“OK hotel but Palace membership scheme is a rip-off”

Le Blanc Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Birmingham
“OK hotel but Palace membership scheme is a rip-off”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

I'm late submitting this review because I thought I would give Palace Resorts the opportunity to sort out my complaint regarding the so-called "preferential" rates offered to members. While we were at Le Blanc in December we found out that other visitors from London had travelled with Virgin Holidays for less than our members' rate. A quick internet search showed that UK travel operators were consistently cheaper across all Palace Resorts and at whatever time of the year. I put in a complaint while at the resort - Uriah Heap couldn't have been more unctuous, but of course they were powerless on site to do anything about it, they had no knowledge of tour operators offering lower rates, couldn't do anything except pass it on to their managment, yadda yadda. Now here we are 4 months later!! and still nothing has been done despite regular emails to chase them up.

In a nutshell, UK visitors DO NOT sign up to the membership scheme as you can get better deals without forking out vast sums to these shysters in exchange for "preferential rates" that are more expensive than any travel agent.

Regarding the resort itself, standards had definitely slipped since we first visited Le Blanc three years previously: chipped crockery, no wi-fi access in our room on the 7th floor (in this standard of hotel, in this century....really?), poor entertainment, weird piped "whale" music everywhere, and the French restaurant was a joke: they try to be "classy" but the hostess on the door was dressed like a street-walker, you could only choose silly tasting menus instead of proper a la carte, and the standard of the food was really bad - we could have drunk the souffle, it was so liquid, the steak was overcooked, and the dessert was just a tarted up choc ice! It's a shame because the waiters seem so proud of it, but you'd get better food in any little neighbourhood restaurant in France.

On the plus side, most of the staff were extremely pleasant, as usual, and the pastry chef who produces the desserts at lunchtime is a genius.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Stella_P
Andreas S, Director General at Le Blanc Spa Resort, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
First and foremost allow me to thank you for bringing to my attention your concern. I truly regret to read that you have not received any response from our Palace Elite department, please know that as our guest your concerns are our number one priority. I was in contact with Palace Elite manager to investigate your case; they will be contacting you as soon as possible with the proper response to your inquiry.

Regarding the inconveniences faced during your stay at Le Blanc Spa Resort due to the poor Wi-Fi access and the less than expected experience lived at our French restaurant Lumiere, I assure you that your comments will be taking in consideration to improve and provide all our guest the best quality service fulfilling their preferences and needs. It is good to read that you were able to enjoy our lunchtime desserts and were pleased with our staff attentive service. We all look forward to welcome you back and present you our improvements do to your valuable feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,599)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed here twice in 2012. The resort is beautiful, the service outstanding , the food was fabulous. The spa credits were the best. This place is pure relaxation, the customer service was very food, they knew what we needed before we even asked for it! If you are looking for a party atop this is not it, great place for R and R...will surely be back. The only downside was the water was rough...the pools are gorgeous though!

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aloha09
Andreas S, Director General at Le Blanc Spa Resort, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
It is our pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am really glad that our staff’s quality service and attitude made your stay an exceptional experience; we love to receive loyal guests like you. It is great to read that you took advantage of your resort credits at the relaxing ambiance of our spa. We all look forward to pamper you once again on your next visit.
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

We just returned from a glorious week at Le Blanc. When you get through the chaos that is the Cancun airport (and I do mean chaos), and arrive at this beautiful resort, it is as though your stress begins to melt away the minute you enter its doors. There is a very peaceful, almost Zen like quality to the reception area, and as you wait to check in, you are comfortably seated on couches, sipping refreshing drinks.
We started our week in a lagoon view room, which was absolutely beautiful. Our butlers, Israel and Jesus, made sure that we felt comfortable the instant we arrived, and really were there to fulfill every need. These two men could not have been more accommodating and gracious, and we appreciated their assistance and friendliness. We eventually moved to an ocean view suite, which was just breathtaking.
The pool areas are all wonderful, although we did stay for the most part at the main pool. From the moment of our arrival, and every day following, Laura ensured that we had the seats we preferred, that our water was ready on ice, and that we had what we required to start the day. The extra touches at the pool, such as cool cloths, snacks of fruit and other goodies during the day, umbrellas, are all excellent .Particular mention to Laura and to Sara, our server, who was always attentive. Raul and Michel at the bar are always most friendly and ready to provide guests with whatever they wish.
The restaurants at Le Blanc are all first rate, and the service excellent. We appreciated the attention of the restaurant managers, who are all present and most willing to determine whether all was good. Room service was always outstanding, and was delivered in a very timely manner. On our departure, we requested boxed lunches to take to the airport, and we highly recommend doing this.
We took advantage of several services in the spa and in the salon, and in both cases, we found the facilities and the staff to be wonderful. They go above and beyond in their efforts to make sure that all are relaxed and enjoying whatever service they have booked.
Every aspect of this fine resort is outstanding, and if relaxation and pampering are what you are after, this is most definitely an excellent choice.

2 Thank Beth G
Thank you very much for such valuable review. It is truly rewarding to know that your stay was wonderful due to the excellent service provided at our spa facilities, the personalize service of our pool staff, the outstandig service delivered at your room, the quality of food and the relaxing ambiance encountered through the resort. We are really grateful to receive every review shared, which helps us identify what our guest enjoy the most and ensure that every stay is full of relaxing and memorable moment. It will be my pleasure to congratulate Israel, Jesus, Laura, Sara, Raul and Michel for the attentive service provided. We will be more than happy to welcome you back to Le Blanc Spa Resort and provide you another unique experience.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed at Le Blanc from March 28th to April 4th. From the moment we were picked up at the airport we knew that we were in for a very special holiday. We had a ride to the hotel in a very roomy Suburban which was great as we were travelling with friends and were able to all drive together while our luggage went along in the van behind us. We were offered cold beer and water or pop for our approximately 25 minute drive from the airport to the hotel. While on the way the driver had us order from a pillow menu, an aromatherapy menu and also pre-ordered our wish for a welcome drink upon arrival. We were warmly greeted by Gerardo who we would like to compliment on arranging for our room request to a junior suite oceanview. He was always happy to assist and made us feel very welcome to the hotel. He deserves special recognition!

From the food to the beach to the poolside service we could not have been happier. Mornings were spent on the beach followed by lagoon pool for the late afternoon to enjoy cocktails served with a smile by Jacinda. We spent our last day at the pool on the 3rd level and it is a great spot as it is quiet and the pool there was a little more refreshing than the other two pools which we found quite warm during our stay.

All of the staff that we met there were truly amazing! Special mention goes to Gerardo, front desk manager who started our vacation off on a great note, David from the International restaurant who arranged for us to have a takeaway meal when we left bright and early the morning of our departure, Ana from the main pool who was always friendly and efficient and last but certainly not least Omar, from beach/pool service. He helped us get set up at the beach and pool and always went out of his way to say hello and offer a big smile. Our butlers Luis and Alex were also great with information and always ready with the elevator when we walked down the hall. All wonderful people that most certainly make their mark as a great addition to this resort.

We enjoyed all of the restaurants. The vibe of the resort is definitely relaxation as there is no loud music and very little in the way of planned activity. It is the perfect spot to go if you would just like to relax.

Definitely would recommend upgrading to a Junior Suite Oceanview although the friends we travelled with were in a Junior Suite Lagoon View and their room was beautiful as well. On the lagoon side the Junior Suites have an actual balcony that you can sit out on plus a Juliette balcony while the Oceanview ones have 2 Juliette Balconies.

We loved it so much that we are planning to go back for our anniversary next year in April!

Room Tip: We upgraded to a Junior Suite oceanview and could not have been happier with our views of the beach...
4 Thank Ingrid1717
It is our pleasure to know that Le Blanc Spa Resort exceeded your expectations and every detail and every whim was taken into account. Allow me to let you know that Gerardo, Lucinda, David, Ana, Omar, Luis and Alex will all be congratulated for the quality service delivered during your stay with us. We are glad to know how much you enjoyed your stay due to the quality of the food and relaxing ambiance provided.
Our commitment is to make every guests experience as exceptional and unique as it can be. Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special your overall vacation was. We are looking forward to welcome you back and be host of your upcoming anniversary celebration creating another experience to remember.
Westerville, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week at Le Blanc 4/8-4/12. My ONLY regret is that we didn't book for a full week (or longer), not just because I wanted to bawl my eyes out when we left, but also because we could have gotten double the resort credits ;) We had 750 which we used on the spa (I got a deluxe pedicure and an oxygen facial) and the "spa facilities" are free to use anytime (sauna, steam room, etc). Also did the romantic dinner on the beach - well worth the experience, but now that we did that I think we would use those credits toward excursions next time. The private butlers on our floor were amazing - can't remember the one guy's name, but Enrique was so wonderful! My husband got an awful sunburn a few days in and Enrique drew him a bath with euculaptus/mint bath salts to soothe. He was also given a special mixture to put on from the spa that they don't even sell! I regret that I did not use the gym/classes offered more - we did try aqua spinning the one day (Samantha taught, she was great) but it didn't seem that anyone was interested in that or the pool volleyball. We just stayed in a standard room and didn't feel any need for an upgrade - we had a wonderful view of the main pool and the ocean beyond. The bed was so comfortable, like sleeping on a cloud (reminded me of the Heavenly beds at the Westin, and that is difficult to come by). We also took advantage of the pillow menu. All of the food was excellent (we didn't try the French restaurant because we didn't book a reservation in time). Italian and Oriental were great, we love sushi and it was wonderful how he brought out a cart and we could pick however many pieces we wanted from the assortment of rolls. I cannot say enough great things about our experience at Le Blanc - we have paid just as much for other places that didn't offer half as much! I can't remember all the names, but some to mention: Lilia and Marta in the spa, Mariella in guest services, Ana on the wait staff for tirelessly bringing us drinks all day! We didn't do anything except eat, drink and lay in the Mexican sun. We have never been to the same place twice but my husband is already asking me if we should book another trip for the fall!

Room Tip: We stayed in #200 right by the elevator so I could hear the musical sound when the elevator reached...
5 Thank Ann A
I would like to express my most sincere thanks for the time you have taken to share this review with all Trip advisor readers, and for the valuable comments you have provided in it.
I was pleased to know that your vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfortable room accommodations, pillow menu and enjoyable food choices in our restaurants specially BlancOrient and BlancItalia. I will personally congratulate and reward all our staff, especially Enrique for the excellent personalize service provided, Samantha our gym teacher, Lilia and Martha at our spa facilities, Mariela at guest service and Ana who was always taking care of your needs. I am glad to know you are already planning your next visit to Le Blanc Spa Resort. We are waiting for your return and for the opportunity to pamper you again in the future.
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

My new wife and I spent our honeymoon week at Le Blanc from March 25 to April1st and we could not have picked a better place to go. I cannot say enough goods things about the service and the food and the atmosphere. We went to relax and that is exactly what we got. If you are looking for a party place this is not it. All you had to do is look like you needed something and there was someone there to assist you. Our days lazing around the pool where Jennette took great care of us were the well needed break we were looking for. The food was out of this world and the food and the presentation in the French restaurant were second to none. I think our favorite overall was the Asian Restaurant where the food was great but the waiters were fun and seemed genuinely interested in making our experience one that we will remember. Adolfo was one that stands out in my memory as he spoke very good English and and was able to answer our many questions about where to go and what to do on and off the resort. The rooms were a bit small but very clean and comfortable. We will definitely go back someday.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rickyramjet
Thank you for choosing Le Blanc Spa Resort to host such a special celebration as your honeymoon. I was delighted to know that our staff provided you with such an attentive service and that you were able to enjoy our food selection encountered, specially at our BlancOrient restaurant which became your favorite during your stay with us. Every detail in our resort is thoroughly planned to create a unique atmosphere of relaxation and endless luxury. Please be sure that Jennette and Adolfo will receive your greetings and will be congratulated for the excellent service provided. Thank you again for sharing your kind review, we all are looking forward on having you as our guests again once again.
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

It's difficult to find fault with the overall experience of staying at Le Blanc although some points I will make are largely as a critique rather than a criticism. Firstly, Cancun was never on our radar as a place we would choose to visit again but went because of the recommendation of their Le Blanc experience. We've stayed in many many all inclusives in many different countries and by far this is the best all inclusive we have experienced. Many other hotels could take some lessons about how to provide service as the staff here are very well trained and seem genuinely happy in their jobs and in providing service. As you get to know some of the staff whether it's the servers for breakfast or lunch, or those by the pool or at the beach, they greet you with a smile, often even know your name and what your preferences are. A special thanks to Guillermo from the third floor bar/club who was always going over and above. An incredibly dedicated and lovely man.

As we were celebrating a special anniversary, I contacted the hotel in advance via email to request that we get a king bed, high floor, ocean facing and a non-adjoining room if possible. While they couldn't guarantee all of this, we were pleased to see that all of my requests were accommodated. While our room overlooked the hurricane damaged hotel next door, we didn't care as we rarely spent any time in the room. Off to a good start.

Arrival: Although we are not Palace members, it wasn't until we met some others who were, that we realized that there are some with even more privileges. It's hard to imagine getting any better treatment than what we experienced. We took the package shuttle rather than a private taxi and this was quick and painless. I debated about taking a private taxi but it was exactly the same timing and only one other couple were dropped off at the hotel next door. Upon arrival you're greeted with a cool washcloth, a nice touch after travelling. The check-in was smooth and well managed making you feel so welcome with a warm shoulder wrap, a delicious coconut drink and a lovely fresia to bring to the room. The zen like atmosphere with the aroma therapy scents make a big impact as you start your relaxing holiday.

Room: The bed was very comfortable. We stayed in other all inclusives where the beds are like rocks. Not here. Others have sited the problem with the limited privacy when using the toilet. It might be uncomfortable for some, not an issue for us...but noted.
The minibar is fully stocked with stuff we barely touched. Full compliment of liquor, again we didn't touch since you can get anything you want at any bar throughout the hotel.

Restaurants: The buffet breakfast and lunches are fantastic! For those concerned about healthy eating, there's always a great selection. If you want to indulge, there's tons to choose from. Isabel is the most incredible omelet maker with the nicest smile. She is an artist!
Italian: We really liked this restaurant and had two very romantic dinners. Never a wait. Ask for the bruschetta. It's not on the menu but they come directly to your table to make it. The risotto was a bit too salty but otherwise everything was beautifully presented and it's evident they try hard.
International: We didn't love this restaurant as the night we went they were challenged in their service. It was still nice as we just like to sit, sip wine so not anything I would be critical about. Even the best restaurants can have an off night. We tried it only once. Decent menu though.
French: We went twice and really enjoyed our experience. Ordered ala carte rather than chef's tasting menu and got to try lots of different things. Often ended up seated beside people we had met which also makes for a fun evening.
Asian: Went to this restaurant twice and enjoyed it both times. Great service. Again, not everything is exactly how I like it but it is important to recognize where you are...Mexico.

Infinity Pool: The poolside music is something that I think should be addressed. Some want pop music, while others want nothing. Instead, the selection of music that is played is ambiant with annoying beats. I couldn't stand listening to it so opted to position ourselves on the level just below the pool, at the steps to the beach. Also spent time on the beach but as is typical of Cancun, the winds can really be strong some days which makes it hard to be on the beach. Playing some music and then taking a break with some times with no music might be a nice way to try to accommodate everyone's tastes. I don't want the Vegas pool feel but I also don't want techno beats. Some complained the pool was too warm but I loved it!
Loved the service at the pool bar and was a great place to meet up and chat with others.
Mid-afternoon a server comes through the pool serving ceviche off of a surf board. A very nice touch. Throughout the day, servers come around and bring popsicles as well. Another nice touch. Every day around 3pm, the sun goes behind the hotel. We would move to the lagoon pool at that time and I loved doing the aqua spinning there. Quiet, lovely area (despite some traffic noise) but this is where you can catch the sunset. It is the sunrise that's visible from your ocean facing room.
Beach: Walked the beach every day. Some of the walk can be difficult as in most areas you sink into the sand rather than being able to walk on the packed sand. The surf is rough most days and it's important to really respect the water. The colours of the Caribbean sea are incredible. This was a bit of a downside for me as I love to walk a beach where the sand is packed and hard. Just a personal preference about the location, not the hotel. Loved riding the waves on days when you could go in. Also had lunch one day by the beach. This was a lot of fun.
Spa: Loved going to the spa everyday around 4:30pm to use the sauna, wet steam, foot whirlpool, hot tub and other hydrotherapy pools. This is all included while the spa treatments are not. I showered in the spa rather than my room and loved using all of the amenities. Got a robe after my shower to go back up to my room.
Resort Credits: I wish they would lower the price of the hotel, lower the prices in the spa and not provide the resort credits. Let people go to the spa charging reasonable spa prices. We got $1500 and used $500 in spa treatments. Didn't use the other $1000. The wine was fine in the dining areas although I could've used some to upgrade. Since my husband doesn't drink wine and I didn't want a bottle for myself, I was just fine with the Spanish wine. We didn't want any excursions and the stuff from the hotel shops were of no interest.
Spa treatments: I loved my hot stone massage and my husband hated his massage. Feels he was manhandled by his masseur who told him he needed to get down deep to release the tension. He's not a spa person so none of this stuff held any interest for him. Had his first manicure ever which he enjoyed very much.

Night Life: We enjoyed going to the third floor lounge/club every night. Met some great people and enjoyed the karaoke with the DJ. The shows were ok and they tried hard. Gave us something to do. Fire show was too early for us to get there. Would've liked a later show...After dinner perhaps. There is not a busy happening night life here and most people seem to like it that way. Without the third floor club, Guillermo and the pool table, I think I would've been bored at night after dinner. I do like to stay up beyond 10pm some nights when on vacation. We met some great people who were likeminded and who we saw up there every night. That made it fun. I think this could be worked on a little to make sure there's an option for some night owls. We're in our fifties and would like a little more of a night life...and not have to leave the resort to find it. Something in between dull lobby bar and Senor Frogs would be perfect.

Activities and Gym: Loved the gym which is well appointed and took advantage of yoga, the reformer class, and the aqua spinning. Went everyday but still managed to gain 5 pounds. And that's watching how much I ate.

Lost and Found: I left my e-reader in my towels on my lounge chair and didn't realize this until the next day. I inquired with our butler Alex (please smile more) who took it on as a project to find it. Everyday Henry was the lovely young man who set up our lounge chairs and I knew that he might know. He had found the e-reader and turned it in. How fabulous! Alex the retrieved it from lost and found and with his butler uniform on, and shiny loafers, trudged along the sand to bring it right to me on the beach. An example of what it's like at Le Blanc.

We enjoyed every minute and it was worth the extra cost to experience this level of service at an all inclusive. Is it perfect? Nothing is...but loved getting the Le Blanc Royal Treatment.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Rocket06
Andreas S, Director General at Le Blanc Spa Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you very much for choosing Le Blanc Spa Resort as host of such an important event as your anniversary.

I appreciate deeply all the positive comments you have mentioned in your review and I am sure they will serve as a great help for our future guests. I was delighted to know your overall vacation experience with us exceeded your expectations and you enjoyed fully all those little details that we offer our guests in order to make their stay as pleasurable as possible. It was rewarding to know that your vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of the staff, gym classes, aromatherapy, enjoyable food choices in our restaurants with 2 romantic dinners at our BlancItalia and 2 successful visits to our French restaurant Lumiere. I am very pleased to know that you enjoy your nights at our BlancStage bar and were able to meet new people. Our Spa facilities are specially made to bring comfort and serenity to all our guest. It is great to know that your daily visit to our Hydrotherapy facilities was full of relaxing moments. Allow me to apologize for the bad experience that your husband lived at his massage treatment; we will take proper actions to prevent future discontent in these matters. All your comments and suggestions will be taken in consideration to improve and exceed all our guests’ expectation. Please be sure that Isabel, Guillermo, Alex and Henry will be congratulated for the excellent service provided during your stay with us. We are waiting for your return and for the opportunity to pamper you again in the future.