“Pleasant surprise at the Flamingo”

Flamingo Cancun Resort
Ranked #71 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Excellent property for the price. We travel 2 weeks a month during the winter and usually stay in 41/2 to 5 star properties.
This was a great surprise. They have all amenities but on a smaller scale. You could always find enought to eat.
The staff is second to none!
The location is great. pretty much 1/2 way on the beach. You could walk for miles either way right on the beach. Beautiful tourquoise water. Their beach was great in front of their property.
We would definitely return again.
Can't complain for the money spent.

Room Tip: Go with a good attitude and remember you are at a 3 1/2 star.
1  Thank Cindybou
Write a ReviewReviews (3,030)

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We paid an extra $25/night for an ocean view - do it! I requested a king or queen bed and the 1st room had a full bed - not going to work for two people. 2nd room - had a king but the mattress was thin and it sat on a board which was very uncomfortable to sleep on.

Our block of rooms (5 rooms high and 4 across) lost power for 4-6 hours on two consecutive days and the smell of sewage started to seep into our bathroom during that time. They had 8-10 'electricians' working on the 1st floor transformer with cords everywhere! When the power did come back on, every time I turned on a power switch I received an electric shock (no kidding). The view of the ocean is AMAZING and you get a balcony! The place needs a good once over with a power washer or a coat of paint so don't expect the Ritz Carlton!

The beach is AWESOME - you've got to get your spot to lay out early (by 7 am) or else you sit by the crowded pool. Easy walking distance to malls and hotels and you feel completely safe doing so - even at night (that was a concern of ours).

We did all inclusive - again, you get what you ask for. We would eat at the nicer restaurant - highly recommend fish dish (dinner), fish ceviche and shrimp cocktail. Others that ate 'steak' and 'ravioli' were disappointed - what would you expect in Mexico? Great mixed drinks.

Overall, I actually liked this place - it's a good place to go and just be alone without kids (not really anything for kids to do here and there were only a few there). I do think the hotel should've accomodated us for the electricity issue or at least apologize! Again - you get what you pay for and I'd have to say I liked it overall.

Room Tip: You've GOT to request an ocean view, otherwise you get the 'lagoon' view which really ov...
1  Thank Chicago723
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I booked this first time to Cancun all-inclusive deal with flights, through Bookit.com....GREAT price. Which in my head allows to spend on activities to make it an even better experience. Kinda of an impulsive purchase though. A few days before heading there, I must've attempted to contact the hotel approximately 20-30 times at their toll free number. Tried at all hours of the days & nights. Not once was that phone answered. I had also sent several messages through their website. No response from that either. Now I'm becoming a lil skeptical and nervous. I took it another step further and found them on facebook and messaged them on there. I got a reply and they gave me an email address, which of course I emailed right away. No response. Now it's the day before due to leave and I contacted Bookit.com and they offered to call them for me; well they must have a magic number to this place as we did a 3-way call and I was able to finally speak to someone at the hotel to confirm our reservation before we left the country. Our request for a high floor for the ocean view room booked was granted, which was great without any obstruction to the fabulous view they have. However as soon as we entered the room with the bell boy, a good size puddle of water on the other side of the door to inside the bathroom from the AC unit (slip & bust your butt on day one of vacation risk = no bueno). He said he would alert the front desk for us. I threw towels on it. Several hours later, they hadn't come to take care of it, so I went to the front desk and told them again. They must've sent someone over while we were out to dinner & they dried the puddle but the leaking continued, creating yet another puddle quickly. More towels laid out. Next morning I used their note pad & wrote in Spanish about this lil issue in addition to both light bulbs to both bedside lamps that were burn out. By the time we returned from our day out, puddle was gone, leak no mas, both light bulbs replaced plus found new rugs by our bed & bottles of water in our room that were not there before (which we didn't touch, not clear if they were complimentary making it up to us, or how many pesos that was going to cost us). Other than the small rip exposing the filling of the comforter (which I had no problem overlooking) no more room issues what so ever. Clean, spacious, comfortable, & now with everything in working order. Pools & patios were well maintained, security visibly around beach area day & night, beach is amazing, lifeguards are on duty, but beach chairs are all quickly taken too early in the morning. Albatros' dinner: need reservations, we had a late one, which meant the salad I ordered, they didn't really forget about it as I thought & had to ask about, they had ran out of salad & my daughter's plate was very different from what she ordered. We don't like to fuss, so whatever. Good fire dessert drink show made for me by our waiter though. Breakfast buffet there was very good though, with great outdoor seating. La Fuente restaurant buffet food variety is limited & decent tasting. Desserts in general were surprisingly not taking care of the sweet tooth; they all tasted very similarly out of a mass production refrigerator :/ Las Palmas snack & pool bar although small and packed tight for lunch had great burgers/hot dogs/chicken nuggets/french fries, etc. The wines & rum punches were pretty good. I asked for our free dinner coupon to Senor Frogs (part or our package) the night before we planned on using it. Front desk told us they would give it to us on the day when we would use it...Next afternoon, I was told me they didn't have any....with a blank stare, no explanation, no "I'm sorry". Really?! Sigh. Staff out & about was generally friendly and most made eye contact and saluted. I did fill out a "Comments Card". Ironically I received an email thanking me for taking the time and how they would like to serve me in the future.....Now they contact me?!?!? Smh Overall, price was the best for that area in Cancun and did allow us to do a ton of fun stuff. I see it as minor inconveniences which luckily did not ruin our experience. But you get what you pay for of course. If you're picky about quality, service, & responsiveness, or are along the "have to have the best" lines, and have a hard time overlooking things, then you want to go somewhere else. I'm more of make the best of things where you are with what you have....and we were in Cancun.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank rstmarine
Reviewed February 24, 2013

It is amazing to read the reviews of individuals who stayed at this hotel about the same time we did, because some people's experience was the exact opposite ours! For the price we paid, we were very, very impressed! The free upgrade to an ocean view room was certainly a bonus, but even without that we would have been very happy at this hotel.
I have stayed at the very large, lush resorts in the past; this one is small in comparison. However, there are advantages to the size. For example: if you forget something in your room, it does not take a half hour to go and retrieve it! Furthermore, when you meet people at this hotel, you DO ACTUALLY see them the next day....you get to know them quite well at this quaint little site!
We have ZERO complaints about the food! Yes, it wasn't prepared by Chef Ramsey, but I did not expect that either (lol)!!!! I recommend trying a small portion of each thing they have on the buffet and then decide....rather than basing your likes and dislikes on the presentation. We enjoyed some amazing dishes every day! It was not unusual for us to go for seconds of certain dishes! And breakfast.....fresh omelets, cooked to order.....what a great way to start the day! And if calamari is your favorite, I recommend the beach restaurant every day at lunch!!!!
The staff are amazing....very nice, very courteous! Each and everyone of them had a smile on their face every day, and brought smiles and laughter to our days! The bartenders at the pool bar and the lobby bar were very efficient and hilarious at the same time! We treated them with courtesy and respect, and received the same back 10-fold!!!!
Every area of this hotel was very clean when we stayed. The maids did a wonderful job cleaning our room every day. There have been some negative comments about the rooms, and I guess if you plan to STAY IN the hotel room for your holiday, you may be disappointed because they are very plain and basic!! But we were only in there to get some sleep so we could spend the daylight hours on the beach and in the ocean.
The location is perfect. Within walking distance to an amazing mall, and to the top of the hotel zone where there is more shopping, and where Coco Bongo's and many other attractions are located. The beach is truly amazing.....can walk for hours in your bare feet all along the hotel zone. The vendors on the beach only approach you if you indicate you are interested in seeing their products.
One reviewer of this hotel suggested it was "a poor man's hotel". I totally disagree! And I am sure that the other people we met while we were there who were obviously "not poor by any means" would agree with me as well. I never heard them complain once and in fact they enjoyed this hotel as much as we did. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who goes on vacation for the sun, sand and beautiful water.....to relax....to make memories by enjoying the location! All your needs will be met at this hotel! If, however, you expect to be pampered, and dine like a king, you may want to look elsewhere!
(If I could make one suggestion to management, it would be to move the lobby bar into the sitting area at the entrance to the hotel. Due to the low ceiling in the lobby bar, it did get very noisy when it was busy in there.)

2  Thank dgb636363
Reviewed February 20, 2013

So as the story goes...overbooked! The taxi driver said they are famous for moving people and overbooking and calling it flight cancellations :( We too were also were moved to another hotel. We stayed at the Avalon Grand.(nice and quiet) We were offered the Flamingo's all-inclusive upgrade if we changed hotels. We took it since it was close and could walk back to eat and drink whenever we wanted. I must say service was good in the resturants but the food was horrible. Many of the items were not even edible. It was not even worth eating for free!! Shame on the management, Unhappy customer who will not be back! Next time we will go staight to the Avalon instead.

2  Thank mtorres3155
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My wife and I chose this hotel because of the great price. The room itself was quite plain but clean and the meals were nothing out of the ordinary; however we cannot say enough about the friendly service provided by the staff. This is the reason that so many people have been returning to this hotel for years. Without exception, all the waiters, the people at the desk, the cleaners, the porters, the security people were charming and very courteous. We were particularly impressed by the captain of the dining room, Benjamin; we've never encountered anyone who worked so hard to make people feel at home. If we were to return to Cancun, we would try to book a room at this hotel.

1  Thank doug_dalgetty
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We met with Lupita back in late 2011 to book our wedding for early in 2013. With her efforts our tentative date became a reality. It was unfortunate she had to leave the resort, but Carolina introduced herself and started up where Lupita left off.
Carolina kept in constant contact with us and walked and emailed us through every stage in the wedding planning.
When it came to us arriving in Cancun in late December, she made all the time necessary to meet with us and show us everything from the flowers, cake and through to the dinner menu for our after wedding reception.
The videographer and photographer were lots of fun to work with, her choice of a clergyman to person our wedding was great too. All and I mean all the staff from the security , door men, bell men, front desk, management, hospitality, bar, dining, chefs, waiters, restaurant attendants etc. all made us feel special.
The resort may only be a three star, but the staff makes it a five star, most of the staff never cease to impress us.
Thanks again ever so much to Carolina and all the supporting staff for making our destination wedding almost perfect.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple