“Excellent place, just not quite a 5*”

Le Blanc Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed at Le Blanc for 5 nights...left on NYD so we were there for NYE. We have traveled extensively to many 'beach' resorts across Mexico and Southeast Asia. I would classify us as pretty average maintenance travelers...not demanding, don't expect perfection, but like to spend decent money on holidays and enjoy ourselves.

Le Blanc is an interesting review because typically places either generally disappoint or truly excel. Le Blanc leaned more toward excels, but as some have said it's just not quite there...it's 'almost' there. However it never really disappointed in any area. Here are some specifics:

Service:
At the service level...meaning the folks who actually provide the service...Le Blanc is phenomenal. Jesus our floor butler was fantastic. Laura at the main pool is one of the hardest working people I have ever seen. Raul at the pool bar was ridiculously awesome. Room service was always fast. Everyone at the buffet and restaurants were great. We have had slightly better service at a couple of boutique places in Asia, but for a resort this size it was by far the best i've seen. 5*

The small issues that I saw were in observing the operation and the process (management?), not in the effort of the staff. I'm a geek and it's sort of what I do for a living so I like to observe. Not a big issue to us - but also one of the reasons for not giving 5*. For example, one day around 10am when everyone was getting to the pool, they had a staff meeting at the bar for about 20mins. Didn't bother us, but I could see it as a reason why some people who have written reviews were upset at service speed. Why would you hold a meeting at the time when everyone was arriving and looking for service? There also isn't really any method to serving folks at the pools...the staff just sort of walks around...very inefficient. Why not have little flags people can raise if they want service, so there isn't any confusion? So easy and would be so much more efficient. Have also stayed in places where you have a button you can push to call for service. I could also tell that people who tipped certainly got preferential treatment vs those who weren't tipping. Nothing wrong with that, and was great for us as we love to tip and reward folks for their hard work, but at a 5* place there shouldn't be a distinction. Not for what you're paying already. And finally, there were always just a few things off at the buffet. For example most days at breakfast they didn't have napkins...so weird. Then would come out with a big pile from the laundry at random points. Bad planning. And for the NYE buffet dinner, they tried to set up a small steak and lobster grill outside, staffed by one poor young kid who was trying to serve 20 people. The grill wasn't hot enough, and there was no coordination in the line, so people like me stood there for 20mins waiting and finally gave up. However - and this goes back to how awesome the staff is - they finally started cooking steak and lobster everywhere they could...on the griddle inside, in pans at other stations, etc. All out effort by the staff to correct a problem that should never have happened in the first place.

Again - we're not snobby travelers - so I marveled more at the staff's effort to overcome these issues more than got frustrated at any of it. But all of it was avoidable, and 5* places avoid it and set their staff up for success. Also wanted to provide specific examples, as some of you like us couldn't care less, but I know some of you wouldn't stand for it :)

Food:
OK...good but not amazing. However the breakfast buffet is probably the best i've had for a hotel buffet, and we've stayed at some nice places. Superb quality. We did the beach dinner with steak and lobster, which was very cool, but the food was 'meh'. I think the best part was the chocolate dessert - fantastic. Overall the experience was great, but the food wasn't brilliant. Generally the restaurants were good...excellent for an all-inclusive, but not top-shelf restaurant type good. I will say though that there is a chicken sandwich on the room service menu that I absolutely freaking loved. Ordered it 3 times I think - very simple but so tasty. We ate once for lunch at the terrace and our food was cold...I had a calzone and my wife had pizza. The calzone was excellent - although I could tell they forgot it so it had been sitting for a bit and got cold. No biggie - would highly recommend and the staff was fun.

Room:
Again just OK. A bit of a letdown for what you pay. Nothing really special but not bad either. We booked a Junior Suite and ended up with a lagoon view, which was a little disappointing. Although I know with a Jr Suite you run that risk, so no deduction there :) Lots of natural light and enjoyed having a walkout balcony with table plus a french balcony. With an ocean view it's probably the best room other than the Presidential. Where I do take off points is the noise level...as every night around 1-2am our next door neighbors would come home drunk and screaming outside our door at each other. Was so loud they might as well have been standing next to our bed. No problem with folks having fun - but a 5* place doesn't have that issue...unfortunately in that case there isn't really a fix.

Pool/Beach:
We actually never went to the beach other than the dinner, but it was much nicer than I expected. Much more beach than I thought there would be, and the sand if soft and beautiful and the water is clear and very nice. At the pool - and this is another small deduction - sadly there was the standard 'chair reserving' that went on in the morning. Typically i'm guessing it's not an issue, but since it was NYE I assume they were at capacity. So if you weren't out there early or had tipped staff to reserve a chair, then you were out of luck. Any other time I think you're fine, but the main pool chairs filled up fast. Of course you could always go to the lagoon pool, which we did a couple of times and really enjoyed, but there shouldn't be an issue with main pool chairs at a place like this. The pool itself was great, although around 3pm every day the shade takes over and everyone starts to pack up. The staff also starts coming out around 4pm to clean up, and seems more focused on putting everything away than serving at that point. Very nice touch though was bringing everyone out popsicles as things wound down.

Spa/Gym:
Spa is AMAZING. Brilliant. Did hydrotherapy twice and had two massages. By far and not even close the two best massages i've ever had. The facility is fantastic - way more than I expected. Very, very relaxing. Would never of course pay those prices, but with resort credits it was no problem. Just great. The gym also was brilliant for a hotel/resort. Classes all day and plenty of machines and weights. Spa and gym are truly, truly excellent.

Other random stuff:
Another good example of the service I mentioned above - roughly 3 weeks before our stay I got an email about reserving spa and tours. I replied with spa services we'd like and times to reserve, as I figured for NYE it's best to reserve early. I never got a reply. I followed up several times - no reply. I emailed two other people, who assured me the first person would reply that day with confirmations. No reply - ever. Once we arrived at the resort I confirmed the appts had never been booked, so we had to book whatever times they now had available. Those times were fine - but a 5* place shouldn't have this issue. Of course the staff at the resort absolutely bent completely over backwards to fix it and let us know it's not acceptable. Asked me to forward the email chain, and also took us to the airport for free in the Navigator. Service above and beyond - but all those folks should never have had to deal with it. But they more than made up for it - covering for someone else's mistake.

Bottom line is Le Blanc is really, really nice all-inclusive, but it's still an all-inclusive. So set your expectations appropriately. It has some of the same issues most all-inclusives do, but goes above and beyond with service. For the price I just can't give it 5*, although the staff on-site is absolutely 5* without a doubt. We won't go back, mostly because we always like to try new places, and it just didn't blow us away. But it's very nice, and the best all-inclusive in Mexico we've been to.

Room Tip: Be careful with Junior Suites...more expensive than Honeymoon Oceanfront and more natural light and...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank titanwiz
Andreas S, Director General at Le Blanc Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Thank you very much for bringing to my attention details of your recent Le Blanc Spa experience. It really concerned me to see all the multiple inconveniences you faced during your stay. Please let me assure you that our only goal day by day is the comfort of our guests and everyone is doing their greatest effort to make our guests feel welcome and create memories. Our customer service is our biggest asset, which I feel greatly proud off. It flatters me to know that they were the ones who made the difference during your stay. Jesus, Laura and Raul have been already congratulated for the excellent job provided during your stay. I am really sorry we couldn’t prevent these inconveniences, and ensure you a memorable stay with us. I would really appreciate if you would give us the opportunity to amend these disappointments, during your future stay. I understand that your previous stay may make you hesitant on returning to Le Blanc Spa Resort; but let me assure you that your valuable feedback has helped us improve our service significantly. We truly hope to have the opportunity to present you the improvements made due to your help.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,089)

Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Le blanc over the new years holiday. It was our third trip and Leblanc manages to keep getting better and better! Fantastic rooms- oceanfront honeymoon suites are incredible. I swear that housekeeping cleaned our room at least twice a day and did a turn down service as well. I believe our housekeeper was Magolie R. and she did an awesome job. The entire place is really spotless. Service- you couldn't ask for more. These people work hard to ensure your comfort and happiness. Francisco and Fernando H. provided great service and were standouts in the international. They made us laugh so hard and they even got us special drinks. Food and drinks- once again, all EXCELLENT!! They don't skimp on the alcohol. Each drink that I had was excellent. So much variety and all of the food is beautifully presented. The spa was also very relaxing, clean and comfortable. I can't wait to get back to Le Blanc.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank funtraveler78

It is a real pleasure to read your review, and to know that your stay with us was even better than your last. At Le Blanc Spa Resort to exceed our guests expectations is a must; it is rewarding to hear that Francisco, Magolie and Fernando delivered a wonderful service during your stay with us. Hoping to have the opportunity to welcome you to your home away from home!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I write this at 32,000 feet on our way back to Minnesota where it is a balmy 7 degrees. We just left Le Blanc after a week stay. Once again, they set the bar for all inclusives in Cancun area. This was our 3rd trip in 3 years to this oasis. I have 2 prior reviews. And have left out much of my praise as one can look at these reviews.

People I want to mention:
Lucinda: pool concierge. Fantastic person and works tirelessly. Always has a smile and waves a kiss.
Laura: pool concierge. Likewise a tireless worker. Like Lucinda, she takes pride in making the pool experience the best it can be.
Guillermo: lobby bar bartender. Fantastic conversions. As always. A well traveled man with a very interesting past.
Alan: international restaurant waiter. Works hard with a great attitude. Always pushing the Don Julio Blanco tequila.
Cesar and Fernanado: our butlers. It's the little things that the butlers provide. These are top notch.

My review as always is effusive. Stay here. You wil not be disappointed. But with life, not everyone gets a trophy. Here are a few very small criticisms.

Sometimes we just want "normal" food. Le Blanc has very fine cuisine. I would add some different dishes especially to the pool menu. We asked for club sandwiches which are off the menu. They made them perfectly. A always, just ask. The French fries at the pool often came cold. This should be rectified and I am sure will be. I don't want to be that person so to speak but for a 5 diamond...

Warning about areas undergoing construction and cleaning. A window washer was repelling down the side of our room. Let's just say he got to see more of me than he would like.

Hot tub is undergoing renovation. Please turn the temperature up. The pool is also heated and could be adjusted up a few degrees.

I noticed some new renovations such as blancstage. Looks great and the layout is spectacular. Still I want to underscore to people that Le Blanc is not the place for a robust night life. We are usually in bed by 1100 pm. Not many stay up much later. So consider yourself warned.

Lastly, Le Blanc added Cabanas for $129 per day. We did them for 2 days. I would gladly stay in a lagoon view room and save the money for the cabana. Well worth the price.

All in all, our favorite place to vacation in Cancun. We can't wait to get back.

Room Tip: Save the money on an ocean view and rent a cabana
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank cal1178

First of all allow me to thank you for taking the time to write a third review, regarding the experienced lived during your stay at Le Blanc Spa Resort. It is great to see how many staff members, were key to make your stay another successful one. Be sure that Lucinda, Laura, Guillermo, Alan, Cesar and Fernando will be congratulated for such a terrific customer service delivered. Regarding the constructive criticisms made, allow me to let you know that it will help us tremendously when it comes to improving the quality service delivered to our guests. We hope to have the opportunity to host you one fourth time, to present you the improvements made, due to your valuable feedback.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

This was an amazing resort, the people are absolutely amazing and greet you every time you pass them int he hall, asking if they can help you. The food was amazing, on our last night there we had a sit down dinner of Steak/Shrimp, and it was the best steak and shrimp ever, we took pictures of the salad, main course, and dessert, as the food was amazing... so was the presentation!!!! Absolutely the most amazing resort i have ever stayed at. We had a room on the 8th floor, ocean view... wow!!! the view was amazing. Heated pools, swim up bars, bartenders were great, brought our lunch poolside a couple days when we ordered, or you can eat in the restaurants, which are amazing as well. They really go above and beyond at Le Blanc, although i came here with a group and did not pick it myself, i dont think i could have picked a more relaxing resort. i had a massage at the spa, that was wonderful!! i would love to make a return visit, and would highly recommend it to any friends and family if going to Mexico!!

Room Tip: all rooms have a good view, overlooking pools on both sides, of course ocean view is beautiful, but...
Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Julie T

It is so rewarding to read such a positive review, in which we have the opportunity to see how memorable your stay at Le Blanc was. I am glad to read that you were able to enjoy the quality of the food, our heated pools, bars, and our unique customer service. It is so rewarding to know that you have very highly positioned us as the most amazing resort you have ever been too. We look forward to welcome you soon.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

This place is first class all the way from the moment you walk in the door until you leave. The service is outstanding with staff always trying to go the extra mile. The food is top quality - every meal was fantastic. The Honeymoon Suite is very spacious and comfortable with a spectacular view of the beach. We had a great week for our honeymoon and relaxed by the pool and at the swim-up bars. This place has more of a Zen feel to it so if you're looking for a party-type atmosphere this isn't for you. Overall, I highly recommend the resort and would love to go back someday!!

Room Tip: Beach view for sure!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Erik B
Andreas S, Director General at Le Blanc Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

It is always a pleasure to receive such a positive comments about time spent at Le Blanc Spa Resort. Our every day goal is to exceed the expectations of our dear guests and it makes me feel proud that our team managed to make you feel relaxed and comfortable. We all are looking forward to serve you again in the future and always remain at your disposal for any assistance.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I love this hotel. I've been twice and have sent numerous people to it. It is effortless. The atmosphere is relaxed and airy. The pool is so beautiful and casual. Loved the choices of food and wine. I can't say enough good things.
When we arrived, we were welcomed and were told how the hotel was laid out and the different restaurants and activities. I feel like you could have a book reading vacation or a fun-filled activity
holiday and you would be pleased either way. They had things to do or avoid- it's up to you.
The spa was beautiful and the grotto was so relaxing. My facial was great. I did have some trouble taking yoga but that seemed to be the instructor having a bad week.
The room was fantastic. we booked on Expedia but had a great ocean view and a bottle of wine waiting for us. We could sit in our jacuzzi tub and look at the ocean!! just fantastic.
I will only go back to LeBlanc. Having just tried another hotel- this is really above and beyond the others.

Room Tip: we had an ocean/pool view room. Just beautiful.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jen C

We are very fortunate to have many guests returning to Le Blanc and making it their second home, and I hope it is exactly the way we make you feel every time you arrive to spend a pleasant vacation. I am glad that rooms, SPA, attentiveness of the service – all contributed to make Le Blanc you favorite vacation spot. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance while planning your next visit to you home away from home.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

The service, the ambience, the food, the views, the beach, all are just amazing! Our experience reminded us of the intimacy and personalized service we have experienced on small luxury cruise ships. We are planning a return visit very soon.

Room Tip: Lagoon view is great. Ocean view is also great. Not sure if there is a bad view from any room. The...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank ehutch1000

It is a true pleasure to know that your vacation with us was so enjoyable and the memories you’ve made here will bring you back to our resort in the future. We are looking forward to have you as our guests again for another memorable experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
1 mi away
Hyatt Ziva Cancun
Hyatt Ziva Cancun
#4 of 176 in Cancun

Been to Le Blanc Spa Resort? Share your experiences!