 4th floor, which we were granted. I was really happy I asked for that because we discovered that the first floor is actually not on ground level, it is in the basement. The room we got was not the rooms which were shown in pictures on the hotel website. The floors were always damp and slimy feeling, the ceiling in the bathroom dripped, and the bottom of the toilet would always leak leaving a nasty little puddle of water around the toilet. However, the shower is nice and has great water pressure.

The bed is uncomfortable and the sheets were never changed once out of our whole 8 days. House keeping came twice out of our whole 8 days as well.

We tried to hook up to the wifi multiple times, which was advertised as "free wifi" throughout the hotel on their website and other booking websites. It took us to a page where you had to enter your credit card number and name and pay for the wifi. We asked front desk about the free wifi and they told us you have to pay 7$ a night for wifi, and that there is not even free wifi in the lobby.

The food at the buffet was fair, they used recycled food from the previous nights/days often, with little different variety of options to choose from from day to day.

The absolute worst part about the hotel is definitely the staff. There were maybe 3 staff members that were really nice and worked hard. I wish we remembered their names so I could praise them to their manager. All of the other staff was so rude, we could not even believe it. We got dirty looks multiple times from a couple of the workers at the bar. The swim up bar had constant orders, and had two workers that worked the majority of the time. The male worker was ALWAYS working and trying to go fast and taking and making literally ALL of the orders. There was a female worker who every time we went there was standing there in the corner looking up at the sky, she wouldn't even make eye contact with us. She was seriously standing there ignoring everyone while her coworker busted his butt picking up all of her slack. She gave me a dirty look when I brought our dirty cups from our table and the beach back to the bar. I guess I should have left them on the beach so her coworker could go search for them and bring them back himself. Another day the same thing happened, this time she was fanning her face with her fan. I went up to her and asked her for a cup of water. She gave me a dirty look and just stood there for a moment, so I repeated myself, and then she repeated it back to me, and I said "yes, a cup of water please" to which i was surprised she actually gave me a cup of water, of course she wasn't happy that she had to move a foot to the water machine though.

Another disappointment would be the alcoholic drinks. The bar tender in the lobby is really friendly and funny, but the quality of alcohol used is very poor. I asked if they could use the Smirnoff and I was told it is only for show. He gave me a shot of their vodka they use and it tasted watered down and was just downright disgusting. They only serve their drinks out of small plastic cups, and don't have straws. I only had 3 drinks the whole time I was there.

Also, our room did not have a mini fridge, so they did not give us any water bottles. I'm not sure if other rooms got them. We had to buy big bottles of water at the hotel store to bring to our room if we wanted a drink because the bars close at 11 and we shouldn't drink the tap water. I was awestruck that we had to pay for our water when we paid for all inclusive.

Another thing that is totally unprofessional and sketchy is that they do not have a valid phone number anywhere to be found. We accidentally left our underwater camera we bought in the hotel room when checking out yesterday. We don't expect that they would have kept it for us, but we wanted to call to take our chances anyways. All of the numbers listed on their website either do not work, or say that they have been changed. The machine says for a charge of 2$ we could be redirected to the new number, which did not work either. We have searched for over an hour online and can not find a number or any contact information anywhere.

We picked this hotel because it was the cheapest, and you definitely get what you pay for. I would definitely pay 500$ more for a nicer hotel/staff and food. I wish we listened to other reviews.

Room Tip: Get a room at a different hotel. If you must stay at the Flamingo, ask for a room on the 3rd or 4th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Samantha R

Dear Samantha R:

Thank you so much for your review. In Flamingo Cancun Resort we have different options for everyone.

In 6th floor we have wi-fi and fridge, service, allocation and accomodations are our best.

Hope you reconsider coming back to see all improvements we´ve done

Look forward to see you again

Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just graduated from college when we stayed at Flamingo. The resort is in the middle of everything on the strip and easily accessible to anything we wanted to do. It was a fair price on our budget and we had no complaints.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank shaylanchrismac
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Overall the hotel is decent, the staff was courteous. The young lady in the Kids Club was amazing with children, and the bartenders poolside were very attentive. I always saw people cleaning, but on the other hand my room was filthy under the bed, and there was a hair on a supposedly clean bed when we went to go lay down on the first night. The food poolside was always the same but the ladies providing the service were great. The restaurant buffet was decent, nothing to go crazy about. I also depend on Wifi to be able to take a vacation and work at night, but there was not one day in all the days I stayed there where I could reliably access the internet. It was insanely frustrating, and when they connected me to tech support they said they didn't support that hotel! When I asked to talk to the manager he said it was my computer and not their networks - very, very frustrating! The little details are what make the difference, and for this reason it is not great, just OK. I would not come back here, I rather take my chances at another hotel in Cancun.

Room Tip: The 6th floor which is the luxury floor is NOT luxurious, don't spend any extra on it, it is not...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank desireewilcox
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

This is a 3star resort, our 2nd time here. Been to cancun several times. After experiencing other hotels, I remembered quick why this one was cheaper. It's good for a cheap get away, but we won't be returning. The beach is beautiful, great location for that! No bar or beach service though. :( I knew that going back, but really missed it after the first day. The food lacks variety.. I like more choices. We also were hounded daily to listen to their timeshare or VIP room meeting sales pitch.. I gave in on day 3.. Worse 90 minutes ever! They start out friendly, and turn aggressive quickly. No way was I giving in, I'm a cancun lover & know the great prices I get on my own. Will not return, two stays was def enough.

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank Sun&FunLynn
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Overall, I thought the Flamingo was very good and well worth what we paid. The people are very nice and the rooms were very comfortable and clean. The only thing I would say is the AC was not good. (At least for me) But, I am used to a very cold climate. I noticed that the top floor rooms had good AC. So, if you stay in the more expensive rooms, that wouldn't be a problem. The first thing we did was to go to a local store and purchases a large fan. The food was very good, and the waiters were polite and accommodating. We really enjoyed our stay. But, next time we will book during the winter months. :)

Room Tip: Top floors have good AC.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Lane A